Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
For me, the worry is that the Dutch league is infamously sketchy as a barometer for PL success. It's ranked 7th by UEFA for a reason, just behind Portugal but the latter is clearly more of a heterogeneous hotbed for talent.

I might agree if I knew what that meant. :D

What previous Dutch managers have or haven’t done in England doesn’t necessarily concern me. How he starts, how the fans and the city take to him will be important. Talk is cheap and all that but from the start you could tell Houllier or Rafa would be someone you could get behind. Hodgson obviously not! Rodgers somewhere in between. We’ll find out soon enough I guess.
Imagine being Trent sitting at home just now with one year on your contract. Got a feeling there will be some amount of movement this coming summer. Can see the likes of Virgil, Salah and Robbo all moving on. Hope Edwards knows what he’s doing here because this is some risky shit that could turn out to be our version of Moyes

I do agree, I have to say. I think the players would have wanted Alonso personally. Ultimately, the players will know what we know about them, experience/achievements etc. They'll know everyone else is a step down, but just how big is that step? With Trent, obviously being local and a red should make up his mind but he's got a lot of his best years ahead, for me there's no way Virgil/Salah can do anything better now.

The way a few of the players looked last season, honestly, if it doesn't go well under the new fella, I can see a couple throwing in the towel at some stage. With Klopp they'd never fully do it but I think you could tell last season some of them weren't fully invested in the fight when the going was tough.
For me, the worry is that the Dutch league is infamously sketchy as a barometer for PL success. It's ranked 7th by UEFA for a reason, just behind Portugal but the latter is clearly more of a heterogeneous hotbed for talent.

This is precisely where I am with this. I read a while ago on Reddit a good comment from a Feyenoord fan who thinks Slot would be good for us one day, but not yet. I would tend to agree - if he went to, say, the Bundesliga and repeated his success, I’d be all in. I really must emphasise that I am under no illusions that whoever we get in is not gonna be on Klopp’s level. But I do think any candidate should come from one of the top leagues, or at least have experience there. It does also mean I would approach Amorim with a similar degree of scepticism, however I’ve generally been impressed with players and managers who have come from Portugal in recent years. I can’t say the same about the Eredivisie, hence I’m a little surprised and underwhelmed with the links. But time will tell of course, and I’d be more than happy to see him succeed.
In any other industry, an unheralded, high-risk appointment in a candidate-poor market, would be given a short 12-18-month contract to quickly prove themselves commensurate with that risk, and the faith put in them to make such a huge step-up.

Even Klopp got a relatively short initial contract if I remember, 3 years I think?

Slot will get a three year contract as well. Its exactly what we should do.
The Boozer / Re: The small things in life that make you happy
« Last post by kesey on Yesterday at 11:23:10 pm »
Foraging wylde garlic and making my own pesto with it is always a good feeling this time of year. A bit of an improvised one as didn't have all the ingredients so.

Garlic leaves
Olive oil
Sesame and Pumpkin seeds
A red pepper
Cayenne
A bit of cheddar
And a tiny bit of honey as it was too bitter

It's fuckin yum. Had a spoonful of it before with salmon and sweet potato mash.
Technology and Science / Re: One Man's Mission to X $44 billion Goodbye
« Last post by thejbs on Yesterday at 11:22:50 pm »
With electronics and speed sensitive steering systems, you only need half a turn of the yoke to give the same effect of making a U-turn on the older style steering.

No more gears and telescopic connections. Which means little R&D costs and even lesser production costs. Which, if you are not a capitalist, can be passed on the consumers.

Unless they’ve changed recently, the Tesla yoke doesn’t have progressive steering ratios. That was a major complaint about it. The only other yoke I’m anware of is in an Lexus, but that does have progressive steering with full lock at 150 degrees. And you don’t need a yoke to have a progressive steering system; plenty of manufacturers have it now with regular, boring old round steering wheels.

The main issue with the yoke is safety. In the event of losing control, you have less surface area to grip. Only the most ardent of fanbois like the yoke. Tesla even had to back down and offer a round wheel as an option. It’s a shocking piece of design that makes no sense. And don’t get me started on the lack of stalks.
In any other industry, an unheralded, high-risk appointment in a candidate-poor market, would be given a short 12-18-month contract to quickly prove themselves commensurate with that risk, and the faith put in them to make such a huge step-up.

Even Klopp got a relatively short initial contract if I remember, 3 years I think? Will be interesting to see what Slot is given.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Last post by Samie on Yesterday at 11:22:30 pm »
Actually I take it back.

You said top tier, didn't you.

;D Aye, but even League 2 teams in England are being data driven these days.
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Last post by jDJ on Yesterday at 11:22:22 pm »
Well I’m actually quite excited by Slot personally.
The Emery reveal is gonna be epic.

For me, if we want a 'head coach' working under this new model, he'd be the obvious choice (I know he's just signed a new deal with Villa). Won all his Europa League trophies with Sevilla under Monchi and will probably win the Conference League with him at Villa.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]