Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4158083 times)

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #23000 on: July 15, 2012, 12:32:31 pm »
Mirra, 7777 and others.

What do you think about Price signing up with Boxnation?

Also what's going on with Sky? Are sky only dealing with Eddie Hearn and showing Khan fights(taking about the British fighters here- know sky show non British fights)

I have no fucking idea what Sky are upto, besides the Khan deals, they seem to be dealing exclusively with Matchroom which is really odd considering the talent in some of the other stables. Price said himself that Maloney only asked for enough televised fights to cover Price and they still said no

Said it the other day but it'd do no harm for Hatton to join up with Warren too and have their fights on Boxnation, Sky might just regret their move then, David Coldwell is starting to get props for decent shows and he is another that could link up with Boxnation

Think it's a good move by Maloney and Price in the absence of anything else on offer. The Beeb and ITV aren't interested anymore, Channel 5 are signed up with Hennessey, so it's between Boxnation and Primetime!

ESPN don't seem to be interested either strangely

The only thing that really pisses me off with Boxnation is the quality of their camera's as the fight last night looked like it was filmed on a phone, he needs some more investment in that side for me oh and John Rawling as their anchor man! Smigga spoke very well though again, defo got a future in that side of the game now

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
« Reply #23001 on: July 15, 2012, 12:34:56 pm »
Also just seen on ssn that froch said khan should consider quitting. I haven't seen the interview (if that's what it was) just the headline, but I think its a little out of order. Froch got demolished not so long back (forget the fighter), and came back with a good performance the other week.

Froch has never been demolished to be fair, he got outclassed by Ward who's probably in the top 3 fighters on earth. Khan got hammered by Danny Garcia, with respect, this Garcia kid still has a lot to prove. Although, I don't think Khan should retire.

Khan seems to be in a mess when he get's caught with a heavy punch and unfortunately, you can't train to combat that, you can train better defensive skills however but does Khan have the brain to take it all in and change his style? I'd back Khan against anyone who doesn't really carry a lot of power. He could take Malignaggi's belt of him for instance but as for reaching the very top, I don't see it.

Unless Khan takes his defensive ablility up about 10 notches, fights off the back foot and uses his speed in the way Mayweather does then maybe he can get back in the mix.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:39:35 pm by NOTBORNIN1982 »
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23002 on: July 15, 2012, 12:36:09 pm »
Gutted for Khan but hes his own worst enemy. Was always thinking ahead about unifying the division and moving up to fight Mayweather who would quite frankly, destroy him inside 1 round.

Looses concentration too quickly and puts up a poor defence. Got caught out with a good combination by Garcia and was horrible seeing his loud mouthed c*nt of a father celebrate.  Think he'll still fight around a bit, but mostly bums to help with the cash flow, but can't see him get any big title shots.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23003 on: July 15, 2012, 12:41:51 pm »
Froch has never been demolished to be fair, he got outclassed by Ward who's probably in the top 3 fighters on earth. Khan got hammered by Danny Garcia, with respect, this Garcia kid still has a lot to prove. Although, I don't think Khan should retire.

Khan seems to be in a mess when he get's caught with a heavy punch and unfortunately, you can't train to combat that, you can train better defensive skills however but does Khan have the brain to take it all in and change his style? I'd back Khan against anyone who doesn't really carry a lot of power. He could take Malignaggi's belt of him for instance but as for reaching the very top, I don't see it.

Unless Khan takes his defensive ablility up about 10 notches, fights off the back foot and uses his speed in the way Mayweather does then maybe he can get back in the mix.

That will be the fight they will go after 110%

Then Hatton in the UK next summer  :-X

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• and neither is he the best poster on here, not even close in fact. Maybe the 1982nd.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23004 on: July 15, 2012, 12:48:16 pm »
That will be the fight they will go after 110%

Then Hatton in the UK next summer  :-X

Malignaggi would take that fight as well, he doesn't have the power to trouble Khan, although, if he was watching last night it might get him swinging a few from way back. I actually rate Malignaggi from a technical view and he has a lot of heart.

I heard about these Hatton rumours. I'm all for it, Hatton keeps himself in tip top condition and would be ready to step into a ring next week ::)
"How much do you smoke, sir? Two packs a day, is that right? Pussy. I go through two lighters a day. That's right, two lighters! You're a health nut compared to me."

Offline TeamSpirit™

• Main Stander
  • Cockerel that likes to hang around Liverbirds
« Reply #23005 on: July 15, 2012, 01:05:09 pm »
I don't care how skilled, fast or powerful you are, you've got to be able to display some form of punch resistance. Every top line boxer has been tagged badly at sometime or another, but for the most part are able to come through the crisis.  Khan's brains just turn to mush as soon as any stronger than average contact is made - the initial left hook which scrambled him was more on the neck than on the head.

The warning signs were there early in his career when Willie bleedin' Limmond was able to put him on his backside.

Offline Diomedieocre

• Well-dressed meat 'n veg.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow me, fuckface.
« Reply #23006 on: July 15, 2012, 01:42:58 pm »
I`d like to see Manny Stewart turn Khan into a jab and hold type of fighter..Would Khan have the discipline to do it?....probly not......shame because he really is a talented boxer.

Offline SkinHimHesShite

• 80 kgs benchpressed, but are we impressed?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23007 on: July 15, 2012, 02:14:46 pm »
I don't care how skilled, fast or powerful you are, you've got to be able to display some form of punch resistance. Every top line boxer has been tagged badly at sometime or another, but for the most part are able to come through the crisis.  Khan's brains just turn to mush as soon as any stronger than average contact is made - the initial left hook which scrambled him was more on the neck than on the head.

The warning signs were there early in his career when Willie bleedin' Limmond was able to put him on his backside.

correct me if I'm wrong but if you catch a big shot to the side of your neck like that it wobbles the fcuk out of you doesn't it? a shot to the temple will put you to sleep but one below the ear will kill your legs.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #23008 on: July 15, 2012, 02:16:21 pm »
The truth be known, Khan is really not that good.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #23009 on: July 15, 2012, 02:28:01 pm »

That's not really fair. He's actually very good technically but just doesn't have any ring intelligence or punch resistance. He'll probably never be able to take a punch but he can still mature in the ring. You'd like to think all these massive shots he's taking would make him fight more defensively going forward.

I don't know whether its arrogance or greed or whatever but he seems intent on not only winning but 'looking good'. Probably buying all the BS from promoters about how to get the superfights and the big $$$ etc. If he actually just listened to his trainer and keep fights at distance he'd win. It'd be boring, he wouldn't knock anybody out but he'd win.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #23010 on: July 15, 2012, 02:30:37 pm »
khan will be back, no doubt about it.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #23011 on: July 15, 2012, 02:36:19 pm »
Not so sure about the 'glass chin' theory. Khan got caught by a blindly thrown haymaker in the neck / behind the ear area. Anyone would have gone down from that

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23012 on: July 15, 2012, 02:53:44 pm »
The Khan fight is on youtube mate, well it was about an hour ago unless they've took it down like.
Just watched it. Got to say this first.... the comments on that youtube make the after match threads on here look like Mensa meetings.

People don't half get brave sitting behind keyboards where no one can see them. And it's really strange, how they all become better footballers and boxers than Maradona and Ali combined. Don't fancy Brendan Rodgers picking his team from the after match thread posters, but I'd love a few of them youtube posters to get in the ring with Khan. The horrible bastards.

As for what I seen, I had high hopes for this lad, but I don't think he's got the full tool box. I'm not so sure he's got a glass chin, like some make out. To me, he just seems to get too sloppy and he won't get away with that at this level. He'd be better off taking a few easier (but not joke) fights, building his reputation back up and getting out of the game after one really big pay day. The only other thing I see for him, is getting paneled and disappearing.

As for the Haye fight, I can't even be arsed looking at the highlights. I've had no interest in the heavyweight division for years. It's a laughing stock, and becoming more of a freak show with every passing fight. No doubt, someone will come along and drag it back into some sort of respectability, but it's a joke right now and has been for years.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23013 on: July 15, 2012, 02:55:35 pm »
Nonsense. He's very good, indeed. He's just not top shelf. No disgrace in that.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #23014 on: July 15, 2012, 03:12:59 pm »
Interesting argument about Khan moving up to 147. He came in 1 pound under the limit for this fight which suggests he didn't struggle to make the weight. If he steps up then his so called glass chin will be getting hit even harder. Also how the hell did Paulie Malignaggi win a world title?

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #23015 on: July 15, 2012, 03:15:18 pm »
Just watched it. Got to say this first.... the comments on that youtube make the after match threads on here look like Mensa meetings.

People don't half get brave sitting behind keyboards where no one can see them. And it's really strange, how they all become better footballers and boxers than Maradona and Ali combined. Don't fancy Brendan Rodgers picking his team from the after match thread posters, but I'd love a few of them youtube posters to get in the ring with Khan. The horrible bastards.

As for what I seen, I had high hopes for this lad, but I don't think he's got the full tool box. I'm not so sure he's got a glass chin, like some make out. To me, he just seems to get too sloppy and he won't get away with that at this level. He'd be better off taking a few easier (but not joke) fights, building his reputation back up and getting out of the game after one really big pay day. The only other thing I see for him, is getting paneled and disappearing.

As for the Haye fight, I can't even be arsed looking at the highlights. I've had no interest in the heavyweight division for years. It's a laughing stock, and becoming more of a freak show with every passing fight. No doubt, someone will come along and drag it back into some sort of respectability, but it's a joke right now and has been for years.

Nearly every youtube video involving Amir Khan ends up with people calling him racist names or whatever, id love to bump into a few of these youtube people. I mean if you find one video on there, just one, that doesnt involve an argument on the first page of comments your lucky mate!

The Haye fight is worth a watch mate, it was a decent entertaining fight while it lasted, but I understand how you feel about the heavyweight division. Its been like this since Lewis packed it in and while we have two good champions in the Klitschkos, I think most of us want a heavyweight champion who can bring the excitment to the table, somebody like Mike Tyson when he said he was the baddest man on the planet. The Brothers are both nice guys and good for the sport, but I know I want a heavyweight champ with that aura of violence around them like Mike, Jack Dempsey, Foreman etc, or one like Ali would be fine too, i dont ask for much  ;D
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #23016 on: July 15, 2012, 03:16:23 pm »
Also how the hell did Paulie Malignaggi win a world title?

Because hes a good boxer, just not a big hitter. Its even more impressive id say that hes managed to achieve what he has without any punch power really!
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23017 on: July 15, 2012, 03:20:14 pm »

I don't think it's down to being unable to take a punch. He's been caught with some good ones, stayed on his feet and rode it out. I can't think of the fight, but I can remember him getting caught once and riding it out. I think the problem is, him getting caught in the first place. He seems to lose concentration and get sloppy.

Try getting lamped in the neck like that, or on the top of the head like the second one. Them lads don't need to catch you flush on the jaw or the temple. Very few knock outs come from a punch on the button, as it's not so easy to hit the button. But get enough power in one of them, and it doesn't have to land on the button.

Maybe Khan needs to get back in the gym with a new defensive coach. But, in my opinion, he falls short of what's required to get to the top. And it's a shame, but he'll still make a few quid and have a half ways decent career without hitting the real heights.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23018 on: July 15, 2012, 03:28:21 pm »
Nearly every youtube video involving Amir Khan ends up with people calling him racist names or whatever, id love to bump into a few of these youtube people. I mean if you find one video on there, just one, that doesnt involve an argument on the first page of comments your lucky mate!

The Haye fight is worth a watch mate, it was a decent entertaining fight while it lasted, but I understand how you feel about the heavyweight division. Its been like this since Lewis packed it in and while we have two good champions in the Klitschkos, I think most of us want a heavyweight champion who can bring the excitment to the table, somebody like Mike Tyson when he said he was the baddest man on the planet. The Brothers are both nice guys and good for the sport, but I know I want a heavyweight champ with that aura of violence around them like Mike, Jack Dempsey, Foreman etc, or one like Ali would be fine too, i dont ask for much  ;D
I grew up during the great heavyweight era, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton. I was a teenager when John Conteh won his gold medal at the Commonwealth games. I boxed in Kirkby. Tucker Edrington ran it back then. I thought I had something until a few hidings put me straight on that. I've loved boxing all me life. So, I can't be arsed with the charade that the heavy weight divisions became. But I think you're right on the Klitchkos. The game would have been a complete farce without them over the last few years.
Anyway, that's my two cents. And in my opinion, Khan isn't shite. He's not that far off being top notch. I don't know if he can make the big step up though. But if he's going to, he's got to stop getting tagged like that. Can he? We'll see, I suppose.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23019 on: July 15, 2012, 04:34:30 pm »
Still gutted about khan to be honest.. Did not see it coming at all. Pisses me off how he has this thing where hes got to put on a spectacular show and KO his opponent quick time. Maybe he feels he cant last the distance or he is underestimating his opponents. In the maidana fight khan was boxing smart, in and out, dont know why hes stopped doing that. Long and painful road ahead for him now. Anybody think its about time he parted from roach?
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline JMM

• bantend
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #23020 on: July 15, 2012, 04:40:22 pm »
Fair enough I suppose mate, so being honest without family bias how far do you think Tyson can go? Do you think he could beat one of the Klitchko's?

P.s Does anyone else fancy Danny Garcia to cause an upset and beat Khan this weekend? 4/1 with some bookies  :lickin

Get paid £££

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23021 on: July 15, 2012, 04:42:22 pm »
Fats - may I say that you're a welcome addition to the thread mate, without blowing smoke up your arse.  ;D  Always enjoy reading your posts without contributing anything to the football discussions myself, because I can't be doing with the nonsense that goes on in those threads.  Stick around here mate, your two cents are definitely welcomed  :wave

Agreed, got a lot of time for Fats too

Cracking last post mate, I think the 'we' thing is something he has always done though and says it when he wins too so I'm not sure it points to a lack of confidence like I've seen suggested

He will leave Roach I'm sure of it cos something will have to give for him to re-invent himself

He is still only young but the saying 'if he had a brain, he'd be dangerous' could never be more apt, fucking clueless at times

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23022 on: July 15, 2012, 05:58:40 pm »

I wonder if Peterson getting caught doping worked against him in the sense that it allowed him to dismiss that result altogether out of his mind and not pay attention to the potential warning signs in front of him with Garcia.  There's always the sense with Khan that he's looking ahead to a point in his career whilst not actually being there just yet.   :-\   You do have to wonder who is pointing out any of this to him in his camp and trying to keep him focused.  Confidence is one thing, but you can be quietly confident whilst remaining grounded.  That's aside from pointing out his defensive deficiencies and inability to fight on the inside or off the ropes.  The clips of him sparring showed him taking far too many shots.  (starts around 11m30s in the below vid.)  Who's pulling him up on it?  I can't imagine that Roach would let that slip by, so you've got to wonder, is it Khan just carrying on blindly?

Freddie wasn't there. He was with another one of his boxers somewhere.

I was shocking when I say this the other day as I thought Khan is getitng caught with ease. The Garcia camp would of been smiling when watching this - played right into Garcia hands.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23023 on: July 15, 2012, 06:30:15 pm »
He might not have been there for that particular session in the gym mate, I was mainly referring to if Khan gets caught like that in general, which FR would see when monitoring the sparring in camp at other times. Plus, even in this instance, you would have someone reporting back to Roach with an overview, if he [FR] wasn't watching tapes himself. If not, then someone's not doing their job.

The biggest mistake was letting the world see the session mate.

I can only blame Roach mate.

Offline Mamzz21

• Main Stander
  • Liverpool
« Reply #23024 on: July 15, 2012, 06:41:19 pm »
Khan will be back without a doubt. Sadly he tried to do too much too soon. his mind was on the big big fights and he's not on that level. maybe 10 wins down the line
realistically. Thats the only way he will pick up the ring intelligence etc he is lacking, ability wise he's quality

Offline TeamSpirit™

• Main Stander
  • Cockerel that likes to hang around Liverbirds
« Reply #23025 on: July 15, 2012, 07:06:07 pm »
correct me if I'm wrong but if you catch a big shot to the side of your neck like that it wobbles the fcuk out of you doesn't it? a shot to the temple will put you to sleep but one below the ear will kill your legs.

I don't think it's down to being unable to take a punch. He's been caught with some good ones, stayed on his feet and rode it out. I can't think of the fight, but I can remember him getting caught once and riding it out. I think the problem is, him getting caught in the first place. He seems to lose concentration and get sloppy.

Try getting lamped in the neck like that, or on the top of the head like the second one. Them lads don't need to catch you flush on the jaw or the temple. Very few knock outs come from a punch on the button, as it's not so easy to hit the button. But get enough power in one of them, and it doesn't have to land on the button.

Maybe Khan needs to get back in the gym with a new defensive coach. But, in my opinion, he falls short of what's required to get to the top. And it's a shame, but he'll still make a few quid and have a half ways decent career without hitting the real heights.

Yes if your footwork is bad then you can easily be put off-balance, which we all know is crucial, so a knockdown is definetly possible. Whilst it can suck the wind out of you, he genuinely appeared not to know where he was.

His ego/pride/lack of ring nous did him in as well. He does realise he had 10 seconds to clear his head and get up right? Shooting up straight away in an attempt to show that you're not hurt/only caught by a lucky shot away is no good if you are just going to be seeing stars the rest of the way. Apart from Maidana (and he survived that by the skin of his teeth) he keeps making the same basic errors which expose his weaknesses. He has super speed but his defence is terrible, and he's chinny but wants to stand and trade like a fool. I genuinely fear for his long term health if he carries on in the same manner.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:11:40 pm by TeamSpirit™ »

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23026 on: July 15, 2012, 10:33:00 pm »
old school boxing on bbc4 at the mo
bollocks

Offline JMM

• bantend
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #23027 on: July 16, 2012, 08:47:38 am »
Did you?  Nice one.  I thought of your post straight away last night and thinking, fuck, I wish I'd have voiced my concerns earlier.  Phew   ;D

I had £20 on it mate, suprised it was over so quick. I think Khan will be back though hes got the class, he just needs to stick to a gameplan for once.

Offline Devastatin' Dave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23028 on: July 16, 2012, 09:05:09 am »
As someone who only knows a little of boxing, this thread is an education.  I've read a few books about some of the more colourful characters, such as  Tyson, Liston, Johnson and Ketche; but this thread gives me an idea of what I should be looking out for when watching a fight.

Thanks a lot.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:08:02 am by Devastatin' Dave »

Offline Cleary

• Smooth as babies bottoms
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone
« Reply #23029 on: July 16, 2012, 09:18:15 am »
Delighted khan lost, have never hidden the fact I can't stand him!
Went to his first pro fight when he was a fairly nice kid and kept himself to himself, but gone downhill since.
Calling out mayweather is embarrassing, seems even more so now after Saturdays showing!
Think he started brilliantly saturday, didn't sit back after hitting his jab and looked very quick going forward but the glass chin strikes again.
 Next up has got to be brook, which I can see being a good tear up, unless hatton would be tempted by one lat pay day, would certainly sell out a big big stadium.

Glad the whole haye chisora embarrassment is over, good luck to chisora though for donating 20k to Hayes chosen charity.
Vitali next up???

Anyway hope your well lads, and Mirra hope your suffering from some painful anal injury

:wave
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappionted with that attitude. I can assure you it is much more important than that"
 Bill Shankly

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23030 on: July 16, 2012, 10:50:19 am »
Joey C. Carl Froch could have been an Evertonian in a previous life. He is so bitter it is untrue

Firstly, he has to comment on the Haye fight being a farce and complain that he didnt get to run with the olympic torch. And then he calls on Khan to retire, rather than offer words of encouragement or keep his counsel. Still trying everything to get his name out there. I long for the day he gets knocked out but I dont think there is anybody out there who could do it

He is deluded as well. Apparently his loss to Andre Ward was 'very very close'. Not what I and most of the people who watched it thought

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23031 on: July 16, 2012, 10:55:51 am »
The manor of the defeat was what Froch referred to, did you listen to the interview?

He said it was difficult to watch Khan struggle the way he did after he took that left hook (I felt the same way) and he never actually suggested he retire, what he said was, if it was him taking punishment like that then he would retire as he wouldn’t want his family to see him in that state. I think it’s a fair and valid point.

froch also refered to Khan taking similar punishment agianst Prescott and Maidana. If Khan carries on like that then I think we can all agree he has a god chance of sustaining a very serious injury.

Froch came across as concerned, he wasn’t being a c*nt.

"It's a personal decision whether or not you retire, but to get stopped in the fourth round and to be previously knocked out, it's just very, very damaging."

"He’s done fantastically and he’s been a great advert for British boxing and we’re proud of him but one thing you have got to look after in this game is your health."

P.S Kessler never handed Froch's arse to him, very close fight. Ward did, I'll give you that.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:07:37 am by NOTBORNIN1982 »

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23032 on: July 16, 2012, 11:18:07 am »
So I wonder what Froch would have said if he was around in Lewis's time after Rahman 1

Or what he would have had to say about Cotto, who took long drawn out beatings before getting stopped by Pacman and Margarito

This is boxing. People get knocked out occcasionally.

Froch and Khan have previous

edit. He is still bitter

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23033 on: July 16, 2012, 11:24:27 am »
Oh dear, Amir!

But Khan responded: "Carl's always got his little things to say and I'll leave it to that really. If he wants to retire he can retire.

"I'm in a tougher division, I'm fighting better opposition"

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23034 on: July 16, 2012, 11:26:16 am »

froch also refered to Khan taking similar punishment agianst Prescott and Maidana. If Khan carries on like that then I think we can all agree he has a god chance of sustaining a very serious injury.

I think we all agree with this. Whether Khan goes forwards and wins world titles or not he's risking everything unless he changes his style. You can't keep taking heavy shots to the head fight after fight without suffering damage. How can his trainer, management and family let him go out there when he clearly can't protect himself i don't know.

People will talk about all the fighters who got knocked out more than once and still had great careers but alot of them now are showing the results of that damage.

Khan seems to be taking the stance that he got caught with one good shot and thats boxing. The worry thing its not just one shot. Prescott, Maidana, Peterson(thank f*ck he doesn't have power) & Garcia have all landed bombs over and over.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:28:23 am by peachybum »
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Cleary

• Smooth as babies bottoms
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone
« Reply #23035 on: July 16, 2012, 11:46:38 am »
I think we all agree with this. Whether Khan goes forwards and wins world titles or not he's risking everything unless he changes his style. You can't keep taking heavy shots to the head fight after fight without suffering damage. How can his trainer, management and family let him go out there when he clearly can't protect himself i don't know.

People will talk about all the fighters who got knocked out more than once and still had great careers but alot of them now are showing the results of that damage.

Khan seems to be taking the stance that he got caught with one good shot and thats boxing. The worry thing its not just one shot. Prescott, Maidana, Peterson(thank f*ck he doesn't have power) & Garcia have all landed bombs over and over.

Thing is hes right, it only takes one punch with khan then hes fucked, see his legs go completely after one punch Saturday, lucky for him it was towards the end of the round
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappionted with that attitude. I can assure you it is much more important than that"
 Bill Shankly

Offline NOTBORNIN1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23036 on: July 16, 2012, 11:50:55 am »
I think we all agree with this. Whether Khan goes forwards and wins world titles or not he's risking everything unless he changes his style.

The wierd thing is, the lad has the skills. Maybe he's just not intelligent enough to carry defensive/clever tactis into a fight or maybe the fact everyone questions his chin makes him think he has to try and take punch's to prove something?

Any fighter who doesn't have the ability to take a solid shot needs to adapt his style to take the least amount of risk possible. The likes of LaMotta, Monzon, Hagler etc could afford to take massive risk's knowing full well that they could take almost any punch and then let there own attacks go. Khan can't take a solid punch without being staggered, yet he leaves himslef wide open to Garcia's dangerous left.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #23037 on: July 16, 2012, 11:55:09 am »
Wasn't impressed with Khan, at any stage of that fight against Garcia. His punches were lightning quick, in the first, but even as he was unloading his shots, Garcia was catching him with shots in return, and far more effective than Khan's one. I had to mute the sound, as the commentating was excessive. The way they were carrying on, you'd have thought Khan was issuing a masterclass, hugely unprofessional.

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23038 on: July 16, 2012, 12:17:39 pm »
The wierd thing is, the lad has the skills. Maybe he's just not intelligent enough to carry defensive/clever tactis into a fight or maybe the fact everyone questions his chin makes him think he has to try and take punch's to prove something?

Any fighter who doesn't have the ability to take a solid shot needs to adapt his style to take the least amount of risk possible. The likes of LaMotta, Monzon, Hagler etc could afford to take massive risk's knowing full well that they could take almost any punch and then let there own attacks go. Khan can't take a solid punch without being staggered, yet he leaves himslef wide open to Garcia's dangerous left.

are there any examples of boxers who have done this? (unable to take a shot so adapted to not having to)
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline mb1111

• fucking rubbish poster
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23039 on: July 16, 2012, 12:24:54 pm »
are there any examples of boxers who have done this? (unable to take a shot so adapted to not having to)
Wladimir Klitschko.