Author Topic: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]  (Read 600022 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Restaurant Reviews for Liverpool. [Done by RAWKites]
« Reply #4320 on: March 17, 2022, 10:52:19 am »
Cheers, will give them a spin soon!

They're a bit of a small chain (kinda like Mowgli) but my GF loves Thai food so we've eaten there 4 or 5 times and it's always been decent.

Offline Fazak_Red

• Seems to think everything is shite, not including his own one-liners though, of course not......
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #4321 on: March 17, 2022, 01:17:07 pm »
I tried there in August and thought it was awful. The Green Curry tasted like one I could whip up in the house in five minutes and the Pad Thai just tasted of noodles caked in Soy.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4322 on: March 17, 2022, 02:53:27 pm »
I tried there in August and thought it was awful. The Green Curry tasted like one I could whip up in the house in five minutes and the Pad Thai just tasted of noodles caked in Soy.

I don't have the most seasoned tastebuds in the world so I reckon i'll love it regardless  ;D
YNWA.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4323 on: March 17, 2022, 02:58:13 pm »

Only semi bad dish I've had from there was a Deliveroo once, and thought it was a tad too oily for me. Otherwise they've always been decent.

I imagine there are better, non-chainy type Thai restaurants around like.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4324 on: March 17, 2022, 03:01:54 pm »
Went to Slims on Bold street a couple of weeks ago one night after work. Very quiet but lovely

Typical Burger/wings place. Very nice

Wouldn't say it was better than Almost famous or Free State Kitchen but miles above Honest and Fat Hippo on Bold Street

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4325 on: March 18, 2022, 09:56:44 pm »
At the risk of becoming a broken record….

Back to the barn at Moor Hall earlier this week for first visit since it got its Michelin star.

Utterly sublime again. The most impressive thing about this place (and the main restaurant) is how they continually strive to improve. The food is on another level to anything else locally - there’s nowhere around here that gets anywhere close.

Great value too - we paid around £115 a head, but we had a glass of fizz to start, a bottle of excellent wine, desert wines and a cocktail to round off the evening.

Our three courses were outstanding, and we also got three amuse bouche plates thrown in too. Between us we chose the most expensive starter (a scallop dish) and the most expensive main (turbot). They also do a three course set menu for £45 a head so it’s possible to eat very well for not too much money.

Honestly if you’ve not been, just go. It’s outstandingly good, and we’re lucky to have somewhere like this locally, as in my greedy bastard arl arse experience, there are very few places this good in the entire country.

Can’t wait to go back again.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4326 on: March 18, 2022, 10:11:52 pm »
I still haven't been weirdly, but will try and get there this year for sure.

On a similar note, going to my first Michelin starred restaurant for quite some time when I go skiing next week - super excited for it.

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4327 on: March 18, 2022, 10:14:16 pm »
I still haven't been weirdly, but will try and get there this year for sure.

On a similar note, going to my first Michelin starred restaurant for quite some time when I go skiing next week - super excited for it.

Enjoy! Where is it you’re going?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4329 on: March 19, 2022, 12:19:15 pm »
https://guide.michelin.com/en/auvergne-rhone-alpes/les-deux-alpes/restaurant/le-p-tit-polyte

Looks boss that mate - especially the "Origine" menu. Weirdly, the dessert item on there [the Namelaka] is something I'd never heard of until I had it the other day at Moor Hall. Its like the worlds lightest mousse - even nicer than Angel Delight. No, honest.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4330 on: March 24, 2022, 09:57:17 am »
Caribou Poutine are moving to Hardman Street in June. Right opposite Fly in the Loaf. Looks like a bigger premises with more room inside to eat.

Does mean their old place will close which is a shame as it is in a great spec as you stumble out of those bars on the ropewalks

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4331 on: March 24, 2022, 10:48:31 am »
At the risk of becoming a broken record….

Back to the barn at Moor Hall earlier this week for first visit since it got its Michelin star.

Utterly sublime again. The most impressive thing about this place (and the main restaurant) is how they continually strive to improve. The food is on another level to anything else locally - there’s nowhere around here that gets anywhere close.

Great value too - we paid around £115 a head, but we had a glass of fizz to start, a bottle of excellent wine, desert wines and a cocktail to round off the evening.

Our three courses were outstanding, and we also got three amuse bouche plates thrown in too. Between us we chose the most expensive starter (a scallop dish) and the most expensive main (turbot). They also do a three course set menu for £45 a head so it’s possible to eat very well for not too much money.

Honestly if you’ve not been, just go. It’s outstandingly good, and we’re lucky to have somewhere like this locally, as in my greedy bastard arl arse experience, there are very few places this good in the entire country.

Can’t wait to go back again.

£115 a head?

I'd expect to take the table home with me for that
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline pw1008

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4332 on: March 24, 2022, 02:28:22 pm »
Might have been mentioned here already so apologies but Neon Jamon reopening on Smithdown next door to Crafty Swine which I think is owned by the same people.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4333 on: March 24, 2022, 03:17:43 pm »
Might have been mentioned here already so apologies but Neon Jamon reopening on Smithdown next door to Crafty Swine which I think is owned by the same people.

My missus will be happy, she loved Neon.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4334 on: March 24, 2022, 03:18:16 pm »
Looks boss that mate - especially the "Origine" menu. Weirdly, the dessert item on there [the Namelaka] is something I'd never heard of until I had it the other day at Moor Hall. Its like the worlds lightest mousse - even nicer than Angel Delight. No, honest.

Yeah that's the menu we'll be going for.

And nicer than Angel Delight...no such thing  ;D ;D

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4335 on: March 25, 2022, 09:57:53 am »
hi; on a monday night - anything ok open if you come in at 21.30-22'ish in the city centre ? Would normally settle for a couple of bevvies, but bringing the general - tks !
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #4336 on: March 26, 2022, 08:48:55 am »
Went to Etsu for the first time last night for my daughter’s birthday - she loves all things Japanese! Absolute belter of a meal, particular highlights were the tempura soft shell crab, the seared tuna and a beef special (thinly sliced and only barely introduced to the heat). About £30 a head including tip, drinks and dessert but my youngest is 9 so didn’t really have adult amounts of food.
Believer

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #4337 on: March 27, 2022, 05:45:23 pm »
Etsu is boss and long has been mate. Would always recommend it - the highest compliment I can pay is that my uncle’s wife and the extended family are Japanese and ate there with us in about 2017 and they thought it was very good.

Good news on Neon Jamon, was always a relaxed place to go and often had a table free.

Went the Montgomery in Eastham today, for Mother’s Day. Not anywhere near town (it’s just off the M53 past Ellesmere Port) but is only a 30 minute drive from us. Disappointing, bang average. It was class last time I went, admittedly some years ago. Had the mixed chicken special and half of it was overcooked.

5 year anniversary this week, so on Wednesday we’re going to Six by Nico. Hopefully should be as good as usual. Not actually sure what the menu is at the moment, missus booked it and they’re still showing the old menu on the website.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4338 on: March 27, 2022, 08:32:25 pm »
Etsu is boss and long has been mate. Would always recommend it - the highest compliment I can pay is that my uncle’s wife and the extended family are Japanese and ate there with us in about 2017 and they thought it was very good.

Good news on Neon Jamon, was always a relaxed place to go and often had a table free.

Went the Montgomery in Eastham today, for Mother’s Day. Not anywhere near town (it’s just off the M53 past Ellesmere Port) but is only a 30 minute drive from us. Disappointing, bang average. It was class last time I went, admittedly some years ago. Had the mixed chicken special and half of it was overcooked.

5 year anniversary this week, so on Wednesday we’re going to Six by Nico. Hopefully should be as good as usual. Not actually sure what the menu is at the moment, missus booked it and they’re still showing the old menu on the website.

Tried to get into the Crafty Swine that’s next to the “new” Neon Jamon this afternoon but no chance, it was heaving. Loved TriBeCa, gutted it’s gone but really liked both Neon Jamons so glad it’s coming back.

We ended up in the Tavern which was good and plentiful as always.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4339 on: April 7, 2022, 05:19:47 pm »
Went to Bacaro for the 2nd time the other day for lunch. Excellent quality and service. We shared about 7 plates - stand outs were the lamb ragu and the Fritto Misto. Lovely.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline sharkeyb

• Would pay to see a Mason's willy, but not more than £35.
  • Legacy Fan
  • He's on the floor
« Reply #4340 on: April 7, 2022, 08:24:35 pm »
we were in runcorn last weekend to seem my niece in a dance show, we hit up goodle for local resturants, and a thai place came up,

the location was a bit strange, inside another bar, but the food was really good and authentic.  Kung Thai is was, we shared a starter and had a main and drinks it was £25.  i dont think they're really used to dine in customers but the take out seemed to be flying out.  i'm never in runcorn, but if i was i'd go back
Sir, the cash monies?

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4341 on: April 8, 2022, 05:24:07 pm »
Went to Bacaro for the 2nd time the other day for lunch. Excellent quality and service. We shared about 7 plates - stand outs were the lamb ragu and the Fritto Misto. Lovely.

We were in earlier this week. Fantastic as always. Staff are excellent too.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #4342 on: April 11, 2022, 11:50:00 am »
Tried to get into the Crafty Swine that’s next to the “new” Neon Jamon this afternoon but no chance, it was heaving. Loved TriBeCa, gutted it’s gone but really liked both Neon Jamons so glad it’s coming back.

We ended up in the Tavern which was good and plentiful as always.

As it's all under the same ownership, the Crafty Swine have retained some elements of the menu from Tribeca - the pizza selection is smaller, as are the pizzas themselves which are about £7 from memory.

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4343 on: April 19, 2022, 09:25:41 am »

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #4344 on: April 19, 2022, 10:07:15 am »
Barnacle in the Duke Street Market is really good. Enjoyed everything I got on the day, and because it's small the staff are pretty much involved in everything, the same person could seat you, bring over and explain your meals and make your cocktails, so you feel well looked after in that respect.

Great little place and will be going back.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4345 on: April 19, 2022, 10:19:13 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/mar/27/jay-rayner-restaurant-review-queens-wine-bar-liverpool-a-very-nice-time-indeed

Sharing in case anyone missed this, one of my favourite spots in the city

Might give them a spin.

We’ve been popping into Abditory just around the corner for the odd drink.

https://www.abditorybar.com/

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4346 on: April 19, 2022, 10:20:27 pm »

It's great in there. Amazed I've never heard of Queens given I drank/ate round there numerous times a week until last summer, so a little gutted.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4347 on: April 20, 2022, 12:50:20 pm »
Might give them a spin.

Outdoor bit is very popular. Love that they provide blankets if it's cold out

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4348 on: April 20, 2022, 10:50:02 pm »
Outdoor bit is very popular. Love that they provide blankets if it's cold out

Blankets! Just need a hot water bottle and a bath chair and I’m defo going back.

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4349 on: April 22, 2022, 01:49:12 pm »
Might give them a spin.

Cracking little bar, bit of a gem, like the way it is tucked away

Offline gravy red

• Kopite
« Reply #4350 on: April 23, 2022, 03:56:18 pm »
Looking for somewhere close enough to walk to match at Anfield to have Sunday lunch before the game.  Was thinking of the Toby Carvery Queens drive but don’t really like the walk after (over 2 miles). Could park car up near ground and get taxi to the Toby but am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.  Thanks

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4351 on: April 23, 2022, 07:03:23 pm »
Looking for somewhere close enough to walk to match at Anfield to have Sunday lunch before the game.  Was thinking of the Toby Carvery Queens drive but don’t really like the walk after (over 2 miles). Could park car up near ground and get taxi to the Toby but am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.  Thanks

The cabbage hall does a decent three meat roast dinner and plenty of other stuff , five minute walk to the ground , separate restaurant part if you want to eat or will serve you at your table in the rest of the pub

https://www.cabbagehallhotel.co.uk/menu/#roast

« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 07:05:07 pm by gazzam1963 »

Offline gravy red

• Kopite
« Reply #4352 on: April 23, 2022, 09:16:30 pm »
The cabbage hall does a decent three meat roast dinner and plenty of other stuff , five minute walk to the ground , separate restaurant part if you want to eat or will serve you at your table in the rest of the pub

Thanks mate. Will give it a try tomorrow. Any advice on parking near? I’ve got a few places that I usually use but was wondering on anything nearby here (that you may know of) with good way back to M62

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4353 on: April 23, 2022, 11:14:57 pm »

They have a small car park but if you get a space you won’t get out straight after the game , chatted to a few fans in there and a few have used the park on my drive website ( not sure of its actual name ) . Mostly resident parking in the surrounding streets

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4354 on: April 23, 2022, 11:16:58 pm »
They have a small car park but if you get a space you won’t get out straight after the game , chatted to a few fans in there and a few have used the park on my drive website ( not sure of its actual name ) . Mostly resident parking in the surrounding streets

I’d watch those if they’re on road parking as for those permits you need to give a ref number and a thing is issued for your car. So they can’t be changed week to week.

Off road you’re fine obvs.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4355 on: April 24, 2022, 08:17:45 am »
I’d watch those if they’re on road parking as for those permits you need to give a ref number and a thing is issued for your car. So they can’t be changed week to week.

Off road you’re fine obvs.

They also have a visitors one if you’ve applied , my mate uses one to park  on priory  road which is off his brother who lives on there .

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4356 on: April 24, 2022, 08:44:07 am »
They also have a visitors one if you’ve applied , my mate uses one to park  on priory  road which is off his brother who lives on there .

Ah ok. Never used to do them for my area so didn’t know they existed.

Offline gravy red

• Kopite
« Reply #4357 on: April 25, 2022, 12:42:42 pm »

Thanks for this mate. Had a lovely roast dinner with all the trimmings.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #4358 on: April 28, 2022, 12:36:48 pm »
Anyone been Efes in Formby? Got a table in a couple weeks time when we go and see a mate who's just moved there.

Same mate got mugged off big time in the Sparrowhawk that ways. I don't know if anyone's been before, but it's a Brunning and Price pub. They used to be a cracking brewery about 15 - 20 years ago, concentrating on making small village pubs a bit more high end but with really high quality food and beer. A touch more expensive than a typical pub but worth it.

After a few years of expansion and success, they had about 12 - 15 pubs. At that point, the vultures who run the group responsible for Frankie and Benny's and that lot etc bought the brewery and turned them into a chain focused on faux-high end pub food and cookie-cutter pubs spread across the country. I reckon they've over 100 pubs now and the quality nosedived. They stopped doing local dishes with locally sourced food and obviously began a centralised buying process whereby the menus are now almost identical at all their pubs. They stopped giving the managers any freedom to experiment with beer choices and jacked the prices up whilst lowering portion sizes and diminishing the quality. And yet they seem as popular as ever. You ever go near one and they always seem well attended.

Back to the mugging off - my mate orders the Sunday Dinner (extortionate to begin with at 5p shy of £20) and they ask 'would you like the trimmings?' He says yes please, they make no mention of what the trimmings are. His plate comes, he enjoys the meal and then at the end, he's presented with a bill that shows his Sunday dinner was £33. The 'trimmings' constituted added extras of roast potatoes at £3, red cabbage at £2 Pigs in Blankets at £5 and cauli cheese at £3! Absolute robbery. He was fuming and been telling everyone at work about it  ;D I get it though, awful practice to not explain the additional extras you describe as 'trimmings' are sides that cost a fair amount, and slipping it into the order as if it's an optional extra that might get you a yorkshire pud or extra roasty or whatever. The other question is, without roasties and cabbage etc, what exactly are you getting for your £20 to begin with?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #4359 on: April 28, 2022, 01:07:20 pm »
Anyone been Efes in Formby? Got a table in a couple weeks time when we go and see a mate who's just moved there.

Same mate got mugged off big time in the Sparrowhawk that ways. I don't know if anyone's been before, but it's a Brunning and Price pub. They used to be a cracking brewery about 15 - 20 years ago, concentrating on making small village pubs a bit more high end but with really high quality food and beer. A touch more expensive than a typical pub but worth it.

After a few years of expansion and success, they had about 12 - 15 pubs. At that point, the vultures who run the group responsible for Frankie and Benny's and that lot etc bought the brewery and turned them into a chain focused on faux-high end pub food and cookie-cutter pubs spread across the country. I reckon they've over 100 pubs now and the quality nosedived. They stopped doing local dishes with locally sourced food and obviously began a centralised buying process whereby the menus are now almost identical at all their pubs. They stopped giving the managers any freedom to experiment with beer choices and jacked the prices up whilst lowering portion sizes and diminishing the quality. And yet they seem as popular as ever. You ever go near one and they always seem well attended.

Back to the mugging off - my mate orders the Sunday Dinner (extortionate to begin with at 5p shy of £20) and they ask 'would you like the trimmings?' He says yes please, they make no mention of what the trimmings are. His plate comes, he enjoys the meal and then at the end, he's presented with a bill that shows his Sunday dinner was £33. The 'trimmings' constituted added extras of roast potatoes at £3, red cabbage at £2 Pigs in Blankets at £5 and cauli cheese at £3! Absolute robbery. He was fuming and been telling everyone at work about it  ;D I get it though, awful practice to not explain the additional extras you describe as 'trimmings' are sides that cost a fair amount, and slipping it into the order as if it's an optional extra that might get you a yorkshire pud or extra roasty or whatever. The other question is, without roasties and cabbage etc, what exactly are you getting for your £20 to begin with?

Went the Sparrowhawk a few times, agree 100% . Last time was late 2019, it was on the slide then and seemed to have reduced ale choices as you say. Might as well be  a Greene King monstrosity.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.