Author Topic: Merseyrail - now with added 777  (Read 52222 times)

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Re: Merseyrail
« Reply #80 on: August 7, 2021, 06:45:36 am »
It's interesting how Arriva Trains Wales just picked up some surplus London Tube trains for the Bidston-Wrexham run.  I think they're diesel/electric, but if Merseyrail want to integrate the service, they'll need more than seven units. 

They only have 52 units (I thought it was 58), so they'll need to pick up that option on the extra 60 if they want to get to Preston, Skem, Wigan, Wrexham, and provide an alternative route to Southport. Some stretches of those routes will have overhead wires, but it will probably be a case of laying unelectrified track.

Don't know why they mention the Baltic though, as that's on the third rail network.

It's not Arriva Trains Wales anymore, the franchise went to KeolisAmey rebranded as Transport For Wales a couple of years ago, but yep i've seen the ex tube train in the sidings at Birkenhead North depot, they're ex tube D stock, used on the sub surface lines on the tube network, rebuilt as class 230 diesel electric multiple unit or battery EMU, more here
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_230
#Sausages

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: August 7, 2021, 09:24:54 am »
Here's another little trip down memory lane for the old Class 503 trains. It's great to see some film of their interiors, something I thought I'd never ever see.  It's even odder seeing them next to the then brand new 508s. :)

You might want to mute the sound though, as there's a constant "film camera clacking" sound in the background and it's fucking annoying. ;D

EDIT: just to clarify, the first four minutes of the video deal with the 503s, then it's some horse drawn buses, then about eight minutes in you see some 503s again, but this time in their original livery.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ih-lUuOGL0A&amp;t=5s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Ih-lUuOGL0A&amp;t=5s</a>

Found this. https://theisleofthanetnews.com/2018/05/30/last-surviving-mersey-rail-class-503-train-arrives-at-locomotive-storage-in-margate/ Can't find any info on how the restoration is going though
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: August 7, 2021, 08:45:03 pm »
It's not Arriva Trains Wales anymore, the franchise went to KeolisAmey rebranded as Transport For Wales a couple of years ago, but yep i've seen the ex tube train in the sidings at Birkenhead North depot, they're ex tube D stock, used on the sub surface lines on the tube network, rebuilt as class 230 diesel electric multiple unit or battery EMU, more here
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_230

Ah yes of course, my bad. The new trains look quite sleek. As I understand it, they'll be using their diesel engines seeing as the line is, of course, not electrified?

Found this. https://theisleofthanetnews.com/2018/05/30/last-surviving-mersey-rail-class-503-train-arrives-at-locomotive-storage-in-margate/ Can't find any info on how the restoration is going though

Yeah mate.  I've ploughed through the Wiki entry a few times.  I believe the train was in Coventry for a bit before being transferred into storage?  I don't think it's in the process of being restored though.

It's amazing to think that the first EMUs to run through the Mersey Rail Tunnel were actually American built, and were superseded by the 503s. The new 777s are only the fourth type of EMU to run on the network in 118 years of electrification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersey_Railway_electric_units
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2021, 01:40:33 am »
Another video of the new 777s. Not very long, but relatively recent.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/S0-JP3fmcK8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/S0-JP3fmcK8</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: September 2, 2021, 04:22:57 pm »
Why the fuck are the trains still 20 mins apart? It’s only making the trains more busier the stupid lazy fucks.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #85 on: September 2, 2021, 04:33:21 pm »
Why the fuck are the trains still 20 mins apart? It’s only making the trains more busier the stupid lazy fucks.

Could well be they haven't got enough drivers & guards just yet
#Sausages

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: September 2, 2021, 04:47:40 pm »
Could well be they haven't got enough drivers & guards just yet

Is it fuck. I go through central and they’ve got about 15 of them standing around talking to each other.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #87 on: September 2, 2021, 07:54:27 pm »
Is it fuck. I go through central and they’ve got about 15 of them standing around talking to each other.

I doubt it's drivers standing around.

If in doubt ask them?

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: September 2, 2021, 08:24:29 pm »

I doubt it's drivers standing around.

If in doubt ask them?

Train the 15 that are standing around to be drivers then?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: September 2, 2021, 09:48:37 pm »
Train the 15 that are standing around to be drivers then?

Maybe the '15' standing around haven't got the aptitude to be a driver?

Maybe the missing drivers are now driving HGVs? :D

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: September 2, 2021, 10:09:06 pm »
Drivers are training up on the new 777s; and more often testing/training is taking place in the daytime, so there needs to be clear track for them to run. And of course, drivers in training aren't available to run current services.

Two of the current fleet were scrapped last year. Presumably, the one involved in the crash at Kirkby won't be repaired. Assuming some units are probably under maintenance at any given time, and others kept in reserve for peak times or emergencies, there might be a shortage of units to run. The fleet is down to something like 55-57 trains.

I think the most likely explanation is the first one though.

PS: there's apparently open days on the 9th and 11th September where the new trains will be at Birkenhead North. 10am to 2pm.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: September 3, 2021, 08:49:19 am »
Maybe the '15' standing around haven't got the aptitude to be a driver?

Maybe the missing drivers are now driving HGVs? :D

Nah, no fucker is doing that ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: September 3, 2021, 11:50:35 am »
Nah, no fucker is doing that ;D

Send the 15 idle hands then. I'm sure they can hog the middle lane with the best. ;D

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: September 3, 2021, 07:03:56 pm »
Send the 15 idle hands then. I'm sure they can hog the middle lane with the best. ;D

We stay in lane 1, its flows the best. Then when we are bored we play the "lets drive along next to each other to piss the car drivers off" game.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: September 5, 2021, 04:40:30 pm »
I was at Cressington on Thursday and noticed that the old drinking water fountain had the date '1871' engraved on the stone work.

150 years old!

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: September 5, 2021, 08:11:29 pm »
I was at Cressington on Thursday and noticed that the old drinking water fountain had the date '1871' engraved on the stone work.

150 years old!

You'll find some of the oldest rail infrastructure in the world on Merseyside. Some of the stations are really beautiful! :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: September 9, 2021, 05:40:00 pm »
I went to the open day today at Birkenhead North to have a gander at one of the new trains.  Man, there's nothing like the smell of new train! :D

I got a few tidbits of information as well. So far, Merseyrail have only taken delivery of about a dozen trains, and only two of them are service ready.  They have to do 1500 miles before they can be certified, so they're running them as much as they can at night.

Looks like they have enough to run the West Kirby and New Brighton routes, but still no word on when they might enter service. The guy I talked to said about bringing them into the Wirral Line first - all at once rather than a phased transition - but I don't know if he just meant West Kirby and New Brighton or Chester and Ellesmere Port as well.

They look pretty amazing, inside and out, although the seating is noticeably much firmer than on the current trains.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #97 on: September 9, 2021, 05:54:42 pm »
I went to the open day today at Birkenhead North to have a gander at one of the new trains.  Man, there's nothing like the smell of new train! :D

I got a few tidbits of information as well. So far, Merseyrail have only taken delivery of about a dozen trains, and only two of them are service ready.  They have to do 1500 miles before they can be certified, so they're running them as much as they can at night.

Looks like they have enough to run the West Kirby and New Brighton routes, but still no word on when they might enter service. The guy I talked to said about bringing them into the Wirral Line first - all at once rather than a phased transition - but I don't know if he just meant West Kirby and New Brighton or Chester and Ellesmere Port as well.

They look pretty amazing, inside and out, although the seating is noticeably much firmer than on the current trains.

Damn, i forgot about this today, but at least there having another one on Saturday same at the place.
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: September 9, 2021, 06:18:36 pm »
Damn, i forgot about this today, but at least there having another one on Saturday same at the place.

Yeah, I couldn't do the Saturday so I made a point of going today. Took some nice pictures of it. :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #99 on: September 9, 2021, 07:28:26 pm »

I got a few tidbits of information as well. So far, Merseyrail have only taken delivery of about a dozen trains, and only two of them are service ready. They have to do 1500 miles before they can be certified, so they're running them as much as they can at night.

I was at the level crossing at Hall Road on the Northern Line and saw one going past. It only had rail staff onboard. It looked really nice.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: September 9, 2021, 08:22:23 pm »
Here's a few of the pictures I took. I had to resize them for upload but the quality should be decent enough.  I took a lot more than this though.

I knew about the sockets and usb chargers, and some chairs are folding to accommodate wheelchairs.  The destination displays look nice, although I imagine most people who use the trains know the journey times in their sleep so it's probably mostly for the tourists.  The trains must have aircon though, as the windows are sealed, I didn't know that, or forgot it if I did!

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2021, 12:37:53 pm »
Here's a few of the pictures I took. I had to resize them for upload but the quality should be decent enough.  I took a lot more than this though.

I knew about the sockets and usb chargers, and some chairs are folding to accommodate wheelchairs.  The destination displays look nice, although I imagine most people who use the trains know the journey times in their sleep so it's probably mostly for the tourists.  The trains must have aircon though, as the windows are sealed, I didn't know that, or forgot it if I did!

A lot smarter than the last time I was on a Merseyrail train (2005). See what you mean about the seats, they're like the new buses, dead thin.

For your pics, create a free account of photobox, you can then put your pics there and post them on here using the image tab.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2021, 06:32:02 pm »

For your pics, create a free account of photobox, you can then put your pics there and post them on here using the image tab.

Interesting. I used to have a dropbox account for that sort of thing, but they decided to shut the public folder option down.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2021, 06:51:58 pm »
Interesting. I used to have a dropbox account for that sort of thing, but they decided to shut the public folder option down.

I've saved one of your pics to a private album on photobox and can share it here.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 06:54:27 pm by rob1966 »

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2021, 07:17:31 pm »
I've saved one of your pics to a private album on photobox and can share it here.

Before I scrolled down, the imagination did run a bit wild... ;D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2021, 08:31:36 pm »

Cheers!  I'll look into it! :)

Before I scrolled down, the imagination did run a bit wild... ;D

Me and Rob keep those pics to PM mate. ;)

Popcorn's Art

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2021, 08:53:26 pm »
Cheers!  I'll look into it! :)

Me and Rob keep those pics to PM mate. ;)

:lmao
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2021, 11:31:16 pm »
Showing some sparks here.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8WLjzgHCJXc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8WLjzgHCJXc</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: October 1, 2021, 08:03:19 am »
Very impressive mate :)
All they've got to do now is train their staff. Two of them told my daughter yesterday that that the train from Moorfields to Huntscross doesn't stop at South Parkway and so she was going to get off in Aigburth until she overheard someone on the train.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 1, 2021, 10:48:40 am »
All they've got to do now is train their staff. Two of them told my daughter yesterday that that the train from Moorfields to Huntscross doesn't stop at South Parkway and so she was going to get off in Aigburth until she overheard someone on the train.

Bloody hell. :o

Popcorn's Art

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #110 on: October 1, 2021, 11:46:05 am »

I was going to Bristol just before COVID, train to Birmingham where I got my change was cancelled. They told me in SPW to go to Lime Street and get a train from there, Lime Street said they don’t have different trains Birmingham (obviously) and that I should go to SPW where my ticket is valid and wait for a replacement bus. Bus was predicted to be there an hour later…..

I eventually worked out I could go to Manchester and get the Bristol train I would be on anyway. Felt like nobody even wanted to look at where I was heading and just pass me onto someone else. Was a good laugh really, only took 9 hours in the end.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they have no training at all though to be honest, seems a regular thing in work places these days
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 1, 2021, 02:32:15 pm »
That seems to be a side effect of privatisation in general.  The onus is always thrown onto the passenger/customer to do the legwork figuring out what's best.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 1, 2021, 04:06:13 pm »
^ ^ ^
Bloody hell Elz, that's nut.
Absolutely unforgiveable incompetency.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #113 on: October 4, 2021, 11:22:52 am »
Am I weird to want a map of their framed on my wall?  Something like THIS.  I have no idea why!  ;D  Think I'm officially approaching the "Middle-aged gimp" level of life now.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 4, 2021, 12:27:18 pm »
Am I weird to want a map of their framed on my wall?  Something like THIS.  I have no idea why!  ;D  Think I'm officially approaching the "Middle-aged gimp" level of life now.

Oooh. You'll really enjoy the 'Secrets of the Underground' series then. A rare opportunity to visit hidden and derelict Tube stations.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #115 on: October 4, 2021, 01:16:47 pm »
Oooh. You'll really enjoy the 'Secrets of the Underground' series then. A rare opportunity to visit hidden and derelict Tube stations.
I've visited the Disused Stations website for the past ten years or so now, even added a couple of Wikipedia pages on some of the old Wirral Way stations.  So maybe I'm just a general old fart in a slightly younger-than-old-fart body!  There was this too: https://www.channel5.com/show/walking-britains-lost-railways/

Going to have that show on in the background while I have some lunch now!
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2021, 07:58:53 pm »
One of the new trains is going to be at Southport station this coming Saturday 23rd between 10am & 2pm, if anyone wants to pop along & take a look.
https://www.merseyrail.org/news/back-by-popular-demand-new-train-to-visit-southport-1.aspx
#Sausages

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2021, 08:41:44 pm »
They've taken the ramps out of St Michael's Station. Fair enough, as they're installing lifts, but for the time being there's no way wheelchairs can access the platform.  A couple had to carry their pram down the steps, which have been brought back into use. No telling when they will start putting the lifts in, or how long it will take to do so.

Popcorn's Art

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2021, 09:07:29 am »
They've taken the ramps out of St Michael's Station. Fair enough, as they're installing lifts, but for the time being there's no way wheelchairs can access the platform.  A couple had to carry their pram down the steps, which have been brought back into use. No telling when they will start putting the lifts in, or how long it will take to do so.

Aiming to have them in by the end of January 2022. Not ideal as it gets colder/icier but should make a huge difference to accessibility

It does look strange with 2 holes poking out of the side of the building

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2021, 06:32:31 pm »
Aiming to have them in by the end of January 2022. Not ideal as it gets colder/icier but should make a huge difference to accessibility

It does look strange with 2 holes poking out of the side of the building

It looks very odd indeed. Three months is a long time for restricted access mind, especially with a number of other stations not having great access either.

You'd have thought last spring or even autumn would have been a better time to install them, rather than winter.

Popcorn's Art