Author Topic: Wildlife and Natural Places  (Read 45262 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Wildlife and Natural Places
« Reply #200 on: May 27, 2021, 09:21:34 pm »
Pics taken by the Coastguard off Hengistbury Head in Dorset today

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: June 21, 2021, 08:49:27 am »
I know it's already over the 200k but if you love wildlife and natural places could you please sign and share.

I've put it in some other topics too.

https://e-activist.com/page/76784/petition/1?ea.tracking.id=WCL&s=04&fbclid=IwAR1-rx4GTSJ5M3aOPoGQZwa9LeTbSbi1zgkyL9UwdAibjAoSBn3a7urH6xo

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: July 7, 2021, 01:32:31 pm »
I've just finished doing an inventory of all the plants, shrubs and trees in the garden so I can work out when, where and how things can be moved to more suitable places but I'm thinking I should really do one for all the wild flowers, grasses etc that we've allowed to grow. 

There's so many of them and there's still new ones appearing pretty much every week. 

We're also thinking about setting up some motion sensor type cameras to record the wildlife as I'm sure there's loads of critters use the garden as home that were unaware of.

Has anyone done this and do you have any hints or tips on what we'd need equipment wise and how and where to set the cameras up?

Thanks 👍

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: July 7, 2021, 05:01:46 pm »
I decided to make a start on the inventory of the wildlife part of the garden earlier and the insect life is unbelievable.

Along with all the buzzing I could here crickets and grasshoppers and then for the first time in my life I actually saw them!

I think I've identified them as a meadow grasshopper and an oak bush cricket 😁

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: July 12, 2021, 09:15:51 am »
A question for Red Soldier, actually no it's 2 questions.

We have a variety of thistles here apart from teasel, this morning I've noticed some that are coming into flower have white flowers not the usual yellow.

Also we have a dead willow tree that had fallen before we moved in but although the base is literally crumbling from termites etc the upper branches have leafed as normal.

Ive noticed this morning some whitish lumps on the leaves that look like eggs, lavea or parasite, any ideas what it could be and is it something that needs reporting?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 09:18:56 am by reddebs »

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: July 15, 2021, 12:20:23 pm »
Pine Marten run over on the road by our village just now - both sad and also quite exciting as they were reintroduced along the coast a while back (was covered on Springwatch). They’re on their way.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2021, 10:52:16 am »
On holiday in Cyprus last week, sat on the patio outside our room looking towards the pool, about 11:30 pm. Saw what I thought was a couple of owls swooping, so wandered down to look. It was a pair of huge bats Egyptian Fruit bats I think they were. One was in the tree crawling about like Dracula and saw the other sort of hovering right next to the trunk.

Got used to them flying between the trees and even landing in the tree above our patio
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #207 on: November 2, 2021, 06:38:13 pm »
On holiday in Cyprus last week, sat on the patio outside our room looking towards the pool, about 11:30 pm. Saw what I thought was a couple of owls swooping, so wandered down to look. It was a pair of huge bats Egyptian Fruit bats I think they were. One was in the tree crawling about like Dracula and saw the other sort of hovering right next to the trunk.

Got used to them flying between the trees and even landing in the tree above our patio

Did a safari on our honeymoon and people in the lodge next to us were woken in the night by a massive bat crawling up there bed. Lovely stuff.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: November 2, 2021, 06:45:54 pm »
Did a safari on our honeymoon and people in the lodge next to us were woken in the night by a massive bat crawling up there bed. Lovely stuff.

Bat I could deal with, but not a massive spider

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #209 on: November 18, 2021, 02:05:19 am »

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #210 on: November 18, 2021, 09:02:08 pm »
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #211 on: November 18, 2021, 09:03:19 pm »

That's fake.

He hasn't got his daughter's foot in his mouth.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #212 on: November 18, 2021, 09:03:36 pm »

WHERE’S YOUR HEAD AT? WHERE’S YOUR HEAD AT?

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #213 on: November 18, 2021, 09:19:02 pm »
That's fake.

He hasn't got his daughter's foot in his mouth.
Still makes me  :puke2

WHERE’S YOUR HEAD AT? WHERE’S YOUR HEAD AT?
Brilliant  8)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5rAOyh7YmEc&amp;ab" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5rAOyh7YmEc&amp;ab</a>

Although I was more making a link between the micro-penises tbf  ;D

If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2022, 04:31:44 pm »
We've just been setting up the camera for tonight and whilst we were getting it in position a stoat ran out from near the composts and across the garden not a meter or so from us ☺️

Hopefully we'll have some activity recorded to check out tomorrow despite not getting anything last night.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #215 on: January 15, 2022, 04:42:29 pm »
We've just been setting up the camera for tonight and whilst we were getting it in position a stoat ran out from near the composts and across the garden not a meter or so from us ☺️

Hopefully we'll have some activity recorded to check out tomorrow despite not getting anything last night.

Foxes and badgers all getting their coats peck-combed by local birds for the later shows, Debs... :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: January 15, 2022, 04:45:52 pm »
Foxes and badgers all getting their coats peck-combed by local birds for the later shows, Debs... :D

We've seen the stoats last summer but not as close as that but yeah the foxes and badgers are the ones I want to see.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #217 on: January 17, 2022, 01:42:39 pm »
January 17th and we've just saw the first wasp of the year at the window. 🐝
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #218 on: January 17, 2022, 02:17:23 pm »
We've seen the stoats last summer but not as close as that but yeah the foxes and badgers are the ones I want to see.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a live badger, just the occasional roadkill.

How big is a stoat? Pretty cool that you came see (and record) so much wildlife. Urban foxes are a pretty common sight for me most times I’m walking after dark (and sometimes in daylight) but that’s really about it.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: January 17, 2022, 03:44:52 pm »
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a live badger, just the occasional roadkill.

How big is a stoat? Pretty cool that you came see (and record) so much wildlife. Urban foxes are a pretty common sight for me most times I’m walking after dark (and sometimes in daylight) but that’s really about it.

I've not seen a live badger either and I've no idea if there are any round here but the habitat could definitely sustain them so there's a chance there is.

A stoat is probably slightly smaller than a domestic cat but bigger than ferrets, weasels and mink.

As for foxes, they're probably more common in urban areas than the countryside.  We used to see them quite often where we used to live but we've only seen one since we moved.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #220 on: February 2, 2022, 12:47:03 am »

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: April 2, 2022, 04:28:40 pm »
We've just had a stoat casually wandering around the garden despite the dogs going absolutely crazy barking at it, watching from indoors 😁

Bloody predictive text 🤦
« Last Edit: April 2, 2022, 05:57:57 pm by reddebs »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #222 on: April 2, 2022, 05:12:30 pm »
We've just had a stout casually wandering around the garden despite the dogs going absolutely crazy barking at it, watching from indoors 😁

Was it a Guinness?

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #223 on: April 2, 2022, 05:57:09 pm »
Was it a Guinness?

Maybe just a really firm ermine...

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: April 2, 2022, 05:58:20 pm »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #225 on: April 2, 2022, 06:21:18 pm »
Was it a Guinness?
Could have been a Russian Imperial Stout running away from the war...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: April 12, 2022, 04:20:50 pm »
The stoats have been regular visitors in the garden recently but it's mainly a female we're seeing now.

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #227 on: April 12, 2022, 04:43:17 pm »
The stoats have been regular visitors in the garden recently but it's mainly a female we're seeing now.

A male stoat is called a dog, hob, or jack, while a female is called a jill. The collective noun for stoats is either gang or pack.

Knowledge... :D

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: April 12, 2022, 04:43:54 pm »
A male stoat is called a dog, hob, or jack, while a female is called a jill. The collective noun for stoats is either gang or pack.

Knowledge... :D

👏👏👏

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: April 29, 2022, 06:13:07 pm »
Walked past Harvard soccer field today and there was a Coyote sleeping in the sun.Glad he looked up cos my first thought was it's dead.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: April 29, 2022, 10:36:17 pm »
Walked past Harvard soccer field today and there was a Coyote sleeping in the sun.Glad he looked up cos my first thought was it's dead.
Stay away from coyotes during the day! They are supposed to come out at dusk and go away after dawn and pose no threat to humans (except for babies and toddlers). But one major reason why they may be out in a daylight is rabies - gets their brain confused. 

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: April 30, 2022, 04:18:42 pm »
Stay away from coyotes during the day! They are supposed to come out at dusk and go away after dawn and pose no threat to humans (except for babies and toddlers). But one major reason why they may be out in a daylight is rabies - gets their brain confused.

There was a fence and he was roughly on the half way line.But they do come out during the day without being sick i also saw one last winter not far from here so there could be a den somewhere on the vast expanse of Harvard land waiting to be built on.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: April 30, 2022, 05:03:13 pm »

There was a fence and he was roughly on the half way line.But they do come out during the day without being sick i also saw one last winter not far from here so there could be a den somewhere on the vast expanse of Harvard land waiting to be built on.
I have them in my backyard, they come quite often. They do come during the day but stay hidden. One was camping in a pampas grass bush and I was picking tangerines like 3-4 yards from where he was and I had no clue he was there.  ;D

The reason I mentioned rabies is a few months ago there was a coyote that walked into a convenience store in broad daylight. Had rabies. Then they said one should be cautious about coyotes during the day.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 05:06:23 pm by farawayred »

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: May 4, 2022, 03:14:29 pm »
Our little resident squirrel is getting more and more comfortable at the patio bit by our back door - she's lording it today, checking all the little perches and vantage points. The ideal distraction when you're in a project plan review meeting.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #234 on: May 4, 2022, 03:16:11 pm »
Our little resident squirrel is getting more and more comfortable at the patio bit by our back door - she's lording it today, checking all the little perches and vantage points. The ideal distraction when you're in a project plan review meeting.

Just make sure they can't get on the roof, i've had to spend around $1000-$1500 to trap and remove squirrels that got into the roof.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: May 4, 2022, 04:09:35 pm »
Just make sure they can't get on the roof, i've had to spend around $1000-$1500 to trap and remove squirrels that got into the roof.
I had to fend off a momma skunk for months, she was trying to make a den in the crawl space under my house. :)

A few months later I saw her passing through the yard on a garden ledge and there were three little baby skunks. The curtest things!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #236 on: May 4, 2022, 04:13:38 pm »
I had to fend off a momma skunk for months, she was trying to make a den in the crawl space under my house. :)

A few months later I saw her passing through the yard on a garden ledge and there were three little baby skunks. The curtest things!

Unfortunately with my situation we could hear them day and night running in the gutters, not fun for all involved, but they tend to chew a lot :)

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: May 4, 2022, 04:15:56 pm »

Ours comes and looks into the patio doors as if you say "where's the food dickhead?". Our kid had one he nicknamed broken tail that used to come in through the back door and wait to be given a chocolate biscuit.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: May 4, 2022, 04:40:27 pm »
I have them in my backyard, they come quite often. They do come during the day but stay hidden. One was camping in a pampas grass bush and I was picking tangerines like 3-4 yards from where he was and I had no clue he was there.  ;D

The reason I mentioned rabies is a few months ago there was a coyote that walked into a convenience store in broad daylight. Had rabies. Then they said one should be cautious about coyotes during the day.

I saw this on the news this morning!Puppy!!!!!!
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2022/05/03/coyote-pup-lost-puppy-cape-wildlife-center/

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: June 28, 2022, 07:39:12 pm »
We have a hedgehog visiting the garden regularly for a feast.  We first spotted it on the camera we'd set up last week in a quiet corner of the garden. 

We filmed 3 visits in one night but yesterday and tonight it's been out in the open having a good old sniff around.

No wonder I have minimal slug and snail damage to my plants where everyone else is complaining of total and utter destruction 😁

Yay there's two of them 👏👏👏
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 08:18:29 pm by reddebs »