Author Topic: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)  (Read 174714 times)

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)
« Reply #1760 on: July 1, 2022, 09:10:29 pm »
On the photos front btw, Hinesy married us - this is him in one of the other wee pockets that gets light on our big day a few years back…

Love the tartan Roy, is that your own clan?

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1761 on: July 1, 2022, 10:09:42 pm »
That’s my wife’s dad and one of her brothers and they hired kilts…

Here’s mine Debs…

"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1762 on: July 1, 2022, 10:29:44 pm »
That’s my wife’s dad and one of her brothers and they hired kilts…

Here’s mine Debs…

Nice 👍

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1763 on: July 2, 2022, 12:39:54 pm »
On the photos front btw, Hinesy married us - this is him in one of the other wee pockets that gets light on our big day a few years back…

Is that him on the left eyeing the dog?  Looks like Ged from that profile.

Online .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1764 on: July 3, 2022, 04:25:43 pm »
Went away on Friday night, came back on Saturday morning and the squirrels had broken into the bird feeder, nicked all the sunflower seeds and buried them around the garden. Around 30-50 holes in the lawn. Bastards.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1765 on: July 12, 2022, 08:18:32 am »
Our one does that on next door’s grass but it’s all wild anyway. Grey or red squirrels?

And yeah that’s Hinesy checking in with Bonny the dog. Handsome chap!

Cormorant that service is pretty brilliant eh?

Only update here is that for the first time ever since we arrived here the burn (stream) has gone bone dry and everything’s slowly getting parched. Had our first spuds though, which was magic!
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1766 on: July 12, 2022, 08:35:59 am »
My onions have bolted FFS 😡 the one thing that hasn't been battered by the winds we've had and now the one day of hot weather has conned them into thinking they were on fire!

At least I can freeze them so still use them I've just got to chop 120 of them in one go 🤦

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1767 on: July 12, 2022, 10:22:01 am »
Last year I "acquired" seed pods off a Winter Jasmine and a Broom whilst at the garden centre and they've been in the fridge till a couple of weeks ago when I finally got round to sowing them.

They're supposed to take 4-6wks to germinate but I've already got 2 Broom seedlings out of 8 seeds sown.

I'm still waiting for the Jasmine but there's plenty of time yet.

We also have a callistemon, bottle brush tree, in the garden which is a bit neglected but had lots of seed pods on it which I've managed to get lots of seeds from and this morning I have a seedling 👏👏👏

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #1768 on: July 12, 2022, 11:58:56 am »
Our one does that on next door’s grass but it’s all wild anyway. Grey or red squirrels?

And yeah that’s Hinesy checking in with Bonny the dog. Handsome chap!

Cormorant that service is pretty brilliant eh?

Only update here is that for the first time ever since we arrived here the burn (stream) has gone bone dry and everything’s slowly getting parched. Had our first spuds though, which was magic!

Yeah, was well impressed with it and the community spirit. Checked for something similar in my local area but there isn't anything.

Veg and fruit coming on ok here. Peas just about ripe in their pods. Two chilli plants on the go. One has just started to bear fruit, the other is a little behind and is just starting to flower. Blackberry bush didn't seem to be doing much initially but has put on a massive growth spurt in the last few weeks. Gooseberry bush is a bit more steady but has developed a bit of mildew on the leaves at it's extremities.
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1769 on: July 15, 2022, 09:02:33 am »
Rain!

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1770 on: July 16, 2022, 09:25:05 pm »
Rain!

We're desperate for some here too Roy but it needs to be several days of torrential stuff to have any effect.

This weather's having a bonkers effect on some of my plants though.  I've got an azalea in flower and another nearly flowering and buds appearing on my cyclamen too.  My indoor Christmas cactus is also flowering for the 3rd time since Christmas and the poinsettia is also still going strong.

On the other hand some things are about a month behind where they should be.  My spuds haven't flowered yet but I should have harvested them last week and the onions have now been in for nearly 130 days instead of the usual 80-90 and are still nowhere near looking like they'll be ready any time soon.

The hydrangeas, delphiniums, hollyhocks and chicory aren't in flower yet and the nicotiana, gaillardia, cosmos and coreopsis that I've grown from seed are only just starting to flower.  The lilies have loads of buds but are still days if not weeks away from opening and the gladioli haven't even bothered trying to flower.

The roses however have been spectacular.

How's your garden doing mate?

Online Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1771 on: July 17, 2022, 09:02:28 am »
Rain!

We have rain forecast for most of next week.

Mind,we were supposed to have rain this week and it turned out to be a couple of twenty second spells of drizzle.

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
  • Doubters into believers
« Reply #1772 on: July 17, 2022, 10:12:22 am »

The hydrangeas, delphiniums, hollyhocks and chicory aren't in flower yet and the nicotiana, gaillardia, cosmos and coreopsis that I've grown from seed are only just starting to flower.

One of my favourites them. Only just put some in actually, bit late but they'll be fine. I like watching the bees tapping them for nectar.
My dahlia's are right on time with regard to flowering, and anything else I had as perennials are also on time. I agree about the hydrangeas though, mine still haven't flowered either, I expect given that they're shallow rooters it's been a bit too hot for them.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #1773 on: July 17, 2022, 10:16:47 am »
Too hot for digging and mowing? Count butterflies instead - it is Big Butterfly Count time again.

From Friday 15th July to Sunday 7th August take 15 minutes to count the maximum number of each species you see. Counts can be static in parks, school grounds and gardens, or on walks in fields and forests.

https://bigbutterflycount.butterfly-conservation.org/

There is an interactive map so you can see other counts in your area: https://bigbutterflycount.butterfly-conservation.org/map

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1774 on: July 17, 2022, 11:56:56 am »
One of my favourites them. Only just put some in actually, bit late but they'll be fine. I like watching the bees tapping them for nectar.
My dahlia's are right on time with regard to flowering, and anything else I had as perennials are also on time. I agree about the hydrangeas though, mine still haven't flowered either, I expect given that they're shallow rooters it's been a bit too hot for them.

I've never grown them before but they are lovely and they're all so different too.  Are they perennials do you know or does it depend on which variety they are? 

I'm hoping that everything or most things I've grown from seed will just self seed and keep coming back cos it was far too stressful trying to keep up with all the care and attention that seeds and seedlings need 😂

I've started taking cuttings from everything I like to fill some gaps and I'm doing my perennial seed growing this autumn so they can go out earlier and as bigger plants next year.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1775 on: July 17, 2022, 12:01:32 pm »
Too hot for digging and mowing? Count butterflies instead - it is Big Butterfly Count time again.

From Friday 15th July to Sunday 7th August take 15 minutes to count the maximum number of each species you see. Counts can be static in parks, school grounds and gardens, or on walks in fields and forests.

https://bigbutterflycount.butterfly-conservation.org/

There is an interactive map so you can see other counts in your area: https://bigbutterflycount.butterfly-conservation.org/map

I don't know my butterflies well enough to do this or I would as we do have a few in the garden.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #1776 on: July 17, 2022, 12:53:33 pm »
I don't know my butterflies well enough to do this or I would as we do have a few in the garden.
I am a bit wobbly on some too, but when you sign up they give you a link to a simple guide for the species they are interested in (it can vary from one year to the next). Most on the list are relatively distinctive and by having the count at this time of year most will be adults which also makes ID a bit easier. If I am not sure I take a quick picture and check up when I come in. :)

It is worth highlighting that they also want to hear if folk are not seeing any butterflies at all - tracking the decline is really important as the well being of so many other species is related to butterfly and moth numbers.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1777 on: July 17, 2022, 01:01:51 pm »
I am a bit wobbly on some too, but when you sign up they give you a link to a simple guide for the species they are interested in (it can vary from one year to the next). Most on the list are relatively distinctive and by having the count at this time of year most will be adults which also makes ID a bit easier. If I am not sure I take a quick picture and check up when I come in. :)

It is worth highlighting that they also want to hear if folk are not seeing any butterflies at all - tracking the decline is really important as the well being of so many other species is related to butterfly and moth numbers.

Thanks for that I'll give it a go when the weather sorts itself out, it's far too windy again here so there aren't many about.

Offline El_Frank

• Main Stander
  • Doubters into believers
« Reply #1778 on: July 17, 2022, 06:29:07 pm »

I see loads of different ones on my walks in one particular area, but alas, the c*nts are building new homes all over it.  ::)

I've never grown them before but they are lovely and they're all so different too.  Are they perennials do you know or does it depend on which variety they are? 

I don't know any that aren't annuals, but they seed like mad so you can get loads from them for next year anyway. First time I put them in I put them in multiple locations, I probably had about ten different lots. They came up very mixed in terms of colour, which gave a nice variety, although I did have my favourites and thankfully got about two or three of that one. They smell nice too and flower for ages, and as mentioned, the bees love them - all good. Only problem is they grow towards the sun and they grow to quite a big bushy size so you really need to put some plant supports around them if they're going to grow out into undesirable locations - like some of mine which grew out across the garden and met with the mower a couple of times.

Has anyone here got an established California Lilac? I'm looking at maybe getting one but want something that will flower for longer than a month and preferably be able to be grown into a small tree kind of shape (trunk and canopy of flowers). I've been looking at different varieties but can't settle on one.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1779 on: July 17, 2022, 11:38:20 pm »
Wow Roy, what an amazing garden. I should drop in here far more than I do. And you got the compost from a local tip? The only thing I put in my compost bin to be taken away is bindweed and nettle roots so god knows how you didn't get a jungle of bindweed!

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1780 on: July 17, 2022, 11:40:55 pm »
Nettles aid composting.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1781 on: July 18, 2022, 03:14:01 pm »
I don't know any that aren't annuals, but they seed like mad so you can get loads from them for next year anyway. First time I put them in I put them in multiple locations, I probably had about ten different lots. They came up very mixed in terms of colour, which gave a nice variety, although I did have my favourites and thankfully got about two or three of that one. They smell nice too and flower for ages, and as mentioned, the bees love them - all good. Only problem is they grow towards the sun and they grow to quite a big bushy size so you really need to put some plant supports around them if they're going to grow out into undesirable locations - like some of mine which grew out across the garden and met with the mower a couple of times.

Has anyone here got an established California Lilac? I'm looking at maybe getting one but want something that will flower for longer than a month and preferably be able to be grown into a small tree kind of shape (trunk and canopy of flowers). I've been looking at different varieties but can't settle on one.

Mine are all different, some taller than others and a mix of colours.

I knew they grew quite tall but didn't realise how big the foliage was so I'll need to move some of them in spring as they've crowded other things but that's good as it means more gaps can be filled.

I can't help you with the California lilac unfortunately.  I've recently put one in,  I think it's the repens one I got as I didn't want one that grew too big.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1782 on: July 20, 2022, 09:01:14 am »
Wow Roy, what an amazing garden. I should drop in here far more than I do. And you got the compost from a local tip? The only thing I put in my compost bin to be taken away is bindweed and nettle roots so god knows how you didn't get a jungle of bindweed!

Cheers sir! It's a learning experience - things are coming up just now that are supposed to reach such and such a 'maximum height' and in the light restricted spot they're longer and leggier. And yeah, we got another 3 tubs on Saturday from the tip - the bit with the cardboard is growing out steadily to reclaim the ground.

Fruit starting to come now. No pears though - don't understand the pear trees.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #1783 on: July 20, 2022, 02:46:37 pm »
So Hot last couple of days even my Alocasia in pots look frazzled 😳

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #1784 on: July 20, 2022, 02:51:44 pm »
Hello everybody, moving to a house with a garden for the first time in a few weeks and was wondering whether it's worthwhile getting a compost bin and how best to use them. Smallish front lawn (probably 30ft x 6 ft) and back garden probably around 40x30 foot. Trying to avoid the hassle of a garden waste bin and the charges etc.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1785 on: July 25, 2022, 08:26:54 am »
I'd 100% recommend it personally mate if you can find the space OK - I'll try and post pics of instructions to make your own out of the Gardeners World magazine. Will try and do that today. You can pick up the daleks on gumtree for a tenner or so (at least you can round these parts) or this guy is really helpful - this is one type that's dead easy to do - you just need chicken wire, a pallet, and some cable ties: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZVN-D8lcJV/

Rain galore up here. It's been like the monsoon! From dried up burns to burst drains in a flash.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 09:16:30 am by royhendo »

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1786 on: July 25, 2022, 08:31:35 am »
Hello everybody, moving to a house with a garden for the first time in a few weeks and was wondering whether it's worthwhile getting a compost bin and how best to use them. Smallish front lawn (probably 30ft x 6 ft) and back garden probably around 40x30 foot. Trying to avoid the hassle of a garden waste bin and the charges etc.

Composting is the way to go mate.  Not only does it save on the cost of the council taking it but it saves you money on not needing to buy compost for your plants, beds, borders, containers and baskets.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1787 on: July 29, 2022, 09:53:17 am »
How did you get on with it Bradders? If you were here you could have had our old dalek.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1788 on: August 13, 2022, 09:18:46 am »
Well it looks like my garden is finally succumbing to the drought with most of the established shrubs shutting down hopefully for self preservation rather than dying.

We've not even had it that hot or dry as many other places so no idea how they're coping 😔

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1789 on: August 13, 2022, 04:30:32 pm »
Well it looks like my garden is finally succumbing to the drought with most of the established shrubs shutting down hopefully for self preservation rather than dying.

We've not even had it that hot or dry as many other places so no idea how they're coping 😔

Everything is parched and heat-stressed down here.  We haven't had any rain for ages!

Lots of brown everywhere!

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1790 on: September 7, 2022, 07:57:43 pm »
Well my garden is recovering well after the rain with plenty of things still flowering, in fact there's things flowering that haven't flowered before 😂

Been really busy getting lots of tree saplings planted and starting to get the woodland wildlife pond looking more like it should although there's still a long way to go.

How's everyone else getting on with there's?

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #1791 on: September 8, 2022, 06:55:04 am »
Still having fun with mine here. For context for those that don't know, it's a patio that I do container gardening in. Bit of a summary below:

Peas - easy as pie, wouldn't grow them again though. Too much watering that was a bit of a pain but the main thing was that the yield was pitiful.

Chillies - started two plants off this year. Red Demon came on pretty quickly and bore fruits about 2-3 inches in length. Then got decimated by snails and ended up looking like a twig. The other plant, an Apache, has been much slower but is still very healthy. Got about 30 chillies on it at the moment. More than enough for me and have started giving them away to friends. Going to try and overwinter it on a windowsill.

Fruit bushes (blackberry and gooseberry) - coming on fine. Will have to see if they fruit next year.

Wildflowers - successful for the 2nd year running. Replaced now with a dwarf connifer to provide a bit of winter interest. Will do them again next year in a different spot.

Just planted some heather for the same reason about winter. Did the same with a Japanese Laurel a while ago and it has settled in nicely.

Had a mix of annuals similar to last year where some that did brilliantly previously (petunias for example) have struggled a bit this year but the opposite for others (like osteospermum) have beasted it. Not really sure why, maybe something to do with it being a lot windier this year.

Planning for next year - pretty much ran out of groundspace so will have to go vertical.
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1792 on: September 8, 2022, 07:49:23 am »
Sounds like you're enjoying yourself and had a successful year.  I think the weather generally has caused odd growing scenarios for us all.

Everyone I know has had particular problems with slugs and snails yet we've not had any any for some reason.  Maybe because we have hedgehogs, blackbirds and thrushes.

Our roses have been and still are, spectacular and all the stuff I grew from seed, nicotiana, coreopsis, gaillardia, cosmos and rudbeckia have filled the borders with colour and fragrance.  Considering we're on a hill with coastal views we've been amazed they're still upright 😯

Weird things though.  My azaleas have had a 2nd flowering since early July, some hydrangeas are only just starting to flower and my peonies and spring bulbs are already coming up 🤷

Planning for next year.

I'm extending the veg plot but building raised beds instead of growing in the ground mainly to stop the rabbits, pheasants and wind destroying things but also so I can grow soft fruits like blueberries.

I've also got a couple of areas that could do with a bit of a clear out too, not of plants but ivy and brambles. 

They're both underneath well established, mature shrubs and trees so difficult to get to even on hands and knees but they provide me with some shade to grow plants that need protection from the sun, something I don't have a lot of.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2022, 07:51:24 am by reddebs »

Online Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1793 on: September 9, 2022, 10:40:57 am »
Well my garden is recovering well after the rain with plenty of things still flowering, in fact there's things flowering that haven't flowered before 😂

Been really busy getting lots of tree saplings planted and starting to get the woodland wildlife pond looking more like it should although there's still a long way to go.

How's everyone else getting on with there's?

The grass is green again,that'll do for now.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1794 on: September 9, 2022, 04:07:39 pm »
The grass is green again,that'll do for now.

We've mown the grass today for the first time in weeks and yes it's pretty green again here too.

Online Slippers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1795 on: September 9, 2022, 05:48:12 pm »
We've mown the grass today for the first time in weeks and yes it's pretty green again here too.

The council tried to mow the patch of grass behind next door's place last week.

Half the street had to take their washing in because of the dust storm it created.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1796 on: September 15, 2022, 02:38:54 pm »
Weird things though.  My azaleas have had a 2nd flowering since early July, some hydrangeas are only just starting to flower and my peonies and spring bulbs are already coming up 🤷

Debs, what causes stuff to flower twice? One of our Rhody bushes has just started to flower and I'm pretty sure it did so with the rest of them earlier in the year too.

Unless I'm mistaken and this one is just very late like your hydrangeas?

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1797 on: September 17, 2022, 08:42:47 am »
Debs, what causes stuff to flower twice? One of our Rhody bushes has just started to flower and I'm pretty sure it did so with the rest of them earlier in the year too.

Unless I'm mistaken and this one is just very late like your hydrangeas?

I've put it down to the weird weather this year mate. 

We had a very wet and windy winter here but not really cold, then we had barely any rain or warmth through May and June when everything should have been growing, then extremely hot weather and dry through July and August.

We noticed it with things like potatoes.  They took ages to get going then each time they looked settled they got battered with strong winds well into June and then got frazzled in the heat.

They were late developing, never flowered and was a poor crop once we dug them up.

The onions too were a good 5/6wks late but at least didn't bolt and go to seed.

As for azaleas and rhodis they like the cold weather and flower in spring then during summer start developing their buds ready for the following year. 

The one that's still flowering was an indoor one bought as a Christmas gift last year.  I potted it up in spring after it finished flowering and put it outside where it got afternoon sun only. 

When it started to warm up I fed it and then put it under some bushes in the shade but sheltered.  I expected buds to form but not for it to flower so I brought it out but kept it shaded and it's still flowering now 🤷
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 09:04:43 am by reddebs »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1798 on: September 17, 2022, 02:49:19 pm »
Only thing I had a problem with were my sweet peas,gave a decent display for a bit then just went to shit.

Everything else grew well,not everything gave lots of flowers but I was at fault as not all of them were given the best of starts,fully expect them to do great things next year though.

The Begonias have been amazing all summer & I only lost 4 out of the 20 corns that I planted.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1799 on: September 30, 2022, 12:49:10 pm »
Things are coming along nicely in the woodland pond and meadow area now.

We've planted 2 hazel, 2 silver birch, 2 yellow willow, a rowen and a hawthorn which thankfully were staked last week before the gales arrived.

We've also moved a wegeila and some hypericum from elsewhere in the garden and I've pre ordered a 5ft bare root crab apple tree.

There's also crocosmia, chicory, foxgloves, sweet rocket, iris, oxalis, elephants ears, violets, toadflax, catnip, bog primrose, hostas, astilbe, hesperantha and giant rhubarb also been planted.

Yesterday we short mowed and scarified where the flower meadow will be and I've sown it with a mix of native poppies, cornflower, yellow rattle, ragged robin, mallow, nigella and candytuft.

Now we're onto building the raised beds for the veg plot as I've been round the island collecting lots of free pallets.

We've made a start dismantling them but there's over 40mtrs of them to do so it'll take a while 😂

How's everyone else's projects coming along?