Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 278966 times)

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bird watch.
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2011, 08:02:43 pm »
springwatch on now

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2011, 08:13:03 pm »
Puffins on the Firth Of Forth yesterday.

Offline phil_1010

• Anny Roader
  • The Reds Are Coming Up The Hill Boys...
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2011, 08:20:32 pm »
Couple of buzzards getting mobbed by a few crows in Hightown today.

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2011, 08:47:52 pm »
I am quite jammy, not as jammy as the gulleysucker but still pretty jammy.

I routinely get to see Red Kites, Buzzards, kestrels, herons, long-tailed tits in the hedges opposite my house, little owls on the roof, the occasional sparrowhawk which like to eat the goldfinches, blue tits & great tits that we feed in the garden. I've also seen Barn Owls in the field beyond the hedges & routinely hear Tawny's too. Chuck in the pair of peregrines that nest on top of the council offices in town & all told it's not too bad for birds down here...

I haven't seen any swallows or swifts yet (I've been in bed ill all bloody weekend) but I did hear a cuckoo on Wendesday evening.

I think the only stuff I miss out on that I liked to watch as a kid are the ducks, geese & swans that I used to watch at Martin Mere.

For my sins I too was in the Y.O.C. as a kid, I remember getting a blue plastic egg shaped money box when I joined :)
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2011, 08:53:20 pm »
Oh, and Bill's just reminded me, woodpeckers, green ones and greater spotted ones. I can hear them drilling first thing in the morning.

Also, coots & moorhens in the ponds in the same fields beyond those hedges I mentioned above...
@ManifoldReasons

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2011, 10:04:47 pm »
I haven't seen any coal tits in the garden this year, loads of finches and long tail tits but no coal tits (yet)

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2011, 10:08:13 pm »
The Blue tits have gone on the missing list. They were nesting in the corner of me shed under the tiles for a few years now but i havent seen them in over a month

Offline phil_1010

• Anny Roader
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2011, 10:11:47 pm »
The Blue tits have gone on the missing list. They were nesting in the corner of me shed under the tiles for a few years now but i havent seen them in over a month

We've got a couple nesting in our garden at the moment in the bird box.

royhendo

« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2011, 10:13:32 pm »
Yellowhammer and woodpecker in my old dear's garden at lunch time. Amazing stuff - she was delighted.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2011, 10:14:58 pm »
Nice one. Im sure they'll come back sometime. One of me elderly customers has a nestbox out his back that always had the bluetits visit, for years. Then last year there was none, and now theyre back again

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2011, 11:08:41 am »
Some people may have seen this sort of behaviour before but....here's two of our local wood pigeons getting all filthy...
It was taken early last May out of our kitchen window.
What's interesting, and I've never noticed it before, is that the male seems to get some substance from under his wing, perhaps something from a gland of some description, and then feeds it to the female before mating. I have a longer video of this rather odd prelude activity, there's only a short bit on this video. It conjures up an image of sticking your fingers in your sweaty armpits and then sticking them in a girls mouth as you attempt to cop off with her. It seems to work for wood pigeons...
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Enemy

• Fairly low-maintenance pritsatoixouphobic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2011, 11:10:38 am »
I used to love bird watching with my grandad, we used to go to country parks and such quite often at the weekends and go on owl trails at night. He'd been round the globe bird watching, Portugal, Argentina, you name it. I'd love to go bird watching again but I just don't have the memory like my gramps did for what is what. Everytime I'm in the country and hear birds I always think I wish he was there to tell me which bird it was though.

Remember when I was about 10 or so we went to a park and I was so proud at having spotted a lesser spotted woodpecker, I could barely contain myself and be quiet.
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2011, 11:11:48 am »
sticking your fingers in your sweaty armpits and then sticking them in a girls mouth as you attempt to cop off with her.

This definitely works.

On thread..saw a sparrowhawk in the woods next to my house the other day, and it was eating a collared dove alive. Pretty brutal, the dove managed to escape a few times but the sparrowhawk would just rip back up and grab it again. Didn't realise they took such big prey, but is apparently quite common.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2011, 11:31:52 am »
Was just Googling Magpie numbers in the British Isles as I was convinced they'd shot up over the last while (which they haven't)... Anyway, check out today's Google home page. ;D

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2011, 10:16:58 pm »
As have I.  My Brother and Sister in law bought me a birdbox with a camera in it for my birthday.  I put it up about 5 weeks ago and noticed a bit of interest from birds last week, so I connected the cable and ran it to the telly.  Feathers in the box, some of my wife's hair (we think) and paper shreddings from the compost heap.  A couple of days later saw her going in again and quickly connected up the cables.  There she was wandering around getting comfy before sitting at the bottom of the box.  She was shaking a bit and seemed to be straining (as much as you can tell from something covered in feathers).  Then she got up and left leaving two eggs behind (that's how I know it was Mrs Bluetit not Mr Bluetit).  Anyroadup there are 9 eggs now and she spends most of the day sitting on them (we look about 4 times a day) but leaves now and again probably to eat and dump.  Best present I ever received.  Christ knows how 9 birds (+ mum) are going to fit in the box but I expect they lay so many 'cause some don't hatch, and not all hatchers survive.  I don't know how long they incubate for but I'm looking forward to hatching, hope they have the courtesy not to do so while I'm at work.
TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2011, 10:23:29 pm »
You lucky bastard, you lucky lucky bastard

Offline TheMissionary

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2011, 10:41:10 pm »
You lucky bastard, you lucky lucky bastard

Thank you for your good wishes, most welcome.  :D  I'll let you know how things go.  If I could find a way of recording the goings on I'd post it.  I can view it, and hence record it, through the vcr but I can't connect that to the computer.  I'll see if I can connect to my wife's digital camera.

TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2011, 10:45:19 pm »
Thank you for your good wishes, most welcome.  :D  I'll let you know how things go.  If I could find a way of recording the goings on I'd post it.  I can view it, and hence record it, through the vcr but I can't connect that to the computer.  I'll see if I can connect to my wife's digital camera.

That would be great mate. Take a trip into the tech area of the flagpole corner. One of the lads might have an idea on how to set something up

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2011, 10:47:41 pm »
Male and female bullfinches on the feeder this evening..first time I've seen them, we usually get goldfinches & greenfinches really. Oh and the resident bluetit has taken to staring out his reflection in our window. Either that or he's trying to watch TV.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2011, 10:50:07 pm »
I used to have a two-way mirror birdfeeder that attached to the outside of the kitchen window. Best fucking thing I ever had. Used to be able to watch all kinds of garden birds feeding from literally an inch and a half away. Smashed it with a wayward football however. :(

That birdbox camera thingy sounds absolutely fantastic though! :o

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2011, 10:52:02 pm »
Male and female bullfinches on the feeder this evening..first time I've seen them, we usually get goldfinches & greenfinches really. Oh and the resident bluetit has taken to staring out his reflection in our window. Either that or he's trying to watch TV.
Blue tits are quirky. Remember i had the small window in me bedroom open one day and one was picking at the inside insulation which had very fine small hairs on it, for its nest. It was practically in me room while i was sitting there with the tv blaring. Mad

Offline TheMissionary

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: May 8, 2011, 09:40:11 pm »
I had a look inside the bird box on Friday evening and Mrs BlueTit was still sitting on the eggs (9 in all).  We had to go to the Mother-in-laws in Dorset on Saturday morning and when we got back at 16 o'clock today I connected up the cable to find that they'd hatched and Mam and Dad were working bloody hard to feed what looks like 8 hungry gobs.  They're a day old at the most, very demanding, and bloody ugly buggers.  I've made a short video of the goings on but it's too big to attach, if you want to see drop me an e-mail, I'm sure it'll attach to a reply.
TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline lordcisse

• Kopite
« Reply #102 on: May 8, 2011, 10:17:41 pm »
weve got one of them birdbox camera things, had a blue tit in it for a while, then she had about 8 or 9 eggs n they've hatched.

Ive been takin pics as it went along, http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1971884655218.2116718.1186062337&l=43b234f954, hopefully anyone can see that album so i dont have to upload em all again :) took some vids of em gettin fed too

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: May 9, 2011, 12:26:06 am »
I had a look inside the bird box on Friday evening and Mrs BlueTit was still sitting on the eggs (9 in all). 
Nine must be some sort of fucking record mate. Nine! I'm wondering how a tiny bird can keep moving its arse over them sufficiently to incubate those little beats.

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #104 on: May 9, 2011, 01:01:03 pm »
Bought a cheap bird feeding station between us at work to stick outside the office. We have mirrored windows so we've put it up very close and the birds can't see in. It took months to get any interest but now we get mainly tits and starlings but changed one of the feeders to niger seed and had our first pair of goldfinches today.

Certainly takes your mind off the shite that is work.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline doc_antonio

• Legacy Fan
  • Always look on the bright side of life
« Reply #105 on: May 9, 2011, 01:13:47 pm »
about a month ago i went up to ballycastle(n.ireland) and while sitting out the back having a smoke i saw which i assume was a falcon out hunting, i turned to say to the girlfriend and when i looked back it had already dived for the fiel mouse... safe to say i was gutted! although later that day i saw it in full action when it just picked a bird out of the air right infront of me was quite impressive.

i saw a parrot once...
"When I’ve got nothing better to do, I look down the league table to see how Everton are getting along." - Bill Shankly

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2011, 11:50:30 am »
Someone had thrown a load of bacon & sausage butties on the bank next to the lake in Caldies park the other night which attracted the Heron. It was amazing to see it cautiously coming close to the railings to get them. It wasn't interested in the bread, just the meat.

Offline phil_1010

• Anny Roader
« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2011, 11:55:15 am »
A Magpie managed to get into the blue tit nest in my garden last week. Quite an old bird box and it's just managed to rip the roof off, not too sure how many chicks were in it but there's nothing left now. Gutted.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2011, 11:56:45 am »
Spotted some gannets just off Maenporth (south coast of Cornwall) which took me by surprise. There was a lot of activity so I'm assuming there was plenty of fish. Still waiting to see my first long-tailed tits (gather they've been affected by the cold winters) and black caps of the year.

Offline Mal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2011, 04:06:33 pm »
Had 2x Great tit parents & 4x great tit chicks fluff balls in the garden this morning on our feeders.

Pretty cute... kids loved watching them, they were there ages.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: May 27, 2011, 04:12:13 pm »
Spotted some gannets just off Maenporth (south coast of Cornwall) which took me by surprise. There was a lot of activity so I'm assuming there was plenty of fish. Still waiting to see my first long-tailed tits (gather they've been affected by the cold winters) and black caps of the year.

you live near there ? one of my favorite Cornish beaches, i live about 5 miles from there
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #111 on: May 27, 2011, 04:13:34 pm »
I have a blackbirds nest about 4 yards from the kitchen window. Not the rarest of birds but it's nice to have mother nature so close.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2011, 12:56:31 pm »
you live near there ? one of my favorite Cornish beaches, i live about 5 miles from there
:wave Aye, I live in Falmouth. Love Maenporth and the coastal path around it, I usually go there in the evenings when it's quieter, just to relax. You been down here long?

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2011, 08:52:02 pm »
I had a look inside the bird box on Friday evening and Mrs BlueTit was still sitting on the eggs (9 in all).  We had to go to the Mother-in-laws in Dorset on Saturday morning and when we got back at 16 o'clock today I connected up the cable to find that they'd hatched and Mam and Dad were working bloody hard to feed what looks like 8 hungry gobs.  They're a day old at the most, very demanding, and bloody ugly buggers.  I've made a short video of the goings on but it's too big to attach, if you want to see drop me an e-mail, I'm sure it'll attach to a reply.
weve got one of them birdbox camera things, had a blue tit in it for a while, then she had about 8 or 9 eggs n they've hatched.

Ive been takin pics as it went along, http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1971884655218.2116718.1186062337&l=43b234f954, hopefully anyone can see that album so i dont have to upload em all again :) took some vids of em gettin fed too
Youse should send your stuff to Springwatch on BBC

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2011, 03:22:42 pm »
Just been for a run round Caldies Park and I kid you not, I was attacked by two big fuck off crows, the fuckers chased me for about 50 yards along Menlove Avenue swooping down and squawking at me. They must have only missed my head by inches, their beaks where like fucking vices. They flew from tree to tree along side me leaning over me screeching.
I running like a mad twat waving my arms in the air - I've never ever experienced anything like it. I don't know if I went past a nest (although I go there every day) or what.

Was tempted to get in my car and go back with a stick. Angry vicious fuckers.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2011, 03:38:17 pm »
Just been for a run round Caldies Park and I kid you not, I was attacked by two big fuck off crows, the fuckers chased me for about 50 yards along Menlove Avenue swooping down and squawking at me. They must have only missed my head by inches, their beaks where like fucking vices. They flew from tree to tree along side me leaning over me screeching.
I running like a mad twat waving my arms in the air - I've never ever experienced anything like it. I don't know if I went past a nest (although I go there every day) or what.

That reminds me of the problem we have with Herring gulls down here in Cornwall. It can be quite entertaining seeing the unwary tourists losing their pasties, fish and chips or ice creams to the monsters. I had one try to nick my sunglasses once, and one that stole a sandwich from one of the four bags I was carrying - how it knew that the sandwich was there is beyond me.

Offline pewithree3

• Has a grumpy old female arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2011, 04:18:20 pm »
We have two flat roofed sheds in our back garden and I buy nearly
out of date currant buns and hot cross buns, smear some marg and
jam on them and throw out onto the roofs.
The birds love them, we get all kinds, from some lovely small birds
to wood pigeons, magpies and seagulls.
Great to watch them as I`m look out from our back window.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2011, 05:32:01 pm »
That reminds me of the problem we have with Herring gulls down here in Cornwall. It can be quite entertaining seeing the unwary tourists losing their pasties, fish and chips or ice creams to the monsters. I had one try to nick my sunglasses once, and one that stole a sandwich from one of the four bags I was carrying - how it knew that the sandwich was there is beyond me.
It was an experience mate, I'm going out now so I intend to drive round to see if the fuckers have killed anyone.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2011, 05:34:45 pm »

You sound just like Mr Bean. ;D
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2011, 05:38:19 pm »
 ;D  No one saw it either, anyone would have pissed themselves laughing mate, good job there was no cars on Menlove Ave at the time, I was forced to run in to the fucking road.