Author Topic: The BBC  (Read 129258 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The BBC
« Reply #1920 on: April 1, 2024, 08:51:57 pm »
I was talking about the Iphone!

;D

I used to do training courses in Milton Keynes in the 90s - absolute shithole.

Was in MK for a works meeting in Oct, soulless place.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1921 on: April 1, 2024, 09:22:46 pm »
;D

Was in MK for a works meeting in Oct, soulless place.

MK must be twinned with Skelmersdale then, both soulless towns & places with a thousand roundabouts.
#Sausages

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #1922 on: April 2, 2024, 12:12:45 am »
MK must be twinned with Skelmersdale then, both soulless towns & places with a thousand roundabouts.
I did hear once that the roundabout in Skelmersdale was the biggest in Europe, although how you define a roundabout is tricky

https://www.evansdave.com/hal-mile-island/
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1923 on: April 2, 2024, 09:01:38 am »
I did hear once that the roundabout in Skelmersdale was the biggest in Europe, although how you define a roundabout is tricky

https://www.evansdave.com/hal-mile-island/

Used to mess about on that on Sunday mornings, teaching a mate how to get his knee down on the bike. It was on my way to/from work when I lived in Burscough, so I'd get my knee down going home
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1924 on: April 2, 2024, 10:31:44 am »
What's a knee-down - possibly an unsuccessful party?
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1925 on: April 2, 2024, 11:37:45 am »
;D
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1926 on: April 5, 2024, 03:21:45 pm »
I spent some time there in the early 90s assisting my eccentric boss with a review of a company's IT systems. He'd arrived a few days before me and had been unable to find anywhere to eat that wasn't a fast food restaurant. By the time I turned up, he'd come up with a cunning plan to find some decent food - specifically that there must be a traditional pub+grub locally, that it would exist on part of the original town/village and that the old town/village could be identified by being on a road that was not part of the grid system. When we finished work for the day, he handed me a map and told me to navigate and we spent over an hour touring bends in the road in Milton Keynes with not a pub in sight. We'd have been there longer if I hadn't threatened to eat him (I get cross when I'm hungry) and we duly ended up in Stony Stratford.  ;D

There's a harvester, just outside Bletchley and just off a grid road that I always like.
Stony thinks it's great. But it isn't.  Though it is now home to one of my favourite chip shops .
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1927 on: April 5, 2024, 09:18:03 pm »

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #1928 on: April 6, 2024, 10:21:43 am »
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1929 on: April 6, 2024, 10:27:25 am »

I was going to comment that MK is the non Scouse version of Skem 😂

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1930 on: April 6, 2024, 11:19:45 am »

Yeah, you were whooshed there, rob. :D
I knew that. I'm clever me.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1931 on: April 6, 2024, 01:56:27 pm »
It’s corruption
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1932 on: April 6, 2024, 02:38:43 pm »

Yeah, you were whooshed there, rob. :D

I always assume people know nothing 😉

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1933 on: April 6, 2024, 03:12:42 pm »
I always assume people know nothing 😉
And most of the time, you would be correct! ;D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1934 on: Yesterday at 06:32:50 pm »
Huw Edwards leaves the BBC on health grounds.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1935 on: Yesterday at 06:43:46 pm »
What on earth are the BBC doing playing somebody £400K a year to read out the News? It's obscene.

The best way for the BBC to save money would be to close the monolithic BBC News department, completely bloated and a waste of money. I can get my News from the 5 minute bulletins on the radio without the agenda, spin and hype that the BBC seem to apply to every News article nowadays.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Online thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1936 on: Yesterday at 09:48:35 pm »
What on earth are the BBC doing playing somebody £400K a year to read out the News? It's obscene.
They have a weird pay system.  They end up wildly overpaying some presenters - presumably to stop them going to other broadcasters - and then fall foul of age/sex discrimination legal action because they don't overpay everybody similarly (e.g. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68844320).

I'd be happy if the Beeb were just a proving ground for young presenters.  If they make a name for themselves and want to earn more at a commercial broadcaster then wish them well and bring in the next presenter.  I couldn't care less who is reading the autocue on the various news shows just so long as they're moderately articulate.

I like Gary Lineker as a person and he's a steady presenter but if they advertised his gigs at 10% of the salary they'd still have thousands of high quality applicants.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #1937 on: Today at 12:51:11 am »
Huw Edwards leaves the BBC on health grounds.
the Scum chalks up another victim
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline LuverlyRita

• metar made
  • Kopite
« Reply #1938 on: Today at 09:20:30 am »
I'd be happy if the Beeb were just a proving ground for young presenters.  If they make a name for themselves and want to earn more at a commercial broadcaster then wish them well and bring in the next presenter.  I couldn't care less who is reading the autocue on the various news shows just so long as they're moderately articulate.

I like Gary Lineker as a person and he's a steady presenter but if they advertised his gigs at 10% of the salary they'd still have thousands of high quality applicants.
Experience may be required in a news environment where events are moving quickly but it's hard to see how the size of some of those salaries are justified.
Arguably The BBC would be better spending some money on fact checkers, especially now that news is a 24 hour rolling thing. They've had a few gaffs recently where they've allowed themselves to be manipulated by people with an agenda.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1939 on: Today at 09:38:07 am »
Well if the Beeb are prepared to pay that much to hold onto presenters, then one can assume other broadcasters would want to offer close to that?

I agree it's stupid money to offer an news anchor, especially when there's still a definite pay gap between men and women in broadcasting. But if ITN or Sky is prepared to offer £250k a year, then clearly the BBC feels they have to make an offer too good to turn down.

News broadcasting relies heavily on stalwarts; people connect better to familiar faces. There's a case to be made to bring in fresh faces, and even allow them to move on if they get a suitable offer. But I expect the BBC don't want to be seen as either a stepping stone, nor a revolving door. And in the great scheme of things, there are only so many broadcasters, only so many news/current affairs programmes. The market for presenters, at least on national networks, may well be saturated at this point. Probably very hard to break into.

I'm neither yay or nay on the issue. Just speculating.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art