Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 310707 times)

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #1880 on: October 26, 2017, 07:29:30 pm »
Potential interstellar comet.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0GPqb-bXhjg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0GPqb-bXhjg</a>
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1881 on: November 1, 2017, 07:21:43 pm »
For anybody interested, this comet might be visible currently:

http://www.cometwatch.co.uk/bright-comets-of-2017/comet-c2017-o1-asas-sn/

Popcorn's Art

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1882 on: November 9, 2017, 09:47:03 pm »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #1883 on: November 22, 2017, 07:41:45 pm »
(non) Rendevouz with Rama?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42053634

An asteroid that visited us from interstellar space is one of the most elongated cosmic objects known to science, a study has shown.

Discovered on 19 October, the object's speed and trajectory strongly suggested it originated in a planetary system around another star.

Astronomers have been scrambling to observe the unique space rock, known as 'Oumuamua, before it fades from view.

Their results so far suggest it is at least 10 times longer than it is wide.

That ratio is more extreme than that of any asteroid or comet ever observed in our Solar System.

Interstellar visitor given a name

Using observations from the Very Large Telescope in Chile, Karen Meech, from the Institute for Astronomy in Honolulu, Hawaii, and colleagues determined that the object was about 400m long, rapidly rotating and subject to dramatic changes in brightness.

These changes in brightness were the clue to 'Oumuamua's bizarre shape.

"Looking at the asteroid light curve database, there are five objects (out of 20,000) that have light curves that would suggest a shape up to an axis ratio of about 7-8 to 1," Dr Meech told BBC News.

"Our errors are very small, so we are confident this is really elongated. Also, one has to realise we don't know where the rotation pole is pointed. We assumed that it was perpendicular to the line of site. If it were tipped over at all, then there are projection effects and the 10:1 is a minimum. It could be more elongated!"

But in other respects, 'Oumuamua (pronounced oh MOO-uh MOO-uh), appears to resemble objects we know from closer to home.

"We also found that it had a reddish colour, similar to objects in the outer Solar System, and confirmed that it is completely inert, without the faintest hint of dust around it," Dr Meech said.

These properties suggest that 'Oumuamua is dense, comprised of rock and possibly metals, has no water or ice, and that its surface was reddened due to the effects of irradiation from cosmic rays over long periods of time.

Although 'Oumuamua formed around another star, scientists think it could have been wandering through the Milky Way, unattached to any star system, for hundreds of millions of years before its chance encounter with our Solar System.

"For decades we've theorised that such interstellar objects are out there, and now - for the first time - we have direct evidence they exist," said Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator for Nasa's science mission directorate in Washington DC.

"This history-making discovery is opening a new window to study formation of solar systems beyond our own."

If planets form around other stars the same way they did in the Solar System, many objects the size of 'Oumuamua should get slung out into space. The interstellar visitor may provide the first evidence of that process.

As regards how 'Oumuamua became so elongated, Dr Meech explained: "There has been speculation among various team members about this. Sometimes very elongated objects are contact binaries... but even so, the pieces would be longer than most things in the Solar System, and our analysis shows that it is rotating fast enough that they should not stay together.

"One of our team wondered if, during a planetary system formation, if there was a large collision between bodies that had molten cores, some material could get ejected out and then freeze in an elongated shape.

"Another team member was wondering if there could be some process during the ejection - say if there was a nearby supernova explosion that could be responsible."

The cosmic interloper was discovered by Rob Weryk, a postdoctoral researcher at the Institute for Astronomy and a co-author of the new study, which is published in Nature journal.

Weryk and fellow Institute for Astronomy researcher Marco Micheli realised it was going extremely fast (with enough speed to avoid being captured by the Sun's gravitational pull) and was on a very eccentric trajectory taking it out of our Solar System.

The asteroid's name, 'Oumuamua, means "a messenger from afar arriving first" in Hawaiian.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1884 on: December 7, 2017, 10:15:25 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42252235

Big Black Hole from a long, long time ago!!

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1885 on: December 9, 2017, 02:19:41 am »
BBC iplayer still has the Storyville documentary on the Voyagers. Enjoyed listening to the people involved talking about what was going on behind the scenes.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1886 on: December 9, 2017, 10:14:41 am »
Re the Voyagers, NASA just brought Voyager 1s auxiliary RCS system back online after 37 years because the primaries started glitching.  Although they require heating to use they work just fine.  :o

Popcorn's Art

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1887 on: December 12, 2017, 06:44:30 am »

NASA and Google to announce huge Kepler discovery

NASA has called a press conference to reveal a breakthrough discovery from its alien-hunting Kepler telescope. The discovery was driven by Google’s machine-learning artificial intelligence software.

The announcement will be live-streamed on NASA’s website, according to a press release. It will take place Thursday, December 14 at 1 p.m. EST.....More after clicky,clicky....
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #1888 on: December 14, 2017, 08:41:44 am »

NASA and Google to announce huge Kepler discovery

That about 6pm?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1889 on: December 14, 2017, 01:58:00 pm »
That about 6pm?

Forgot about this lol,yeah it is 6pm our time.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1890 on: December 14, 2017, 03:33:24 pm »

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1891 on: December 14, 2017, 06:03:22 pm »
Well that wasn't worth the wait lol

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1892 on: December 14, 2017, 06:08:16 pm »

Just turned it off myself.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1893 on: December 14, 2017, 06:10:54 pm »

Did you honestly expecting something significant?  This kind of thing is routine now.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1894 on: December 14, 2017, 06:24:19 pm »
Duck, Tiangong-1 is due to re-enter soon .... https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/oct/13/tiangong-1-chinese-space-station-will-crash-to-earth-within-months

...Although much of the craft is expected to burn up in the atmosphere, McDowell says some parts might still weigh up to 100kg when they crash into the Earth’s surface.

The chance that anyone will be harmed by the debris is considered remote but China told the United Nations “Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space” in May that it would carefully monitor the craft’s descent and inform the United Nations when it begins its final plunge.

Predicting where it is going to come down would be impossible even in the days ahead of its landing, McDowell said.

“You really can’t steer these things,” he said in 2016. “Even a couple of days before it re-enters we probably won’t know better than six or seven hours, plus or minus, when it’s going to come down. Not knowing when it’s going to come down translates as not knowing where it’s going to come down.”

McDowell said a slight change in atmospheric conditions could nudge the landing site “from one continent to the next”.

There have been many uncontrolled re-entries of larger spacecraft and none have ever been reported to have caused injuries to people.

For some reason, I'm not completely sure I find that last sentence particularly reassuring.

The probability of it hitting anyone will be miniscule.  We could fit every person in an area of around 3000 km^2, while the surface area of the planet is 510072000 km^2 (of which 71% is water).
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1895 on: December 14, 2017, 06:26:42 pm »
Did you honestly expecting something significant?  This kind of thing is routine now.

Not really but it is nice to dream.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #1896 on: January 6, 2018, 11:36:20 pm »
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1897 on: January 23, 2018, 05:39:25 pm »
Something for the kids - a LEGO proposal for building a set representing the next Mars lander:
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/550d5733-3f89-4640-bc5b-a6a59afa469e

Vote for it if you like it.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1898 on: January 31, 2018, 05:08:40 am »
Tomorrow there is a super blue blood moon. Go see it if you have a chance. The last one was 150 years ago.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1899 on: February 5, 2018, 12:34:18 pm »
Tomorrow sees the debut of the Falcon Heavy.  Can launch 63,000kg to LEO in its fully expendable configuration.

Popcorn's Art

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1900 on: February 5, 2018, 02:11:49 pm »
Can launch 63,000kg of LEGO

I read that wrong

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1901 on: February 5, 2018, 03:41:58 pm »

Popcorn's Art

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1902 on: February 6, 2018, 06:42:29 am »
Tomorrow sees the debut of the Falcon Heavy.  Can launch 63,000kg to LEO in its fully expendable configuration.

If all goes to plan lift-off is at  6.30pm (GMT)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Tk338VXcb24" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Tk338VXcb24</a>

When Falcon Heavy lifts off, it will be the most powerful operational rocket in the world by a factor of two. With the ability to lift into orbit nearly 64 metric tons (141,000 lb)---a mass greater than a 737 jetliner loaded with passengers, crew, luggage and fuel--Falcon Heavy can lift more than twice the payload of the next closest operational vehicle, the Delta IV Heavy, at one-third the cost.

Falcon Heavy's first stage is composed of three Falcon 9 nine-engine cores whose 27 Merlin engines together generate more than 5 million pounds of thrust at liftoff, equal to approximately eighteen 747 aircraft.

Following liftoff, the two side boosters separate from the center core and return to landing sites for future reuse. The center core, traveling further and faster than the side boosters, also returns for reuse, but lands on a drone ship located in the Atlantic Ocean.

At max velocity the Roadster will travel 11 km/s (7mi/s) and travel 400 million km (250 million mi) from Earth.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2018, 06:45:13 am by WhereAngelsPlay »

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1903 on: February 6, 2018, 11:04:49 am »
Looking forward to watching this later on.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1904 on: February 6, 2018, 11:59:28 am »
Still, it’s only about a third of the lifting ability of a Saturn 5...

Still the most incredible machines ever built..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1905 on: February 6, 2018, 06:23:17 pm »
Delayed until 8.15pm currently due to upper level winds and clock management. If that goes beyond 9pm then will be delayed until tomorrow.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1906 on: February 6, 2018, 06:41:12 pm »
Still, it’s only about a third of the lifting ability of a Saturn 5...

Still the most incredible machines ever built..

Yeah, bit like Concorde is for aircraft.  Both designed in the 50s and 60s and yet still essentially peerless after all this time.

Always wonder what might have been if they had stuck to enhancing and developing the Saturn V and 1B
« Last Edit: February 6, 2018, 06:42:55 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1907 on: February 6, 2018, 06:51:31 pm »
Pushed to 8.45pm, looks unlikely it'll happen today.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1908 on: February 6, 2018, 08:02:37 pm »
Pushed to 8.45pm, looks unlikely it'll happen today.

Musk seems confident.Looking at 8.45 gmt (42mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1909 on: February 6, 2018, 08:25:44 pm »
Looks like it is happening in 20m.

Going to be an amazing sight if the two side rockets land together like they're supposed to.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2018, 08:27:31 pm by WhereAngelsPlay »

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1910 on: February 6, 2018, 08:37:29 pm »
Good to see farawayred popping in on here.

Here's hoping this launch is a success.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1911 on: February 6, 2018, 08:49:33 pm »
Playing David Bowie.  ;D

Let's see if they can bring all three boosters back safely.
« Last Edit: February 6, 2018, 08:51:59 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1912 on: February 6, 2018, 08:52:42 pm »
So Elon Musk has just put his company at the top.

He says that each launch will cost around $90m & the NASA rocket will cost almost a billion per launch.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1913 on: February 6, 2018, 08:53:42 pm »
Perfection.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1914 on: February 6, 2018, 08:57:44 pm »
That was unreal. Like out of a sci-fi movie watching those twin boosters land together.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #1915 on: February 6, 2018, 08:58:42 pm »
Their livestream has gone without news from Of Course I Still Love You?

Also: I fucking miss Iain Banks.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1916 on: February 6, 2018, 08:58:56 pm »
Did the core land?

The dual booster landing side by side... it was like ballet...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online bogrollsbike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1917 on: February 6, 2018, 08:58:59 pm »
Brilliant.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1918 on: February 6, 2018, 09:00:02 pm »
Simultaneous landings.  Bloody hell.

But the Falcon Heavy has a long way to go to match the capabilities of the SLS, much less the Saturn V.  At the moment it's probably slightly better in terms of payload than the Saturn IB, but it will prosper with further development, and in a multiple launch configuration manned exploration of the inner solar system comes a very serious step closer.

Popcorn's Art

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1919 on: February 6, 2018, 09:00:58 pm »
The boosters landing was incredible.
No time for caution.