Author Topic: 2019 in Music  (Read 40820 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: 2019 in Music
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2019, 01:37:59 am »
Picked it up from Probe this afternoon, along with The Twilight Sad's It Won/t Be Like This All The Time - ended up in the pub after work but I'm looking forward to giving both of these some headphones time over the weekend.

The Twilight Sad have never really previously been on my radar (literally until this morning) - saw a recommendation I was happy to place my faith in and, based on this record's three singles that I've just listened to via YouTube, I'm very pleased with the purchase.

I love this band. I saw them play Kazimier in Liverpool a few years ago. I stumbled across the single 'There's a girl in the corner' and loved it. I then listened to a few of their older songs and loved them too. I was straight out then, to buy all their albums. I was a bit pissed off today, though. I went to HMV to pick up the new album but they had none. By this time it was too late to get up to Probe to see if they had it. Anyway, if you like the new album, I'd say the back catalogue is well worth investing in.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2019, 11:31:42 am »
I love this band. I saw them play Kazimier in Liverpool a few years ago. I stumbled across the single 'There's a girl in the corner' and loved it. I then listened to a few of their older songs and loved them too. I was straight out then, to buy all their albums. I was a bit pissed off today, though. I went to HMV to pick up the new album but they had none. By this time it was too late to get up to Probe to see if they had it. Anyway, if you like the new album, I'd say the back catalogue is well worth investing in.

Yeah, HMV had no new releases in there yesterday. Thinking it might have something to do with the administration?

Enjoy the Twilights' back catalogue, Jack. Particularly their first two albums. Haven't given the new one a spin yet.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2019, 05:48:36 pm »
Yeah, HMV had no new releases in there yesterday. Thinking it might have something to do with the administration?

Enjoy the Twilights' back catalogue, Jack. Particularly their first two albums. Haven't given the new one a spin yet.

Ah, I didn't know about the administration.  :(

Looks like a trip to Probe next week then.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2019, 06:07:37 pm »
That is right man.

Willy Vlautin was the driving force behind them and writes a lot of the songs for The Delines.

Amy Boone is the lead singer and has a beautiful voice - she was involved in a car crash in 2016 that delayed the writing / recording of this.
Cheer man, sounds good, I'll have to check it out. Quite liked the Richmond Fontaine I've heard tracks that had female singers on, and Vlautin's a class lyricist.

On a completely different tack, Malibu Ken's a pretty cool album. Aesop Rock and his typically mental idiosyncratic rapping over weird, synthy beats from some producer called Tobacco.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2019, 10:00:47 am »
On a completely different tack, Malibu Ken's a pretty cool album. Aesop Rock and his typically mental idiosyncratic rapping over weird, synthy beats from some producer called Tobacco.

Got a mate who is massively into Tobacco (the producer and the thing ;D!)

Tobacco also a member of Black Moth Super Rainbow if you've heard them?
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2019, 10:38:53 am »
Cheer man, sounds good, I'll have to check it out. Quite liked the Richmond Fontaine I've heard tracks that had female singers on, and Vlautin's a class lyricist.

Check out Vlautin's novels, too. His latest, Don't Skip Out On Me is beautiful. A writer who simply doesn't waste words.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2019, 12:30:20 pm »
Got a mate who is massively into Tobacco (the producer and the thing ;D!)

Tobacco also a member of Black Moth Super Rainbow if you've heard them?
Don't think I have to be honest, although the name rings a vague bell. Any good? I quite like the music in Malibu Ken so may have a wee investigate.
Check out Vlautin's novels, too. His latest, Don't Skip Out On Me is beautiful. A writer who simply doesn't waste words.
Ooh, didn't know he was an author too. That's intriguing, I may have to get something by him then. Reminds me that I need to read Wolf in White Van too.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2019, 12:57:50 pm »
2019 is looking great for me ;D

Sleater-Kinney have been in the studio with St. Vincent - can only hope this is a follow-up to their fantastic 2014 comeback, No Cities to Love.
The facial expressions and body language in that pic make them look like Van Halen, just before Dave was kicked out.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2019, 10:27:40 pm »
New Dead C album just out. Don't sound happy either. Their 20th or something.

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2019, 01:26:44 am »
Matt Corby released his second album Rainbow Valley late last year and it seems to have flown under the radar. It's a beautifully crafted album and I recommend it just to hear his voice. Once a runner-up on Australian Idol, Matt is now one of the best songwriters in the land.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2019, 11:58:03 am »

What a fantastic record - really enjoying it.  Looking forward to exploring more over the coming weeks & months.  Hoping also to pick up a ticket for their Manchester show next month - they're playing Gorilla, and I've enjoyed my handful of visits there in the past.

Spoiler
Ryan Adams looking set for a triple-release 2019 (he released a trio of double-album Cold Roses, Jacksonville City Nights, and 29 back in 2005), with Big Colours and Wednesdays apparently revealed during the last 24 hours.  One to follow!

A couple of tracks from Big Colours - Doylestown Girl and Manchester - did get radio debuts during the last week, but seem to have been pulled from YouTube and Soundcloud for now.
[close]

Adam's first single proper from Big Colours was revealed a couple of days ago:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/X3_lYd9MrjY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/X3_lYd9MrjY</a>

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2019, 12:24:08 pm »
Got tickets for BC Camplight in Copenhagen next Sunday. Saw that he's been mentally down in the dumps just recently, hope he'll recover well (and that he can make the Scandinavian dates).

New Deerhunter is just ridiculous. Fading Frontier was good but I think this is levels above.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Need to check out this band. They've been mentioned over the years.

Sent from jooneyisdagod's SM-G950F that I hacked into using Tapatalk
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2019, 01:11:06 pm »
Sent from jooneyisdagod's SM-G950F that I hacked into using Tapatalk

:) :D ;D

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2019, 02:29:11 pm »
Just on my forth listen to the new Twilight Sad album called It won't be like this all the time. Fantastic listen and a good start to 2019.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2019, 03:31:28 pm »
Blue Whale album is great. Rumah Sakit/Giddy Motors/Don Cab style jazz influenced post everything stuff from Belfast.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2019, 07:23:51 pm »
Just on my forth listen to the new Twilight Sad album called It won't be like this all the time. Fantastic listen and a good start to 2019.
I still can't get hold of the damn album. HMV said today that they won't get it in until their administration problem is sorted. Probe are sold out.  :butt

*Signs in to Amazon account*

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2019, 08:15:44 pm »
I still can't get hold of the damn album. HMV said today that they won't get it in until their administration problem is sorted. Probe are sold out.  :butt

*Signs in to Amazon account*
I see there's a blue vinyl version, but sadly sold out everywhere. [emoji53]

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2019, 01:12:56 am »
I see there's a blue vinyl version, but sadly sold out everywhere. [emoji53]

I saw that on their Facebook in December. Not surprised it's sold out. The band have sort of become hot property since they toured with The Cure. They deserve it too.

I saw them at Kazimier in town in 2015 and thought they were great.

I was watching them play The arbor on Youtube tonight and I loved that. The bass is great on it. I can't wait to get the album.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2019, 10:25:30 pm »
New video from 5eb x One Acen edited by an up and coming young scouser . One for the youth.
https://youtu.be/rDMG-4vYeaY

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2019, 10:26:20 pm »
New steve gunn and sharon von etten are fantastic.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2019, 10:43:34 pm »
So after a few weeks of teasing - involving telephone numbers, cryptic videos & voicemail messages, and cult-ish mailshots, Better Oblivion Community Center has been revealed (the tease was an elaborate bit of fun really; the secret was never firmly held!) as the collaborative project between Conor Oberst and Phoebe Bridgers.

The identities behind the band were revealed via a live performance of their song 'Dylan Thomas' on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert last week, and the debut LP announced as being released immediately on digital format - the eponymous record is released physically on 22nd February.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7DSO-w_AxgQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7DSO-w_AxgQ</a>

Offline Scottish-Don

• Maggie May, Kez, Kopbird, LFCMunkee and gerrardspetal in any order
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2019, 11:51:40 am »
The Twilight Sad album is superb, going to take some beating this Year
Follow me on Twitter - @achtung_davie

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2019, 05:54:37 pm »
Might have to make my debut at Green Man this year. Lineup is tremendous!

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2019, 07:58:46 pm »
As a stubborn no cd buyer, I am delighted that Paddy McAloon's I trawl the megahertz is coming out tomorrow on vinyl. The title track is 22+ mins, and it went too quickly. Can't wait to get my hands on this.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2019, 11:42:41 pm »
Read today that the great Guided By Voices will be releasing 3 albums this year, beginning with Zeppelin Over China, a double LP coming out tomorrow or Saturday. That's over 100 albums by Robert Pollard, with GBV and solo stuff. Ridiculous output. Looks like the hard core following have snapped up all the tickets for their two dates in London in May sadly. Wankers.

One of the truly great songwriters surely. They're a bit more 'polished' these days I think, but this should be good.

Groovy as fuck track from 'Crown Prince of the Menthol Trailer' EP 1994:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VgF2i8ytKp4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VgF2i8ytKp4</a>

Same EP. Magic.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/auut6TSKYWA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/auut6TSKYWA</a>

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2019, 11:46:44 pm »
Good evening, we are Guided By Voices:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PVvBx6LeJNA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PVvBx6LeJNA</a>

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #67 on: February 1, 2019, 10:51:19 am »
So after a few weeks of teasing - involving telephone numbers, cryptic videos & voicemail messages, and cult-ish mailshots, Better Oblivion Community Center has been revealed (the tease was an elaborate bit of fun really; the secret was never firmly held!) as the collaborative project between Conor Oberst and Phoebe Bridgers.

The identities behind the band were revealed via a live performance of their song 'Dylan Thomas' on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert last week, and the debut LP announced as being released immediately on digital format - the eponymous record is released physically on 22nd February.

Their tour was announced the other day - the only UK dates being in London and Manchester.  The Manchester one is at the Ritz on the evening of the final day of the Premier League season (assuming final day matches are moved to the Sunday, as usual).

So I've booked a ticket but I'm hoping not to go...  :duh

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: February 1, 2019, 04:05:21 pm »
Busy year so far.

On my to listen list this weekend:

Rustin Man - Drift Code
Deer Tick - Mayonnaise
Girlpool - What Chaos Is Imaginary
White Fence - I Have To Feed Larry's Hawk

and a couple from last year I missed:
Luluc - Sculptor
Pete Wylie - Pete Sounds

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: February 2, 2019, 07:32:09 pm »
As a stubborn no cd buyer, I am delighted that Paddy McAloon's I trawl the megahertz is coming out tomorrow on vinyl. The title track is 22+ mins, and it went too quickly. Can't wait to get my hands on this.
Never heard that before mate, what a lovely little listen. Thank you :)

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #70 on: February 2, 2019, 08:56:16 pm »
Am I allowed to ask for recommendations in here?

I'm on the lookout for some good naughties style guitar and drums bands, where you can actually hear what the singer is bloody saying. I've still got bands like Maximo Park, Razorlight, The Rakes, The Cribs, Milburn and stuff like that in my playlist and nothing since I probably finished high school.

Quite like Courtney Baratt's music but other than that everywhere I look is very trippy nowadays, mate recommended Wolf Alice but it's just noise to me.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: February 2, 2019, 10:00:05 pm »

I'm on the lookout for some good naughties style guitar and drums bands, where you can actually hear what the singer is bloody saying. I've still got bands like Maximo Park, Razorlight, The Rakes, The Cribs, Milburn and stuff like that in my playlist and nothing since I probably finished high school.

Quite like Courtney Baratt's music but other than that everywhere I look is very trippy nowadays, mate recommended Wolf Alice but it's just noise to me.
Afraid I've got no particular recommendations mate, as I don't really know much stuff that sounds like those noughties bands you mentioned, but the RAWK album of the year threads are always good for discovering music. I've found loads of stuff I enjoy from the great musical minds on here and the AOTY threads past few years. Sons of Kemet won the most recent one, and they may not be what you're looking for (they're about as far removed from Razorlight et al as I can imagine), but they're well worth a listen. Cracking album.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=341454.0

Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable lads/lasses round here can help you in a more focused manner.

On reflection, I was just having a look back at that thread and some of those in the top ten might sound a wee bit like noughties guitar stuff (that decade sort of passed me by, guitar music-wise). Maybe Rolling Blackouts CF, Parquet Courts, Idles, Teleman? I may be way off base here though, and apologies if so.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2019, 10:05:20 pm by Djozer »

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: February 2, 2019, 10:25:35 pm »
The Datarock comeback album last year was really disappointing but this is one of the best things they've ever done. Great record cover too. Really hoping they're on the gig/festival circuit this year:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IY_GHfrRreI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IY_GHfrRreI</a>

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: February 2, 2019, 10:39:03 pm »

I don't know if any of these are 'noughties style' bands (I didn't really like anyone in that list except The Cribs) but they might fit the bill of what you're looking for: Japandroids, Ezra Furman, Alvvays, Parquet Courts, Bodega, Carseat Headrest, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Honeyblood, Amber Arcades, Sunflower Bean, Soccer Mommy, Twin Peaks, Hockey Dad, Orielles, Beach Slang (aka Japandroids minus).

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #74 on: February 3, 2019, 10:20:03 am »
Alonso the Assassin (aka Mr Simon) visited on Thursday. We saw Low in Brighton on Thursday and Tim Burgess in Worthing on Friday.

Words cannot do the Low gig justice. A perfect setting, a snowy night and just a tremendous setlist. It blew me away in all honesty. Burgess was good fun as always and capped a nice two days.

My essential 2019 listening so far is: Steve Gunn, The Delines, SVE and Deerhunter. I like the Better Oblivion Community Centre album but need to spend more time with it.

I am also really into Wooden Shjips last record and digging into their back catalogue now.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #75 on: February 3, 2019, 11:06:53 am »
Read today that the great Guided By Voices will be releasing 3 albums this year, beginning with Zeppelin Over China, a double LP coming out tomorrow or Saturday. That's over 100 albums by Robert Pollard, with GBV and solo stuff. Ridiculous output. Looks like the hard core following have snapped up all the tickets for their two dates in London in May sadly. Wankers.

One of the truly great songwriters surely. They're a bit more 'polished' these days I think, but this should be good.

Groovy as fuck track from 'Crown Prince of the Menthol Trailer' EP 1994:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/VgF2i8ytKp4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/VgF2i8ytKp4</a>

Same EP. Magic.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/auut6TSKYWA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/auut6TSKYWA</a>

So listened to the first GBV yesterday and, I have to say, it sounds fucking strong on first listen. 32 tracks and it doesn't bend at all. Impressed.

Alonso the Assassin (aka Mr Simon) visited on Thursday. We saw Low in Brighton on Thursday and Tim Burgess in Worthing on Friday.

Words cannot do the Low gig justice. A perfect setting, a snowy night and just a tremendous setlist. It blew me away in all honesty. Burgess was good fun as always and capped a nice two days.

My essential 2019 listening so far is: Steve Gunn, The Delines, SVE and Deerhunter. I like the Better Oblivion Community Centre album but need to spend more time with it.

I am also really into Wooden Shjips last record and digging into their back catalogue now.

Lovely couple of days, mate. Echo the sentiments on the new stuff and, in particular, The Delines. Beautiful album that.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #76 on: February 4, 2019, 11:13:44 am »
Saw BC Camplight in Copenhagen last night. Not more than 40 people in the crowd but my god what a performance. Totally knocked me over. Favorite songs from the show:

Deportation Blues
I'm In a Weird Place Now
Grim Cinema (holy f***!)
Thieves in Antigua
Fire In England
I'm Desperate (infernal performance, incredible energy)
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline jackh

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #77 on: February 4, 2019, 12:03:53 pm »
Heard I'm in a Weird Place Now on the radio a few weeks ago and it really caught my attention.  Glad I've seen BC Camplight pop up again here - have just enjoyed listening to I'm Desperate and I'm looking forward to exploring a bit more.

Saw BC Camplight in Copenhagen last night. Not more than 40 people in the crowd but my god what a performance. Totally knocked me over. Favorite songs from the show:

Deportation Blues
I'm In a Weird Place Now
Grim Cinema (holy f***!)
Thieves in Antigua
Fire In England

I picked up this album, as well as Hope Downs by Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, from town on Saturday afternoon - both mostly of the back of posts in the 2018 thread...looking forward to getting stuck in this week.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #78 on: February 4, 2019, 02:43:58 pm »

Deportation Blues
I'm In a Weird Place Now
Grim Cinema (holy f***!)
Thieves in Antigua
Fire In England

Great performer isn't he? Saw him with Phosphorescent last year and he really did steal the show.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: February 5, 2019, 01:03:56 pm »
What do people in here think of James Blake? He’s released four albums each receiving critical acclaim and I’ve listened to a few of them out of curiosity but he just doesn’t do it for me.

He seems to be a darling to all the US rappers and R&B singers.