Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3471969 times)

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #50440 on: October 3, 2019, 04:54:59 pm »
Watched Bloodline last night, very violent as you can imagine. Strange watching Seann William Scott play a psycho killer but actually quite enjoyed it.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #50441 on: October 3, 2019, 05:51:23 pm »
Ex Machina: One of my favourite films. Vikander does an amazing job to me portraying an intelligent AI, with great dialogue and chemistry between her and the subject. My only real complaint is probably that the brains behind the entire project wasn't written/cast very well. 9/10
Yeah that's a great film. I think Oscar Isaac is kind of terrifying in it too.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50442 on: October 4, 2019, 02:54:49 am »
Just watched Joker.

Spoiler
I thought it was good, but not great. Phoenix was amazing, but so many of what transpired during the first half was predictable and, dare i say, a bit boring. From the moment he found the truth about his mother it got good, imo
[close]

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 12:47:00 am by The 1989 Brit Awards »

Offline Damian V

• Anny Roader
« Reply #50443 on: October 4, 2019, 08:02:20 am »
Only got 2 stars in the Guardian today.  They do like to be quite contrary, though.
Seems like it's getting a fair amount of bad reviews due to it glorifying some elements that aren't very acceptable anymore in PC-culture. As a film, I enjoyed it greatly and don't very much care to draw parallels to real life, it's entertainment to me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #50444 on: October 4, 2019, 10:56:59 pm »
Seems like it's getting a fair amount of bad reviews due to it glorifying some elements that aren't very acceptable anymore in PC-culture. As a film, I enjoyed it greatly and don't very much care to draw parallels to real life, it's entertainment to me.

Im looking forward to seeing it they are saying it broke the record for October  Thursday Previews with $13 Million.

From what people are saying they are making it sound like a modern day Clockwork Orange.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #50445 on: October 4, 2019, 11:04:53 pm »
I remember reading that Christian Bale can't bring himself to watch The Dark Knight Rises since the Aurora shooting, the film didnt have joker in the movie but seems to spark fears.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★ 

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #50446 on: October 4, 2019, 11:13:38 pm »
Only got 2 stars in the Guardian today.  They do like to be quite contrary, though.
That's Peter Bradshaw though who, as much as I love him, is a bit of an old fart. His fellow Guardian reviwer Mark Kermode gave it a big 'ol thumbs up today on 5Live!

Saw Joker yesterday. Thought it was brilliant, Phoenix is amazing in it and has to be front-runner for an Oscar for that one for me at the moment. He elevates the movie to another level.
So glad to hear this - going to watch it on Saturday and wasn't sure due to the mixed reviews.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50447 on: October 4, 2019, 11:25:51 pm »
Saw Joker early today and overall I really enjoyed it, regardless of anything Phoenix is fantastic in the role. I really do hope that it's completely left alone with no sequels.

I'll spoiler my other thoughts

Spoiler
whilst I'm not of the opinion that people should be looking at Arthur/Joker as someone to to idolise I noticed the people you do see him kill in some ways have it coming so you can almost have empathy for it. Especially the initial subway shootings (except the 3rd one). However they've made a clear decision not to show him kill Zazie Beetz character (and possibly her daughter), or the psychologist at the end as these murders are completely unnecessary. But showing them especially the first one would (or should) completely turn the audience against Arthur.
[close]

Spoiler
and regarding everything after he kills his mother and neighbour. In the next scene we see him climbing into a fridge and closing the door on himself. We never see him re-emerge. The next scene he's getting the phone call to appear on DeNeros talk show. Feels like it's almost wish fulfilment as suddenly everything he's wanted to do he's able to accomplish. He kills his former co-worker, evades the police, and finally the denouement on TV and his acclaim on the streets. Is this just his imagination running wild whilst he dies in the fridge?
[close]

"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #50448 on: October 5, 2019, 01:13:53 am »
Saw Joker this evening.

It’s brilliant. It has flaws and it’s self indulgent, yes. But fuck me, it did everything I wanted it to and more. I was transfixed for the duration and I’ve booked to go again tomorrow at 10am.

I need to see that second to last scene over and over and over again - I’ve been emotional in cinemas before but it’s rare I’ve wanted a scene to last forever and that’s what Joker did to me right there.

Go see it.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50449 on: October 5, 2019, 02:30:30 am »
Saw Joker this evening.

It’s brilliant. It has flaws and it’s self indulgent, yes. But fuck me, it did everything I wanted it to and more. I was transfixed for the duration and I’ve booked to go again tomorrow at 10am.

I need to see that second to last scene over and over and over again - I’ve been emotional in cinemas before but it’s rare I’ve wanted a scene to last forever and that’s what Joker did to me right there.

Go see it.

Username checks out!

I thought it was a good movie, all the whining before it came out looks ridiculous when you actually watch it.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #50450 on: October 5, 2019, 08:39:00 am »
Also saw it last night. It was pretty good, dull in parts which I think was just a pacing issue to me as it wasn't stretched out to add suspense. Would have preferred
Spoiler
for him not to end up being worshiped as a god in the end but like the the poster above says, maybe it was in his head wish fulfilment
[close]

Also, question (I was so tired in the cinema I dozed off twice for micronaps)
Spoiler
are we assuming he killed his neighbour due to the general tone or was there a clear sign I missed? I thought she told him to get out then he trudged off? And I don't get the timeline of him killing his doctor I thought she binned him off due to funding when he was alive, how did he end up in Arkham, did I miss his capture after the riot?
[close]
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50451 on: October 5, 2019, 10:05:29 am »
I thought it was a good movie, all the whining before it came out looks ridiculous when you actually watch it.

I'm probably in the minority again but I didnt really enjoy it, although I do echo this. Its nowhere near as provocative or dangerous as some of those ridiculous thinkpieces led me to believe. The oddest thing about it for me is after everything building up to it, the five star reviews, the calls for it to not be shown, my reaction to it was that its.. fine?
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50452 on: October 5, 2019, 10:19:47 am »
Went to watch the Joker and I really liked it and enjoyed its bleak outlook.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I watched the new Spider-man film and I loved that as well especially the Teen, high-school element of it, just like the first one.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50453 on: October 5, 2019, 12:11:29 pm »
Seems like it's getting a fair amount of bad reviews due to it glorifying some elements that aren't very acceptable anymore in PC-culture.

From what people are saying they are making it sound like a modern day Clockwork Orange.

Brilliant. Can't wait going tomorrow

I'm probably in the minority again but I didnt really enjoy it, a

:lmao

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50454 on: October 5, 2019, 02:18:04 pm »
I'm probably in the minority again but I didnt really enjoy it, although I do echo this. Its nowhere near as provocative or dangerous as some of those ridiculous thinkpieces led me to believe. The oddest thing about it for me is after everything building up to it, the five star reviews, the calls for it to not be shown, my reaction to it was that its.. fine?

Yeah after about ten minutes I was like "nobody watching this movie fantasizes about being this guy, what the fuck was everyone on about"
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #50455 on: October 5, 2019, 04:27:07 pm »
The film is already being linked to the death of Homeless people and some cinemas have canceled screenings.

Very Clockwork Orange and reminds me of when things like Warriors was released and they were worried about gang violence.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50456 on: October 5, 2019, 05:29:10 pm »
The film is already being linked to the death of Homeless people and some cinemas have canceled screenings.

Very Clockwork Orange and reminds me of when things like Warriors was released and they were worried about gang violence.

It's got nothing to do with hurting the poor and downtrodden, people are severely reaching if they're blaming this movie for those actions.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #50457 on: October 5, 2019, 05:46:09 pm »
It's got nothing to do with hurting the poor and downtrodden, people are severely reaching if they're blaming this movie for those actions.

They did a piece about it on BBC News.

I haven't seen the film so I don't know just repeated what they were saying.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50458 on: October 5, 2019, 05:48:48 pm »
They did a piece about it on BBC News.

I haven't seen the film so I don't know just repeated what they were saying.

I'm really looking forward to it.

The BBC, fuck. They should be better than that

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #50459 on: October 5, 2019, 06:26:42 pm »

They just showed the story again but this time they have unlinked it from the death of the homeless people they have done that now as a sperate story just before the Joker one and don't blame it on the film I guess someone got in contact with them to get them to change it.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2019, 06:36:29 pm by Trada »

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50460 on: October 5, 2019, 07:41:53 pm »

:lmao

For after you have seen it, my expanded thoughts are here: https://letterboxd.com/beav/film/joker-2019/

But in short I think its all surface, with no substance.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50461 on: October 5, 2019, 08:07:37 pm »
IT: Chapter 2 up on the usual places.

Also watched one of my favourite movies growing up yesterday, pure b-movie cheese with one of the worst accents you’ll ever hear, but probably the best ‘dragon’ film around still.

Reign of Fire.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50462 on: October 5, 2019, 09:01:09 pm »
Joker was fantastic and Joaquin was phenomenal.

Imagine if Joaquin actually took the Dr Strange gig instead of Benedict Cumberbatch, he would have outshined most of the actors in the MCU.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50463 on: October 5, 2019, 10:31:55 pm »

Yeah the same BBC who essentially made Jimmy Saville a multi millionaire and turned a blind eye (allegedly) to his antics.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50464 on: October 5, 2019, 11:06:30 pm »
Loved Joker as a piece of entertainment but it’s also a damning artistic example of what can happen if government neglects mental health funding.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50465 on: October 5, 2019, 11:33:43 pm »
In the Tall Grass started off really well and then went to complete shit.

Offline Lord Roger Hunt

• Elevated to the RAWK Peerage. Furious Legend In His Own Lunchtime.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Humans were harmed in the making of this picture
« Reply #50466 on: October 5, 2019, 11:47:59 pm »
J Phoenix - give him the Oscar now. Brilliant.
From the Country of Liverpool

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #50467 on: October 6, 2019, 09:33:24 am »
Went to watch Joker yesterday, thought it was superb, grim and dark as f**k though, I think there was serious overplaying in the media about the violence but ffs we have seen a lot worse in the mainstream movies over the years, Joaquin Phoenix performance was excellent.
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50468 on: October 6, 2019, 02:48:53 pm »

Upgrade: Actually an amazing film. The 7.5 rating on IMDB is really deserving in my opinion. Heard the story is really familiar with Venom, but I haven't seen it and even the main actor in Upgrade looks a lot like Hardy. Cool story, well acted, nice action sequences and just great overall. 9/10

One of my favourite movies from 2018

Great stuff :)

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50469 on: October 6, 2019, 05:22:29 pm »
Seen a couple of films lately

Prospect: Had the makings of a great film, kind of like a sci-fi/western. Well shot, great scenery, interesting storyline... but it lacked something I find it hard to put my finger on. Whether it was certain scenes seeming a little out of place, no real logic or cohesion (for lack of better terms) behind the settlers met or just in general how the main protagonists are written in relation to the overall story I'm not sure. Decent though, without being great. 6/10

Saw this yesterday and I agree. Looked great and went where I didn't expect but it worked but still thought it could have had a little more bite. Still, it was worth watching and I knew nothing about it going in which helped to enjoy it.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #50470 on: October 6, 2019, 09:21:35 pm »
Just watched The Keeper. Story about Bert Trautmann and how he goes from POW to become Man City keeper in the 50s. Really enjoyed it. No doubt it’s simplified and condensed from what actually happened but it’s well done and funny in places too. Recommend to anyone who enjoys old football history.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50471 on: October 7, 2019, 12:43:15 am »
All this false outrage and so called controversy I've been hearing and reading about Joker is nothing but a load of fabricated bollocks. And if it isn't, it's just pure hokum to drum up attention for clickbaiting websites and sad excuses for journalists.

I've just got back from watching it. I'd normally give a film like this a pass, because I really couldn't give two fucks about most comic book related stuff, especially about a character that I think is grossly overrated in pop culture and has been flogged to death to the point where I find him trite and tedious, but this film is a lot more nuanced than it has any right to be. Perfectly constructed and paced to the point where just when it feels like it's dragging, it snaps into another gear, and it's all in service of the of the gradual descent into the iconic character that we all know. It's often slow, but the payoff is fantastic. It's really well done

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50472 on: October 7, 2019, 01:08:45 am »
As far removed from a comic book movie you can get while still being part of one of the big 2 Comic book franchises.

This is what Martin Scorsese said recently about Marvel movies

"Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks. ‘It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.’

Although I actually do go and watch Marvel movies I totally agree with him.  The Joker character is obviously part of the DC universe and 'Joker' gives us exactly what Scorsese longs for in a serious movie.  And me too for that matter.

Man, this film would stand up as a superb movie if the Joker character had never even existed and was purely a story about a downtrodden man part of a toxic society following his descent into madness.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50473 on: October 7, 2019, 01:53:44 am »
Nothing beats Ledger's Joker imo

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50474 on: October 7, 2019, 03:05:54 am »
Nothing beats Ledger's Joker imo

Phoenix is so different, they're not the same character.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #50475 on: October 7, 2019, 09:59:14 am »
Anyone watched The Best of Enemies?

True story about the KKK and civil rights in the 70`s.

Absolutely brilliant film with Sam Rothwell and Taraji Henson.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #50476 on: October 7, 2019, 12:10:20 pm »
Watched Joker yesterday. Phoenix is utterly superb in it, truly brilliant. I think a better portrayal of Joker than Ledger, even though Ledger's character was more just a baddie who was a bit weird. This Joker is portrayed as someone with serious mental illnesses and what happens when governments stop funding for medical care.

Not sure what the outrage is about it, as there are many, many more violent and gruesome films being produced today.

Spoiler
The ending with Bruce Wayne stood in the alleyway definitely is a sign that they're open to the idea of a sequel, and I think it would work really well.

The only thing slightly missing from this was beats for plot points - they rhythm didn't quite work for me, but didn't take anything away from the film either.
[close]
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50477 on: October 7, 2019, 01:17:41 pm »

Man, this film would stand up as a superb movie if the Joker character had never even existed and was purely a story about a downtrodden man part of a toxic society following his descent into madness.
Yeah, it would, yes. That's why I liked it. I came out of it thinking "I just watched an actual film there" and not fictional, ridiculously dressed, CGI characters beating the fuck out each other for 2 hours. In the past, creating a character like this just required the hero to drop him into a vat of chemicals. The vat of chemicals in this was the stigma of the society he was surrounded and drowned in.

One thing I disliked was the use of that nonce c*nt Glitter's music, in what was arguably the best scene in the film. Why on earth did they chose that, and why wasn't it picked up on in editing? For fuck sake. I hope they remove it for the home release.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50478 on: October 7, 2019, 01:51:11 pm »
One thing I disliked was the use of that nonce c*nt Glitter's music, in what was arguably the best scene in the film. Why on earth did they chose that, and why wasn't it picked up on in editing? For fuck sake. I hope they remove it for the home release.

Shit yeah I knew there was something about the movie I picked up on which was a bit weird.  Surely the filmmakers were not so naive as to not know about Glitters rep?  Not sure how big he was in the USA but I'm thinking this may have been a massive oversight on behalf of the movie makers.  Perhaps they just didn't give a fuck and wanted the song badly.

As you say it was a brilliant scene
Spoiler
as Arthur Fleck discovered himself as the Joker
[close]
And the song is ace.  For those of us that know the history it did sour the moment slightly though.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #50479 on: October 7, 2019, 01:53:03 pm »
IT: Chapter 2 up on the usual places.

Also watched one of my favourite movies growing up yesterday, pure b-movie cheese with one of the worst accents you’ll ever hear, but probably the best ‘dragon’ film around still.

Reign of Fire.

Reign of Fire definitely has that 1960s British Sci Fi film feel about it. A bit like Quatermass and the Pit.