Author Topic: General decorating and DIY thread indoor and outdoors.  (Read 30872 times)

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
Re: Are you good at DIY?
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2018, 05:46:37 pm »
Utterly useless. Put new batteries in the remote and I'm proud of myself. Weird though as I'm a very good self taught home cook....but I have a passion for it and therefore want to learn by my mistakes.

Just pay a pro to do want they have been taught to do what you have no idea about.
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2018, 10:24:44 pm »
I hung a door a few weeks ago. Cut it down to size to fit the frame and everything. Feel like I could build a house now.

Used to do plugs and points and brake pads on cars but gave that up, pay for it all these days.

Still do all the servicing on my bikes and the wifes car, but I've got a Jag now so that gets done by the garage as I want to keep the history going.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2018, 10:38:01 pm »
Just about to undertake a full re-decorate and change fittings, skirting boards etc. not done much for a while as tended to get a pro to do it so wish me luck....
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2018, 10:53:06 pm »
I truly suck at it, but the boss wants her stuff done so what do you do? Made a doorway leading into the living room recently. I learned to render about 25 years ago when I used to out onsite with my dad, but it's been a long time since I did that so it was a bit frustrating finishing it off.

Just finished new kitchen cabinets and to be honest, when I look back over it there's a lot of things I would do differently next time. Just don't want there to be a "next time". For instance- the sink doesn't overhang and so the doors(16mm melamine) stand proud. Wife says I shouldn't worry about it, but it bothers me a bit. I'm really happy with how I installed the concealed hinges on the doors though. Thought that- and the runners for the drawers would be the most difficult, but luckily by the time I got to that, I had learned to take my time.

In any case- that last DIY job really tested my patience and I'm the better for it, I suppose. Currently working on burglar bars and I already had to endure arc-eyes the night before.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 11:12:40 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2018, 07:42:07 pm »
I'll do it all.

Except for plastering. Jeez I suck at that.

Offline Scaryscouse

• Purveyor of shite english lager
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2018, 11:25:18 pm »
Wasn't handy at all for years. Have ended up in a career in facilities management so my exposure to DIY and repairs has taught me a lot.

Most stuff actually isn't all that difficult if you know what shit you actually need to do the job. There is a material or product for every problem you can imagine but it's knowing what you need is the real battle.
So many times I've logged for repairs and followed up to see if it was done. Often I've had no idea how they would repair the issue and have that "Oh, there's a thing specifically for that issue, who knew?". Seems obvious but if you're not exposed to it, how would you know?

I've started to do more and more stuff that I wouldn't have dreamed about years ago but one thing I will never get my head around is drawing out and measuring stuff. I can't explain why but it's almost like that part of my brain has denied me access, it simply does not compute at all.

Oddly enough I found what really helped me was cooking more and trying new recipes. I watched cooking videos etc and grew in confidence. While obviously DIY involves labour, the formula is essentially the same, follow the recipe or instructions and there's a 99% chance it'll work.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:27:54 pm by Scaryscouse »
I remember years ago doing the fart with your fingers pointed like a gun.

I did it to my brother, I had a dressing gown on.

Instead of farting I shat on the floor - my brother thought I was demented.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2018, 11:33:57 am »
Anyone recommend a good drill? Looking to spend around £150. Need it for woodwork and masonry. Cordless preferable but not essential.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2018, 06:46:51 pm »
Anyone recommend a good drill? Looking to spend around £150. Need it for woodwork and masonry. Cordless preferable but not essential.

Any of the major brands like Bosch or Makita will do the trick - but I'd say you want a hammer drill for the masonry and a different one for the wood. Also, go cordless, 18V lithium ion.

I'm in the states so can't help with the shopping, but I had great success with this re-certified site ( https://bigskytool.com/ ) , got my stuff dead cheap. It was all hitachi. I bet you have something similar over there

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2018, 07:13:41 pm »

I spent 5 years or so dampcoursing & we absolutely battered Makita drills daily & they stood up to it.
We used & abused all kinds,even Hilti's fell short.
Bought Makitas ever since.
If you are going cordless..get a higher Ah as your budget will allow if you use it regular.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Juan Kerr

• Main Stander
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2018, 07:17:20 pm »
https://www.diy.com/departments/makita-lxt-cordless-18v-3ah-li-ion-combi-drill-2-batteries-dhp453sfe/1488228_BQ.prd

Won't go too far wrong with that 1 Barney or see if you can get you're hands on a 2nd hand  miwaukee there about £300 new.

Or screwfix have a dewalt 1 at the min for £99

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2018, 07:38:24 pm »
I spent 5 years or so dampcoursing & we absolutely battered Makita drills daily & they stood up to it.
We used & abused all kinds,even Hilti's fell short.
Bought Makitas ever since.
If you are going cordless..get a higher Ah as your budget will allow if you use it regular.

Our Hire fleet has been Hilti, DeWalt and Makita for over 20 years. Agree the Makita's are the best, take the abuse off the animals who use them  ;) :)

What size holes are you looking to drill in the Masonry? If it is small holes into stuff that isn't too hard, I've always used my 18v or 24v cordless drill, but for large holes or hard material I prefer to use a corded drill. The shouts for Makita and Bosch are good shouts and I'd also recommend DeWalt. You want an 18v minimum, ideally two batteries if you go cordless. If you can get one, an SDS drill with an SDS chuck will allow you to use standard bits and SDS bits.

https://www.diy.com/departments/makita-lxt-cordless-18v-3ah-li-ion-combi-drill-2-batteries-dhp453sfe/1488228_BQ.prd

Won't go too far wrong with that 1 Barney or see if you can get you're hands on a 2nd hand  miwaukee there about £300 new.

Or screwfix have a dewalt 1 at the min for £99

A lot depends on what he wants to do, those drills are ok up to 13 or 14mm, but no good for large holes.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:41:15 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Juan Kerr

• Main Stander
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2018, 07:49:01 pm »
He was after a cordless so I presumed he wasn't looking to drill any big holes. He could always get a reduced shank bit if he did need bigger holes.
We use milwaukee 24v cordless in work drilling through 10mm steel with a 16 or 18 mm reduced shank bits and it flys through it.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2018, 09:22:39 pm »

I need to upgrade my drills too and will be trying to sell my 3 Makita Ni-Cad (14v) drills at some point if interested. They're about 10/12 years old, but never had a problem and have been put to work alot, particularly the impact driver which was brilliant. The batteries are dead on their feet - made the mistake of buying 2 'compatible' cheap batteries on eBay. Don't be tempted!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2018, 09:26:40 pm »
The trick is your drill bits, not your drill. Use Hsco drill bits and always pilot. Going straight in with a 8mm+ on anything more than a mild steel at 5-6 mm and your on your way to wasting energy and burning batteries.

Tomorrow - How to sharpen drill bits.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2018, 09:34:41 pm »

Tomorrow - How to sharpen drill bits.
I've been trained how to grind Chops, honestly.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2018, 09:40:02 pm »
I've been trained how to grind Chops, honestly.

By Chaka Demus and Pliers?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2018, 09:52:30 pm »
Selling my impact driver will be like losing a family pet. Used to call it the Snubnose.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3dBn3fW1ijU?start=58" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3dBn3fW1ijU?start=58</a>

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2018, 04:26:38 pm »
been resurfacing a bathtub today, looking sparkling after a second coat.

the fumes might kill me though.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2018, 12:30:37 pm »

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2018, 01:09:29 pm »
This me, doing DIY.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2018, 06:59:31 pm »

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2019, 08:53:44 pm »
Had a slight incident, anybody know how to remove expanding foam from one's self?
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2019, 08:55:59 pm »
Had a slight incident, anybody know how to remove expanding foam from one's self?
Laxative?
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2019, 09:12:22 pm »

Warm soapy water. Soak it for as long as you can.

If you have some acetone (nail varnish remover) then great too

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2019, 09:17:24 pm »

Feel there’s more to this story?!

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2019, 09:21:58 pm »
Feel there’s more to this story?!

There is....I lost the straw.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2019, 09:23:50 pm »
There is....I lost the straw.

Ah so lost all accuracy and it got away from you?!

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2019, 09:26:05 pm »
Ah so lost all accuracy and it got away from you?!

Well, without the straw for the can, I had to decide how to get the foam out.

Chose a screwdriver + hammer!  ;D

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2019, 09:27:24 pm »
Well, without the straw for the can, I had to decide how to get the foam out.

Chose a screwdriver + hammer!  ;D

Haha I knew there was gold in here if we dug long enough!

Bet it went everywhere haha

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2019, 09:29:03 pm »
Something like this.

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2019, 09:30:05 pm »
 :lmao

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: May 31, 2019, 09:40:17 am »

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #152 on: May 31, 2019, 10:00:50 am »

Video leaked..

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/lBxWJbFCxhs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/lBxWJbFCxhs</a>

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: May 31, 2019, 10:41:06 am »
Video leaked..

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/lBxWJbFCxhs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/lBxWJbFCxhs</a>

The actual concept wasn't as insane as it sounds, however it did rely very much upon getting the timing right in that after puncturing the can, the hole needed to be sealed with a finger very quickly. Then carry the can up a ladder one-handed to reach a void in the wall located halfway up the side of the house. Then in theory, remove the finger and direct the foam jet into the void, easy!

.......It was the execution that was the problem.  :-X 

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #154 on: June 8, 2019, 05:47:28 pm »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: June 8, 2019, 07:40:23 pm »

The actual concept wasn't as insane as it sounds, however it did rely very much upon getting the timing right in that after puncturing the can, the hole needed to be sealed with a finger very quickly. Then carry the can up a ladder one-handed to reach a void in the wall located halfway up the side of the house. Then in theory, remove the finger and direct the foam jet into the void, easy!

.......It was the execution that was the problem.  :-X

Pretty insane to be honest  ;D  How did you get on removing it ?  Best off letting it dry because water just makes it worse.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: June 9, 2019, 09:51:21 pm »
Pretty insane to be honest  ;D  How did you get on removing it ?  Best off letting it dry because water just makes it worse.

Yeah I had to wait for it to dry, I was caked in it! I had to wait a couple of days before I could peel it off my hands but the worse part was that it got stuck in the hair on my forearms and I had to cut it out with scissors. I must admit that I feel like a bit of a dick head, but the finished product looks good now that I've mortared it all in, although there is still some foam on the face of the bricks that I'll have to take a wire brush to.

On a positive note, a least I won't have to wax my forearms again for a least another six months!

;D ;D

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2019, 10:42:48 am »
was looking for a DIY thread

couple of funnies came in to my head

one of my uncles used to run his own business, he was a brilliant builder, could do anything.

When he was in his late teens he built a huge conservatory for his folks, however as he finished he stood on the roof and shouted to my dad.
"what do you think of that? Brilliant isnt it"

My dad swears on his life that within about 1 second his brother fell straight through the roof and landed on my Grandad. It was pretty horrific at the time but hilarious now.

Another one of my dad's brothers was nowhere near as good at DIY, his wife used to say "he couldnt put a nail in the wall".

My dad went over to stay with him just after he got married, his brother got a new carpet laid in his room for him. However, the carpet was that thick the bedroom door wouldnt close. So Dad's brother decides to fix things, he amazes everyone by taking the door off, measuring it carefully and cutting a perfectly straight line with just the right amount taken off. He is delighted with himself, until he goes to put the door back up and realizes he has cut the top of the door and not the bottom. Frustrated he just left the door up against the wall and stormed off.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2019, 08:10:57 pm »
Anybody point me in the direction of a good and easy guide to re-seal along the worktop behind the kitchen sink?

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2019, 09:40:45 pm »
Anybody point me in the direction of a good and easy guide to re-seal along the worktop behind the kitchen sink?

Take off the existing seal, cut off as much as you can and if you need use seal remover.

Make sure both surfaces are clean if any grease and dry then using masking tape apply horizontally against both surface leaving as much gap as you need, smaller the better though but make sure there is enough space on the surfaces for the new sealer to grab onto.

Squeeze sealer slowly into gap, I find the hand squeeze bottles better than those in a gun for control.

Use a rounded spatula or even your finger dipped into som3 fairy liquid to form a tight seal. Remove masking tape when dry.

Voila You should end up with a very neat finish.

BTW buy a mould resistant sealant.

Edit : Ice cream stick is good for the finish  :)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 09:47:34 pm by harryc »