Author Topic: Diogo Jota (Diogo José Teixeira da Silva)  (Read 545417 times)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Welcome Diogo Jota
« Reply #3040 on: January 21, 2022, 11:48:36 am »
Who knew he would be this good when we signed him? I just love his snide.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3041 on: January 21, 2022, 11:58:08 am »
Salahs not a 9 and if you want to count him as one he's a better 9 than Mo
Prefer him to Benzema but its close, depends what attributes you prefer
(fwiw re my earlier post Benezma backs up the eye test on his numbers and does consistently over achieve his xg... although he's running unsustainably hot this season)

This is all based on this season by the way - which is actually half a season so he's got to keep this level over time

Salah is our primary goalscorer and has been for years, he should be considered a No. 9. A No. 9 is not just a target striker, even a mobile striker is a No. 9 if they are the primary goalscorer. I don't think he's better than Salah. Frankly, I think Benzema has always been good for many years, but he has had to play second fiddle to Ronaldo over the years. After Ronaldo left, Benzema was freed up to take the main striker role and has been coming into his own for a while now. If Benzema is running hot, so could be Jota.

As you say, he needs to keep this level over time, but yes, it's a good start for him.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3042 on: January 21, 2022, 12:11:48 pm »
Jota is not a better 9 than Benzema, and I would still prefer Firmino there in this Klopp team, there’s more to a 9 in our system than just scoring goals, the way Firmino holds up the ball, the way he can battle against opposing cbs, drop deep to help us gain numerical advantage in the midfield all of these help the overall team ten fold even if they don’t show up in the stats.

Jota is a world class player but still prefer him on the left and I think all round his two best performances of this season have come in that position.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3043 on: January 21, 2022, 12:13:50 pm »
Role wise, Firmino has always been a Deep Lying forward. Mane is an Inside Forward, or Support Striker if I may. Jota is akin to Salah, wherever he plays, he ends up being a striker.

Jota is scoring and assisting at a very good rate, and is working hard off the ball, the only thing I would say is inferior to Mane and Firmino is his linkup play/overall game if he's not scoring/assisting, but I think he will develop more of that, the more he plays with Salah, Mane and Firmino. Definitely think he's one of the jigsaw pieces in our succession planning, along with Konate and Jones. In the next two years, we should look to find players for the Bobby role and Mane role as well if we want to retain the current system, and rotate over them (in case we can also extend the contracts of the original front three) and then the attack succession plan will be complete.

Slightly off-topic, but it's hardest to find players for Bobby role. The only player whom I watched recently reminding me of Bobby was Dani Olmo when he played for Spain in the Euros and for Leipzig last season. But for some reason, he has had a stop start this season, not sure what happened, or whether the manager doesn't fancy him. Of course, there's Thomas Muller, who's off-limits and then there's Lautaro Martinez, who's more of a support striker, but can also play the Bobby role to an extent.

Joao Felix is one I feel, as is Amine Gouiri although I’ve barely watched the latter.

Offline Perkinsonian

• Kopite
« Reply #3044 on: January 21, 2022, 12:25:28 pm »
The only player whom I watched recently reminding me of Bobby was Dani Olmo when he played for Spain in the Euros and for Leipzig last season. But for some reason, he has had a stop start this season, not sure what happened.
He missed many games due to muscle injuries and covid.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3045 on: January 21, 2022, 12:27:55 pm »
Olmo isnt good enough for us. Cant get a player based of the Euro's

I think Jota will be our CF in the future.

We dont need to get in a player similar to Bobby.
A forward on the flanks with pace is needed more so. Since we have an aging forward line.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3046 on: January 21, 2022, 12:36:39 pm »

A forward on the flanks with pace is needed more so. Since we have an aging forward line.

never going to directly replace Firmino but Jota's weakness is passing at the moment, but maybe he'll improve. i'd rather Salah as the 9 right now - his playmaking abilities are the best they've been at the moment.
YNWA.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #3047 on: January 21, 2022, 12:42:33 pm »
Role wise, Firmino has always been a Deep Lying forward. Mane is an Inside Forward, or Support Striker if I may. Jota is akin to Salah, wherever he plays, he ends up being a striker.

Jota is scoring and assisting at a very good rate, and is working hard off the ball, the only thing I would say is inferior to Mane and Firmino is his linkup play/overall game if he's not scoring/assisting, but I think he will develop more of that, the more he plays with Salah, Mane and Firmino. Definitely think he's one of the jigsaw pieces in our succession planning, along with Konate and Jones. In the next two years, we should look to find players for the Bobby role and Mane role as well if we want to retain the current system, and rotate over them (in case we can also extend the contracts of the original front three) and then the attack succession plan will be complete.

Succession planning is the key point here.

For al the tubthumping catastrophising across the internet,  I think there's a plan in place to evolve the team beyond the 2019 to 2020 peak. That's not a matter of wholesale changes at any one point, it's a matter of drip-feeding the squad with new, bright players that can continue the excellence of their predecessors...while their predecessors are still at the club.

Jota, Elliott, Jones, Gordon, Konate, Morton are - to varying degrees - the constituent parts of Klopp's Liverpool 2.0.

Obviously more talent will arrive but the process is already under way...even if many folk pretend it isn't.

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3048 on: January 21, 2022, 12:43:44 pm »
love the song and Diogo wanting to hear more from the Redmen fans in full voice at Emirates

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #3049 on: January 21, 2022, 01:41:05 pm »
Salah, Lewandowski, Benzema and Haaland - but he could be in at 5th.
Another real positve is his age compared to some of the players he's being measured against.

Jota only turned 25 in December, whereas Salah is 30 in June, Lewandowski is 34 this year and Benzema wil be 35. When Jota's numbers are being measured against some of the best European strikers of the last 10 years, then it's clear we've found a real gem.

That £40m is turning into a bargain, and he also looks to be a fairly robust player which bodes well - someone to really build our attack around when Salah, Mane and Bobby get older.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #3050 on: January 21, 2022, 01:53:35 pm »
I don't think this will ever change - there's something in people's brains that won't accept that most chances aren't scored and over-weights chances that are missed. (despite the definition of 'chance' meaning obviously they're not all taken)
Its just very hard for people's thought processes to accept that the best strikers miss more chances than less good strikers ... even if they're slightly better finishers

As an aside last week I heard Neil Atkinson banging on about how Minamino was a 'good finisher' and how clinical he is in front of goal (based on about 5 goals obv) ... and it reinforced the idea that people will never ever accept the relative unimportance of finishing to a strikers production ..yes its a factor and its definitely a thing but most strikers converge around the average and its not what really separates average from great
If Neil whose one of the more intelligent pundits, whose been working closely with Statsbomb for 2 years hasn't got it then its just never going to be got
This is true, in the team i manage my best striker misses a lot of chances and there's been complaints about it from others in the team including players that vie for that position. Over the long haul though, we did a statistical analysis of our games - chance creation, chances, goals. Obviously it was an amateur job but it was clear that the things that stood out were with our possession varying between 60-70% per game and being consistently high up the pitch, we created more chances with him playing, double the number to when others played and he missed more chances but as an average he significantly converted more than his competitors. (looking at around 20 games with him available for 12) - of course though the he misses a lot of chances mood prevails though he's obviously a big reason for those chances being created.

Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #3051 on: January 21, 2022, 02:02:08 pm »
I had the same stream, sound was awful, they completely muted the Liverpool end. I suspect the Thatcher & Tory shouts are upsetting the BigWigs somewhere along the line.

It's the old Colin Pascoe tune.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FwbcYT-CJ_s&amp;ab_channel=NGapsi" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FwbcYT-CJ_s&amp;ab_channel=NGapsi</a>

Knew I recognised the tune from somewhere - was the Pascoe one about putting cones out for the team and his tiny shorts, that one? ;D
JFT97

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #3052 on: January 21, 2022, 02:08:48 pm »
Absolutly class - like they've taken bits from Fowler, Owen, Torres, Bellamy and Suarez and out came Diogo.

He properly loves being at the club as well, you can tell.
JFT97

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #3053 on: January 21, 2022, 02:13:56 pm »

Slightly off-topic, but it's hardest to find players for Bobby role. The only player whom I watched recently reminding me of Bobby was Dani Olmo when he played for Spain in the Euros and for Leipzig last season. But for some reason, he has had a stop start this season, not sure what happened, or whether the manager doesn't fancy him. Of course, there's Thomas Muller, who's off-limits and then there's Lautaro Martinez, who's more of a support striker, but can also play the Bobby role to an extent.
Yeah, I agree. Jota is amazing in the box, but Firmino plays the role like an attacking midfielder. With Jota, we're basically playing with one less midfielder, and that has given us problems in plenty of games. Either we adapt our midfield to playing with three strikers, or we find someone who can do a similar job as Bobby.

Olmo is a good shout. We could probably get him much cheaper than after the Euros. Bags of talent and great work rate, and maybe he needs a fresh start. I think he's exactly the kind of unpolished talent that Klopp could get to the next level.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3054 on: January 21, 2022, 02:48:59 pm »

'ave it

:lmao

Who wins a snide-off between Diogo and Robbo?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3055 on: January 21, 2022, 03:12:20 pm »
:lmao

Who wins a snide-off between Diogo and Robbo?
That was in front of the Liverpool fans wasn't it?
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3056 on: January 21, 2022, 03:20:40 pm »
That was in front of the Liverpool fans wasn't it?
Was it? If so it's my fault for misattributing it.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3057 on: January 21, 2022, 03:32:39 pm »
Was it? If so it's my fault for misattributing it.
The Liverpool fans were definitely that end;

(Rubbish picture but those are Liverpool flags and they're all celebrating) I'm assuming they had the whole end.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #3058 on: January 21, 2022, 03:35:02 pm »
Knew I recognised the tune from somewhere - was the Pascoe one about putting cones out for the team and his tiny shorts, that one? ;D

Yes ;D

Oh, his name is Colin Pascoe, He puts the cones out for the team, He wears shorts when it is fucking freezing, But we don't care cos his legs are a dream ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3059 on: January 21, 2022, 03:38:16 pm »

(Rubbish picture but those are Liverpool flags and they're all celebrating) I'm assuming they had the whole end.

Yes the LFC fans were that end, but I thought the pic was after the VAR check. I haven't watched it back but I thought he did another round of celebrating when the goal was finally given
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3060 on: January 21, 2022, 03:41:37 pm »

Not sure about that, he was really good for Leipzig last season and was known to be a talent since he was young.

Also, as someone said, this season he has been interrupted with injuries and COVID.

As for Jota, he looks better when coming in from the left than starting from the middle (even though he is decent to good there as well). But I think, he can be devastating from the left.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3061 on: January 21, 2022, 03:43:40 pm »
Another real positve is his age compared to some of the players he's being measured against.

Jota only turned 25 in December, whereas Salah is 30 in June, Lewandowski is 34 this year and Benzema wil be 35. When Jota's numbers are being measured against some of the best European strikers of the last 10 years, then it's clear we've found a real gem.

That £40m is turning into a bargain, and he also looks to be a fairly robust player which bodes well - someone to really build our attack around when Salah, Mane and Bobby get older.

Yeah, completely agree with this. He is clearly seen as someone part of our long term future, and he has shown that he is good enough for us to do that.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #3062 on: January 21, 2022, 03:53:32 pm »
Yes the LFC fans were that end, but I thought the pic was after the VAR check. I haven't watched it back but I thought he did another round of celebrating when the goal was finally given
He only did the hand to the ear celebration directly after the goal, the second round of celebrating was more of the team together and a few fist pumps from Jota towards the same set of fans.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3063 on: January 21, 2022, 04:03:42 pm »

As funky said, that was as soon as he scored. Immediately after he's wagging his finger at the offside being given. We had the whole of that end too and it is in front of our fans.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #3064 on: January 21, 2022, 04:27:18 pm »
As funky said, that was as soon as he scored. Immediately after he's wagging his finger at the offside being given.

Outraged Diogo is class... ;D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3065 on: January 21, 2022, 04:48:10 pm »
Absolutly class - like they've taken bits from Fowler, Owen, Torres, Bellamy and Suarez and out came Diogo.

I like that bit of a streetwise attitude he's got, cockiness or confidence call it what you will. He could have come from Kirkby!
 ;D
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #3066 on: January 21, 2022, 09:08:57 pm »
Yes ;D

Oh, his name is Colin Pascoe, He puts the cones out for the team, He wears shorts when it is fucking freezing, But we don't care cos his legs are a dream ;D

Thanks for that, I'd forgotten half of it  ;D

Strange that the Pascoe original, even though it was a piss-take, never had the chorus line like Diogo's version.

'Ohhhh, his name is Col Pascoe ...'  8)

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #3067 on: January 21, 2022, 09:37:32 pm »
When the chance is not too easy, he will score! Another great performance!
Yep. "Instinct".. like Mane.
When they have to think... that's when the chance comes and goes or they fluff it cause they're interfering with their natural skill, but it seems that when they just operate out of pure instinct, it ends up in the net.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3068 on: January 21, 2022, 09:59:06 pm »

The arsenal fans are just to the right of the picture behind the goal where Jota puts his hand to his ear. Saw a fan video from their view.

Offline Jordo

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and red Kop
« Reply #3069 on: January 21, 2022, 10:13:13 pm »
How about using copa cabana song for diogo...something like "his names Diogo, Diogo Jota, he's magic just like Harry potter...
Take this ground for the Spion Kop
Main Stand, Annie, Kemlyn Road
And Justice for the 96
Youll Never Walk Alone

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3070 on: January 21, 2022, 10:28:53 pm »
The arsenal fans are just to the right of the picture behind the goal where Jota puts his hand to his ear. Saw a fan video from their view.

That's all our fans
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline dutchkop

• has an issue with his phlemish phalange (bunch of jackals, leave him alone).
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3071 on: January 21, 2022, 11:48:32 pm »

Agreed - great that he has his own song!

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3072 on: January 22, 2022, 03:52:55 am »
That's an 'inside forward', not a 'lead the line striker' as in the post I responded to.

We don't really play with a traditional striker.
You can be the striker and not do it down the middle. Salah the Striker in the team role wise, Jota has done that when Salah no in the team.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3073 on: January 22, 2022, 09:02:40 am »
Who knew he would be this good when we signed him? I just love his snide.

he wasnt but think the scouts could see something that could be worked on

i remember reading one of the scouts report stating that his heading isn't one of his strengths. He has already improved in leaps in that area ;D

Most of our signings have developed rather nicely. See Robbo, Mane, salah and bobby are just a few examples. I would include gini in that list also. All developed and fit our style of play to a glove when given time to adapt.

Think for now his link up play could still do some work but no chance he will be another bobby. Bobby is just a generational banger of a player. Only will be missed when he is not playing.

The fact that we have 5 mobile and hardworking forwards that pulls defenders out of shape means anyone of them could capitalize on the situation when it arises.

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3074 on: January 22, 2022, 09:55:20 am »
The best part is that he is so effective even when someone like me can see clear areas of improvement in link up play and passing. Keep him in the oven for another couple of years and he is going to be scary good.
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline William Regal

• Kopite
« Reply #3075 on: January 23, 2022, 10:11:00 am »
Absolutely loved that passage of play in the 2nd half when he was running down the line with White glued to him and he stop started and left White for dead before setting up Gordon, he's got a real habit of finding himself running with the ball and coming out of tight situations you think he won't come out of the ball with, even when he took the first defender on for the 1st goal.

I remember that FA cup game against us a few years back and he was exactly the same in that game, I can remember being frustrated watching him come away with the ball in situations he had no right too, such a good signing, and playing under the perfect manager to take him to the next level.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #3076 on: January 23, 2022, 03:48:32 pm »
Our little magician again.

While we are at it. Can someone staple Carra's lips together?

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3077 on: January 23, 2022, 03:56:09 pm »
Surreal that that’s given and the Spurs one isnt
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #3078 on: January 23, 2022, 03:56:42 pm »
Surreal that that’s given and the Spurs one isnt

It's ridiculous. One was stonewall the other was fairly soft. If it's clear and obvious they shouldn't need to spent 5 minutes looking at it. That's the problem with VAR, we had so many like that against us last season.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #3079 on: January 23, 2022, 03:56:43 pm »
i mean its a blatant penalty, he would easily have got to it if the keeper hadn't taken him out, Carragher must think hes as slow as him
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England