Poetryinmotion
14 (25.5%)
VivaBetty Blue
9 (16.4%)
Lastrador
18 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: November 23, 2019, 09:02:13 am

Author Topic: 90s Football Draft Round 1 (4)  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
90s Football Draft Round 1 (4)
« on: November 22, 2019, 09:02:13 am »
Trend                                                                                                      VS  Poetryinmotion

VS

==============================================================

VivaBetty                                                                                                            VS Lastrador

VS
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Re: 90s Football Draft Round 1 (4)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 09:03:25 am »
My work computer has blocked PiM's team (he must have used one of his dodgy sites) if nothing shows just try get on a different device and look before voting :)
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 09:08:51 am »
Initial thoughts

In Trend v PiM, Litmanen and Ronaldo are going to have a field day there, acres of space and then that clown Barthez in goal

The second game is going to take a cuppa or two to analyse, tough one that

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 09:29:44 am »
Pre-empting any noises on 90s Sheva. This is the version I picked -

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jNa7htFDvo0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jNa7htFDvo0</a>
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 10:03:34 am »
Only thing I kept thinking watching that video is how comically bad the defending and goalkeeping were. Looked like a mixture of the worst of Karius and David James, with a back four of Koncheskys and Brambles.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 10:19:30 am »
Only thing I kept thinking watching that video is how comically bad the defending and goalkeeping were. Looked like a mixture of the worst of Karius and David James, with a back four of Koncheskys and Brambles.

Either way, he's a better pick than Zambrotta  ;D
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 10:25:53 am »
Trend and BB by a country mile
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 10:26:12 am »
My work computer has blocked PiM's team (he must have used one of his dodgy sites) if nothing shows just try get on a different device and look before voting :)

I PM'd you the typed version of lineup, you can add it for those who can't see it.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 10:31:59 am »
Either way, he's a better pick than Zambrotta  ;D

Reckon a 5 year old Zambrotta would be an upgrade on some of those Barca defenders  :lmao
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 10:56:34 am »
Reckon a 5 year old Zambrotta would be an upgrade on some of those Barca defenders  :lmao

Well hey, sometimes great players make great defenders look like shite. There's a reason Sheva came third in the ballon d'or that year. Shame we can't say the same about the Gianluca.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 11:20:41 am »
Well hey, sometimes great players make great defenders look like shite. There's a reason Sheva came third in the ballon d'or that year. Shame we can't say the same about the Gianluca.

True true. I'm sure Zambrotta was beaten out by all the other full backs nominated for the ballon d'or.  ;)

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 11:23:57 am »
True true. I'm sure Zambrotta was beaten out by all the other full backs nominated for the ballon d'or.  ;)

You can move the goalposts as much as you like. Zambrotta is the cheesiest pick of the entire draft.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 11:28:20 am »
Good thing that people like cheese then  ;D

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 11:32:46 am »
Good thing that people like cheese then  ;D

That reminds me, I just discovered Zamorano is a type of cheese. Makes me wish I picked him now. In all honesty, I panicked having 4 picks to make up in round 6 and picked Sheva without properly researching what strikers were left. Still think he was absolutely brilliant in the late 90s, even if not at his peak. Definitely better than picking someone past their best. But I'd have picked Zamo had I spotted him. Pity I didn't if only to break defacto's heart again  ;D

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 11:34:20 am »
Poetryinmotion:

Ronaldo should be able to push through the very attack-minded midfield and take advantage of the spare space. Kohler was also an excellent centre half and would keep Mihajlovic' positional outbursts in line, much like van Dijk makes Lovren better.

Lastrador:

Valderrama and Hagi were a bit overrated based on national team successes, whereas the Lastrador teams contains pure steel from the East (Sammer) and the west (Effenberg) combined with Zidane's individual brilliance and Sosa being one of the finer deep-lying strikers during his Napoli and Roma days. Shearer should get many tap-ins there. Especially when playing against Couto, whose main quality was snidey fouls. He'd risk being all over the place without better cover.
Linudden.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2019, 12:39:35 pm »
That reminds me, I just discovered Zamorano is a type of cheese. Makes me wish I picked him now. In all honesty, I panicked having 4 picks to make up in round 6 and picked Sheva without properly researching what strikers were left. Still think he was absolutely brilliant in the late 90s, even if not at his peak. Definitely better than picking someone past their best. But I'd have picked Zamo had I spotted him. Pity I didn't if only to break defacto's heart again  ;D

I'm used to the heartaches by now  ;D he still had 6,7 good seasons in the decade, I'm surprised he wasn't picked earlier.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 12:41:09 pm »
Two points here in the PIM - Trend match

1.  Possession - Not convinced PIM has anyone in midfield (maybe Silva) that can hold the ball and keep it. Possession was much more important back then, than currently in the modern game.  Litmanen is nice but is not going to do the dirty work in deep midfield and Cocu/Platt are good soldiers but not RAWK quality finalists in a 90's draft.  Unless PIM is planning on banging balls up to Ronaldo in a whack-a-mole style, who in his midfield provides final the middle to the final third, as service his forward line requires threaded passes, exploiting space etc... Is this all Litmanen?   

And Di Napolli is like a Mascherano lite in that he'll just sit in absorb central pressure, put a boot into Jari while Bergomi, RC, Nedved, Laudrup collapse the middle.  And when we win the ball, we keep it and make PIM work.  They tire by the second half and we'd get a comfortable 2-0 win, if Ronald is not sprung and if he is --- 2-1 maybe. 

You have to have the ball to score.

2.   Who has the better partnerships across the pitch

Attacking partnerships that work?   

Forward line - Bebeto/Romario  vs.  Suker/Ronaldo
Attack/Holding Mid -  Hassler/Di Napoli vs Litmanen/M Silva
Wide Middies -  Nedved/B Laudrup vs Cocu/Platt
M Backs - Roberto Carlos/Bergomi vs. Pessotto/Jorginho
Centrebacks - Sanchis/Popescu vs. Mihailjovic/Kohler

In my mind, I go 2-1-2 (winning wide middies, marking backs -- losing the holding mid and its a draw for the attack/CB partnerships).

Goalkeeper?  Chilavert did not win anything, even though he was quality and I like him, but Barthez was a winning Frenchy, Marseille Manc so vote as you will if GK is your kicker.

Either way, well out PIM!                                                   
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 12:46:08 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 01:41:16 pm »
Its unusual to see Betty get a beating like this :D

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 01:48:35 pm »

It's my comeuppance for calling half the draft's picks out as cheese.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2019, 02:26:38 pm »

He'll be back...  Make no mistake, its gonna be a reckoning.   For now, though, let it brie.

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 02:28:42 pm »
He's looking for wives as we speak

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 03:20:21 pm »
Two points here in the PIM - Trend match

1.  Possession - Not convinced PIM has anyone in midfield (maybe Silva) that can hold the ball and keep it. Possession was much more important back then, than currently in the modern game.  Litmanen is nice but is not going to do the dirty work in deep midfield and Cocu/Platt are good soldiers but not RAWK quality finalists in a 90's draft.  Unless PIM is planning on banging balls up to Ronaldo in a whack-a-mole style, who in his midfield provides final the middle to the final third, as service his forward line requires threaded passes, exploiting space etc... Is this all Litmanen?   

And Di Napolli is like a Mascherano lite in that he'll just sit in absorb central pressure, put a boot into Jari while Bergomi, RC, Nedved, Laudrup collapse the middle.  And when we win the ball, we keep it and make PIM work.  They tire by the second half and we'd get a comfortable 2-0 win, if Ronald is not sprung and if he is --- 2-1 maybe. 

You have to have the ball to score.

2.   Who has the better partnerships across the pitch

Attacking partnerships that work?   

Forward line - Bebeto/Romario  vs.  Suker/Ronaldo
Attack/Holding Mid -  Hassler/Di Napoli vs Litmanen/M Silva
Wide Middies -  Nedved/B Laudrup vs Cocu/Platt
M Backs - Roberto Carlos/Bergomi vs. Pessotto/Jorginho
Centrebacks - Sanchis/Popescu vs. Mihailjovic/Kohler

In my mind, I go 2-1-2 (winning wide middies, marking backs -- losing the holding mid and its a draw for the attack/CB partnerships).

Goalkeeper?  Chilavert did not win anything, even though he was quality and I like him, but Barthez was a winning Frenchy, Marseille Manc so vote as you will if GK is your kicker.

Either way, well out PIM!                                                   

1. Goalkeeper

Chilavert could win 'nothing' (he won Copa Libertadores), because he didn't play in Europe, but he was named the Best Goalkeeper in the World for 3 years by IFFHS, a distinction which many other great goalkeepers have not been able to achieve. Also, he played for Paraguay, there was no chance he was going to win anything with his country. Nobody criticizes George Best or King Kenny for winning nothing Internationally, for examples.

Clearly better than Barthez there, who was inconsistent and wasn't as good as Chilavert in his peak as well.

2. Midfield

As for the midfield, Mauro Silva is a clearly superior version to Di Napoli in absorbing/anchoring the middle, while Cocu and Platt add more of the same while also being able to keep ticking the ball. If Fabinho, Hendo, and Wijnaldum are well capable of ticking the ball over with possession, I'm sure that Silva (similar to Fab), Platt (similar to Hendo) and Cocu (can be compared to Wijnaldum with slight differences) can do the same. You see I've just replaced fellow country men with similar styles of play. Also, this midfield goes all over your side's midfield in terms of physicality, so it's going to be really hard for your team to control anything in midfield. Your midfield is top heavy, mate.

Cocu, being a leader,

"Cocu played for Barcelona between 1998 and 2004. There, he would become club captain, win La Liga in 1999 and play two Champions League semi-finals. He left the club in 2004 as club record holder for the most league appearances by a foreign player. "

He is the 5th most capped Dutch player, and remember that Barcelona's possession game was modeled on Dutch ideas.

Platt is horribly under-rated.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2014/12/22/david-platt-an-englishman-in-italy/

"England are squaring off against Belgium for a place in the quarter-final of Italia 90, it’s the 119th minute of a fairly even game when England are awarded a free-kick some 35 yards from goal. What happened next would go down as one of the most dramatic goals in England’s recent history.

The then Aston Villa midfielder David Platt rids himself of his marker in the box for split second as Paul Gascoigne’s ball descends towards him. Platt swivels and connects beautifully with a right-footed volley which arrows across Michel Preud’homme and into his right-hand corner. Platt peels away in celebration, euphoria overtaking him and sinking to his knees – a rare manner of celebrating a goal by his own admission – and is soon mobbed by teammates.

The goal was life changing for Platt; in the immediate aftermath of the strike and for the long-term effects. He had been a substitute in every game of the World Cup prior to the goal, following the Belgium game he subsequently became an automatic starter against Cameroon, West Germany and Italy. Scoring a further two goals in the quarter-final and the third-place play-off.

The England squad returned home as heroes for their unexpected run to the last four, restoring pride to the national game after a decade of darkness. It could be argued that with the exception of Gascoigne, nobody’s value rose higher after the tournament than Platt’s. He had been named PFA Player of the Year in the season leading into Italia 90 as he rattled in 19 goals in the league from midfield, yet his performances in Italy garnered international recognition and speculation was mounting that he wouldn’t be playing in the Midlands for much longer."

Since his move to Bari,

"On an individual level, Platt shined in his maiden season on the peninsula. He would end the season with 11 goals from 29 games, an astounding tally given that Bari only scored 26 goals in the entire season and he was a midfielder playing for a struggling side in a league where goals came at a premium."

Although it didn't work out at Juve, since his move to Sampdoria,

"For the next two seasons, under the tutelage of future England manager and Swedish Lothario Sven-Göran Eriksson, Platt excelled at the heart of the Sampdoria midfield. His marauding runs from midfield complimented the guile of Gullit – who was brought in on loan from Milan – and the combative nature of Vladimir Jugović and all-action style of Attilio Lombardo. All led, of course, by the irresistible Mancini.

Platt once more continued his propensity for scoring on his debut, this time a header away to Napoli in a 2-1 win. He would net a further eight goals in the league – including an equaliser in the Derby della Lanterna – and two in the Coppa Italia, including a crucial penalty in the round of 16 against Roma.

The death of Mantovani, the orchestrator of the club’s resurgence, months after signing Platt left a dark cloud over the club. However, they battled on to enjoy a fine season playing in swashbuckling fashion, scoring more goals than anyone in the division. They eventually finished third in the league and won the Coppa Italia. They haven’t won anything since."

"Platt became a more technically accomplished and tactically astute footballer in Italy".

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/oct/28/david-platt

"No discussion of the best England midfielders of modern times will even mention Platt, yet he flourished overseas, has an England goal record (27 in 62) on a par with Alan Shearer and also "did it" in the late stages of a World Cup."

"Part of the problem perhaps lies in Platt's strangely unengaging style of play: an energetic all-rounder, he still gave the impression of having learned to play football from a 1970s textbook. With England Platt's game was based around his "trademark late runs", a form of highly specialised haring about the place, and a version of playing that tends for long periods not to involve the ball at all."

This also shows that this team and midfield is well capable of playing with or without possession, this team can play on the counter as well as play with the ball, it's much more complete than you're making it out to be, mate.

3. Attacking Trio and Defense

With this midfield, Litmanen does not have to do any of the dirty work. He has a free role, supplying two of the best strikers of this era in Ronaldo and Suker. The front trio have Ballon d'Or 1st, 2nd and 3rd within them in this period alone. 

Your FB's are good, but my threat is coming from the middle, and I'm not sure your CBs and GK is going to handle the trio of Litmanen, Ronaldo and Suker. They're capable of creating panic across your defense and they're pretty complete as well. They have presence, pace, vision and had extremely good finishing abilities overall as a trio.

As for your attacking threat, my midfield is going to absorb it mostly, and if anything goes through - you have to get past World Cup and European Cup winners in defense before you face 3 Times Best Goalkeeper of the Year.

"Mihajlović was moved to the centre of the team's defensive line, and remained in this position for the rest of his career. He later excelled in this newfound centre back role, where he functioned as a sweeper, due to his consistent defensive displays, physique, intelligence, leadership, and tenacity, as well as his good technique, touch on the ball, and long passing ability, which enabled him to play the ball out from the back; he drew praise from manager Carlo Mazzone, in particular, who described him as one of the best players in the world in his position."

Him with Kohler is a daunting task to try and test Chilavert.

4. Free-Kicks/Penalties

Also, Mihajlovic and Chilavert were absolute monsters in free-kicks. Mihajlovic holds the record for most free-kicks in Serie-A. Any fouls and you're going to be nervy. And then you have Litmanen and Ronaldo too. I think they're going to be very comfortable in penalties as well if needed.

5. Leaders in the Team

Cocu captained Barca to their League Title in 1998. He captained his National Team as well.

Litmanen captained his National Team.

Kohler led the line at the back.

6. Balance

Apart from having a Top Heavy Midfield, you have what you have mentioned as Wide Middies in the Center. I have central midfielders in the center.

All, in all I find your team to be really good mate, but it's unbalanced and it doesn't seem to be able to handle the threat from the opposition.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 03:27:30 pm by PoetryInMotion »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2019, 03:33:57 pm »
1. Goalkeeper

Chilavert could win 'nothing' (he won Copa Libertadores), because he didn't play in Europe, but he was named the Best Goalkeeper in the World for 3 years by IFFHS, a distinction which many other great goalkeepers have not been able to achieve. Also, he played for Paraguay, there was no chance he was going to win anything with his country. Nobody criticizes George Best or King Kenny for winning nothing Internationally, for examples.

Clearly better than Barthez there, who was inconsistent and wasn't as good as Chilavert in his peak as well.

2. Midfield

As for the midfield, Mauro Silva is a clearly superior version to Di Napoli in absorbing/anchoring the middle, while Cocu and Platt add more of the same while also being able to keep ticking the ball. If Fabinho, Hendo, and Wijnaldum are well capable of ticking the ball over with possession, I'm sure that Silva (similar to Fab), Platt (similar to Hendo) and Cocu (can be compared to Wijnaldum with slight differences) can do the same. You see I've just replaced fellow country men with similar styles of play. Also, this midfield goes all over your side's midfield in terms of physicality, so it's going to be really hard for your team to control anything in midfield. Your midfield is top heavy, mate.

Cocu, being a leader,

"Cocu played for Barcelona between 1998 and 2004. There, he would become club captain, win La Liga in 1999 and play two Champions League semi-finals. He left the club in 2004 as club record holder for the most league appearances by a foreign player. "

He is the 5th most capped Dutch player, and remember that Barcelona's possession game was modeled on Dutch ideas.

Platt is horribly under-rated.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2014/12/22/david-platt-an-englishman-in-italy/

"England are squaring off against Belgium for a place in the quarter-final of Italia 90, it’s the 119th minute of a fairly even game when England are awarded a free-kick some 35 yards from goal. What happened next would go down as one of the most dramatic goals in England’s recent history.

The then Aston Villa midfielder David Platt rids himself of his marker in the box for split second as Paul Gascoigne’s ball descends towards him. Platt swivels and connects beautifully with a right-footed volley which arrows across Michel Preud’homme and into his right-hand corner. Platt peels away in celebration, euphoria overtaking him and sinking to his knees – a rare manner of celebrating a goal by his own admission – and is soon mobbed by teammates.

The goal was life changing for Platt; in the immediate aftermath of the strike and for the long-term effects. He had been a substitute in every game of the World Cup prior to the goal, following the Belgium game he subsequently became an automatic starter against Cameroon, West Germany and Italy. Scoring a further two goals in the quarter-final and the third-place play-off.

The England squad returned home as heroes for their unexpected run to the last four, restoring pride to the national game after a decade of darkness. It could be argued that with the exception of Gascoigne, nobody’s value rose higher after the tournament than Platt’s. He had been named PFA Player of the Year in the season leading into Italia 90 as he rattled in 19 goals in the league from midfield, yet his performances in Italy garnered international recognition and speculation was mounting that he wouldn’t be playing in the Midlands for much longer."

Since his move to Bari,

"On an individual level, Platt shined in his maiden season on the peninsula. He would end the season with 11 goals from 29 games, an astounding tally given that Bari only scored 26 goals in the entire season and he was a midfielder playing for a struggling side in a league where goals came at a premium."

Although it didn't work out at Juve, since his move to Sampdoria,

"For the next two seasons, under the tutelage of future England manager and Swedish Lothario Sven-Göran Eriksson, Platt excelled at the heart of the Sampdoria midfield. His marauding runs from midfield complimented the guile of Gullit – who was brought in on loan from Milan – and the combative nature of Vladimir Jugović and all-action style of Attilio Lombardo. All led, of course, by the irresistible Mancini.

Platt once more continued his propensity for scoring on his debut, this time a header away to Napoli in a 2-1 win. He would net a further eight goals in the league – including an equaliser in the Derby della Lanterna – and two in the Coppa Italia, including a crucial penalty in the round of 16 against Roma.

The death of Mantovani, the orchestrator of the club’s resurgence, months after signing Platt left a dark cloud over the club. However, they battled on to enjoy a fine season playing in swashbuckling fashion, scoring more goals than anyone in the division. They eventually finished third in the league and won the Coppa Italia. They haven’t won anything since."

"Platt became a more technically accomplished and tactically astute footballer in Italy".

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2011/oct/28/david-platt

"No discussion of the best England midfielders of modern times will even mention Platt, yet he flourished overseas, has an England goal record (27 in 62) on a par with Alan Shearer and also "did it" in the late stages of a World Cup."

"Part of the problem perhaps lies in Platt's strangely unengaging style of play: an energetic all-rounder, he still gave the impression of having learned to play football from a 1970s textbook. With England Platt's game was based around his "trademark late runs", a form of highly specialised haring about the place, and a version of playing that tends for long periods not to involve the ball at all."

This also shows that this team and midfield is well capable of playing with or without possession, this team can play on the counter as well as play with the ball, it's much more complete than you're making it out to be, mate.

3. Attacking Trio and Defense

With this midfield, Litmanen does not have to do any of the dirty work. He has a free role, supplying two of the best strikers of this era in Ronaldo and Suker. The front trio have Ballon d'Or 1st, 2nd and 3rd within them in this period alone. 

Your FB's are good, but my threat is coming from the middle, and I'm not sure your CBs and GK is going to handle the trio of Litmanen, Ronaldo and Suker. They're capable of creating panic across your defense and they're pretty complete as well. They have presence, pace, vision and had extremely good finishing abilities overall as a trio.

As for your attacking threat, my midfield is going to absorb it mostly, and if anything goes through - you have to get past World Cup and European Cup winners in defense before you face 3 Times Best Goalkeeper of the Year.

"Mihajlović was moved to the centre of the team's defensive line, and remained in this position for the rest of his career. He later excelled in this newfound centre back role, where he functioned as a sweeper, due to his consistent defensive displays, physique, intelligence, leadership, and tenacity, as well as his good technique, touch on the ball, and long passing ability, which enabled him to play the ball out from the back; he drew praise from manager Carlo Mazzone, in particular, who described him as one of the best players in the world in his position."

Him with Kohler is a daunting task to try and test Chilavert.

4. Free-Kicks/Penalties

Also, Mihajlovic and Chilavert were absolute monsters in free-kicks. Mihajlovic holds the record for most free-kicks in Serie-A. Any fouls and you're going to be nervy. And then you have Litmanen and Ronaldo too. I think they're going to be very comfortable in penalties as well if needed.

5. Leaders in the Team

Cocu captained Barca to their League Title in 1998. He captained his National Team as well.

Litmanen captained his National Team.

Kohler led the line at the back.

6. Balance

Apart from having a Top Heavy Midfield, you have what you have mentioned as Wide Middies in the Center. I have central midfielders in the center.

All, in all I find your team to be really good mate, but it's unbalanced and it doesn't seem to be able to handle the threat from the opposition.

Whole lotta dirty dishes in your kitchen sink approach, PIM.

I would go into specifics but I am not sure anyone (Eel Lobo, 2019) would take the time to read it and probably be offended at the outcome (PIM, 2019). 

So, let's agree to disagree, especially with the absurd "unbalanced" piece you swiped from Linudden. 
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2019, 03:40:07 pm »
Let's transcend our disagreements here PIM - and listen to the wind.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2AMMb9CiScI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2AMMb9CiScI</a>
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2019, 04:13:49 pm »
 :D

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2019, 04:14:17 pm »
Quite a lot of wives you got there, I admit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2019, 04:23:42 pm »
Quite a lot of wives you got there, I admit

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2019, 06:31:29 pm »
He's looking for wives as we speak

Even I don't have that many wives  :D

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2019, 10:08:16 am »
What happens with the drawn game?

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2019, 11:37:59 am »
I'm going for Penalties.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2019, 02:36:47 pm »
I've sent my PK submissions into the Commish! 

Time for Drama
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2019, 04:18:13 pm »
I'll send them in by tonight.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2019, 04:28:00 pm »
I'll send them in by tonight.

You should lose automatically posting during a match like that :)

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 06:39:43 pm by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2019, 06:48:46 pm »
Anyone have any predictions for pens?   PIM is still preparing them.

Here are my 5 names --  in any order :)
Bergomi/Carlos/Nedved/Romario/B Laudrup  (Barthez) - 17 PK Career 1st team Saves

Here is what I predict his five would be

Chilavert/Fat Ronaldo/Kohler/Suker/Mihailjovic (Litmanen in goal :)

Chilavert spits in Roberto Carlos' face on live TV - Nasty Fucker
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1ACbz7zad7k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1ACbz7zad7k</a>

If Chilavert takes one this may be his downfall (check out 14 (15) penalty misses by the GK)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/a5PjIUXsgro" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/a5PjIUXsgro</a>   
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 06:50:57 pm by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2019, 07:08:58 pm »
I wouldn't have voted for you if I saw you use Fat Ronaldo!
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2019, 08:02:27 pm »
I wouldn't have voted for you if I saw you use Fat Ronaldo!

How'd that get in there?   :lmao
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 08:16:13 pm by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2019, 10:29:35 pm »
Trend only has Chilavert's penalty record in Europe which he failed to save. However, his general penalty saving record was really good.

See article

JOSE LUIS CHILAVERT: THE GOALKEEPER WHO SHAPED SUCCESS FROM 12-YARDS

"Nerves prevent most people from enjoying penalty shoot-outs. Managers required to trust evidently edgy players; supporters internally recalling past misses; and star centre-forwards with their somersaulting stomachs: each have cause to fear a cup stalemate. For goalkeepers though, so we're told, spot-kicks represent the opportunity to be the hero - and, at Velez Sarsfield in the 1990s, Jose Luis Chilavert certainly became that.

Yet Chilavert's penalty expertise went beyond the intimidating goal-line antics later used to good effect by Liverpool's Jerzy Dudek or Netherlands' Tim Krul. In a decade where Velez, Buenos Aires' third club, saw a spell of supreme success shaped from 12 yards, their goalkeeper came up with the goods as both a saver and taker of spot-kicks.

The Paraguay international had big gloves to fill in that regard when he arrived at the Estadio Jose Amalfitani in 1991 as, just months earlier, retiring 41-year-old goalkeeper Ubaldo Fillol had saved a penalty on the final day of the Primera Division's 1990 Apertura campaign to deny city neighbours River Plate top spot. However, Chilavert rose to the challenge of replacing the veteran, later explaining that he rarely worried too much about how he fared on the pitch. "Pressure? This is just a football match," he said of the 1998 World Cup. "When you do not know how to feed your children, that is pressure." That viewpoint did little to calm his passionate displays, though, and, at Velez he quickly set about making a mockery of Fillol's achievements.

Velez was a club sitting firmly in the shadow of Buenos Aires rivals River and Boca Juniors. As many as 17 Argentine clubs could better Velez's tally of a sole domestic title, while six had also triumphed in the Copa Libertadores - a competition El Fortin had only qualified for on one previous occasion. But, assisted by his ability at dead balls, Chilavert - although a goalkeeper - was a genuine star, ready to propel Velez into a glittering period.

In 2017, sweeper-keepers are all the rage. Chilavert offered more than that. At San Lorenzo and Real Zaragoza, he honed his set-piece skills - both direct free-kicks and penalties - and fired his first career goals from the spot."

"With captain Roberto Trotta now on spot-kick duty, Chilavert came to the fore again in the knockout stages. Velez drew 1-1 with Defensor Sporting on aggregate, meaning a place in the last eight would be decided by penalties. Chilavert followed Trotta in finding the net and saved brilliantly from both Guillermo Almada and Ruben Dos Santos to secure a 4-3 shoot-out win.

In the quarter-finals, a 2-0 second-leg home victory against Minerven was enough to progress and set up a meeting with Atletico Junior in the last four. The first leg went the way of the Colombian club, 2-1, but Velez won by the same scoreline in the return game to again take the contest to a shoot-out. Once more, Chilavert coolly netted; once more, Chilavert crucially saved - from Ronald Valderrama. A 5-4 success this time took Velez into their first continental final.

Against Sao Paulo, Velez would face their toughest test yet as they pitted their wits against the likes of Zetti, Cafu and Muller - three players crowned world champions earlier in the year with Brazil. A fine Omar Asad finish in the home leg was cancelled out by Muller at the Morumbi. More penalties for Chilavert to take and face; more penalties for Chilavert to score and save. As in the previous two shoot-outs, the goalkeeper came up trumps, diving low to his left to keep out Palinha's effort and clinch the title.

Chilavert was mobbed by team-mates and coaches alike, but this was still just the start for Velez. World domination would follow their continental triumph."

" In 1996 he was Rey del Futbol de America - 'the king' of South American football, ahead of Enzo Francescoli, Ariel Ortega and Carlos Valderrama - as well as the Footballer of the Year in Argentina. From 1994 through to 1999, Chilavert was included in El Pais' best XI "Equipo Ideal de America" every year, while IFFHS voted him the world's best goalkeeper on three occasions."

Also, his Penalty taking is excellent for a goalie.

"A fast and agile shot-stopper, known for his leadership, strong personality, and goalkeeping ability, he was regarded as one of the best goalkeepers in the world in his prime; outside of his goalkeeping position, Chilavert was also known for his outfield skills and ability as a free kick specialist,and often took penalties. He scored 67 goals in his professional career, many of them crucial, including eight in international matches. Four of his international goals were scored during Paraguay's qualification for the 2002 FIFA World Cup. Chilavert is the second-highest goalscoring goalkeeper of all time, surpassed only by Brazilian keeper Rogerio Ceni, and is one of only two goalkeepers to score a hat-trick. "

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
90s Football Draft Round 1 (4)
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2019, 11:10:57 pm »
Here we are, for the final spot in the Quarter finals.

The players line up on the half way line and Trend is first to to take.

Up steps Roberto Carlos. He steps backwards, again, again, again, again, again, he keeps going and is now standing with the players on the half way line. His run up begins and he is approaching it as a right footer would! With the outside of his left foot he smashes it to the keepers left, Chilavert confused and unexpecting just stands and watches.

1-0

David Platt steps up for the first penalty for PiM, he looks composed, steps up and rolls it to the right of the goal, Barthez dives to his left and saves!!!!!!!

1-0 (1 pen each)

Next up is Pavel Nedved, a head of hair that looks like it could develop into beautiful flowing locks. He gives the keeper the eyes as he places the ball down on the spot. A few steps back and glides towards the ball. Softly placing it to the Keepers right, Chilavert has already committed to his left and the ball rolls into the net!

2-0

Jari Litmanen has huge pressure on his penalty here, he knows he needs to score or it's all but over. He calmly places the ball, places his hands on his hips, and on the referees whistle runs up the to ball and places it centre of the goal. Barthez is unmoved and catches the ball! Unbelievable from the keeper.

2-0 (2 pens each)

Romario now with a chance to really pile the pressure on. He starts his run up, stutters on a step and Chilavert flinches, Romario strikes the ball down to the keepers left and its saved!!!!!!!! A lifeline!

2-0

Now a chance for Suker to get them back in this. This has to go in surely! The Croat has an incredible penalty record, and he steps up and places it low to his right, Barthez dives to his own right and sees the ball hit the back of the next. Game on.

2-1 (3 pens each)

The drama is unreal. Brian Laudrup looks to get Trend back on track. His stance is arrogant, and he strolls up and chips it down the middle.....Chilavert has gone down to his right and despite sticking his foot up he can't stop the ball hitting the back of the goal

3-1

Mihajlovic now has some pressure on him. He has to score or it's all over. He runs up, lifts his right arm into the air and smashes the ball to the left... Barthez guesses right! He flies to the right of his goal and his fingers knock it onto the post and away.

Trend wins 3-1! The team comes streaming down the pitch to celebrate!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 11:32:02 pm by Elzar »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2019, 11:19:21 pm »

90's rule

Rico Suave
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 11:26:58 pm by Trendisdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN: