Author Topic: R.I.P Bobby Wilcox and Lenny Woods  (Read 95735 times)

Offline 5Goldstars

• Main Stander
  • ........Make that 6 Gold Stars
Re: R.I.P Bobby Wilcox
« Reply #200 on: March 2, 2014, 11:39:06 pm »
I remember bobby allways used to see him at the aways with his gang lenny assy i remember him from about 1976 i knew his sons as well he knows me as Marsy.Great guy cant beleive its over 3 years since. RIP
Alright marsy it's Ian from Barrow remember you telling us to watch ourselves at coventry away
we came back and got legged must of been about 1990....remember too coming back from norwich away once and getting back home about 4.30 on the sunday morning because a train in front had broke down

« Last Edit: March 3, 2014, 10:27:31 am by 5Goldstars »
Liverpool fc, bastion of invincibility

Offline Lancaster Bomber

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: March 7, 2014, 01:34:17 pm »
Alright marsy it's Ian from Barrow remember you telling us to watch ourselves at coventry away
we came back and got legged must of been about 1990....remember too coming back from norwich away once and getting back home about 4.30 on the sunday morning because a train in front had broke down

PMd
Still got the scar on the back off my head from Blackbeards truncheon all the Liverpool lads used 2 call me the Lancaster Bomber, some of the lads know me as Marsy as my full name is Graham Marsden no relation to Gerry Im 54.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #202 on: March 10, 2014, 04:10:08 pm »
 Rest In Peace. YNWA.
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #203 on: September 27, 2020, 08:54:43 pm »
A friend just said Lenny Woods has died. Couldn't find a thread on it but sure a lot of people will remember him. Very sad. Go and find Bobby for a song Lenny. RIP
We are a team of one half.

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: September 28, 2020, 08:18:05 am »
A friend just said Lenny Woods has died. Couldn't find a thread on it but sure a lot of people will remember him. Very sad. Go and find Bobby for a song Lenny. RIP

Heard that sad news last night , always remember Bobby and Lenny holding court on the coach back to some small airport after losing to PSG in the cup winners cup semi final in 97 ( I think ) , gets to the airport and buses straight to the plane no passport checks , gets on the plane which is about 30 too many for the seats so the stewardess tells everyone without a seat to sit in the aisles for take off .

The one stewardess locks herself in the cabin with the pilots for take off and duration while bobby continues the singing on the sound system of the plane once we’ve taken off . Two cracking reds now reunited

Offline Shanklygates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #205 on: September 28, 2020, 10:29:05 am »
:D
Think we flew in and out of the air force Base that day - Beauvais? Great stories typical of him. RIP Lenny

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 28, 2020, 11:06:21 am »
:D
Think we flew in and out of the air force Base that day - Beauvais? Great stories typical of him. RIP Lenny

That’s right it was an airforce base , actual armed police / military guiding you onto the plane , the coach just pulled up to the steps of the plane straight from the ground 😀

Offline Shanklygates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #207 on: September 28, 2020, 07:03:56 pm »
We had a transfer coach from Beauvais into the city then back from the Parc des Princes but we went through the terminal building for sure coz I remember loads of lads pinching stuff out of the shop and the woman shouting at them. She could have done with some armed Police in there!

It was only my second Euro away so a bit of an eye opener.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2020, 06:01:48 pm »

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2020, 06:25:39 pm »
https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1310980156455092225?s=19

A nice gesture by the club.

Just watched this ,went  50 years without missing a game that’s some dedication and dosh , talk about seeing everything we’ve done

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: September 29, 2020, 09:14:59 pm »

Didn't know him, but knew who he was. In fact, everybody who was at least semi regular on Euro away's (or any aways for that matter) either knew him, or knew who he was.

Always in the ale house, or back of the coach starting the songs. Although I didn't know him, I spoke to him a couple of times. Made me laugh so much.

Great arl timer, he'll be missed. Think the Echo wrote a piece on him once. RIP.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Shanklygates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #211 on: September 29, 2020, 10:26:16 pm »
Nice gesture by the club.

I didn't know Lenny at all until we were wandering around the marquis at Sabena Goetchen airport in Istanbul in 2005, the day after, and we heard singing. So we walked towards it - 4 guys in perfect harmony - Bobby Wilcox, Lenny and 2 others. We just stood and listened. Ever since we referred to them as the Barbershop Quartet :D Saw Bobby a lot at Euro aways in airport bars etc, and knew who Lenny was through him. Always say him around.

We have lost a few away regulars since the last match :'(

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: R.I.P Bobby Wilcox and Lenny Woods
« Reply #212 on: September 29, 2020, 11:54:00 pm »
Good to see the club respond to Lenny who gave so much in his devotion to the club, Echo article for those who don't know Lenny's face. RIP
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpools-touching-tribute-fan-who-19020511
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Gladbach73

• Anny Roader
« Reply #213 on: September 30, 2020, 02:38:21 pm »
Lenny and Bobby now reunited in heaven, and probably got St Peter singing the harmonies. Cracking fella was Lenny, always time for you saying hello, whether at an away game, or on the concourse at half time on the Kop. The word legend is sometimes overused, but in his, (and Bobbys case), legend was not enough to describe them. True Scousers, barrel of laughs, and songs for any generation. Always remember the two of them in the bar at Brighton Railway station singing The Deadwood Stage, priceless. Always came out with the same saying as they camped out Ina spot in the bar, And ere we are, and ere we are.
"If Everton were playing in my back garden, I'd close the curtains"

Offline Shanklygates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #214 on: September 30, 2020, 06:22:58 pm »
Well done to whoever changed the title of this thread :thumbup

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #215 on: October 1, 2020, 10:33:24 am »
It was Lenny who wrote 'On our way to Roma' in 1977 wasn't it? For the last three or so home games of that season - all lock-outs - this was the song that the Kop loved singing. It established a mood inside the ground and with the team that took us all the way to our first European Cup. When I think of the Kop at its greatest I think of that song - and 28,000 Kopites swaying as we sung to the music of Arrivederci Roma. "Vatican Bells will be ringing.....": Unforgettable.

RIP Lenny
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Lena11

• Boys Pen
  • Reds in my heart!
« Reply #216 on: October 5, 2020, 09:16:29 am »
R.I.P
He'll be deeply missed, he did so much for the reds...

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 26, 2021, 11:18:20 pm »
I went to most of the games from 72 to mid 80's until I went to work abroad, I didn't know Bobbie or Lenny but I remember the lad who is in a couple of pictures with Lenny who lived in Halewood and also had a brother who went the game. There were so many great lads who went to all the games with Fitzy and Mick Kay also passing away recently.

I have met many lads who went to all those wonderful 70's and 80's games but we all had our own coaches, bread vans, trains or ways of getting to the game and there must of been thousands of us.

My wife worked with a woman who's husband went to most away games on his motorbike by himself for twenty odd years and I knew a lad who went by himself and carried one of those little pen knives that every kid had in the 70's. I saw him on The Special one day and asked him to join us, he said to me " I operate by myself" When I asked him what do you mean, he said " I go into their end and stab people with my pen knife.

We seen him getting off the train one day in London and he had a jumper with a hole in it with all blood around it, later in the ground at Tottenham we saw him again with a brand new jumper on and another few under his arm. He had robbed a load of those Liverbird jumpers that Littlewoods used to sell from their shop in London.

RIP Bobby and Lenny..