Author Topic: Premium Bonds  (Read 32279 times)

Offline ealsc15

• Kopite
  • Hey Jude
Premium Bonds
« on: February 3, 2006, 07:19:40 pm »
Hi,

Has any of you got any and have you ever won ?

I put in a monthly amount and have won a few times now so all good.

YNWA

Offline NA_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Premium Bonds
« Reply #1 on: January 3, 2014, 06:25:05 pm »
Sorry to bump and old topic...

But does anyone have Premium Bonds? are they worthwhile or waste of time?

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #2 on: January 3, 2014, 06:28:43 pm »
Hope you don't wait 8 years for an answer mate...

Tick-tock, tick-tock.....

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #3 on: January 3, 2014, 06:49:19 pm »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 3, 2014, 06:51:36 pm »
It was a running joke in our family - me arl man used to win fifty or a hundred quid four or five times a year with these. Nice little bit extra for the nags and ale.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #5 on: January 3, 2014, 06:55:00 pm »

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 3, 2014, 07:38:57 pm »
We had a financial expert in work the other day and she said for short term it may be worth a flutter but I know the returns have been greatly reduced in recent years. Certainly wouldn't invest in them for any great length of time.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7 on: January 3, 2014, 07:46:56 pm »
There's pros and cons with everything but if you're looking to save for long term then I think the fact that you can withdraw at any time, whilst still having a chance to win some money makes them worthwhile. Looking into getting some myself soon.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 3, 2014, 08:12:21 pm »
The Father in Law has bought loads for the grandkids, my niece has won over a grand in 7 years, but she did start with a gransd worth which built up to 10 grand, my 5 yr old Adam has won over £200 from 2 grands worth and the 3yr old Ben has won over £100 on a grands worth. Since Oct the wife has won £75, Adam has won £50 and Ben £25.

They've now all got £10k in premium bonds, he upped them all in Oct when he had a heart scare.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline NA_

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 3, 2014, 09:53:06 pm »
Cheers guys thanks for the info, the probability calculator looks really good  :thumbup

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 3, 2014, 10:14:53 pm »
7 years ago I purchased £500 worth.

3 times I have won £50 and once £25.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 3, 2014, 10:18:09 pm »
I'm in and never won. 100 pound

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 3, 2014, 11:48:52 pm »
7 years ago I purchased £500 worth.

3 times I have won £50 and once £25.
Just as a matter of interest, was one of your wins within 3 months of buying them (having in mind that you are ineligible to win for a month)?

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 12:55:45 pm »
Weird bump, but saves starting a new topic...

Anyone else had any luck with these?
I know they ain't as good as they ised to be, but the wife and I have put a chunk of money into this as interest rates are shite.
Nah.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 01:15:49 pm »

I know they ain't as good as they ised to be, but the wife and I have put a chunk of money into this as interest rates are shite.

£600 won this so far year, usually around £600 to £700 a year. There is a decent amount held by my wife and kids though.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 01:18:45 pm »
I've had some for about 40 years and never won a fucking penny  ::)
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2021, 01:57:28 pm »
My Mum seems to win most months.  She has got quite a few quid invested though. Much better return that just putting it in a savings account or ISA.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2021, 02:04:49 pm »
I've got the max, £50k and to be honest we've got a lot more in ours. The single biggest prize I've won in 7 years is £100 although I've had £150 in 25's several times. I get an annual return more that if it was in the bank but prob not in another good investment fund. But I wouldn't change anything, there's always the monthly hope of winning a wedge risk free.
That's just my opinion.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2021, 02:09:48 pm »

Yeah I win about £50 - £200 a month.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2021, 02:12:21 pm »
This is giving me food for thought. I've got money sitting in an ISA earning nothing, may be worth a flutter.

Is ERNIE still based in Lytham St Anne's? :D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2021, 02:24:39 pm »
This is giving me food for thought. I've got money sitting in an ISA earning nothing, may be worth a flutter.

Is ERNIE still based in Lytham St Anne's? :D

Yeah if you have money literally earning nothing then you are likely to at least equal that with the Premium Bonds - so worth a punt
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2021, 02:33:34 pm »
If I remember right you will "earn" about 1% in prizes per year. Obviously the more you have in there the less variation there will be in that percentage whereas if you only have a small amount you might win nothing or you might get quite a bit higher than that. Then you always have the very small chance of winning a big prize.

Better than normal savings or cash ISAs but depending on how risk averse you are you will make better money in a S&S ISA.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2021, 04:06:49 pm »
This is really interesting, it gives you how much people won in October and the value of their holding.
https://www.nsandi.com/prize-checker/winners

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2021, 04:09:02 pm »
This is really interesting, it gives you how much people won in October and the value of their holding.
https://www.nsandi.com/prize-checker/winners

How can you check if you hold any? Think I got some as a Christening present! Used to get the odd £10 win but no idea now. Maybe the big money letters are still being sent to my parents’ old address!

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2021, 04:43:15 pm »
I've got £7500 in bonds, I'm lucky if I win £50 a year. I'll leave it there until I need it just in case I get lucky with one of the bigger prizes.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2021, 04:45:09 pm »
How can you check if you hold any? Think I got some as a Christening present! Used to get the odd £10 win but no idea now. Maybe the big money letters are still being sent to my parents’ old address!
https://www.nsandi.com/help/lost-touch-with-nsandi/track-lost-investments

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2021, 05:02:50 pm »

You have to jump through major hoops to get the address changed, I just left mine with my parents as it was easier.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2021, 05:04:19 pm »
You have to jump through major hoops to get the address changed, I just left mine with my parents as it was easier.

They’ve moved too. Some lucky punter is probably getting £25 every ten years at my expense. :D

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2021, 05:06:59 pm »
They’ve moved too. Some lucky punter is probably getting £25 every ten years at my expense. :D

;D

They're so in the dark ages they send winnings as a cheque! I only know cos we got some sent to the wrong address and had to return them, not because I've ever bloody won any! :butt

Offline Millie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2021, 05:07:39 pm »
;D

They're so in the dark ages they send winnings as a cheque! I only know cos we got some sent to the wrong address and had to return them, not because I've ever bloody won any! :butt

They don't do that anymore.   They pay direct into your bank now.

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2021, 05:08:41 pm »
They don't do that anymore.   They pay direct into your bank now.

Is that recent? This was in the last year we got a cheque sent out accidentally. Right faff sorting it out as well, it was like they didn't know what to do and it was all on us to sort out.

Offline Millie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2021, 05:21:08 pm »
Is that recent? This was in the last year we got a cheque sent out accidentally. Right faff sorting it out as well, it was like they didn't know what to do and it was all on us to sort out.

It's fairly recent yes.  I only know because my Mum used to receive cheques and they requested her bank details because they would no longer be sending them.

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2021, 05:36:10 pm »
Bloody hell Nick you need to sort all that mate. NS&I will help you, theres numbers and an on-line chat but you'll need provide a lot of evidence I guess.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2021, 05:36:41 pm »
It's fairly recent yes.  I only know because my Mum used to receive cheques and they requested her bank details because they would no longer be sending them.

:thumbup

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2021, 06:22:43 pm »
I've got the max, £50k and to be honest we've got a lot more in ours. The single biggest prize I've won in 7 years is £100 although I've had £150 in 25's several times. I get an annual return more that if it was in the bank but prob not in another good investment fund. But I wouldn't change anything, there's always the monthly hope of winning a wedge risk free.
That's just my opinion.

Missus and kids have got £85k between them and I've told her we can move the money into fixed bonds for 5 years at 2% but she's not prepared to move the money.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2021, 06:26:16 pm »
Fucking hell, there's some minted RAWKites about. :o I'd be happy with £85 in mine!  :-[

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2021, 06:32:13 pm »
Fucking hell, there's some minted RAWKites about. :o I'd be happy with £85 in mine!  :-[

They've been really luck in that the wife's Dad was really good with money, had a huge pension from Norweb, owned a Black Taxi after he retired and sold the plate for about £40k, had a reg plate TAX 1E and another 50 BK. He was dead generous with his 4 grandkids and when he died the missus added to the bonds.

I've not got a pot to piss in ;D

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2021, 07:43:33 pm »
How odd this just got bumped. I emptied my stocks and shares ISA (only had about 3k in it) because it did my head in on the days it went down ;D so I put it into premium bonds a few days ago.

Everything I read says that you're more likely to make money by holding in a fixed term account, and the sweet spot for "more likely to make more than in a savings account" is 5k - so I'll build up to that and see how I get on.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2021, 09:55:09 pm »
How odd this just got bumped. I emptied my stocks and shares ISA (only had about 3k in it) because it did my head in on the days it went down ;D so I put it into premium bonds a few days ago.

Everything I read says that you're more likely to make money by holding in a fixed term account, and the sweet spot for "more likely to make more than in a savings account" is 5k - so I'll build up to that and see how I get on.
Good luck Jake mate, I hope you get hundreds of those £25 wins while I finally get a big one :)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2021, 09:57:16 pm »
I've probably mentioned this on here before but my dad died when I was 2, my sister was 6, she was fucking skint and she won £1k in about 1969. Proper saved her from going under. I suspect that's why I have a bit of an affiliation with them.