Author Topic: Golf - how bad are you?  (Read 288321 times)

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Golf - how bad are you?
« Reply #3760 on: September 20, 2021, 09:17:56 pm »
Taking a day off of work on Friday, my first since I started my new job in June. Told the wife the only thing I want to do that day is just get a round of golf in, so currently looking at tee times at courses I haven't yet played in the area. Can't wait, weather looks great, love this stupid sport.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #3761 on: September 26, 2021, 07:56:37 pm »
Currently in hate the game mode

Played Radisson limavady today. Absolute wash out

Nearly walked off and was hoping someone would come.on course and tell us to pack in
Lost two balls on second hole.

4th hole. Good chance of birdie and the ball literally vanished into thin air. Played second shot to left of the fairway. Excellent angle for a pitch and putt birdie. Ball gone

15th hole. Hit tee shot just to edge of green. Brilliant shot.  Ball again disappeared into thin air. Was a short par 4. Saw it bounce just off green and then nothing.

Got absolutely drowned from second hole.

Brolly got stuck in my bag. Now in a million pieces.

Zip broke on pocket of waterproofs   

Golf shoes in bits

Plus one lad badly injured himself in a fall. Apart from that it's been great
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3762 on: September 29, 2021, 02:00:35 am »
Big Ryder Cup weekend at the club this weekend
Playing 3 matches - hopefully the back holds

Sat AM = 2 man scramble
Sat PM = Best ball
Sun - Singles

32 playing, piss up Friday night and the drawing of teams

Last 2 rounds 75 / 84 so not expecting anything

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3763 on: October 2, 2021, 04:32:55 pm »
Got back playing golf again this year having only being playing once or twice a year for the last 18 years. Have caught the bug again so gradually trying to build the equipment each payday.

Playing 3 links courses next week and cannot wait. Enniscrone on Thursday, Co Sligo - Rosses Point on Fri and Strandill on Saturday. The bag is well stocked with balls in preparation of it.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3764 on: October 2, 2021, 07:35:23 pm »
Some amazing courses there

I just had three rounds at roe park. Great course but tough. Light rough doesn't exist. If in rough it's heavy all the way

However I've decided before I play local next Friday I'm only going to short game area. Absolutely no doubt I'm.dropping 20 shots a game.there between shite approaches and chips and putts

A good short game can easily make up a lot

Luckily won a few quid this week invested in new footjoys for £59, lob wedge £12 and two new gloves

Shoes were in a local shop as the ones in sports direct got bad reviews. Hopefully the footjoys are decent. They could have been dearer

Lob wedge is for odd shot for over a bunker. For £12 it's worth a go. I know it's a sports direct slazenger job but a case of giving it a try and seeing how it works.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3765 on: October 4, 2021, 03:11:17 pm »
Some great courses posted above. A wee bit jealous

We played our big Ryder cup weekend 16v16
2 ball scramble
Best ball
Individual match play

Won our scramble 5&3. We had to give 10shots to the other team and we were 5 under gross after 15. Both of us played lights out

Best ball we gave 24 shots away. Lost on last hole to a double chip. Guy duffs it and on follow through knocks it to 6inches. Double hits are legal now. Without the second hit he’d still be in the rough 😂

Won individual match play 4&3. Got one shot, neither of us played well I just putted lights out. Was 3 up after 4 and just coasted in

Great weekend of golf. Winning team all drank from the cup. Passed it to me. Fuck that I don’t want COVID thanks 😂

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3766 on: October 9, 2021, 07:46:19 pm »
Handicap got stretched to 30

Wanted to get that down so played Friday.
34 points

Was aiming for 40+ as I want to get it down

Bought a new lob wedge and practiced hard on the day. 19 points front 9 driving well

11-15 blew up a bit. But some nice pars 16-17, very close to birdies too. Cant wait to be back out.

Again need to practice short game. Putting wasn't great but the putting green had little or no relevance as that was fast and greens were usually slow.

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3767 on: October 30, 2021, 09:18:58 pm »
I got down to 8, but got bored. When I played off 22 I saw a 8 hdp as a near pro, when I got there I still felt lioe I was shit at golf. Had to give up golf to coach football, which I'm shit at as well 🤣
Nah.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3768 on: October 30, 2021, 10:58:42 pm »
I had my handicap raised to 30 in society. If I got my short game right I'd be far better. Yesterday course I played on was in great nick despite an overnight rain battering.

Lift clean place allowed from tee to green. Decided to target 40 points. I want to get down from 30 as
A who wants a handicap that big
B I feel I'm almost using it to advantage. not really fair when someone in your group gets 0 or 1 point for a bogey and you get two for a double bogey

Anyway I drove it ok. Putted bad to start bit got it together. Course a good deal shorter with winter tee boxes. Ended up with 42 points. Driving is a good deal.better and I'm slowly getting there.

Only problem is we now have nothing lined up over winter.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3769 on: October 30, 2021, 10:59:38 pm »
I got down to 8, but got bored. When I played off 22 I saw a 8 hdp as a near pro, when I got there I still felt lioe I was shit at golf. Had to give up golf to coach football, which I'm shit at as well 🤣
are you who I think you are? Joff street from old..TV days?

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3770 on: November 7, 2021, 12:42:08 pm »
Have many people here gone for lessons and if so how much or how how quickly do you notice any improvement?

I’ve just started back playing this year after about 18 years of only playing once or twice a year. Was using 20 year old clubs but have a new set of irons now. Handicap index starting back is 19.1 so hoping to get that down next year.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3771 on: November 7, 2021, 01:57:34 pm »
If you get a good teacher yes. I see you're in Ashbourne. Black bush GC has one of the leading coaches around. Shane o Grady. Ranked in top 50 in world per golf magazine.

I'd say it takes 2-3 rounds to see a difference. First round you just over analyse everything. So some.range work and 2-3 rounds.

One I used in northern Ireland sent a video after with some great detail

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3772 on: November 7, 2021, 04:08:09 pm »
I'd forget about the course for a while after a lesson. Try get in 3 or 4 range sessions before you go on to the course. You want the changes to be drilled in to you before you bring them to the course so you're not overthinking everything. I'd even spend 10-15 minutes at the range swinging without hitting a ball each time you go.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3773 on: November 7, 2021, 05:45:29 pm »
A good coach will get you to work on one thing at a time. If they try and changed everything walk away immediately as it’s counter productive

Small steps only

Offline AshbourneRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3774 on: November 9, 2021, 07:19:47 pm »
Thanks, yeah I think I’m going to get a few over winter when there’ll be less time to be out on the course anyway. Would be nice to get one or two things to work on and just focus on that.

If you get a good teacher yes. I see you're in Ashbourne. Black bush GC has one of the leading coaches around. Shane o Grady. Ranked in top 50 in world per golf magazine.

I'd say it takes 2-3 rounds to see a difference. First round you just over analyse everything. So some.range work and 2-3 rounds.

One I used in northern Ireland sent a video after with some great detail

I think my nephew had a few lessons with him actually so must ask how he got on with him. He also cos he’s Leona Maguire too I think so obviously has something about him.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3775 on: November 9, 2021, 07:36:55 pm »
Thanks, yeah I think I’m going to get a few over winter when there’ll be less time to be out on the course anyway. Would be nice to get one or two things to work on and just focus on that.

I think my nephew had a few lessons with him actually so must ask how he got on with him. He also cos he’s Leona Maguire too I think so obviously has something about him.
worked with Jose Maria olazabal

I was a member there. I remember his name and felt the lesson I got was brutal. But long time ago and I think it was some fella who worked for him and not Shane himself (put me off the place a bit as the pro shop were wankers,). Posted about a while ago

Online blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3776 on: November 13, 2021, 11:39:26 am »
A good coach will get you to work on one thing at a time. If they try and changed everything walk away immediately as it’s counter productive

Small steps only

Agree with this. I got 6 lessons as a Xmas prezzie years ago (never used them all) and the Pro I had was great. Basically said you're too old, set in your ways, and relatively happy with your game, to be changing everything so focused on half shots with more rotation. I actually picked it up quite quickly and he said go away and practice that for half an hour each night - you don't even need a club, just refine the motion so that when you get "here" you don't need to be concentrating on getting to "there".

I asked him what the next stage was and could he show me that so i could practice that as well before the next lesson. He steadfastly refused as what's the point in doing a to c, when you cant do a to b properly.

When I went for the next lesson he had me hit abar 20 half shots with what I'd been practicing then said. Good, NOW your ready for the next part.

To be honest it worked as the half swing shots I ended up hitting were almost always a pure strike which I used to struggle with. And it made the next follow through lesson a whole lot easier to move into

I suppose its a good money earner for them as well though :-)
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3777 on: November 14, 2021, 08:46:25 am »
are you who I think you are? Joff street from old..TV days?
Fucking hell, I forgot about all that. Almost 20 years ago, that
Nah.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3778 on: November 15, 2021, 03:22:48 pm »
Fucking hell, I forgot about all that. Almost 20 years ago, that
Yeah it wouldnt be far off it

met you a few times back then at hjccups etc, good times

definitely doesnt feel that long ago

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3779 on: November 15, 2021, 06:15:38 pm »

Yeah, was a good laugh. Very expensive part of my life then 😂
Nah.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3780 on: November 15, 2021, 08:34:48 pm »
Yeah, was a good laugh. Very expensive part of my life then 😂
worth it though. Haha. Some great nights.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 10:16:15 pm by paulrazor »

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3781 on: November 15, 2021, 09:45:57 pm »
Shot a 79 this weekend with a triple and a double
38 points stableford - binned on 2 holes - came joint 3rd with closest to the pin - got my money back plus $5

Had a snowman on a par 5 lol - knobhead.

Apart from that, not too bad

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3782 on: November 15, 2021, 11:39:25 pm »

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3783 on: November 16, 2021, 03:02:13 pm »

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3784 on: December 29, 2021, 03:25:05 pm »
Played 7 holes yesterday, first time since the summer. Was surprisingly enjoyable. Didn’t lose a ball, even got a 2 on a (very short) par 3 and 4 bogeys I think. Better than I normally do in the summer!

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3785 on: December 30, 2021, 05:57:37 pm »
Played 7 holes yesterday, first time since the summer. Was surprisingly enjoyable. Didn’t lose a ball, even got a 2 on a (very short) par 3 and 4 bogeys I think. Better than I normally do in the summer!

Winter golf is great, feels like you're cheating the system really.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3786 on: January 2, 2022, 01:18:45 pm »
Shot an 80 yesterday and more than a little annoyed
37 front nine, playing really well at 1 over then tried to manage the score instead of playing golf and shot a 43 back nine

That’s golf for dickheads 🤣

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3787 on: February 20, 2022, 02:10:29 pm »
First time golfer, yesterday.

Went to the driving range at 7am on my own to give it a whirl.

Thought it'd be quiet at that time. Nope. Flash cars, middle aged men with their fancy clubs spanking balls all over.

Then there was me. Air shooting and dribbling the ball off the tee :D

How did everyone else start? Lessons?

Online blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3788 on: February 21, 2022, 10:12:37 pm »

How did everyone else start? Lessons?

I started pretty much against my will. In the Army and on a sports avvy. I was afootballer but we didnt have a match on so had scheduled in some Egyptian PT instead of getting dicked to go Orienteering.

Anyway, I was lying on my pit when a couple of mates came in and said come ead were goin golfing.  My immediate reply was fuck off do I look like Im 70 fuckin 5.

15 minutes later they came round with some clubs from the sports store, that I'm not sure were designed to have that "raw look".

Anyway we ended up at Darlo golf course and with about 10 people behind us I had my first ever golf shot, and knocked it a good 2 feet along the tee box. Thought nothing of it and picked my ball up and gave it another go... slightly better but not much.

Anyway, hacked it around for a few hours getting more and more frustrated.

BUT... and this is the shit why I'm still playing now... there were 3 or 4 times when I just pured a shot and was left with a "why the fuck cant I do that all the time".

I went back twice a week after that... and here I am now 40 years later... hitting 7 or 8 pured shots a round and getting frustrated still.

And I'm now the judgemental twat who looks at someone swinging and missing on the first tee and thinking "oh FFS this is gonna be a long one"

If your starting out my advice is to get some lessons. get 2nd hand gear and spend the money saved a pro package that will at least start you off with the right fundamentals.

I didnt have a lesson until about 5 years ago. Too late by then.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 10:21:53 pm by blert596 »
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #3789 on: February 23, 2022, 10:16:19 am »
I started pretty much against my will. In the Army and on a sports avvy. I was afootballer but we didnt have a match on so had scheduled in some Egyptian PT instead of getting dicked to go Orienteering.

Anyway, I was lying on my pit when a couple of mates came in and said come ead were goin golfing.  My immediate reply was fuck off do I look like Im 70 fuckin 5.

15 minutes later they came round with some clubs from the sports store, that I'm not sure were designed to have that "raw look".

Anyway we ended up at Darlo golf course and with about 10 people behind us I had my first ever golf shot, and knocked it a good 2 feet along the tee box. Thought nothing of it and picked my ball up and gave it another go... slightly better but not much.

Anyway, hacked it around for a few hours getting more and more frustrated.

BUT... and this is the shit why I'm still playing now... there were 3 or 4 times when I just pured a shot and was left with a "why the fuck cant I do that all the time".

I went back twice a week after that... and here I am now 40 years later... hitting 7 or 8 pured shots a round and getting frustrated still.

And I'm now the judgemental twat who looks at someone swinging and missing on the first tee and thinking "oh FFS this is gonna be a long one"

If your starting out my advice is to get some lessons. get 2nd hand gear and spend the money saved a pro package that will at least start you off with the right fundamentals.

I didnt have a lesson until about 5 years ago. Too late by then.

See that you mentioned Darlo there (assuming you were referring to Darlington). Have you played Rockcliffe Hall by any chance? Got invited to play there sometime soon. Only have an occasional round or two once in a while. Had a look at the hole-by-hole guide on their website and it seems to be a bit, erm, 'testing'.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 10:27:11 am by cormorant »
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3790 on: February 25, 2022, 04:46:03 pm »
Anyone used the Arcoss Caddie tags? Looking to get some as I'm terrible at knowing my club distances. Was debating the Garmin S62 (the one with the caddie system built in) but fuck paying near £500 for a golf watch

Online blert596

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3791 on: February 25, 2022, 09:51:14 pm »
See that you mentioned Darlo there (assuming you were referring to Darlington). Have you played Rockcliffe Hall by any chance? Got invited to play there sometime soon. Only have an occasional round or two once in a while. Had a look at the hole-by-hole guide on their website and it seems to be a bit, erm, 'testing'.

No mate. Only played Darlington. I used to choose times when there was no one around later on. Seldom finished a round, but played mainly to try and learn "on the job". No one I knew played golf properly and there was none of this You Tube stuff about.

Not been there since 1988 so things no doubt changed.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #3792 on: February 26, 2022, 08:35:46 am »
No mate. Only played Darlington. I used to choose times when there was no one around later on. Seldom finished a round, but played mainly to try and learn "on the job". No one I knew played golf properly and there was none of this You Tube stuff about.

Not been there since 1988 so things no doubt changed.

Thanks for replying. Was worth asking. Did something similar when I started as well. Used to bunk on at my local municipal as a teenager when the clubhouse closed in the evening during the summer and got as many holes in as possible before it went dark.
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3793 on: February 28, 2022, 09:29:08 pm »
As you know had back surgery last year and obviously my irons were fitted for when I had full range of motion.

My friend who used to be a Tour Fitter for Adams Golf now is a main fitter for PXG

Went to see him and he's already noticed that my posture is miles better than 12months ago when I was in serious pain from herniated discs etc

So he fitter me for PXG Gen3 P clubs with Mitsubishi MMT 80s shafts and an inch over standard.

Never thought i'd be in a shaft for irons that is a steel / graphite mesh - but he said "this will stop you getting tired later on in rounds"
Went from a cast club with LZ6.0 120g shafts
To forged 86g shafts

Same distance and weaker lofts - but able to get through the ball so much easier

Can't wait to get them
Also AP3 when i hit badly were 140yards and great at 176
These when hit badly were 170yards with a 7 iron and great at 176 yards

Massive difference

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3794 on: March 12, 2022, 04:11:04 pm »
Golf game is up and down like a whore knickers as was playing OK thinking i got something here and next time out was boning my 10 yard chips 20 yards through the greens. Laughable but the last two outings I turned the corner again so watch out Ole. Handicap was creeping up to 17 and the local course is 12 holes during the winter so play off 10 for the twelve holes. Bogey golf supposedly so my shock n horror when i was only 3 over for 12 Thursday.

Not the longest carry with the driver so with no run on the bog fairways im losing 30 yards. Thankfully my short game is ok most days as know my yardage. Get hole high is the key it seems as makes pars a lot more achievable.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3795 on: March 20, 2022, 01:27:34 am »
First time picking up a club at the range in over a year after a hand injury.

Hit surprisingly well, followed up by a couple of cold beers on the deck of the clubhouse.

Feels good to be back.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3796 on: April 25, 2022, 07:41:37 pm »
Been playing absolutely garbage golf recently - shocking to be honest
Handicap is now up to a 10

I mean seriously bad (85-92)

This Sunday - put the driver away - shot a 78 and was -2 after 3
So, all in all a lot happier - had 41 stableford points and that was with a double :)

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3797 on: April 26, 2022, 08:43:28 am »
some going

I am hoping to play rockmount on friday

Havent touched the clubs since xmas, I have a new chipping net to practice with but havent used it yet

Hoping to get to the range at least twice before friday

Offline nuts100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3798 on: May 16, 2022, 06:45:16 pm »
Played in the member member this weekend

$225 which included food golf alcohol etc
$50 per team for skins on top for 2 days
$1800 pot for both days more or less

1st day 6 skins for $300
2nd day 3 skins for a total of $588.33

I won a skin for a hole out from 105 yard bunker shot for an eagle on a par 4
Helped me shoot a 76 on Sunday
We came 3rd in our flight but won more than the flight winners for the skin lol

Was wankered last night and the kids filmed me doing the freed from desire dance
Bastards 😂

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3799 on: May 17, 2022, 09:49:52 am »
the last line haha

I played Rockmount recently, unfortunately I am finding golf completely stiffens me up (no puns please). But seriously my hip and back were in pieces the next day, i could hardly walk when i got out of bed.

Two of the best shots I have probably ever hit.

Was a par 5 I put the tee shot in the bunker almost on the upper lip, took out an 8 iron, should have been horrific as i lifted my head but jesus the bloody thing went about 180 yards

Next hole was a par 4, I was about 200 from the green from my tee shot but a massive tree kind of blocks the green. Decided I would just lay up with a 9 iron, the bloody thing ended up just off the green.

32 points in the end and a perfect day for it, putting was ok apart from a 4 putt ding on the last. Driving horrendous and driver stayed in bag, there was one horrendous slice i hit, i managed to find it and some how played it low through 2 sets of a trees and another fairway to get it back to safety and ended up almost parring the hole, Seve would have been proud