Author Topic: Gomorrah - TV Series [No Spoilers]  (Read 99015 times)

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
Gomorrah - TV Series [No Spoilers]
« on: August 13, 2014, 04:59:16 pm »
Following on from the incredible Italian movie of the same name about the Comorra in Naples, this series is fantastic as well.

To put it simply Gomorrah makes the Sopranos look like the Waltons. The series centres around the Savastano crime family under the backdrop of Napoli's very dodgy Scampia district, known for being possibly Europe's worst crime ridden hell hole. Look it up. 

I'm only a few episodes in and fully engrossed. If you like your mobsters, this series is for you. Sky are showing it on Monday nights or alternatively check it out from the usual other sources, I think it's on Netflix.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:24:04 pm by KerryKop »

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
Re: Gomorrah - TV Series
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 05:41:07 pm »
Kerry, I asked this in the other thread and was wondering: should I watch the movie first or are the two (film and series) more or less independent of each other?
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 05:42:28 pm »
Ahhhhh. At last somebody has started a thread on this amazing series!! And its KK too...Back of the Net!! and Cashback!!  ( i was too scared of being ignored to start a thread :))

I've been chirping on about this show in other threads for a few days now. Its an incredible program.  Two episodes in and from a TV perspective, I'm counting the hours until next Monday night for episode 3.

Nicking this user preview from IMDB as it is very true

This series developed from the masterfully gloomy movie of the same title puts Italian production up close and center. This is very well crafted, with a impressive camera precision even though it's within the Gritty-style of modern cinema. Here and there you'll see some very inventive camera directing (a motorcycle-crash comes close to the best vehicle-scene I have seen since the first "Mad Max"). It is a rough and gray view of mob-crime in a dystopia Italy, but even though the setting is the same ghetto as the movie "Gomorra" the social-realism of the movie is toned down by the producers, in order for a more character-driven narrative to emerge - that is good. This is a brilliant authentic-Italian and promising series, that recalls Sergio Leones "Once upon a time in America" just without wide angel and widescreen. And again it contains some of the technically best non-computer generated action-sequences I have seen since Michael Mann. BRAVO! Forza Italia!

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 05:42:58 pm »
Is this in Italian?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 05:44:36 pm »
Is this in Italian?

Yeah but subtitled....obviously or i would be fucked :)

KK - Stick a 'No Spoilers' in the thread title please mate. There will be some fucker who downloads the whole series and watches the lot tonight. Then comes on here and tells us what happens at the end!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:46:25 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 05:49:00 pm »

KK - Stick a 'No Spoilers' in the thread title please mate. There will be some fucker who downloads the whole series and watches the lot tonight. Then comes on here and tells us what happens at the end!

Damn, will give it a go but I am awful with subtitles as I can switch off a lot when watching TV shows :P
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 05:53:30 pm »

I watched it a few weeks ago.....wanna know what happens.. :P  ;)
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 06:09:17 pm »
I watched it a few weeks ago.....wanna know what happens.. :P  ;)

Ive got a box of tacks here Dave and I know your cycling routes :)

Seriously though, Is the rest of the series as good as the first 2 episodes?

Don Pietro is one mean motherfucker!!!

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 07:08:49 pm »
Thanks for the tip.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 07:09:35 pm »
Got this on the planner

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 07:56:46 pm »
Ive got a box of tacks here Dave and I know your cycling routes :)

Seriously though, Is the rest of the series as good as the first 2 episodes?

Don Pietro is one mean motherfucker!!!
;D Fuck off,Pete..that's mean. ;D

Get's better...brilliant series...Ciro's the man.

I meant to post about the series but I'm stoopid and forgot..if anyone want's the series it's on KA and the subs for the dl are on podnapisi.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 08:05:23 pm »
Ciro 'The Immortal'. :)

Cheers Dave.  I'm not against downloading stuff or anything like that but when it comes to drama's I like to watch just the scheduled 1 episode a week.

I love the wait between episodes and the anticipation.

Did it with Dexter, The Wire, Utopia to name a few.  If I miss one I'll download it though yeah :)

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 08:23:28 pm »
The end is really disappointing...

spoiler
ok I'll give it a watch then.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 09:16:20 pm »
Kerry, I asked this in the other thread and was wondering: should I watch the movie first or are the two (film and series) more or less independent of each other?
Yeah, they're independent from each other.
even though the setting is the same ghetto as the movie "Gomorra" the social-realism of the movie is toned down by the producers, in order for a more character-driven narrative to emerge - that is good. 
This is the main deference between the two, you would be forgiven for looking at the movie and thinking it's a documentary. So realistic in fact that many scenes contain actual gangster and drug addicts from Scampia. 
Ahhhhh. At last somebody has started a thread on this amazing series!! And its KK too...Back of the Net!! and Cashback!!  ( i was too scared of being ignored to start a thread :))
"Come back on ELO and play another song"

I know that makes no sense, but it's the first one that came into my head.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 09:18:17 pm »
McrRed, I think you're spoiler didnt work, I'm not sure because I was too afraid to look twice.

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Gomorrah - TV Series [No Spoilers]
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 10:30:08 pm »
I remember watching this film it must be nearly two years ago. And at the time I thought it was a gem of a find.

Only heard about the series the day it was being aired. Watch the first two and will be watching from here on on.

Some of the scenes were actually shot in the same places as the film which were shot actually in the slums of Napoli. Gives it an authentic feel and the action scenes are right up there too. Bit early to tell just after just two series but looking good so far.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 11:43:59 pm »
The locations are grim but great, if that makes sense.

The characters are fantastic though.

Major Episode 1 and 2 spoiler below!!

Spoiler
Don Pietro single handedly beating Bookie to death because he (wrongly) thought he was the rat was fucking brutal. And the scene with Ciro and the piss in the champagne glass further hammered home what type of man Don Pietro is.  Then there are the times Don Pietro is with his wife or son alone and he shows his vulnerabilities.

One thing I missed though or it may not have been shown - Ciro had a number on a piece of paper which I assume was the Police but we didn't actually see him get the number from anyone. Just to clarify, am i right in saying that Ciro is the rat and stitching up the reckless Don Pietro for the good of the family and to avenge his best friends death?
[close]

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 11:48:13 pm »
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 02:24:42 am »
This is based on the book right? Never heard of this, will give it a go if it's on Netflix.
We are Liverpool!

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 03:52:53 am »
Is it in English or subtitled
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 09:31:00 am »
This is based on the book right? Never heard of this, will give it a go if it's on Netflix.
It is.

The locations are grim but great, if that makes sense.

The characters are fantastic though.

Major Episode 1 and 2 spoiler below!!

Spoiler
Don Pietro single handedly beating Bookie to death because he (wrongly) thought he was the rat was fucking brutal. And the scene with Ciro and the piss in the champagne glass further hammered home what type of man Don Pietro is.  Then there are the times Don Pietro is with his wife or son alone and he shows his vulnerabilities.

One thing I missed though or it may not have been shown - Ciro had a number on a piece of paper which I assume was the Police but we didn't actually see him get the number from anyone. Just to clarify, am i right in saying that Ciro is the rat and stitching up the reckless Don Pietro for the good of the family and to avenge his best friends death?
[close]

Spoiler
That's quite perceptive of you, I don't know what's going on with the number either put was just thinking we'd find out later on, but you could be right there.

Don Pietro getting Ciro to drink piss... Probably the standout scene so far, the guy who plays him does a good job at looking like a proper lunatic psychopath, the glasses make it. The fact that Genny could make his father proud by killing an innocent victim says it all really.

[close]

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 01:55:21 am »
Spoiler
i presumed he was the rat and the paper was the number be called but he's burnt it cos with don pietro arrested and his son in hospital, he could be line to take over or gain higher power. So there's no need to ring anyone anymore
[close]

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 07:41:47 am »
Spoiler
i presumed he was the rat and the paper was the number be called but he's burnt it cos with don pietro arrested and his son in hospital, he could be line to take over or gain higher power. So there's no need to ring anyone anymore
[close]

Yeah that's the way i read it.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 10:07:36 am »
Bump...Episode 3 tonight folks.

Judging by the preview it looks like a cracker!!!

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 12:29:12 am »
Spoiler
Pretty quiet episode I thought with not much happening apart from the suicide at the end. Looked like it was setting the scene for later episodes with the difficulties in prison with the guy in charge plus struggling to make a deal outside. Looks like next week will be a bit more explosive.
[close]

Offline timmyonions

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
    • timmyonions@gmail.com
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 12:34:27 am »
Really enjoying this.
That right peg hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes al gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a 20yr old StevenGerrard and your young self cheering him on through the prism. His big smile fades in an the net is shivering and J.Hart's trying not to look grateful for the privilege of being that close to greatness

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 08:22:19 am »
Spoiler
Pretty quiet episode I thought with not much happening apart from the suicide at the end. Looked like it was setting the scene for later episodes with the difficulties in prison with the guy in charge plus struggling to make a deal outside. Looks like next week will be a bit more explosive.
[close]

Spoiler
Agreed, the story really didn't move on any last night.  I suppose it further expanded on Don Pietros character, showing his humane side looking after the young lad in prison and also his disregard for authority. The episode also shows us that Genny now thinks he's something he is clearly not. He's just a big soft rich kid and mummy's boy living off his fathers reputation.

The lawyer is a shifty bastard who will feature more in later episodes I think.
[close]

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 01:04:39 pm »
Anywhere I can find this with hardcored subs?
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 04:25:45 pm »
No.

There's a lad I know upps all the foreign language series onto PB but he only does so after they've been shown in the U.K.

He's yet to start doing this series though..as soon as he starts I let you know.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 04:28:33 pm »
Still all enjoying this then? Gets much better from here on.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 04:31:11 pm »
Here.Episode 1.

Shoulda searched Snowys ups before I posted. :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:32:42 pm by dave 5516 »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 05:57:50 pm »
Still all enjoying this then? Gets much better from here on.

Yeah loving it Dave.

Can you answer this though without spoiling if poss.

Spoiler
Last nights episode with a certain someone incarcerated seemed to not have too much bearing on the story.  Does his time "away" play a major part in the story development.
[close]

Offline timmyonions

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
    • timmyonions@gmail.com
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 06:35:36 pm »
Yeah loving it Dave.

Spoiler
Last nights episode with a certain someone incarcerated seemed to not have too much bearing on the story.  Does his time "away" play a major part in the story development.
[close]

Spoiler
I think he will be out by the end of episode four.These Don's always seem to have someone of authority in their pocket.I think episode three shows us the high esteem Pietro is regarded amongst the gang fraternity in Naples.Not sure they could run the locked up story much longer unless he has the warden whacked or whatever.Genny,it is clear he's a wuss and eventually Pietro will have to come to terms with this and how he deals with it should be interesting.He seems the kind of Don who will stop at nothing to stay on top.Will he sacrifice his son who's fast becoming a liability?As for the lawyer he does seem to be a creep and I can see him attempting to screw Pietro of money when the opportunity arises.This is gripping stuff!!
[close]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:37:14 pm by timmyonions »
That right peg hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes al gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a 20yr old StevenGerrard and your young self cheering him on through the prism. His big smile fades in an the net is shivering and J.Hart's trying not to look grateful for the privilege of being that close to greatness

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 06:39:15 pm »
Yeah loving it Dave.

Spoiler
[close]
Yeah.

Spoiler free enough?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2014, 08:15:33 pm »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2014, 10:50:29 pm »
Yeah.

Spoiler free enough?

Yeah thats great Dave cheers.

I can read your posts all day long man. :)

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 12:19:03 pm »
Cheers boys! Don't want to be a pain, but does anyone know where I can find the movie with hard coreds subs too?
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2014, 02:39:40 pm »
Yeah thats great Dave cheers.

I can read your posts all day long man. :)
I could expand on it if you'd like. :)

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2014, 02:52:16 pm »
Cheers boys! Don't want to be a pain, but does anyone know where I can find the movie with hard coreds subs too?
No idea..try PB.

Here's episode 3 though.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2014, 06:20:36 pm »

Seems like PB has the movie and first few episodes of the series. I loved the movie, the acting by the kids is superb.