Author Topic: It's a conspiraceh  (Read 45956 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: It's a conspiraceh
« Reply #120 on: September 4, 2020, 09:05:03 am »
I know that's not the video you're talking about, but it shows how easy it is to construct a CT. ;)
John Oliver explains how you get from Cadbury Creme Eggs to the Iluminati.

Found it:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0b_eHBZLM6U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0b_eHBZLM6U</a>

You're a star, Sir. :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: September 4, 2020, 01:49:12 pm »
Had a bizarre conversation with someone saying Coronavirus is a hoax because the government lied to us about Hillsborough. I had to put my iPhone away. What a horrible rat.
YNWA.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #122 on: September 4, 2020, 04:52:27 pm »
Had a bizarre conversation with someone saying Coronavirus is a hoax because the government lied to us about Hillsborough. I had to put my iPhone away. What a horrible rat.

Sadly that's a measure of how people distrust the Government, probably any Government, two plus two equals five etc.

Or it could be using a tragedy to justify their own selfish desire not to act responsibly?

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: September 4, 2020, 05:05:59 pm »
Sadly that's a measure of how people distrust the Government, probably any Government, two plus two equals five etc.

Or it could be using a tragedy to justify their own selfish desire not to act responsibly?

Definitely the latter. Some mental gymnastics to go from scientific advice to a football tragedy.
YNWA.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: September 5, 2020, 02:43:04 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-54018203

A scientist has been jailed for sending fake poison to Theresa May in a letter criticising her policy on Russia.

Christopher Doyle sent the white powder to the then prime minister in April 2018, a month after ex-Russian spy Sergei Skripal was poisoned.

It was addressed to Theresa May, c/o The Nazi Party and enclosed was a cartoon poster showing her decapitated.

The ex-Cambridge University research fellow was sentenced to two years and 10 months at Liverpool Crown Court.

The mail, which also included a picture of former spy Alexander Litvinenko, was examined at a Swiss Post screening facility which had to be evacuated, the court heard.

Doyle, from Cheshire, had denied sending the powder and told officers he believed it may have been planted by MI5 or MI6, but he was convicted following a trial.

The 54-year-old, who had a PhD in neuroscience and said he previously worked at government facility Porton Down, suffered from bipolar affective disorder, the court was told.

He told police he had also written a letter to Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson criticising his attitude to Russia and a letter to then Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn in which he praised him.

Mark Pritchard, defending, said Doyle had been living with agoraphobia since 2013 following the death of a friend.

"He has been in a bubble of pro-Russian Facebook groups to which he has been a member," he said.

Joseph Allman, prosecuting, said when police raided Doyle's home in Fir Street in Widnes they found more than 245,000 indecent images of children on a laptop.

Doyle pleaded guilty to making indecent photographs of children and was ordered to sign the sexual offenders' register and made the subject of a sexual harm prevention order.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #125 on: September 5, 2020, 02:49:25 pm »
You can dismiss it because there is no evidence that it's man made and plenty that it was a trans-species crossover like many before it. H1N1 flu virus was avian in origin. (H1N1)pdm09 appeared in 2009 and originated in pig herds. HIV probably crossed the species barrier from chimpanzees and so on.

Man-made viruses are fairly easy to spot as they have specific changes to a subset of genes to create a particular effect. The COVID19 virus has none of these indications and shares 96% of its genome with a bat virus.

You can't automatically dismiss it but once you do a bit of research the conspiracy theory is clearly baseless.

Cheers  :thumbup
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 5, 2020, 07:49:14 pm »
Cheers  :thumbup

The problem with conspiracy theorists is that they dismiss all evidence that is contrary to their view as altered or outright manufactured.

I think it's a better bet to to disprove their position rather than prove your own, but even that is fraught with difficulty.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: September 5, 2020, 08:03:33 pm »
The problem with conspiracy theorists is that they dismiss all evidence that is contrary to their view as altered or outright manufactured.

I think it's a better bet to to disprove their position rather than prove your own, but even that is fraught with difficulty.

Going back to my original convo with Alan, I wasnt aware that the bat theory had been proven.

Its more difficult to prove a negative.  The Wayfair shite, people point out that the matching names of missing children became solved cases ages ago. So the CTs just move the goal posts.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: September 5, 2020, 11:21:21 pm »
Going back to my original convo with Alan, I wasnt aware that the bat theory had been proven.

Its more difficult to prove a negative.  The Wayfair shite, people point out that the matching names of missing children became solved cases ages ago. So the CTs just move the goal posts.

I just had to get rid of a "Spiritual" FB page that claimed the virus escaped from a lab in Wuhan and that the Chinese were just too embarrassed to admit it. :butt

It's disturbing how so many people I know, who would describe themselves as spiritual, seem to be more anti-establishment, anti-government political activists who just don't want to be told what to do.  And they are far too confident in themselves (and I too ill-equipped) to be challenged on their views.

At the other end of the spectrum, you can bet any number of Trump supporters give him unconditional backing because they see him as throwing hand grenades into the midst of a system they learned to hate decades ago.  They know he is full of shit, and they just don't care.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 6, 2020, 11:30:57 am »
I'm surprised by the number of people I know who seem to believe all sorts of conspiracy theories surrounding COVID-19 (5G, masks, vaccine, etc.). I have one or two old friends who've occasionally posted chemtrail nonsense but generally friends and relatives seem to accept that vaccines are safe and don't cause autism, that climate change is happening and caused by human activities, etc. But for some reason there's huge distrust when it comes to this pandemic and I'm not quite sure why. I'm wondering if it's because it's a novel virus and advice changes as new information becomes available. No idea, but those who are spreading disinformation seem particularly successful right now.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: September 6, 2020, 12:26:52 pm »
I just had to get rid of a "Spiritual" FB page that claimed the virus escaped from a lab in Wuhan and that the Chinese were just too embarrassed to admit it. :butt

It's disturbing how so many people I know, who would describe themselves as spiritual, seem to be more anti-establishment, anti-government political activists who just don't want to be told what to do.  And they are far too confident in themselves (and I too ill-equipped) to be challenged on their views.

At the other end of the spectrum, you can bet any number of Trump supporters give him unconditional backing because they see him as throwing hand grenades into the midst of a system they learned to hate decades ago.  They know he is full of shit, and they just don't care.

Trump seems to have formed a cult where he can do now wrong with a large section of his fans
Id love to know stories of people who voted for him 4 years ago but wont in November

Im fascinated and appalled at the anti mask brigade. They seem to be predominantly right wing, often far right, yet have found a new found belief in freedom and liberty
People are free to abandon masks but this freedom wont extend to immigration or gay marriage.   Ive made the mistake of engaging in social media since lockdown, there are a lot of hypocritical ignorant c*nts in the UK and its depressing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 6, 2020, 02:13:07 pm »
Trump seems to have formed a cult where he can do now wrong with a large section of his fans
Id love to know stories of people who voted for him 4 years ago but wont in November

Im fascinated and appalled at the anti mask brigade. They seem to be predominantly right wing, often far right, yet have found a new found belief in freedom and liberty
People are free to abandon masks but this freedom wont extend to immigration or gay marriage.   Ive made the mistake of engaging in social media since lockdown, there are a lot of hypocritical ignorant c*nts in the UK and its depressing

I abhor social media (here is the only place I visit) and loathe the comment forums on newspapers and the like. I avoid them not only because I found a lot of the options awful but a number of the posters obviously have mental health problems and it seems like the modern equivalent of the Georgian day trip to Bedlam.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #132 on: September 6, 2020, 02:19:51 pm »
I love it. "Der Postillon" which is the German equivalent of the Onion has done a piece on one of those conspiracy nutters. The guy is a conspiracy nutter and of course he attended all those protests in Berlin. He is kind of famous for writing some vegan cookbooks and lately he has been very active in the "Corona is a scam"-scene online. Now "Der Postillon" did a "story" about him being paid by Merkel to peddle all those insane theories to make the actual conspiracy theorists look bad. They even did a bad forgery of what was supposed to be a bank statement or whatever that shows that the guy was getting paid 666K... ;D The funny thing is, that he had defend himself from his supporters who actually believed that the whole story about him being paid by Merkel was true... :lmao

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: September 6, 2020, 04:41:54 pm »
I abhor social media (here is the only place I visit) and loathe the comment forums on newspapers and the like. I avoid them not only because I found a lot of the options awful but a number of the posters obviously have mental health problems and it seems like the modern equivalent of the Georgian day trip to Bedlam.

A mate of mine has strongly advised I get off them as they are only serving to piss me off.  You should see the shit Lineker is getting for housing an asylum seeker.  Its awful

They moan about the cost then moan when someone offers them free accommodation.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: September 6, 2020, 05:31:08 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if there has a been a big rise in the number of people believing CTs in this country over the last few months, people who would normally be out at work or out enjoying the day have been cooped up at home with not much to do so they have spent some time on the web reading stuff they wouldn't have even bothered checking out a few months before, they probably had little experience of how these CT nutters operate, no idea they are CT nutters so they have no way of knowing these are cranks, ive had Bill Gates is screwing the world with this Covid to make a fortune, the virus came from a lab where some soldiers were spotted so it was a chemical weapon, stopped both arguments dead with I don't debate loony CTs, the experts have already told us this is a natural Corona Virus, they have identified the genetic code so anything you've read is CT bullshit, they never talk about it anymore so I assume they now know it's all bulls..
« Last Edit: September 6, 2020, 05:34:22 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: September 6, 2020, 05:45:14 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if there has a been a big rise in the number of people believing CTs in this country over the last few months, people who would normally be out at work or out enjoying the day have been cooped up at home with not much to do so they have spent some time on the web reading stuff they wouldn't have even bothered checking out a few months before, they probably had little experience of how these CT nutters operate, no idea they are CT nutters so they have no way of knowing these are cranks, ive had Bill Gates is screwing the world with this Covid to make a fortune, the virus came from a lab where some soldiers were spotted so it was a chemical weapon, stopped both arguments dead with I don't debate loony CTs, the experts have already told us this is a natural Corona Virus, they have identified the genetic code so anything you've read is CT bullshit, they never talk about it anymore so I assume they now know it's all bulls..

It's strange. For me it's a few friends in Switzerland where they lifted restrictions some time ago, though cases have been rising again there and they've only made masks compulsory in the past few days (in certain parts at least). They're objecting to masks, saying they won't get the vaccine, and I'm baffled. I'm going to see if I can find out why.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: September 6, 2020, 06:18:03 pm »
It's strange. For me it's a few friends in Switzerland where they lifted restrictions some time ago, though cases have been rising again there and they've only made masks compulsory in the past few days (in certain parts at least). They're objecting to masks, saying they won't get the vaccine, and I'm baffled. I'm going to see if I can find out why.
I think a poster on the covid topic made a good point, this is not a binary decision, the choice isn't a choice of total lock down or open everything up so we can get back to normal.
 So lets assume a safe reliable vaccine is years away, what difference does that make.
we stay in the same position we are in now, we take as many precautions as possible to keep ourselves and others safe, the alternative is a big rise in Covid cases. more lock downs, they may not accept this but all these anti face mask, lets get back to normal arguments are keeping Covid bubbling away under the surface waiting to explode again.
We all want this virus to go away, we all want to get back to normal, we can't until a vaccine is found but we can enjoy far more freedom if everyone took precautions wearing a mask etc in enclosed areas with people around. ive been to 2 restaurants the last 3 weeks and a Pizza Hut with g/kids after a day out on the beach which we know always has plenty of space. (I never believed that was possible for a long time when the lock down came in March) I never wore a mask as it's not feasible, we are only asking for a bit of common sense, so things are far better, nobody is saying we have to go through the hell of a total lock down again but local lock downs now seem more and more likely they way things are going. we can expect them to go on as long as people ignore Covid safety guidance.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: September 7, 2020, 10:22:38 am »
Been enjoying a few random episodes of the 'QAnon Anonymous' Podcast lately. It's generally a discussion / piss take over various conspiracies (many of which are 'Q' related). Some hilarious content in some of the live recordings of the 'Save Our Children' protests, including a Black man calling all the MAGA supporters pedophiles and causing a scene.

What I found pretty fascinating was how some of these conspiracies seem to be repeating themselves. They mentioned Jewish blood libel (which I wasn't aware of) and how that has basically been remixed by the new-age conspiracy to be adrenochrome and 'the elite' (but not Republicans). History really does repeat itself.
YNWA.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #138 on: September 7, 2020, 11:34:00 am »

It goes beyond dismissing evidence. Contrary evidence is proof of the conspiracy.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: September 7, 2020, 12:29:23 pm »
Been enjoying a few random episodes of the 'QAnon Anonymous' Podcast lately. It's generally a discussion / piss take over various conspiracies (many of which are 'Q' related). Some hilarious content in some of the live recordings of the 'Save Our Children' protests, including a Black man calling all the MAGA supporters pedophiles and causing a scene.

What I found pretty fascinating was how some of these conspiracies seem to be repeating themselves. They mentioned Jewish blood libel (which I wasn't aware of) and how that has basically been remixed by the new-age conspiracy to be adrenochrome and 'the elite' (but not Republicans). History really does repeat itself.

This always gets me about American CT freaks. There is always some 'others' who are plotting against them but not their true rulers.

Seems like there is still a tradition of forelock tugging in 'the land of the free' to the ruling class.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: September 7, 2020, 01:47:34 pm »
I think a poster on the covid topic made a good point, this is not a binary decision, the choice isn't a choice of total lock down or open everything up so we can get back to normal.
 So lets assume a safe reliable vaccine is years away, what difference does that make.
we stay in the same position we are in now, we take as many precautions as possible to keep ourselves and others safe, the alternative is a big rise in Covid cases. more lock downs, they may not accept this but all these anti face mask, lets get back to normal arguments are keeping Covid bubbling away under the surface waiting to explode again.
We all want this virus to go away, we all want to get back to normal, we can't until a vaccine is found but we can enjoy far more freedom if everyone took precautions wearing a mask etc in enclosed areas with people around. ive been to 2 restaurants the last 3 weeks and a Pizza Hut with g/kids after a day out on the beach which we know always has plenty of space. (I never believed that was possible for a long time when the lock down came in March) I never wore a mask as it's not feasible, we are only asking for a bit of common sense, so things are far better, nobody is saying we have to go through the hell of a total lock down again but local lock downs now seem more and more likely they way things are going. we can expect them to go on as long as people ignore Covid safety guidance.

The interesting thing for me was the reaction to an article a friend linked to. The article said that we shouldn't expect a vaccine before mid-2021 at the earliest, and many responded to it by saying they wouldn't get the vaccine. No one really said why but they were all pretty adamant that they wouldn't.

Someone told me it was idiotic to point out that failing to take measures now would probably lead to more stringent measures being taken at a later date because the outbreak would be out of control if we made no effort to contain it. Those who are now claiming that's it's "tyranny" to have to wear masks in enclosed public spaces really don't seem to understand the situation and that we can't just go back to normal. As you say, if we don't stick to guidance we kind of guarantee worse scenarios, if not a worse-case scenario.

I'm used to seeing conspiracy theories in relation to the climate crisis or vaccines but they tend to be restricted in impact. I suspect there are more efforts to discredit anything COVID-19 related because the economy has taken a considerable hit, which could explain why I'm seeing more denial/conspiracy theory from my friends. Just a thought really.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: September 7, 2020, 02:20:18 pm »
The interesting thing for me was the reaction to an article a friend linked to. The article said that we shouldn't expect a vaccine before mid-2021 at the earliest, and many responded to it by saying they wouldn't get the vaccine. No one really said why but they were all pretty adamant that they wouldn't.

Someone told me it was idiotic to point out that failing to take measures now would probably lead to more stringent measures being taken at a later date because the outbreak would be out of control if we made no effort to contain it. Those who are now claiming that's it's "tyranny" to have to wear masks in enclosed public spaces really don't seem to understand the situation and that we can't just go back to normal. As you say, if we don't stick to guidance we kind of guarantee worse scenarios, if not a worse-case scenario.

I'm used to seeing conspiracy theories in relation to the climate crisis or vaccines but they tend to be restricted in impact. I suspect there are more efforts to discredit anything COVID-19 related because the economy has taken a considerable hit, which could explain why I'm seeing more denial/conspiracy theory from my friends. Just a thought really.
Ive noticed a change in a few people, they were 100% behind the lockdowns and social distance rules but now think we just have to get on with life, they argue everyone has different opinion so I should respect theirs. I imagine they will feel differently when a Covid spike hits and lockdowns come back. I don't put any of it down to CT, just a different way of looking at it which as another poster pointed out is wrong, this is not a binary choice, total lockdown or everyone going back to normal.
We pay a big price for free speech, the gullible who fall for the CT are being influenced by others who may not even believe the rubbish they spout, I do wonder if it's time to change laws but recognise we are on dangerous ground here. people are earning a lot of money preaching CTs.  they argue the lot, can people who argue this rubbish believe Climate change is natural not man made. 5g, vaccines. Covid and how the government is using it to take away our rights etc, and am sure ive missed some out, I can understand people falling for 1 or 2 CTs but the people earning a living preaching CTs try to tell us they believe all the CT.
Maybe we should find a way to clamp down on these people as they are very dangerous.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2020, 02:59:28 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2020, 05:04:08 pm »
Recommend watching 'The Social Dilemma' on Netflix. Think the spreading of conspiratorial thinking will only rise if social media networks don't start taking action and responsibility for the way they manipulate users.
YNWA.

Offline FilthyBloke

• Main Stander
  • We all live. That’s enough for me.
« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2020, 05:16:21 pm »
There will always be people seeking the truth when they don’t accept what they have been told. There is nothing wrong with that as long as it’s not fuelled by anger and hatred.
And we all know that governments lie from time to time so to not believe them or to question their trust is normal.

Especially when the world leaders are utter morons atm.

My theory is that everything is questionable. I can accept Boris and his scientist as gospel. I could choose to believe putin and his advisors instead. I could even opt for trump. Perhaps the media is not biased as well. Who knows. But they have lied before. They have deceived before.

Each to their own.
Schadenfreude. Pretty much sums me up.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2020, 05:19:13 pm »
There will always be people seeking the truth when they don’t accept what they have been told. There is nothing wrong with that as long as it’s not fuelled by anger and hatred.
And we all know that governments lie from time to time so to not believe them or to question their trust is normal.

My theory is that everything is questionable. I can accept Boris and his scientist as gospel. I could choose to believe putin and his advisors instead. I could even opt for trump. Perhaps the media is not biased as well. Who knows. But they have lied before. They have deceived before.

Each to their own.

Questioning things is a rational thing to do, and is not in itself what makes a conspiracy.

A conspiracy for me is when that questioning goes in the face of actual evidence of the conspiracy you believe and that your opinion does not therefore change in light of that evidence.

Offline FilthyBloke

• Main Stander
« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2020, 05:23:20 pm »
Questioning things is a rational thing to do, and is not in itself what makes a conspiracy.

A conspiracy for me is when that questioning goes in the face of actual evidence of the conspiracy you believe and that your opinion does not therefore change in light of that evidence.

But if that evidence comes from Boris or trumps advisors and is quickly accepted by the media then you either accept it or risk being branded a tin foil hat fool.

Offline RainbowFlick

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2020, 09:39:11 pm »

Each to their own.

No doubt, I can totally understand why people read things into things or consider different views.

But a lot of these conspiracy people are looking for some Marvel superhero-type conspiracy and ignore actual real 'scandals' over these sexier conspiracies. There is literally plenty of well researched resources debunking many of the 'popular' conspiracies but people want to still believe them as they want to feel like they have some superior knowledge of some shadow-y conspiracy. It's really just people with egos. Basically AVON mums spending hours and hours on YouTube holes.

Also, I'd usually agree with 'each to their own' but these conspiracies are getting dangerous. Literally fuelling the fire for white supremacists, right-wing nutjobs and people with ulterior motives.

Also, the science is the science - you can literally read multiple papers and generally they all follow the thinking that we've had (i.e. lock down the country, wear masks, social distance). The only thing that changes is the political implementation, which has been mainly awful and lacking in clear guidance (by design, in my opinion to avoid any responsibility).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 09:43:35 pm by RainbowFlick »
YNWA.

Offline FilthyBloke

• Main Stander
« Reply #147 on: September 13, 2020, 12:08:49 am »
No doubt, I can totally understand why people read things into things or consider different views.

But a lot of these conspiracy people are looking for some Marvel superhero-type conspiracy and ignore actual real 'scandals' over these sexier conspiracies. There is literally plenty of well researched resources debunking many of the 'popular' conspiracies but people want to still believe them as they want to feel like they have some superior knowledge of some shadow-y conspiracy. It's really just people with egos. Basically AVON mums spending hours and hours on YouTube holes.

Also, I'd usually agree with 'each to their own' but these conspiracies are getting dangerous. Literally fuelling the fire for white supremacists, right-wing nutjobs and people with ulterior motives.

Also, the science is the science - you can literally read multiple papers and generally they all follow the thinking that we've had (i.e. lock down the country, wear masks, social distance). The only thing that changes is the political implementation, which has been mainly awful and lacking in clear guidance (by design, in my opinion to avoid any responsibility).

The problem is that 99.9% of people ae not experts in the science of the conspiracy in question. Could plans bring down the twin towers and building 7? What about the bullet that killed JFK? What about 5g? Climate change a hoax?
I’m an expert in none of the above. All I can do is read as much as I can (if I’m interested) and see if I can make sense of it. There are some scientists who question climate change. They are more qualified than me so who am I to totally dismiss them?
I’m not saying I particularly have an opinion (before the insults start) but when Im left with the official story coming from the mouths of known liars and people that genuinely don’t give a shit, then I think it’s natural to question things.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2020, 09:14:04 pm »

but when Im left with the official story coming from the mouths of known liars and people that genuinely don’t give a shit, then I think it’s natural to question things.

Is right mate.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline FilthyBloke

• Main Stander
« Reply #149 on: September 13, 2020, 09:22:49 pm »
Is right mate.

Does anyone really believe that our government has never been involved in a cover up or has lied/misled to the public? That they don’t have top secret information that they don’t want to reveal?
If anyone believes that then hey ho.

But if you think they have, then questioning their intentions is only natural.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #150 on: September 13, 2020, 09:25:15 pm »
Does anyone really believe that our government has never been involved in a cover up or has lied/misled to the public? That they don’t have top secret information that they don’t want to reveal?
If anyone believes that then hey ho.

But if you think they have, then questioning their intentions is only natural.

I don’t think anyone thinks questioning their intentions is a conspiracy. It’s continuing to do so in light of (often independent) evidence, or despite evidence to fully back up such a strong position which often goes beyond questioning and full on believing that stance.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2020, 09:29:42 pm »
The problem is that 99.9% of people ae not experts in the science of the conspiracy in question. Could plans bring down the twin towers and building 7? What about the bullet that killed JFK? What about 5g? Climate change a hoax?
I’m an expert in none of the above. All I can do is read as much as I can (if I’m interested) and see if I can make sense of it. There are some scientists who question climate change. They are more qualified than me so who am I to totally dismiss them?
I’m not saying I particularly have an opinion (before the insults start) but when Im left with the official story coming from the mouths of known liars and people that genuinely don’t give a shit, then I think it’s natural to question things.
I see many people dismissing it. But also many people claiming that planes couldn't possibly do it and it was an inside job. Not well versed on how building construction works. So, I begin to question things too, but then I usually end up confused and do not believe anything.

So... could they?
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline FilthyBloke

• Main Stander
« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2020, 09:35:21 pm »
I don’t think anyone thinks questioning their intentions is a conspiracy. It’s continuing to do so in light of (often independent) evidence, or despite evidence to fully back up such a strong position which often goes beyond questioning and full on believing that stance.

Evidence doesn’t always prove anything. It’s just a theory that’s accepted until another piece of the jigsaw comes along. That’s why science evolves. It’s not set in stone. Ideas change.

9/11 has lots of experts views which contradict somebody else’s.

This covid conspiracy about 5g is something I’m not an expert in, but I find it odd that people who question the official covid stance (eamon Holmes I think was one) have to quickly apologise and some folk have even been sacked.
Prince Charles used to doubt climate change but freedom of speech seems to have clamped down on covid and I find that the most alarming thing. Maybe it is 5g related. Maybe it came from bats. Maybe it came from a lab in China. But to be told we can’t have an opinion is dangerous ground. Centuries ago people would be persecuted  for suggesting god wasn’t real. We moved on from those day. At least on some subjects.

Offline FilthyBloke

• Main Stander
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2020, 09:42:04 pm »
I see many people dismissing it. But also many people claiming that planes couldn't possibly do it and it was an inside job. Not well versed on how building construction works. So, I begin to question things too, but then I usually end up confused and do not believe anything.

So... could they?

Maybe they could?
I don’t know. All I know is that the official story from the honest and trustworthy US government gave us a theory. And there’s a theory from tin foil hat folk. And another from guys who believe reptilians run the world.

Take your pick.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2020, 09:45:08 pm »
But if that evidence comes from Boris or trumps advisors and is quickly accepted by the media then you either accept it or risk being branded a tin foil hat fool.

Exactly.

Not all conspiracy theories are just theories.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2020, 10:35:22 pm »
Check your sources. don't give equal weight to all the opinions you read.
so a few people believe planes couldn't bring down the towers, who do you believe a few people with no expertise on the subject or the experts, there's also more powerful proof to say this is just CT rubbish. they are making absurd accusations, the USA government all got together to allow this attack to happen, I assume they think the planted explosives or whatever to bring down the towers, they believe all that instead of the experts simple explanation of yes a plane could bring down these particular structures.
5G you can dismiss in seconds, the whole accusation on 5G affecting your health has been laughed at by science, the other 5G CT is over Wuhan, as if 5G caused covid, 5G was rolled out all over China at the time on none of these regions had Covid. so whose opinion do you believe, reputable scientists or someone who you will most likely find is considered a crank most of the time.

Only took a few seconds to form a opinion on those 500 so called scientists who wrote a letter  protesting Climate change, first search was do the majority of scientists believe in Climate change, the answer was yes 97% do.
Nearly all actively publishing climate scientists (97–98%[1]) support the consensus on anthropogenic climate change,[2][3] and the remaining 2% of contrarian studies either cannot be replicated or contain errors.[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_consensus_on_climate_change
 That would be enough for me as 97% can't be cranks but looked for the scientists who don't believe in climate change. some may well be scientists but they are not scientists who have studied Climate change, it's not their field.

The Climate Denialist Distraction Brought Upon Us: “500 Scientists” Petitioning the UN
https://medium.com/wedonthavetime/the-climate-denialist-distraction-brought-upon-us-500-scientists-petitioning-the-un-bec387e679c4

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 10:36:56 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2020, 10:39:35 pm »
Maybe they could?
I don’t know. All I know is that the official story from the honest and trustworthy US government gave us a theory. And there’s a theory from tin foil hat folk. And another from guys who believe reptilians run the world.

Take your pick.
I can't. I am confused again.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2020, 11:09:57 pm »
Here's one for you all then .

Why do we all ' think ' that we are all divided ?

Pick the lentils out of that one.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2020, 11:25:02 pm »
Here's one for you all then .

Why do we all ' think ' that we are all divided ?

Pick the lentils out of that one.

In that you think it's a grand conspiracy to divide people?

Well propoganda by governments certainly exists and individuals that incite division exist - so the concept is real. There are also people out there that believe any old shite - so can be swayed by said propoganda and incitement. There are also groups of people that are tribal in nature - whether by location, sports team or political views. On top of that you have all manner of political, religious, gender and worldview beliefs and ideas.

There are also a load of gobshites running the world, but I'm not convinced that there is some global grand design to seperate us and keep us apart.

I think divisions have always existed and yeah, some people are taking advantage of that. But overall, I'd say the human race is more together today than it ever has been. There is an awful lot still wrong, but go back 60, 100, 200, 500, 1000 years and you'd have to say things were much, much worse then.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2020, 11:59:44 pm »
In that you think it's a grand conspiracy to divide people?

Yes.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi