Author Topic: Anyone here play the Guitar?  (Read 118590 times)

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
  • I'd walk a million miles...
Re: Anyone here play the Guitar?
« Reply #200 on: January 26, 2009, 08:27:57 pm »
Moore, Clapton and Led Zepp  8), setting yourself some serious goals there mate! good luck with it! you can't beat that feeling of satisfaction and sense of achievement when a riff of one of your idols comes from your own fingers!

You sound much more advanced than me to be honest mate, then again I'm lucky if I can get an hours practice each day, I try to make up for it at weekends though.

How are you doing on the theory side of it? most of it goes right over my head to be honest  ??? although i do seem to be picking it up slowly as I go along, I know about root notes and why chords are named after them and am just starting to understand which scales you can use with certain chord families, and can just about name all the notes on the low E string that's about it really, I bought 'Fretboard Navigator' from Lick Library a while back so should really start getting stuck into that as I believe the more theory you know the quicker you learn to make your own music up!

Cheers for the offer about the drum tracks, but I got one of those on my effects box and works a treat! thanks anyway.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:32:36 pm by LymmRed »

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: January 26, 2009, 09:15:02 pm »
Moore, Clapton and Led Zepp  8), setting yourself some serious goals there mate! good luck with it! you can't beat that feeling of satisfaction and sense of achievement when a riff of one of your idols comes from your own fingers!

You sound much more advanced than me to be honest mate, then again I'm lucky if I can get an hours practice each day, I try to make up for it at weekends though.

How are you doing on the theory side of it? most of it goes right over my head to be honest  ??? although i do seem to be picking it up slowly as I go along, I know about root notes and why chords are named after them and am just starting to understand which scales you can use with certain chord families, and can just about name all the notes on the low E string that's about it really, I bought 'Fretboard Navigator' from Lick Library a while back so should really start getting stuck into that as I believe the more theory you know the quicker you learn to make your own music up!

Cheers for the offer about the drum tracks, but I got one of those on my effects box and works a treat! thanks anyway.

It's where I'd like to get to, not what I can do right now....my bends aren't good enough, or fast enough yet!  But you've got to have goals that "stretch" you, don't you?

I'm pretty decent on the theory, keys, how scales and chords form off of that etc, circle of 5ths & 4ths, and know the fretboard notes pretty well, although it's not always instantaneous.  I'm trying to learn my scales from the high e string back (in reverse in other words) and down the fretboard in two string pairs, which once nailed, should give me pretty good mastery of the fretboard.

My knowledge is pretty decent, but my technique and speed to utilize the knowledge has lots of room for improvement.

The Lick Library stuff is pretty good, I've managed to download a bunch of them, and am slowly working my way through them.  Great resource to have!

Do you use rapidshare?  If so, I'll pm you some links.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: January 26, 2009, 09:20:01 pm »

Offline LymmRed

• Kopite
  • I'd walk a million miles...
« Reply #203 on: January 26, 2009, 10:24:15 pm »

Do you use rapidshare?  If so, I'll pm you some links.

I do now!

Muse, live, Wembley, Knights of CYdonia, Plug in Baby, Learn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8WP7aOD_9Q&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99I7gpswhQ4&feature=channel

Just when you think you're getting good, someone brings you back down to Earth!

By the way, have you read 'Zen Guitar'? It's not so much a book on how to play chords and scales, it's more of a spiritual approach to playing it, a kind of mental attidude approach!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:30:52 pm by LymmRed »

Offline donut

• and wants to stay one... unfunny twat...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: January 26, 2009, 10:25:23 pm »
I play bass because all those strings on a guitar confuse me.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #205 on: January 27, 2009, 12:50:12 am »
I play bass because all those strings on a guitar confuse me.

The bass player in our band uses the same excuses, mind you he's a lazy fucker too :)

Offline Madigano

• Kopite
« Reply #206 on: June 12, 2009, 08:30:12 pm »
Fingers are fucked :'(

Offline irishred1991

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96, YNWA
« Reply #207 on: June 13, 2009, 11:25:34 am »
Liverpool is our religion,
Anfield is our church,
The Kop is our choir,
Fowler is our God.

Offline Chronic

• Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be heroes.
« Reply #208 on: August 21, 2009, 12:51:28 am »
Picked up a guitar last week for the first time ever (acoustic) and have basically been trying my hardest to learn the basic chords all week, chose the first song i'm looking on nailing today.

Youtube video here

The F is killing me though

Can get the first 3 chords basically spot on most times (the C, Em then Am) but the F is ridiculous.

How the hell are you meant to nail the F ?

Tab for Sonnet
Loves getting pissed and shagging brasses

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #209 on: August 21, 2009, 01:52:12 am »
I've been playing for about a month or so now, and I found it easier at the start to just mute the high E string on an F chord with my index finger, then try and do it properly as you get better.
anyone know what actually happened to ribery's face?
Just a routine tackle by Skrtel

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #210 on: August 21, 2009, 02:17:02 am »
The F is killing me though

Can get the first 3 chords basically spot on most times (the C, Em then Am) but the F is ridiculous.

How the hell are you meant to nail the F ?

Try barring the E and B strings together on their own and just play those two strings, then add the other fingers to the required positions and you will soon get there.

I've taught many people and the biggest problem when they have got around to learning the F chord is that they tend to press too hard when there is really no need to.

Keep trying and you will get there.

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #211 on: November 28, 2009, 09:23:12 pm »
Bump.

Been playing acoustic for a couple of months now, and I'm not too bad. Got my first electric guitar today and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for songs to learn.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:25:20 pm by Crazyhorse7778 »

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: November 28, 2009, 09:39:58 pm »
I've been trying the last couple of days to get this right...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naAWX6OsHVI
...every time I think I've nearly got it, I fuck up.  The extra bassline notes screw me up, completely.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: November 28, 2009, 09:49:28 pm »
Bump.

Been playing acoustic for a couple of months now, and I'm not too bad. Got my first electric guitar today and was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for songs to learn.
Shine On You Crazy Diamond is quite a good song to play....obviously the solo bits might be beyond you at the moment, but it has some really nice slow bends that are really good for practising....
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #214 on: November 28, 2009, 10:04:35 pm »
Cheers, I'll check it out now.

Offline nutmeg94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: November 29, 2009, 05:17:57 am »
Crazyhorse, I'm in the same boat as you, I've only been playing since the summer, but here are some songs with licks or riffs I've learned or been learning:

Heroin - Velvet Underground
Mannish Boy - Muddy Waters
Sunshine of Your Love, Strange Brew, Born Under a Bad Sign (the solo) - Cream
Manic Depression, Spanish Castle Magic, Fire - Jimi Hendrix
Day Tripper, While My Guitar Gently Weeps (the solo) - Beatles
Livin Lovin Maid, Black Dog - Led Zep

Some of these you may already know or can pick up really easily, some take a bit of practice.

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #216 on: November 29, 2009, 12:43:30 pm »
Yeah I know one or two of those but I'll check the rest out, thanks for the suggestions lads.

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: November 30, 2009, 03:38:39 pm »
I've been trying the last couple of days to get this right...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naAWX6OsHVI
...every time I think I've nearly got it, I fuck up.  The extra bassline notes screw me up, completely.

That's amazing.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #218 on: November 30, 2009, 03:57:28 pm »
My 8 yr old lad has nailed "London's Burning" (not the TV theme).  He's now learning the Top Gun Theme

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #219 on: November 30, 2009, 04:31:54 pm »

Relax, as someone once said, play a note wrong once...it's wrong...play it twice...it's jazz...  :)
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: November 30, 2009, 06:49:11 pm »

Stick with simple to start with. I'd tell this to anyone just starting out;

I used 'The Beatles Complete' to start off with. Knew most of the songs anyway. Teaches you chord changes and what-not, song-structure, melody & harmony etc.

They are the acknowledged masters, after all....

Early Bowie and Velvet Underground stuff is dead easy to pick up too.
87:13

Offline AndoNagasaki

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • the devil makes good use for these hands of mine
« Reply #221 on: November 30, 2009, 08:39:26 pm »
Stick with simple to start with. I'd tell this to anyone just starting out;
For anyone wanting to play Beatles songs, I'd highly recommend this Hal Leonard book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beatles-Complete-Chord-Songbook/dp/0711974594/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259613311&sr=1-5
the trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin I keep sliding off to the side

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #222 on: December 16, 2009, 05:14:09 pm »
Been learning some finger picking songs lately, have Here Comes the Sun and Blackbird down, and I'm working on The Boxer at the moment.

Anyone know of any other good finger picking songs worth having a look at?

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: December 16, 2009, 05:22:22 pm »
Been learning some finger picking songs lately, have Here Comes the Sun and Blackbird down, and I'm working on The Boxer at the moment.

Stairway to Heaven

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: December 16, 2009, 05:22:43 pm »

Duelling Banjos ;D

87:13

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: December 16, 2009, 05:23:23 pm »

First one I learned was Lying in the Sun by Stereophonics, lovely little song and great to play in the dark (ironic given the title).

House of the Rising Sun is a good one too

Offline nutmeg94

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: December 17, 2009, 02:20:22 am »

Actually I'm learning Blackbird at the moment, first time I've ever fingerpicked.  My tips fecking hurt.  ;D

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #227 on: December 17, 2009, 04:47:49 pm »
Actually I'm learning Blackbird at the moment, first time I've ever fingerpicked.  My tips fecking hurt.  ;D

Tell me about it mate, fingers are bloody killing me on the picking hand, especially my thumb. Can play straight through The Boxer now though so it's worth it, it sounds pretty good too.

I'd recommend learning that song if you get a chance as it's got a fairly basic travis picking pattern in it, which is a great technique to know.

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: December 17, 2009, 06:09:50 pm »
Been doing a lot of finger tapping in some of the songs I've been learning, quite fun, its mostly simple intro's to songs though e.g:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Ypa4iC_4E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYBVVzY_YJE

Can anyone recommend a decent metal amp (metal as in genre ;) ) was looking at some line 6 spiders but I could do with some opinions, also preferably under £200. I still have a 15watt Roland 15x which I despise.

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: December 20, 2009, 01:26:44 pm »
I got my results for my grade 5 yesterday. I got 78% which is a merit. I did the grade 5 because I was a lazy player, I knew so many bits of songs and didnt know much thoery so it's a nice little bonus to do well in it.

I'll have a look at grade 6 in the New Year.

Offline ds2190

• Simon Cowell + Oswald Moseley's pernickety lovechild
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: December 20, 2009, 07:23:28 pm »
Been doing a lot of finger tapping in some of the songs I've been learning, quite fun, its mostly simple intro's to songs though e.g:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Ypa4iC_4E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYBVVzY_YJE

Can anyone recommend a decent metal amp (metal as in genre ;) ) was looking at some line 6 spiders but I could do with some opinions, also preferably under £200. I still have a 15watt Roland 15x which I despise.

Don't go for a Line6 - know a few people who have used them and they hate them. I have a Marshall MG50DFX which does the job, but my ex bought it for me so not too sure how much it was. Think it was just over £150.

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: December 22, 2009, 05:09:32 pm »
^Cheers. Will look into it.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #232 on: March 24, 2010, 10:20:47 am »
Hey guys

Is there anyone on RAWK who's supergood at working out what the chords are for songs?  It's this oldass Italian folk song my dad wants me to play while he sings and I don't have an ear for this sort of thing.

Help!
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: March 24, 2010, 10:54:03 am »
Ive nowt but respect for peopel who play the guitar! looks so difficult! ive got one it has 5 stings  ;D and its shite,it was my sisters from years ago, its clapped out and bolox frankly.but its my birthday coming up and im gonna get myself my first proper guitar.i dont want to go spending a fortune though, want an acoustic.Ive been told not to go too cheap coz if you do get into it then youll want to upgrade fairly quickly for the sound quality etc.Bit of a confusing thing to go looking for, if you dont really know waht your looking for, if that makes sense! any recommendations would be appreciated!  :wave
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #234 on: March 24, 2010, 11:11:19 am »
whats the song mate.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #235 on: March 24, 2010, 11:16:35 am »
whats the song mate.

Hurrah.  Here's one of the million versions of it on youtube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb_mzq0MttQ

Cheers for having a look.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #236 on: March 24, 2010, 11:45:08 am »
Ive nowt but respect for peopel who play the guitar! looks so difficult! ive got one it has 5 stings  ;D and its shite,it was my sisters from years ago, its clapped out and bolox frankly.but its my birthday coming up and im gonna get myself my first proper guitar.i dont want to go spending a fortune though, want an acoustic.Ive been told not to go too cheap coz if you do get into it then youll want to upgrade fairly quickly for the sound quality etc.Bit of a confusing thing to go looking for, if you dont really know waht your looking for, if that makes sense! any recommendations would be appreciated!  :wave

It actually isn't that hard there's seriously a lot guitar players who gig who would seem not to possess any musical ability at all, you'll know all about wants you get playing and get good.

You can pick a decent acoustic up now for about £100, they were even in Lidl and the quality was quite good for the price. Here's a few examples of where you should be heading.

Three well known manufactureres, you wont go far wrong with either one of these for a beginners guitar.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cort_earth_70_ns.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_dr100_westerngitarre.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/yamaha_f310_na.htm

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #237 on: March 24, 2010, 12:08:51 pm »
tubby, im on dial up mate so you tube is a no go for me lol. i have checked my GP tabs and its not there. i have found out that its a traditional folk song called Lazy Mary apparently. And La Danza iirc. sorry it isnt much help. its also off the godfather pt 1 but wasnt included on the soundtrack.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: March 24, 2010, 12:30:40 pm »
Hurrah.  Here's one of the million versions of it on youtube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb_mzq0MttQ

Cheers for having a look.

Had a little play along with that (only the banjo bit at the start, the accordian just confused me a bit later on), I made it as just A and E, then when it does the change bit it starts with the A and instead of E goes to D A E A for the 'If we're going to marry it's the butcher boy for me'.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: March 24, 2010, 12:57:42 pm »
Started playing the other week, nicked an electric guitar and an acoustic off a mate. Started off with the electric but i'm finding it tough to play chords on it, sounds stupid but it feels like my fingers aren't long enough for this guitar lark as i'm always really stretching and as a result i've not been able to get a great grip on the strings. Find it easier an the acoustic and doing it wrong makes a slightly less shit noise, problem is that the top string keeps flying off :D