Author Topic: VAR! Video Assistant Referee & Shite Referees in General  (Read 1298956 times)

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: VAR! Huh! What is it good for? Bit shit innit?
« Reply #10840 on: February 20, 2021, 11:20:48 pm »
Match of the day said it was a clear pen, said you can see Trent lifting his foot. I am not sure either way but it seems a bizarre way to concead a pen as Trent was basically hit in the head before any foot was raised.

Trent raising his foot clearly causes Calvert-Lewin to change direction, knee him in the back of the head and fall over screaming.

Naughty from Trent that. Obviously some sort of mind control thing he’s got going on.

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10841 on: February 20, 2021, 11:20:53 pm »
Match of the day said it was a clear pen,

And there we have it, part of the reason they keep getting away with these terrible decisions is because the mainstream media sweep them under the carpet. It's baffling. No accountability.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10842 on: February 20, 2021, 11:22:27 pm »
Match of the day said it was a clear pen, said you can see Trent lifting his foot. I am not sure either way but it seems a bizarre way to concead a pen as Trent was basically hit in the head before any foot was raised.

Foot? Lewin is half way to the floor before he even gets near TAA’s legs given he comes from behind and basically falls over his back/head.

TAA lifts his arm up, but that’s pretty fucking normal when someone comes full pelt into your back/head and you bring you hand up to cover yourself.

Online Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10843 on: February 20, 2021, 11:25:01 pm »
Having realised (if he didn’t before) that since Dean had two red card decisions overturned in two games a couple of weeks ago with zero criticism or action from his boss, that there was absolutely no comeback on him whatsoever if it was a totally wrong decision that he let stand even after reviewing it.

If there’s no incentive to come to the right decision, if you put in an impeccable performance and the reaction from the boss is exactly the same as when you make a horrendous decision and fuck up royally, then what’s to stop you chucking in the odd deliberate piss take of a decision when you know full well you’re going to get away with it?

Basically.

It's a system supposedly set up in order to get the correct decision and reduce error, but it's entirely pointless as no one seems to care that decisions are still routinely incorrect and no one ever gets punished for these continual mistakes.

It is bizarre how football is worth so much financially with such high standards of fitness and professionalism but it's rules are judged & enforced by fat, incompetent, unfit clowns who face no repercussions for not doing their jobs properly.

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10844 on: February 20, 2021, 11:26:30 pm »
Foot? Lewin is half way to the floor before he even gets near TAA’s legs given he comes from behind and basically falls over his back/head.

TAA lifts his arm up, but that’s pretty fucking normal when someone comes full pelt into your back/head and you bring you hand up to cover yourself.

Its not me saying its motd!

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10845 on: February 20, 2021, 11:29:53 pm »
If these are genuinely the rules now then football is ruined. You can run into the back of a defender, knee him in the head whilst he's on the floor, hurdle over him and get a penalty out of it. Anyone can win a penalty then - and presumably get the innocent defender sent off.

We should be all over this in the coming weeks. Let’s test the theory and see how many penalties we get from Mane kneeing prone defenders in the back of the head and then falling over.

I can’t help getting the feeling though that if he were to do that he’d be less likely to get a penalty and be much more likely to get sent off...

...and everyone would agree that as it was dangerous, even though probably accidental, it was strictly speaking “endangering the safety of an opponent” and therefore worthy of a red card.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10846 on: February 20, 2021, 11:35:55 pm »
VAR never even looked at this.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #10847 on: February 20, 2021, 11:36:14 pm »
Has anyone got the clip during our match v Burnley when Sadio got wiped out after taking a shot on goal? Surely that’s more of a penalty than this one tonight?
Believer

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10848 on: February 20, 2021, 11:40:35 pm »
Its not me saying its motd!

I know mate, questioning them not you...you just happened to post what they said  ;D

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10849 on: February 20, 2021, 11:41:27 pm »
We should be all over this in the coming weeks. Let’s test the theory and see how many penalties we get from Mane kneeing prone defenders in the back of the head and then falling over.

I can’t help getting the feeling though that if he were to do that he’d be less likely to get a penalty and be much more likely to get sent off...

...and everyone would agree that as it was dangerous, even though probably accidental, it was strictly speaking “endangering the safety of an opponent” and therefore worthy of a red card.

Absolutely. If the ref is reviewing that for us today, there's absolutely no way it gets given and pundits certainly aren't calling it a penalty. The funny thing is, before VAR you could chalk this off as human error at high speed but when a referee refuses to look at the replay, it's hard to not be suspicious.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Online Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10850 on: February 20, 2021, 11:48:13 pm »
Has anyone got the clip during our match v Burnley when Sadio got wiped out after taking a shot on goal? Surely that’s more of a penalty than this one tonight?

Probably not, as even the camera crew seem to not replay clear fouls not given. The whole thing is bizarre, but it's probably because the Liverpool players are not up in the ref's face screaming foul play..
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10851 on: February 20, 2021, 11:57:13 pm »
Probably not, as even the camera crew seem to not replay clear fouls not given. The whole thing is bizarre, but it's probably because the Liverpool players are not up in the ref's face screaming foul play..

If you watch Trent, his body language appears to be like yeah I fecked up. Could had been more in the refs face and put him under pressure to reverse it. He looks kind of too nice. If Gerrard or Carragher was in that position they would be barking at the ref.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10852 on: February 21, 2021, 12:00:53 am »
If you watch Trent, his body language appears to be like yeah I fecked up. Could had been more in the refs face and put him under pressure to reverse it. He looks kind of too nice. If Gerrard or Carragher was in that position they would be barking at the ref.
That doesn’t work either if you’re a Liverpool player. Mane tried that and was promptly booked

Offline Dr Stu-Pid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #10853 on: February 21, 2021, 12:08:05 am »
The mental gymnastics by pundits saying that it was the correct decision are very impressive.  Next week they’ll be back to no penalty because ‘not all contact is a penalty’ and ‘the striker initiates the contact’.

These kind of incidents always take me back to the game against Man City when they pipped us by a point and Stones cleared off the line.  In that incident Mane is completely taken out by Ederson after shooting which denies him a tap in from the rebound off the post, but no penalty given and no pundits ever thought it should have been a penalty.  And that's with a keeper wiping out a striker rather than a striker running into a defender already on the ground.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10854 on: February 21, 2021, 12:17:10 am »

Carra would prob have been doing a piece to pitch side camera about what gobshites each of the Liverpool players were.

It’s fuck all to do with how out players acted, saying that gives the refs and out.

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10855 on: February 21, 2021, 12:20:25 am »
I still believe VAR can change the game for the better, and help the refs correct the 'I really got that wrong' mistakes.
But jesus christ, Mariner sends him over to the screen tonight as he obviously doesn't think that's a foul or a penalty. Ref watches one replay of it, from the most zoomed out angle possible, and doesn't change his mind.
FFS. What is the fucking point. It's such a shit decision. DCL literally runs over Trent's leg and falls over. It's not a foul in the slightest.
No accountability at all though and he'll be back to refereeing next weekend. Mike Riley will gloss over it and say it's the correct decision. Shambles.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10856 on: February 21, 2021, 12:20:43 am »
That doesn’t work either if you’re a Liverpool player. Mane tried that and was promptly booked
Incidentally, I’m racking my brains but when was the last time anybody saw a yellow in the premier league for dissent. It’s common practice to get in the refs face but you never see a yellow- until today when Mané wasn’t even in his face.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10857 on: February 21, 2021, 12:22:52 am »
I still believe VAR can change the game for the better, and help the refs correct the 'I really got that wrong' mistakes.
But jesus christ, Mariner sends him over to the screen tonight as he obviously doesn't think that's a foul or a penalty. Ref watches one replay of it, from the most zoomed out angle possible, and doesn't change his mind.
FFS. What is the fucking point. It's such a shit decision. DCL literally runs over Trent's leg and falls over. It's not a foul in the slightest.
No accountability at all though and he'll be back to refereeing next weekend. Mike Riley will gloss over it and say it's the correct decision. Shambles.
....and why do these shambles of decisions never fall FOR Liverpool

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10858 on: February 21, 2021, 12:23:30 am »
The whole thing is bizarre, but it's probably because the Liverpool players are not up in the ref's face screaming foul play..

Mane got booked today for just looking at the ref in a funny way.  If we start screaming at refs we will get players booked and called out in the media who will suddenly claim we “have a reputation for it” (probably citing the infamous example from about 14 years ago) leading to refs clamping down on us even speaking to them.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 12:25:01 am by Kekule »

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #10859 on: February 21, 2021, 12:30:59 am »
VAR is only supposed to get involved if there is a clear and obvious error......so..

Either it was no Pen and that's why VAR asked the Ref to have another look.

Or it was a Red card on Trent.

As the Ref was mouthing it's a pen...I think we know why he was called over.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #10860 on: February 21, 2021, 12:47:50 am »
Haha... He also thinks the penalty was the correct decision... :lmao
I love the one answer where a guy asks him why he then thought that Sadio shouldn't have gotten a penalty against Brighton when the goalkeeper clearly got in his way to bring him down. With a nice little clip of it attached...

Got a link to that?

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #10861 on: February 21, 2021, 12:51:25 am »
Got a link to that?
https://twitter.com/phil_ryding/status/1363221937384812548?s=20

Got it wrong though in my initial post as it was against Newcastle. Don't really remember stuff like that, but saw another twitter post mentioning it was against Brighton and didn't check if that was right. But as the tweet is asking about Darlow and in the video they say Schär clears it off the line, it seems to be Newcastle..
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 01:01:24 am by stoa »

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10862 on: February 21, 2021, 01:47:05 am »
....and the crux of the matter here is not whether it was a penalty or not(although it was very important as it killed the game). The crux of the matter is why would you install a system like VAR to review errors and then have a referee refuse to review an error when asked to do so. A 2 second glance from one angle does not constitute a review especially as he must have known that the views that Mariner had had caused him to call for the review.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10863 on: February 23, 2021, 08:18:36 am »
I didn't see the Derby as I was working, so yesterday was the first time I'd seen the penalty decision.

If anyone still thinks its tin foil hats and conspiracy theory bollocks, take a look at that and tell me the referees are not biased/corrupt/cheating. That is the most blatant example of a referee cheating that I've seen since watching a Serie A game. How you give it at full speed is a mystery, how you could not overturn it after watching a replay is straight up corruption. Although, you actually have to watch the replay........
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Ski

• daddle. Wouldn't recognise an idea, if it rang his doorbell and got invited in for dinner. He will survive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10864 on: February 23, 2021, 08:27:58 am »
But Dermot Gallagher said yesterday it was a pen and a red card so it be right, right?
Has Steven Gerrard scored a goal even more important than the one he got against Olympiakos - Is this the start of something BIG?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10865 on: February 23, 2021, 08:42:24 am »
Indeed on ref watch yesterday:

Trent incident was a penalty & red card.
Maguire elbow wasn't anything.
Fulham goalkeeper challenge wasn't a penalty or red.

According to Dermot Gallagher.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10866 on: February 23, 2021, 09:00:55 am »
The game is truly dead.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline oldman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10867 on: February 23, 2021, 09:13:34 am »
from what I gather reading various articles the ref wasnt sent to the monitor to overturn the penalty like we all expected to happen.

Marriner was telling him to go over to the monitor and then send Trent off !!

we are lucky he didnt

the premier league  is truly fucked

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #10868 on: February 23, 2021, 09:18:09 am »
But as Trent didnt make an attempt to play the ball it should have been an automatic red if it's a pen shouldn't it? Like Luiz the other week? So either way the ref didn't have a clue what he was doing.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10869 on: February 23, 2021, 09:23:36 am »
from what I gather reading various articles the ref wasnt sent to the monitor to overturn the penalty like we all expected to happen.

Marriner was telling him to go over to the monitor and then send Trent off !!

we are lucky he didnt

the premier league  is truly fucked

No, the VAR was dubious if it was a pen. Nothing to do with if it was a red.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10870 on: February 23, 2021, 09:46:22 am »
No, the VAR was dubious if it was a pen. Nothing to do with if it was a red.
Sky are saying it was to check if it should be a red, not checking the foul.

Either which way it's a fucking shambles.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10871 on: February 23, 2021, 09:51:25 am »
Sky are saying it was to check if it should be a red, not checking the foul.

Either which way it's a fucking shambles.

Sky would say that, to cover up the cheating from the Manc ref.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10872 on: February 23, 2021, 10:07:56 am »

Dermot Gallagher is the worst thing to come out of Dublin since Sarge.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10873 on: February 23, 2021, 10:35:48 am »

That's ridiculous.
There needs to be some kind of right of reply were clubs can get some explanations as to why one incident is given and another isn't.

The Mane example is a great one. so explain why if Trents was a pen (and a red), Mane's was neither.
The other one they love to bring out is normal contact. That Chelsea pen earlier in the season? Is that normal contact compared to the ones that have been denied to Salah and Mane?

I thought that refs used to visit clubs to explain rules and how they'll be reffed. Guessing that isn't happening at the moment because the refs don't have a clue.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10874 on: February 23, 2021, 11:04:45 am »
I had a wee trawl through the stats yesterday whilst RAWK was down, to see if there was anything beyond the sight test from actually watching the games. The one thing that stood out was the number of goals we’ve had disallowed by VAR:

6 is the answer. 6 out of 25 goals overturned in the entire 20 team league. Nearly 25% of goals overturned have been by 5% of league members. How is that even possible? Bad luck? Our deal with the devil finally run its course and now we’re in the payback phase?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #10875 on: February 23, 2021, 11:05:28 am »
Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere, or I am out of order. I'm completely unaware of what has happened.
But was there any reason why this site has been down since Sunday night/Mon morning, and has returned with topics and pages missing?
Please remove this post if inappropriate. I just genuinely don't know. I'm slightly paranoid at the moment about all these strange VAR decisions, and the explanations provided by the authorities, and I'm putting 2+2 together, thinking that we're too close to the truth.....

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #10876 on: February 23, 2021, 11:07:48 am »
Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere, or I am out of order. I'm completely unaware of what has happened.
But was there any reason why this site has been down since Sunday night/Mon morning, and has returned with topics and pages missing?
Please remove this post if inappropriate. I just genuinely don't know. I'm slightly paranoid at the moment about all these strange VAR decisions, and the explanations provided by the authorities, and I'm putting 2+2 together, thinking that we're too close to the truth.....

They've had server issues. I'd guess that they've gone to a backup version and that's why a few recent posts have been lost.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10877 on: February 23, 2021, 11:15:36 am »
I must be paranoid too because that was my first thought. In our case the old saying holds good though "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that people(refs) aren't out to get you". :)
NB. Not a great backup/restore plan - you should be able to just roll the logs forward :)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #10878 on: February 23, 2021, 11:21:14 am »
Dermot Gallagher is the worst thing to come out of Dublin since Sarge.

;D
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Dr Stu-Pid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #10879 on: February 23, 2021, 11:39:51 am »

The fact that a former referee can look at these two incidents and say that one is a penalty and a red and the other is neither tells you everything you need to know about the modern game.

I guarantee that if you showed him incidents where other players were taken out after shooting in a far more deliberate way but no penalty given then he'd defend those decisions as well even though he is contradicting himself.  They all make it up as the go along and find ways to justify their ridiculous decisions.

He also said this about the Utd penalty:

I think this is what we call a 'modern-day penalty'. From what we've seen in the Premier League this season, they've decided if there's contact on the foot, they'll give a penalty. That's why, 25 rounds in, we've already had more penalties than any other season before. We talk about consistency - they have been consistent.

Yet against Everton when Digne catches Salah in the box slightly that isn't a penalty.  Nor is the tangle of legs with Mane against Southampton, or the Newcastle keeper grabbing Mane's leg, or Mane being taken out after shooting against Burnley, or Salah against Villa, etc etc.  They are consistent at backing up each other's decisions and that is about as far as it goes.