Author Topic: Caoimhín Kelleher  (Read 166065 times)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Camomile Kelleher
« Reply #80 on: December 1, 2020, 11:14:56 pm »
He looked good, did young Caoimhin.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #81 on: December 1, 2020, 11:20:10 pm »
Really struggling with his first name. Not heard anyone pronounce it clearly on a video.

It looks like one of those Irish names where the spelling and pronunciation have no relationship - like 'Siobhan'.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: December 1, 2020, 11:20:55 pm »
He did what he needed to do. You expect your keeper to make those saves and he did. In saying that the last save from him against huntelaar was similar to a recent one where Adrian let it go through his arms.

I don’t remember him booting it into the stands five times but do remember two that went out for throws, could well have been more but what is certain is that he brought a calming influence when the ball was passed back to him and you could see it in the back four. Nobody was panicking and that’s what you need.

I don’t think anybody thinks he’ll ever be our number one and that’s fine. What we do need is a number two who doesn’t make all of us shit ourselves anytime the ball goes near them.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: December 1, 2020, 11:28:25 pm »
Good player; but very difficult name. I prefer aaaadrian. how do you actually pronounce that ?

he should marry siobhan
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #84 on: December 1, 2020, 11:29:32 pm »
Really struggling with his first name. Not heard anyone pronounce it clearly on a video.
Me neither and I watched all the commentary, analysis and interviews. I think everyone says it as quick as they can so they don't get caught mispronouncing it.

Sounds like "Kweem".

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: December 1, 2020, 11:33:37 pm »
Pronounced kwee-veen in my neck of the woods

Offline The Last Known Survivor

• Anny Roader
« Reply #86 on: December 1, 2020, 11:34:44 pm »
Qwee-veen

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #87 on: December 1, 2020, 11:36:02 pm »
On the official in Jurgen's interview they've shortened it to Queev.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #88 on: December 1, 2020, 11:37:58 pm »
Me neither and I watched all the commentary, analysis and interviews. I think everyone says it as quick as they can so they don't get caught mispronouncing it.

Sounds like "Kweem".

He was a Portuguese keeper I think.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: December 1, 2020, 11:40:12 pm »

It looks like one of those Irish names where the spelling and pronunciation have no relationship - like 'Siobhan'.
No video and even though I’m Irish my grasp of our language is terrible, thanks brits... I will say though that the spelling and pronunciation are correct in Irish which of course is a different language to English.

The female version of the name is far more popular here than the male but I’ve heard that being pronounced in two ways, key va or kwee va. So his name would be key veen or more likely kwee veen since the comms on the matches must have been told to call him that.

I will probably find out from a more knowledgable Irish red that they would be spelled differently but to be honest I’ve rarely if ever seen any version written down.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #90 on: December 1, 2020, 11:41:05 pm »
Shall we go with Queef?

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: December 1, 2020, 11:42:57 pm »
Shall we go with Queef?
:lmao

Who messed with your username?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #92 on: December 1, 2020, 11:43:42 pm »
Its short for  ... Ali.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #93 on: December 1, 2020, 11:43:48 pm »
MOTM save at the end there

We had Caoimhin Keegan.

;D

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #94 on: December 1, 2020, 11:47:04 pm »

https://twitter.com/ConorMcNamaraIE/status/1333914967825899521
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #95 on: December 1, 2020, 11:48:00 pm »
Kwee-veen is about as close as you'll get. In my neck of the woods the kwee part is said pretty qucikly with more emphasis on the veen part.

A bit like the man above says it  ;D
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: December 1, 2020, 11:51:52 pm »

Siobhan is pronounced exactly how it’s spelled... if you’re a native Irish speaker.

Caoimhín is roughly pronounced kwee-veen. It’s the Irish for Kevin.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: December 1, 2020, 11:58:14 pm »
Adrian was part of something truly great and he'll never be forgotten. Correct decision today.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: December 2, 2020, 12:14:41 am »
Really pleased for the lad. He’s got that calm confidence that so many of the boys who have come through the Academy seem to have.
Be more than happy to see him against Wolves and Fulham, and then hopefully Ali can come back against Spurs on the 16th.
I like Adrian but think he’s dropped to 3rd choice now

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: December 2, 2020, 12:18:01 am »
Interesting. I'm big into Kelleher playing but ... I wonder if Klopp decided that given tonight would be a football on the ground kind of match CK would suit it. He was right too. Very assured, calm, good with the ball at his feet. He's a pretty good shot stopper kind of keeper too. So that might be the template going forward. I see no problem him playing against Wolves, (The Danes don't matter). Don't know too much about how Fulham play but I think Kelleher might struggle against a lump it into the box outfit. But fair dues to him. Ringmahon Rangers gotta be proud tonight.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: December 2, 2020, 12:44:04 am »
Irish mates already trying to get him in as #1 Keeper for them.  ;D

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: December 2, 2020, 12:46:48 am »
Irish mates already trying to get him in as #1 Keeper for them.  ;D
Kenny basically said he would be number 1 now if he had of got a loan in the summer. It was just game time stopping him from getting the position . He said he was going on loan in Holland but the plug was pulled when Allison got injured.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #103 on: December 2, 2020, 12:54:50 am »
Good performance.

There is no way Adrian should get back in after tonight. If he does I’ll be a bit disappointed to be honest.
YWNA

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #104 on: December 2, 2020, 01:03:00 am »
Just Caoim hín here to say pop the Corks, that was an exceptional night for young Kev. The false beard added to the intrigue.

Just looked, you know, well good
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #106 on: December 2, 2020, 01:46:24 am »
Shall we go with Queef?
Nick, did you have a major accident? That name change is worrisome...  ;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline El_Pelusa_10

• Kopite
  • Diego Armando Maradona-Greatest Player Of All Time
« Reply #107 on: December 2, 2020, 02:45:29 am »
Was a midfielder until he was 14 apparently and was on the Kennedy Cup as a midfielder (team made up of the best players in Cork)

https://www.echolive.ie/corksport/Ringmahon-coach-reveals-Liverpool-keeper-Kelleher-started-up-front-as-the-teams-top-scorer-d7cea2e9-96d5-4998-a485-bb41ba81495b-ds#.X8aU2tejy7Q.twitter

CAOIMHÍN Kelleher was making his name as talented, goalscoring striker when the opportunity he truly craved finally arrived.

In the days leading up to an important fixture in Ringmahon Rangers’ bid to avoid relegation from the Cork Schoolboys League U14 Premier Division, manager Eddie Harrington was dealt a blow as his first choice goalkeeper decided to quit.

“We didn’t know what we were going to do,” admitted Harrington, until the solution came from an unlikely source.

“I got a phone call one night off Ray (Caoimhín’s father) and he just said he heard we needed a keeper and would we take a chance and put Caoimhín in goal,” he added.

“Initially we were like ‘why would we put one of our best outfield players in goal?’ He was getting 20, 30 goals a season. I remember chatting to one of the other managers and thinking what are we going to do without him outfield?

“He was in the Kennedy Cup panel at the time as a striker but we didn’t know he was falling in goal with them as well at times in training.

“Ray was saying he was doing well and they think he would make a great keeper. Caoimhín used go in goal in training with us as well but we never took it seriously, we thought it was more of a laugh.

“He really enjoyed it but he would never push to play in there because we already had a keeper so Ray asked would we just take a chance because we were stuck anyway. Basically, we had no option so we put him in.”

Kelleher’s first competitive fixture in goal didn’t quite go according to plan. Despite a positive performance, he couldn’t prevent Ringmahon from falling to a narrow defeat against Springfield Ramblers.

“He won’t thank me for saying it but he got lobbed,” remembers Harrington. “He got caught for a cross and we lost 1-0. But he was outstanding that day and that was it he never looked back.

“He’s the type of fella he knows when he makes a mistake but nothing fazes him. That was early in the game and it was his first game in goal, most fellas would have crumbled but he was excellent for the rest of the game. That’s the kind of person he is, he won’t let mistakes get to him.

“It might have been more to do with the howling wind down in Ringmahon as well. It was just a cross, it could have happened to anyone. What we saw that day is he got over it fairly lively. We just left him in there after that and it was really lucky for everyone really.”

From that moment on Kelleher’s days playing as a number nine and scoring goals were over. Now his focus was on preventing them and using the experience he gained outfield to help up between the sticks.

“Once the goalkeeping thing started and that phone call came in his mind was completely gone. He didn’t want to play outfield anymore this was his love and there was no way was he coming back out after that,” insisted Harrington.

“He had no interest whatsoever playing outfield. He wanted to play in goal and his mind was made up; he was going to be a keeper.

“He started finding his voice then, telling defenders where to be and stuff. In public, he’s quiet but with the lads and his own friends he’s a bit of a messer. He’s a good joker too.

“We definitely starting improving once he went in goal and the lads outfield improved as well knowing that he was in there.

“He used to say it to us that he could read a striker going through because he was so good at scoring goals himself that he nearly knew where they were going to put it as such.

“His feet were excellent. Everyone knows now how good he is with his feet he can do what he wants the ball but going from outfield to in goal in such a short space of time was mad like.”

That transition was aided by fellow coaches Kevin O’Leary and Robbie O’Leary at local level while Stephen Bermingham, who was then in charge of the Cork Kennedy Cup team, also helped once finding out his striker was now a goalkeeper.

Kelleher starred in goal for Cork in that competition and as he continued to grow into his new position he began to attract interest from clubs in England. Trials at Blackburn and Aston Villa would follow over the years before he finally agreed to join Liverpool.

Kelleher was unable to make the move until after his 16th birthday and with that taking place in November, it was decided he wouldn’t depart for Merseyside until the summer at the end of the school year. It meant he would be able to see out the remainder of his final season with Ringmahon Rangers which would have a fitting finale.

“In his last game ever for the club he won his first trophy, it was a fairytale,” said Harrington. “He brought us to another level. We scored a goal in the last minute against Corinthians to get a draw and we won the U17 Premier league then.

“We got a corner in the last few seconds so we throw everyone up because we had to score a goal and he went up as well. He ran around the pitch mad celebrating. He would be a closed shop, he wouldn’t usually show that much emotion but everyone was so grateful to win a trophy because we were together for so long.

“It was a great way to finish his time at Ringmahon.”

In seven years Caoimhin Kelleher has progressed from getting lobbed in his first match in goal for Ringmahon Rangers to receiving call-ups to the Liverpool and the Republic of Ireland senior squads. But his progression from promising striker to elite level goalkeeper really began with his father’s phone call.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: December 2, 2020, 04:29:01 am »

It's pronounced  Kwee-veen I think
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Wengerpresser101

• 8 posts in, could be RAWK’s greatest ever contributor. 248 posts in, the jury's still out......It's a fax he's a dickhead. Still the Greatest Fan of L...sorry...AFC there's EVER been!
  • Kopite
« Reply #109 on: December 2, 2020, 04:30:32 am »
Well I was right. Mentioned a couple months ago that maybe we should try out Kelleher coz he might be better option than Adrian, and I was right in that he put in a good performance.
https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=343429.msg17395563#msg17395563

Offline Wengerpresser101

• 8 posts in, could be RAWK’s greatest ever contributor. 248 posts in, the jury's still out......It's a fax he's a dickhead. Still the Greatest Fan of L...sorry...AFC there's EVER been!
  • Kopite
« Reply #110 on: December 2, 2020, 04:38:50 am »
It's pronounced  Kwee-veen I think
Yeh that would make sense..I know an Irish lass called Caoibhe, and her name is pronounced Queever. So would make sense Caoimhin would be pronounced Queeveen. In reality tho, I just call her Kao-hee-bah, so would probably just call Caoimhin Kao-him-min..

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: December 2, 2020, 06:00:18 am »
I had said Kelleher is the better keeper a year ago, when there was Adrian hype. Nothing and no game ever since has changed my mind in regards to the fact that Kelleher should be number 2.
Remember being told that Klopp knows best, well he sure does.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: December 2, 2020, 06:14:09 am »
Good player; but very difficult name. I prefer aaaadrian. how do you actually pronounce that ?

he should marry siobhan
Cam Kelleher, according to Sami Hyypia who was on CMore studio  ;D
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: December 2, 2020, 06:18:52 am »
Well played son.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #114 on: December 2, 2020, 07:09:31 am »
Nick, did you have a major accident? That name change is worrisome...  ;D

I asked for something more family friendly. Not convinced this is. :D

Offline West Cork Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #115 on: December 2, 2020, 07:15:45 am »

Pronounced Quee veen, Its Irish for Kevin

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: December 2, 2020, 07:15:46 am »
Michael Owen spoke very highly of him after the game. I'm not sure if he has seen more of him that most, but he said he's been outstanding for the under 23's and is a big talent.
Time will tell but brilliant start. Clean sheet in a tough CL game, couple great saves. Seems a really nice fella. I was sure he played for Shamrock Rovers but must be thinking of someone else

Possibly thinking of Gavin Bazunu who played a couple of games for Shamrock Rovers before going to City aged 16.

Caoimhín was signed from Ringmahon Rangers who I guess are a junior club in Cork.

I had heard an Irish journalist say at the last international break that everyone in the senior was extremely impressed by how good he was.

Clearly talented and got his head well screwed on. Absolutely delighted for him.

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #117 on: December 2, 2020, 07:22:21 am »
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #118 on: December 2, 2020, 08:37:41 am »
Impressive thing is his development.

He looked a fish out of water against Arsenal and Villa in the League Cup last season, but he's used that experience well to develop.

As Klopp said he's a good shot stopper and with the ball at his feet. It bodes well as with quotas we really need a homegrown number 2 and 3 keeper and also someone we can rely on.

A performance like that will see a lot of interest in him from Championship clubs wanting him on loan.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #119 on: December 2, 2020, 08:49:52 am »
Only saw the highlights, but that was a great save at the end. My point is more of a general one concerning him and other youngsters coming in. Do you reckon it's an advantage playing behind closed doors at the moment?

Made up for him, and Klopps run and hug will mean something special to him!

« Last Edit: December 2, 2020, 08:51:39 am by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)