The Liverpool FC Forum > The Boozer

Workplace drinking

(1/10) > >>

Charlie Adams fried egg:
I saw an article in the Guardian about this
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/18/office-drinking-culture-slowed-down-in-the-90s-but-not-for-journalists-and-now-they-are-running-the-country

Given recent events, it's pretty clear there's a thriving drinking culture still in No 10.

I'd be interested to know what it's like in other industries?

When I started in the financial sector in the very early 90's I was regaled with tales of how much drinking was done in the 60's 70's and 80's and a few of the old guard took great delight in telling me how I'd missed out.
As the article said, after work pints were still common as were a couple of lunchtime ones on a Friday. 2 and driving was still seen as acceptable then, which is something I'd never do now. One older colleague told me how in the 70's he wouldn't drink at weekends because he'd had so much as part of his normal working week. Some of the older heads were still in the habit of a few pints at lunch, close the office door in the afternoon, then a couple of pints and the evening paper at the pub on their way home, but within a couple of years they were all restructured out.

Crosby Nick:
Hard to remember given I’ve not been in an office for the best part of 2 years!

When I started out a Friday lunchtime pint (two if possible) was quite common. Post work drinks probably two or three times a week as well although that wasn’t really a workplace drinking culture, was just young people fancying some beers!

In recent years it’s felt like less of a thing, maybe I’m just not invited anymore! The odd Friday lunch, and maybe one or two after work but that was about it.

Elmo!:
I'm In the oil industry. We are generally expected to observe the same health and safety rules as they do offshore so absolutely no drinking in the office for us. Even when they put on Christmas lunch in the canteen it's alcohol free beer and wine.

rob1966:
Worked in a hotel kitchen when I was 20/21, I'm not surprised car insurance is so loaded for people who work in licensed premises, I was drinking right through the day, doing up to 70 pints a week.

Once I started working in Tool Hire, then there was no drinking at all, until I moved over into the IT Dept in 2001. Then we'd go the pub for dinner about once a week, have a couple of pints, but even that died a death. Needless to say, on the HGV's, I don't drink ;D

Kenny's Jacket:
Ive had a strong drinking culture in the office all my career

Worked in glasgow and every lunch time 2/3 pints

We got 90 mins on a Friday  so that was 4/5

In KL we would send the staff home/mosque for prayers on Friday lunchtime, and get cans in the office just incase the phone rang, if it did it would be the odd Chinese clients.

our Manchester office, by 4 pm we had gone to the offy, having got back from a 2 hour pub meeting. if you had a good week you can get on it by 3.  Most would then stay in the office beyond half 5

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version