Author Topic: General Running Thread  (Read 795134 times)

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
Re: General Running Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 4, 2007, 04:43:37 am »
just saw the news about Ryan Shay.  I wanted to make it out to the trials today, but family issues came up. 

RIP Ryan. 

Best of luck anyone running NYC.  Great course and great crowd

Pheeny

« Reply #121 on: November 4, 2007, 04:40:47 pm »
Come on Paula...

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: November 4, 2007, 05:21:19 pm »
Great win by Paula.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Pheeny

« Reply #123 on: November 4, 2007, 06:04:12 pm »

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #124 on: November 4, 2007, 09:13:52 pm »
how stressful were the last few miles of that race? amazing win by paula :)
sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

Pheeny

« Reply #125 on: November 4, 2007, 10:17:08 pm »
how stressful were the last few miles of that race? amazing win by paula :)
I watched it with the volume off so thankfully missed the crap coms from Cram and Brendan...

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #126 on: November 4, 2007, 10:26:35 pm »
I watched it with the volume off so thankfully missed the crap coms from Cram and Brendan...

Isn't Foster the most irritating man commenting on sport on the airwaves?  Boring, monotonous and full of "terkin wooo-err on booord". 
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #127 on: November 4, 2007, 11:46:48 pm »
Isn't Foster the most irritating man commenting on sport on the airwaves?  Boring, monotonous and full of "terkin wooo-err on booord". 

lol!!!
sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #128 on: November 5, 2007, 10:43:40 am »

And a very rich man after ripping thousands of people off at the great north run every year!!

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #129 on: November 5, 2007, 09:32:44 pm »
Just got confirmation of entry to the Edinburgh half marathon in March.  :-\

Offline nyctex

• God Bless America
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Close your eyes...and imagine it's Jason McAteer
« Reply #130 on: November 9, 2007, 04:38:37 pm »
not a bad effort by Lance either   :o

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3095115&type=story

Lance Armstrong shaves 13 minutes off NYC Marathon time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Lance Armstrong trained harder for his second marathon, and it showed.

Armstrong improved his time by 13 minutes at the New York City Marathon on Sunday, and didn't have to battle shin splints.

"I enjoyed it much more this year," said Armstrong, who finished 214th among the men in 2 hours, 46 minutes, 43 seconds. "Last year, I had no idea what to expect with 26.2 miles, and I paid for it."

The seven-time Tour de France winner trained harder, was injury-free and drew upon the experience of running in the showcase event. Last year, he called the five-borough race "the hardest physical thing I have ever done."

About 130 runners competed in the marathon for Team LIVESTRONG, which raises funds for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. The group expected to bring in more than $500,000 dollars for cancer research and programs.

Armstrong looked fresh in his yellow jersey at the finish after hobbling in last year.

"I came in better prepared, but perhaps I started faster than I wanted," Armstrong said. "I sort of got out there and realized I was either going to finish OK or be crawling home."

Armstrong said he needed about four months to recover from the shin splints last year, when he finished 823rd among the men. This time, he trained more consistently and included faster 18- and 19-mile runs.

The already-fit Armstrong dropped seven pounds, weighing 173, to help reach his goal of finishing under 2:50.

"Just like in cycling, your body weight is a huge factor," Armstrong said. "It's no accident that the best in the world weigh 120 pounds."

Mike Richter, the former New York Rangers goalie, ran his debut marathon in 3:54:35. He's working to fight childhood obesity as part of the national ING Run for Something Better program.

"I loved it, it was beautiful going through the city," Richter said. "People were unbelievable. I started between the men's pros and the fire department."

The winningest goalie in Rangers history, who retired because of a series of concussions, completed an ironman triathlon this summer in Lake Placid, N.Y.

Tim Borland wrapped up his 63rd marathon in 63 days on Sunday, all for research toward a rare childhood genetic disease. The disease -- it's name shortened to AT -- causes progressive muscle loss and often death by the teens and early 20s.

Borland ran in marathons across the country for 16-year-old Cathyrn Achilles of Hollister, Calif.

A personal trainer, he ran the first marathon Sept. 23 in Anaheim, Calif. With his wife Michelle and two young children in tow in a 29-foot RV, they racked up 14,000 miles and raised $700,000 along the way.

"It was great meeting a lot of neat families and kids," Borland said. "If they can have such a passion for life, I can compete in 63 marathons."

Armstrong said work with his foundation has taken him to Europe, Canada and Mexico in the last three months. He's not interested in training for much faster times.

"My lifestyle doesn't lead to that right now because I travel all the time and I hang out with my kids," he said. "(I) still like to go out and have fun and eat what I want and have a beer every now and again. I don't want to cut that out in order to run faster.

"I've done a lot of things in my life fast, so it's now time to do them just for fun and recreation."

He's not sure if he'll run the marathon next year.

"Next year could be another challenge, another sports challenge, so give me a few months," Armstrong said.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2007, 01:00:57 am »
not a bad effort by Lance either   :o

That is an outstanding effort!

Anyone on here done the Rome marathon? I've entered but haven't sent off my health form yet - never been required to complete one before and was wondering how essential it is?
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2007, 03:00:56 am »
For those of you who run regularly, what would the major benefits be of running shortish distances (5k for example) say, four times a week at a steady pace? Mixed in with regular workouts and other CV stuff that is... will repeating the same distance have much of an effect at all, or would it be better to mix it up?

I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2007, 03:19:19 am »
For those of you who run regularly, what would the major benefits be of running shortish distances (5k for example) say, four times a week at a steady pace? Mixed in with regular workouts and other CV stuff that is... will repeating the same distance have much of an effect at all, or would it be better to mix it up?

If you mix up sessions, even over short distances, between running at a steady pace and interval training you'll notice improve your overall fitness pretty quickly.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2007, 03:27:48 am »
If you mix up sessions, even over short distances, between running at a steady pace and interval training you'll notice improve your overall fitness pretty quickly.

What would you recommend for someone trying boost their overall fitness levels asap then? I'll be playing footie twice a week, training as well, and doing my regular weights sessions... but I've never had a proper CV set-up to use consistently to help get me in top shape. (It can include running, bikes, rowing, steppers, climbers, elipticals... all the usuals I guess).
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2007, 11:52:39 am »
I don't know if there is a way to get fit quickly - most training guides I've follow are six weeks minimum - but by following a training plan, such as a 10k one from www.halhigdon.com, you should see improvement in your CV ability in a short space of time, and then notice it improve steadily as you go.

Footie, with its stop-start nature, will be like intervals, but you could add a session as a run. Say five minutes warm-up, then six sets of 45-seconds hard running, followed by 60-seconds recovery each time. Cool down with five-ten minutes of jogging.

For stamina, you need to run for longer periods. If you're playing football and doing weights you probably don't need, or want, to have marathon stamina levels, but running four or five miles three times a week will be a good start. If you enjoy the running, enter a 10k event as a target; medals for your hard work are very rewarding!

Pheeny

« Reply #136 on: November 14, 2007, 03:37:57 pm »
well chuffed.Just done a 10k with absolutely no back pain.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: November 14, 2007, 10:53:36 pm »
Well in, Pheeny. Long may it continue!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2007, 11:56:50 pm »
I could have easily have run a marathon - they're only about 4 or 5 inches long.

But then they changed the name to snickers - and my dream had gone
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2007, 07:17:37 pm »
I'm doing the Bath Half Marathon in March. It's my first proper run. I was going to start training this week, but don't seem to have recovered from my groin strain yet. I'm off to see a physio tomorrow though. Got some decent running trainers on order too.

Now I just need to cut down the drinking.  ;D
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2007, 07:53:07 pm »
Good for you, Mister S! Very impressed. Let me know if you decide to do the GNR as well! ;)

When you're next on MSN come and shame me into at least a 10K in the new year - the new job is making me horribly sedentary...

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2007, 07:59:03 pm »
Good for you, Mister S! Very impressed. Let me know if you decide to do the GNR as well! ;)

When you're next on MSN come and shame me into at least a 10K in the new year - the new job is making me horribly sedentary...
What's the basic info on that? Like when is it for a start? :wave
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2007, 01:22:25 pm »
The date for the 2008 race has not been released but it is usually late Sept/early Oct.
Info can be found at www.greatrun.org
There are plenty of better half marathons where you can run faster but if you want the crowd thats the one to do.

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2007, 08:20:45 pm »
Now I have started looking at target times... I reckon I should be aiming for what Dave can do a full marathon in. ::)

Can anyone give me a bit of advice? Due to an injury I have only just started training (I still have plenty of time). I have a good pair of trainers and that, but I keep getting a really achey shoulder when I run. I am told that this is because I am not relaxing my upper body... I am trying to - anyone got any tips for that?

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #144 on: December 20, 2007, 07:44:21 am »
Now I have started looking at target times... I reckon I should be aiming for what Dave can do a full marathon in. ::)

Can anyone give me a bit of advice? Due to an injury I have only just started training (I still have plenty of time). I have a good pair of trainers and that, but I keep getting a really achey shoulder when I run. I am told that this is because I am not relaxing my upper body... I am trying to - anyone got any tips for that?

It might be stitch - the shoulder is a pain referral site for the diaphragm. It will be felt as quite a sharp, stabbing pain rather than an ache that develops gradually.

but could just be muscular - your arms are fairly heavy!

Warm them up before you go running.  Clench and loosen both shoulders several times then rotate them (like shrug and circle) until they feel looser.  Some people reckon loosely holding a pencil in each hand works.  Think that's a bit daft meself but it could work.
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #145 on: December 20, 2007, 07:28:44 pm »
Did about 4 mile tonight and shoulders were fine. I never really bothered warming my upper body up before.

Feels good to be training now, I had visions of getting to Feb and having only done about 2 miles.

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: December 20, 2007, 11:02:13 pm »
Did about 4 mile tonight and shoulders were fine. I never really bothered warming my upper body up before.

Feels good to be training now, I had visions of getting to Feb and having only done about 2 miles.

Well done mate. You will be suprised how quickly it becomes easier if you stick with it. Half marathons this year then who knows.....

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2007, 04:03:17 pm »
Well done mate. You will be suprised how quickly it becomes easier if you stick with it. Half marathons this year then who knows.....
My mate is trying to get me to do the Snowdonia marathon, but I don't know if I have the desire to do that.

How much harder is training when you have been drinking black sambuka the night before >:(

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 6, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »
Adam are you still training?

Any body else traing for London this year?

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2008, 12:30:48 am »
Great North Run is October 5th this year Adam :wave

Entries are open if you fancy it? Not sure how many have been allocated by ballot so far.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 10:41:41 pm by Elli »

Offline all_funkt_up

• ....the valentino of the boards... really knows how to treat a lady.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget. Never Buy the Sun.
    • The Daily Punt
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2008, 12:49:23 am »
I'm doing the Bath Half Marathon in March. It's my first proper run. I was going to start training this week, but don't seem to have recovered from my groin strain yet. I'm off to see a physio tomorrow though. Got some decent running trainers on order too.

Now I just need to cut down the drinking.  ;D

I have signed up for a half marathon in Redcar in April & am aiming for 1:45 which I will do. I refuse to fail. 9 weeks to go mind and my split at 10k is still around 55 minutes so I have a fair bit of work to do to get me to that level...
Roy. Shut up. Just shut up.

Betting Banter and Stuff

http://thedailypunt.com/forum/

"Zlatan was released by Ajax because of his fucking attitude. Released by Juve cos just not good enough to play alongside Trezeguet.
He won't score or make an assist at

Offline Voni

• One from the top please Carol
  • Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2008, 10:03:59 am »
Does anyone have a good training schedule for 1/2 marathons or 10ks?

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2008, 05:17:24 pm »
Does anyone have a good training schedule for 1/2 marathons or 10ks?

What sort of running experience do you have??

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2008, 10:39:30 pm »
Hi RAWK Runners :wave

Off to Rome tomorrow morning for the marathon on Sunday. I'm too heavy and haven't trained as well as I would have liked, but hopefully I can battle round and bring back marathon medal number four with me. Will update once I finish (sometime on Tuesday probably!)

Hope everyone else is running well,

Ben

Offline lfcdave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2008, 10:12:09 am »
Hi RAWK Runners :wave

Off to Rome tomorrow morning for the marathon on Sunday. I'm too heavy and haven't trained as well as I would have liked, but hopefully I can battle round and bring back marathon medal number four with me. Will update once I finish (sometime on Tuesday probably!)

Hope everyone else is running well,

Ben

Good luck Ben. Grind it out!! :wave

Offline Voni

• One from the top please Carol
  • Legacy Fan
  • Actively Apathetic
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2008, 10:13:43 am »
Good luck Ben!! Let us know how you get on.

I'd love to be able to do a marathon but I'll do this event instead www.mud-madness.com

Offline AdamS

• Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2008, 09:32:35 am »
I did the Bath Half Marathon yesterday. I was heading for a time of about 1.45/1.50, but with 9.5 miles gone my knee stopped working and I basically had to hobble the last three and a bit miles. I crossed the line though, so I can still collect the sponsorship money. I ended up with about 2.07.48 finishing time.

I suppose it's a case of, is my Bath Half full, or empty?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 10:44:20 am by AdamS »

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2008, 10:31:00 am »
Bloody hell Rome was tough. Knew I was too heavy going in, but thought I could still get around 4 hours. Managed it in 4h26m37s - those cobblestones took their toll! A long way off my PB (3h32m) but still happy to have finished my fourth marathon (a lot of people looked like they were struggling). Now to shift the excess weight and find a good autumn event.

Offline Elli

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: March 19, 2008, 04:44:02 pm »
Well played you two :wave

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2008, 04:45:09 pm »
I get tired when I think about running a  tap.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.