Author Topic: The England Cricket Thread - 2024  (Read 639176 times)

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
I don't like this being characterised as an England collapse, I don't think it recognises just how good the WI's have been bowling.

Aye, certainly doesn't look like a 400 run pitch at the moment.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Stat on TMS earlier that Burns is the first England opener to get 1000 runs in tests since Cook did it, which is probably 12/13 years ago now.

That's astonishingly bad and hints at bad coaching.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Holder is brilliant. Good skipper, excellent bowler and good reviewer.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
Good to see the Windies on the up. World cricket needs a strong W.I test team.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Posted at 15:2015:20
How's stat?!

Andy Zaltzman

Test Match Special statistician on Test Match Special

Holder averages 11.80 in his last 10 Tests. No bowler has averaged less than 13 over a 10-Test period since Tony Lock in the 1950s. Other than him the only other bowler since the First World War to have done it is Jim Laker.

The guys on fire. Cutting through the English batters.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
Yes great to see the West Indies like this, fast bowlers steaming in

Hit out or get out England, use some of these conditions today, weather starts to turn tomorrow, batting much easier
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
Quite like Joseph’s action too. Very athletic looking fast bowler, maybe needs a pound or 2 more muscle but he generates very easy pace. Should keep him going for a long while.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Would be good to see the Windies batsman put up a good score to make a real test match, don’t want to see one sided drubbings, so far the bowlers have done a great job, hopefully the batsmen follow suit.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
So do you reckon Anderson, Wood and Archer will have just as much fun this evening, or will they bowl too short and disappear to all corners?

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
Beautifully timed but straight to the sweeper
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

:lmao

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan

What a way to spend a few weeks that was ;D

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
So do you reckon Anderson, Wood and Archer will have just as much fun this evening, or will they bowl too short and disappear to all corners?

Test cricket IS BACK!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Good work from Bess in particular and Jimmy here. Something to bowl at at least. Windies stronger suit is clearly their bowling so this may yet be a half decent score.

Feels like Holder is only good against us but seeing that stat above he’s obviously done well against others recently too. Fair play.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
Umpires aren't covering themselves in glory. 3 bad uns and they've all been against the West Indies. Good reviewers at least.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Umpires aren't covering themselves in glory. 3 bad uns and they've all been against the West Indies. Good reviewers at least.

They’re English umpires as well, so they’re (not intentionally, I’m sure) maintaining the case for neutral umpires.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Chris Read looks like Fenella the Witch from Chorlton and The Wheelies.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
Chris Read looks like Fenella the Witch from Chorlton and The Wheelies.

For a moment I thought you were saying that Read is one of the umpires. Who is the most recently playing Test cricketer to be a Test umpire?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
For a moment I thought you were saying that Read is one of the umpires. Who is the most recently playing Test cricketer to be a Test umpire?

Has Paul Rieffel umpired a test match? If so I’d say him.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Has Paul Rieffel umpired a test match? If so I’d say him.

I think Dharmasena might be more recent.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
Another shocker. The fuck are they playing at here? They're not even close to umpire call. They're either crashing into the stumps, pitching outside leg or missing by an inch.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Wow. Seems like we've been lucky not having English umpires...

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
What's that saying? Fifth time lucky I think. A poor review in hindsight but when they've been that bad how can you have confidence in their decisions?

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
weather looks sunny today so expect them to bat all day and build up a massive lead.

to be fair they've helped out a lot by agreeing to even fulfil this tour so letting them win is very hospitable.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
100-1. Trail by 104.

West Indies looking by far the better in every department so far.

England are seemingly slow starters in every series these days.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 12:01:51 pm by Kekule »

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
...and a wicket off a no-ball.

All the greatest hits are coming out.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
100-1. Trail by 104.

West Indies looking by far the better in every department so far.

England are seemingly slow starters in every series these days.

I can understand the batsmen being rusty having had no time in the middle at all. Less excuses for the bowlers though I’d say.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Liquorice all sorts being bowled.  Like they just want to have a try of everything after the lay off instead of trying to do one or two things well.

Offline RobinHood

• Kopite
I’ve been a bit disappointed with the umpiring, whenever I watch other teams and the coverage normally says that our umpires are the best of the elite panel, unfortunately they haven’t shown it so far.

There hasn’t been any real Joel Wilson style shockers but they’ve been overturned in the Windies favour a lot.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
Decent economy from Archer but still no wicket. Anderson as ever has just been class.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I’ve been a bit disappointed with the umpiring, whenever I watch other teams and the coverage normally says that our umpires are the best of the elite panel, unfortunately they haven’t shown it so far.

There hasn’t been any real Joel Wilson style shockers but they’ve been overturned in the Windies favour a lot.

To be fair to them they’ve not been out in the middle for several months either.  Perhaps there might be a case that they need to get their eyes back in too?

I dunno, I’m not an umpire.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Decent economy from Archer but still no wicket. Anderson as ever has just been class.

Decent economy is the only thing you can say has been good about Archer's bowling, he's even down in the mid 80s for the vast majority of his balls as well which is not what I'd be wanting from him. Wood has been just as disappointing too but quicker. England doing what the West Indies didn't and bowling back of a length and not letting the ball talk.

Bess has bowled well too I feel.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
Archer and Wood aren't the right bowlers in England. Out and out pace is really not a necessity in these kind of conditions, they're better just wheeled out in Australia and maybe New Zealand. Wood in particular is just bowling nonsense, straight up and down slightly short of a length. What's the point bowling 90 odd miles an hour if they're always on the back foot and not worried about you swinging it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 03:49:12 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Hindsight is a wonderful thing but one of Woakes or Broad would have been much more suited to this wicket than Archer/Wood.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Another bad one from the umpire. Looked stone dead to me, given not out, review shows it was indeed plumb.

Windies 6 down, lead by 60.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
Broad should have played its that simple been our best bowler last 18 months.

It seems like the decision to bat was a computer one what the computer csnt tell you is conditions or overheads.

Smith might have had a say as well with the Ashes being 18 months away hence 2 quicks playing i've watched Wood quite abit and im not convinced he is our Cummins.

In saying all the above our batting is simply not good enough lots of 20-30's but that not win you many matches.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
If we picked Archer for his pace then it was misplaced. Broad would be bowling quicker than him right now. If looks like his effort balls are reaching 85mph with the majority at 83.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Broad should have played its that simple been our best bowler last 18 months.

It seems like the decision to bat was a computer one what the computer csnt tell you is conditions or overheads.

Smith might have had a say as well with the Ashes being 18 months away hence 2 quicks playing i've watched Wood quite abit and im not convinced he is our Cummins.

In saying all the above our batting is simply not good enough lots of 20-30's but that not win you many matches.

Yeah, in what was likely to be a low scoring game and in seam friendly conditions I think you have to pick Broad (and possibly Woakes) in your attack, although I can see why they want to look at Archer and Wood together at some point.

As for the batting, how many established Test class players do we have? Only really Root and Stokes and obviously Stokes and Root isn’t around.

On a separate note I wish we could ‘sign’ Keane Roach to play for England. Imagine a team with Stokes, Foakes, Woakes and Roach.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Quite a big lead for WI.

Play can go through to about 7.15 I believe so this hour will shape the result of the game completely. Imperative we get through it unscathed.