Author Topic: Wimbledon 2015  (Read 93699 times)

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Wimbledon 2015
« Reply #1800 on: July 11, 2015, 08:05:42 pm »
Mirza showed her worth in that tie break, she's very good from the back of the court, but is found wanting a bit at the net

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1801 on: July 11, 2015, 08:06:02 pm »
Now that's the Mirza I want to see!
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1802 on: July 11, 2015, 08:18:48 pm »
Well done to Serena - oldest winner of the modern era. 

Well mannered and respectful to boot

Not according to some.

Apparently she's arrogant and disrespectful (!)

Greatest ever woman tennis player...  but there's always some who want to put the great down.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1803 on: July 11, 2015, 08:19:41 pm »
I do wish Vesnina would stop shouting 'uh yaaa' everytime she hits the ball!
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1804 on: July 11, 2015, 08:27:53 pm »
Wonderful play.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1805 on: July 11, 2015, 08:29:50 pm »
Who is Mirza's usual doubles partner? She's displaying so many weaknesses today! Hingis hasn't been her absolute best either, but she's played well enough.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1806 on: July 11, 2015, 08:32:06 pm »
Hingis is her usual partner and has been since Indian Wells, they've done really well as a team since they joined up

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1807 on: July 11, 2015, 08:34:49 pm »
Not according to some.

Greatest ever woman tennis player...  but there's always some who want to put the great down.

Is she greater than Graf or Navratilova? Genuine question as not sure how I'd rank them or who played in the strongest era?

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1808 on: July 11, 2015, 08:35:29 pm »
3 bps gone for Hingis and Mirza

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1809 on: July 11, 2015, 08:46:28 pm »
Hingis is her usual partner and has been since Indian Wells, they've done really well as a team since they joined up

Interesting - thank you. I'm a casual fan, so this Wimbledon is the first time I've seen them play together. Mirza's forehand groundstrokes are superb, though she's still been making some unforced errors/poor shot selections on that side at crucial moments today. While her serve is a massive weapon, much more consistent and dangerous than Hingis'. But then I'm amazed at how weak her backhand side has been. And as you pointed out before, she's not that great at the net either. She's also seemed a little sluggish around the court in comparison to the other three. Which is why I was curious whether she usually played with a different partner.

GET IN!

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1810 on: July 11, 2015, 08:48:29 pm »
Interesting - thank you. I'm a casual fan, so this Wimbledon is the first time I've seen them play together. Mirza's forehand groundstrokes are superb, though she's still been making some unforced errors/poor shot selections on that side at crucial moments today. While her serve is a massive weapon, much more consistent and dangerous than Hingis'. But then I'm amazed at how weak her backhand side has been. And as you pointed out before, she's not that great at the net either. She's also seemed a little sluggish around the court in comparison to the other three. Which is why I was curious whether she usually played with a different partner.

GET IN!

I think part of the reason they've done so well is because they compliment each other's game styles so well. Mirza can stand on the baseline using her big forehand and Hingis can use her anticipation and hand skills around the net. When Hingis is trading from the baseline and Mirza is at the net they look fairly average

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1811 on: July 11, 2015, 08:52:02 pm »
Ridiculous shot.

Closing the roof now.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1812 on: July 11, 2015, 08:52:51 pm »
What a match. Come on Mirza/Hingis!
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1813 on: July 11, 2015, 08:53:33 pm »
What weak backhand  :D

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #1814 on: July 11, 2015, 08:59:44 pm »

Is she greater than Graf or Navratilova? Genuine question as not sure how I'd rank them or who played in the strongest era?

I think Graf was better. She was as mentally tough but had more skill (as far as I can remember - 'twas a long time ago now).

Navratilova played in too different an era (I think) to make a comparison.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #1815 on: July 11, 2015, 09:03:52 pm »

Not according to some.

She's had her moments over the years but I don't think arrogance and disrespect can be leveled at her at this point.

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1816 on: July 11, 2015, 09:17:16 pm »
Hingis and Mirza break straight away and serve for the match.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1817 on: July 11, 2015, 09:20:06 pm »
Never knew Mirza is married to Shoaib Malik.

Mirza and Hingis have played brilliantly since they were a break down.

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1818 on: July 11, 2015, 09:21:32 pm »
Woohoo. There is life after singles. So pleased for Hingis.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #1819 on: July 11, 2015, 09:21:52 pm »
Hingis a Wimbledon champion again!
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1820 on: July 11, 2015, 09:22:14 pm »
Get in!
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1821 on: July 11, 2015, 09:24:41 pm »
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Love Hingis skipping across the court in celebration  :D

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1822 on: July 11, 2015, 09:25:34 pm »
I want to see them get the trophy.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1823 on: July 11, 2015, 09:28:17 pm »
Not according to some.

I bet you think it's a travesty if Tiger Woods gets shit as well

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1824 on: July 11, 2015, 10:06:52 pm »
Well he's far, far more consistent that's for sure. Murray, like Djokovic and Nadal made use of his talent early on in his career. Started reaching his top level at a young age. Stan's had a very unique career trajectory. He always had an aesthetically pleasing game, but always crumbled under pressure. He had the odd good tournament here and there, but never anything more. The coach change a few years back to Magnus Norman really helped him get over the mental hurdles of constantly bottling it vs the 'big 4'.

On winning grand slams - I definitely disagree there. I have huge admiration for all the top players, with Nadal and Murray being my favorites, so it bugs me to see him lose, but Murray's never had the game to compete with a Djokovic/Nadal/ Federer who are having a good day. He's always been 3rd or 4th best. Don't get me wrong, he definitely deserved the 2 grand slams he has, he played very well, but given the competition, its about right. IMO Wawrinka, if he'd had the right coach and a better mentality when he was younger, would have been a big menace for the big 4 even in the Fed, Nadal and Djoko heyday of 05-14. In the key matches, while Murray often comes up short (I just don't think he has the weapons to hurt the other guys at the top, who tend to be his opponents in the finals), while Stan on a good day has that in his locker.

Of course, Murray has been unlucky in that when he was coming through he had two of the best players of all time to get past (Federer and Nadal), then when Nadal starts to fade he has to deal with Djokovic. Obviously those three were always likely to win more titles than him, but I feel that on a few occasions he's beaten himself as much as anything - I remember a couple of big matches against Djokovic where he was ahead and playing well, he made one mistake and let it get to him, went to pieces and lost. He seems to do that less now, but as someone said earlier, he still seems to be too conservative at times - just plays his normal game, which is good, but not quite good enough. He did play some brilliant shots at times yesterday and showed tremendous mental toughness in that long game, but it was always reactive, trying to resist Federer and hold on to his serve, rather than trying to dominate him and put him under pressure. Easier said than done obviously, but if you just defend and let him play, you've got no chance.

However in some ways he's been a victim of his own success and consistency - if he'd only got to 3/4 finals and won 2 of them, we'd all be saying he'd done as well as he could have - but the fact that he's got to 8 finals (and many other semis) yet only won 2, leads you to think that he could've done better given his ability. I think everyone takes for granted now how good he is - when you compare him to Tim Henman, who was good but only ever flirted with being a top player, Murray is on a completely different level.

In some ways he's a more interesting player than Federer and Djokovic, because you never quite know what you're going to get - when it comes to the big matches he often gives the impression that he's battling against some demon or other, against his own lack of belief in himself. He is mentally very tough but it's a different kind of toughness to Federer and Djokovic. Murray will keep fighting and can come back from seemingly impossible positions, but at times his confidence seems brittle - if he makes a big mistake he often lets it get to him and it affects his game, whereas those two seem much more controlled and able to shrug things off.

I really like him, I just feel it's shame he hasn't won more titles when he has the ability to do it.

Offline whtwht

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1825 on: July 11, 2015, 10:51:46 pm »
I bet you think it's a travesty if Tiger Woods gets shit as well
FOH. Serena deserves all the plaudits.
He'll win the league in the next 3 years. Quote me on that.
Quote me on this, but come next season he'll be great for us. Just needs to remove the walking headless chicken next to him

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1826 on: July 11, 2015, 11:05:16 pm »
FOH. Serena deserves all the plaudits.
and Woods doesn't? It's a bit weird how you're not allowed to dislike her for one reason or another regardless of how good she is

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1827 on: July 12, 2015, 11:09:39 am »

Good question, mate. I only saw Serena at her peak, who really is a beast on the court, but from everything my 'pa tells me Navratilova is a cut above both her and Steffi Graf. He describes her as one of the smartest tennis players to ever play the game, while also being bullishly tough both physically and mentally, technically versatile in the way that Federer is ("she could play any kind of shot"), and a bit mad (always a positive). In his words, if the three were to play off against eachother Navratilova would win without question, quite smply because she was smarter. She would ruthlessly search out your weakness and once she found it that was it. Also, as a left hander she has an instant advantage over any right hander - forcing them to adjust their game.

One man's opinion. But a lucky bugger to see so many greats... Rod Laver being the all-time greatest for him (another left-hander).

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1828 on: July 12, 2015, 11:28:20 am »
Federer in 4 sets.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1829 on: July 12, 2015, 12:00:57 pm »

I'd say so. Only injury can stop her from the us open now?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1830 on: July 12, 2015, 12:01:55 pm »
I'd say so. Only injury can stop her from the us open now?

Would that make her the greatest. I think Graf did the calendar Grand slam too. All amazing players obviously.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1831 on: July 12, 2015, 12:04:03 pm »
Would that make her the greatest. I think Graf did the calendar Grand slam too. All amazing players obviously.
What's your name about?!

I think she's best ever already. Even not at her best she wins tournaments and major ones at that.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1832 on: July 12, 2015, 12:05:13 pm »
She did the golden slam. Graf is the greatest in my opinion.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1833 on: July 12, 2015, 12:31:52 pm »
I think she's best ever already. Even not at her best she wins tournaments and major ones at that.

She's an absolute powerhouse both physically and mentally, and no doubt one of the greatest, but has she been somewhat lucky to be playing in time without many great female tennis players to challenge her? Her sister, Sharapova, Davenport (although she peaked a little earlier, I think), and Hingis if her ankles had held up. Conversely Navratilova faced Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, and Monica Seles in her time. With Graf facing a similar mix of players from both eras.

These hypotheticals are impossible though really. It's like Pelé vs Maradona. It becomes a generational thing of who saw who at their peak.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #1834 on: July 12, 2015, 01:04:30 pm »
Who would the roof benefit today?

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1835 on: July 12, 2015, 01:05:57 pm »
It makes the ball travel slower right? So I suppose that aids the more defensive player - Djokovic

Offline OzBomber

• Favourite manager Tommy Tootchel favourite Player Naby 'lid' Kyta
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1836 on: July 12, 2015, 01:06:16 pm »
Last time they played under the roof Fed absolutely destroyed Djokovic in the 2012 semi final.

100% Fed's advantage if it's under the roof. No chance of his backhand being affected by the conditions.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1837 on: July 12, 2015, 01:06:40 pm »
Andy Roddick has been a decent pundit. Hope the beeb keep him.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1838 on: July 12, 2015, 01:11:45 pm »
Federer advantage if the roof closes. The ball is less likely to move around and such facilitates the greater shot maker, which is Federer.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1839 on: July 12, 2015, 01:12:20 pm »
I always find it a bit weird how people support particular individuals like supporting a team/club