Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399413 times)

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #16880 on: May 19, 2019, 12:29:56 am »
The CL is unquestionably a ridiculously hard competition to win, to get to the final of even, and that’s shown by the amount of times very very very good league sides have got nowhere near the final.

You can sometimes be a good cup side, or get a good run, but to do it twice on the bounce is only the sign of one thing: you’re a fucking boss side.

According to Pep today - shockingly - the CL isn’t that hard to win.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-city/story/3856779/pep-man-citys-treble-harder-than-champions-league
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 01:02:08 am by newterp »

Offline dimwit

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • this is what depression will do to you
« Reply #16881 on: May 19, 2019, 12:32:29 am »

And that's why he's won it at Bayern and City.

;D

Offline daggerdoo

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16882 on: May 19, 2019, 12:48:11 am »
It's a silly thing to imply and he's not coming across too well with those quotes.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #16883 on: May 19, 2019, 04:30:37 am »
City have had more than their fair share of fortune in the league this season.

So have we really. You need it to get 95+ points.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16884 on: May 19, 2019, 05:19:42 am »

http://www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-city/story/3856779/pep-man-citys-treble-harder-than-champions-league

That's not at all what he said.

He said it's harder to do the domestic treble then it is to win the Champions League.

If you want to dispute that that is fine, it's all opinions after all

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16885 on: May 19, 2019, 05:38:04 am »
Real Madrid have 4 titles in last 6 years and only 1 league win in that same time period. When Pep was asked for team of decade he said he couldn't pick Madrid because of lack of league titles.

He could just be being bitter or it could just be his beliefs

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #16886 on: May 19, 2019, 08:17:49 am »

In fairness, that’s not what he had said. He compared the treble vs the CL. And for that he’s right. How many teams have won a treble, any treble, and how many times? We ourselves have 5 (soon to be 6) Big Years, and how many trebles? Same with United. City didn’t have enough history of being strong to make the statistics.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16887 on: May 19, 2019, 09:22:23 am »
In fairness? Nah - let's enjoy the grumpy defensive vibe he's giving out. It's the one chink in their financially-doped armour.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #16888 on: May 19, 2019, 09:57:03 am »
In fairness, that’s not what he had said. He compared the treble vs the CL. And for that he’s right. How many teams have won a treble, any treble, and how many times? We ourselves have 5 (soon to be 6) Big Years, and how many trebles? Same with United. City didn’t have enough history of being strong to make the statistics.

To be fair though, the Carling Cup tends to be the cup teams rotate dor, especially if they're going after the Champions league.
Winning the league is tough, but for them to win the domestic cups they faced the easiest set of fixtures you can imagine. I think bar Chelsea, every other team was an incredibly easy matchup.

They were very fortunate with their cup runs.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #16889 on: May 19, 2019, 11:30:01 am »
To be fair though, the Carling Cup tends to be the cup teams rotate dor, especially if they're going after the Champions league.
Winning the league is tough, but for them to win the domestic cups they faced the easiest set of fixtures you can imagine. I think bar Chelsea, every other team was an incredibly easy matchup.

They were very fortunate with their cup runs.

They were but I wouldn't fancy Leicester or Burnley away too much with our second-string side.

This is why it's jarring to hear that our team is supposedly 'complete'. We throw the cup competitions most seasons whilst City are churning them out on a regular basis.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16890 on: May 19, 2019, 11:33:15 am »
That's not at all what he said.

He said it's harder to do the domestic treble then it is to win the Champions League.

If you want to dispute that that is fine, it's all opinions after all

no one said it wasn't harder to win the domestic treble - but because he's so insecure he needed to bring it up and try to devalue the CL. 

Because Liverpool is in his head big time.

Offline Kenny Red

• Anny Roader
  • Don't park your tank on my lawn sunny jim
« Reply #16891 on: May 19, 2019, 12:40:27 pm »

no one said it wasn't harder to win the domestic treble - but because he's so insecure he needed to bring it up and try to devalue the CL. 

Because Liverpool is in his head big time.

LFC are in MCFC's head big time never mind Pep's without even trying. They seem more preoccupied with what we're doing than themselves. And I'm fucking loving it.
Perception is nine tenths of reality

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #16892 on: May 19, 2019, 12:54:21 pm »
After we spank City in the Community Shield...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/f9nY-B3ChCU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/f9nY-B3ChCU</a>

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16893 on: May 19, 2019, 01:05:52 pm »

Why did he make that comparison though? No-one else did.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16894 on: May 19, 2019, 01:12:27 pm »
Why did he make that comparison though? No-one else did.

That's a good question.

Should have just owned the achievement in its own right. It has never been done before.

Allowing Liverpool to live rent free in his head. Just worry about your own team

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16895 on: May 19, 2019, 01:30:14 pm »
LFC are in MCFC's head big time never mind Pep's without even trying. They seem more preoccupied with what we're doing than themselves. And I'm fucking loving it.

Doubt they are arsed about us to be honest. They are enjoying their trophies wins while we are waiting for ours in 7 years.

Some people moan about City being obsessed with us, but I'm starting to think it's a bit mutual.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline MindGuerrillas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #16896 on: May 19, 2019, 01:31:50 pm »
They were but I wouldn't fancy Leicester or Burnley away too much with our second-string side.

Leicester and Burnley played second-string sides too though.

Leicester's team was Ward, Simpson, Söyüncü, Maguire, Fuchs, Ghezzal, Choudhury, Iborra, Ndidi, Gray, Iheanacho. I'd fancy our chances against that no matter what team we put out. City only beat them on pens.

Burnley made 7 changes in the FA Cup game at the Etihad.

Their 2 cup runs couldn't have been any easier for them.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 01:51:40 pm by MindGuerrillas »

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #16897 on: May 19, 2019, 01:47:45 pm »
Leicester and Burnley played second-string sides too though.

Leicester's teams was Ward, Simpson, Söyüncü, Maguire, Fuchs, Ghezzal, Choudhury, Iborra, Ndidi, Gray, Iheanacho. I'd fancy our chances against that no matter what team we put out. City only beat them on pens.

Burnley made 7 changes in the FA Cup game at the Etihad.

Their 2 cup runs couldn't have been any easier for them.
And they won the Premier by 11.7mm....... 11.8mm the other way and we’d have won the title as invincibles

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16898 on: May 19, 2019, 01:49:06 pm »

It's similar to the invincible vs more points than invincible without being invincible. Which is greater?

There are many who say the invincible season of Arsenal - and maybe there's an argument for having that over 93 points (I'm not saying either way), but beyond 95 and above points, it's only going one way and I've held that opinion for a long time. People even compared invincible season to 100 points season of City and claimed that invincible is still better and the main argument they come up with is that how many times it has been achieved/repeated?

I respectfully disagree. I think Man City's 100 points is greater (without considering their off the pitch issues with their club). You can never assess the difficulty of a competition by number of wins. For example, take the European Cup/Champions League and UEFA Cup/Europa League. Yes, there is a 16 years gap between the initiation of these two tournaments, but the EC/CL has been won 13 times by one team, then 7 times by another team, then 5 times by 3 sides whereas the UC/EL has been won 5 times by 1 team and 3 times by 4 teams. Does that mean the UC/EL is harder to win since there are no dominating sides as in the EC/CL? Europa League is harder than Champions League, right?

That is absolutely the wrong way to assess which is the harder one, the number of times it has been won. The better way, which is also arbitrary, is to see who is trying harder to achieve what.

Nobody really sets out at the start of a season to be invincible. I'm not saying it's not hard, it is, but when something is not really a target, how can you compare or assess with other achievements which are legit targets which teams are doing their best to achieve? All teams are trying to get to the most points, the invincible thing only becomes a 2nd target when a teams goes through 2/3rds of a season intact and can go for it without jeopardizing their main target, that is to win the title or get most points. Otherwise, if you remove most points as a target, then a lot of sides in history would've taken the approach to get to 15+ draws or something to achieve invincible status but getting a lot lesser points than they could. By increasing the number of teams attempting to be invincible (by removing the primary target of securing more points), we can easily get more teams to achieve the invincible status. It's like I want to do A and I'm trying my best to do A, so I'm getting to A more. I want to do A more than I want to do B, so when B is a sideshow, it doesn't mean that getting B is harder the getting A.

The same is with the treble and the CL. I respect the League title, but beyond that about the domestic cups, it's a matter of how many sides are arsed with these cups to try and win them. And coming to that stage also depends on the draw in the cups and how easy/hard the journey is. The only times teams try and make that a target is when that does not jeopardize your chances of achieving bigger targets. I mean Wenger won plenty of FA Cups, but were their fans satisfied? There were rumbles everywhere because they were poor in Europe, and they were just going Top 4 in the league. The moment they dropped out of Top 4, the cups failed to be consolation for them, they just weren't arsed anymore. It simply explains that these cups are not really primary targets of top teams, they are an afterthought. Once you see through that, it's clear that this is about the Premier League vs the Champions League and we know which one is the Bigger Club Competition and which one is the more challenging one.

See how much efforts Man City put in to win the CL and still came short by a mile, whereas with their treble, the two cups were piss easy with the routes, the League was their biggest challenge and that too only because we were around that territory. So, they were a consistent team over the season, but they didn't quite hit the peak to win the CL.

It's clear that Guardiola is still bitter that his team is not in the CL Final.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 01:56:21 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #16899 on: May 19, 2019, 01:57:21 pm »
And they won the Premier by 11.7mm....... 11.8mm the other way and we’d have won the title as invincibles

What utterly bizarre logic
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16900 on: May 19, 2019, 02:00:27 pm »
Doubt they are arsed about us to be honest. They are enjoying their trophies wins while we are waiting for ours in 7 years.

Some people moan about City being obsessed with us, but I'm starting to think it's a bit mutual.

Nope, the day you see our players and manager go out of their way to mention them whilst celebrating a victory of our own is the day you'd have a point.

The day you see our fans celebrating and singing about City in a match where we aren't playing City is the day you'd be right. The day you see one of our own fans rant about City after a cup final win in where City weren't involved is the day you'd be right.

Offline Kenny Red

• Anny Roader
  • Don't park your tank on my lawn sunny jim
« Reply #16901 on: May 19, 2019, 03:24:30 pm »
Nope, the day you see our players and manager go out of their way to mention them whilst celebrating a victory of our own is the day you'd have a point.

The day you see our fans celebrating and singing about City in a match where we aren't playing City is the day you'd be right. The day you see one of our own fans rant about City after a cup final win in where City weren't involved is the day you'd be right.

Couldn't have put it better. Beyond our team showing respect I havent heard a single peep from our club. Why? Because they havent got into heads, whereas we are most certainly in theirs without a single word being said.
Perception is nine tenths of reality

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16902 on: May 19, 2019, 03:36:03 pm »
Couldn't have put it better. Beyond our team showing respect I havent heard a single peep from our club. Why? Because they havent got into heads, whereas we are most certainly in theirs without a single word being said.

I agree. Wish this would extend to the fans.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16903 on: May 19, 2019, 03:39:08 pm »

They are deffo obsessed and bothered by us.

The official club twitter account mocks us the day they win the league.
The players sing about us on the plane home the day they win the League.
They do the domestic treble and the manager instead refers to the CL
A supporter bursts into the press area at Wembley and rants that they will talk about Salah and not them in the next days papers
The only new song they have is one we started in the UK and is all about us in Kiev (and other disgusting references)
Sky do interviews outside the ground and its "Fuck off you Scouse c*nts"

We talk about the cheating and what we need to do next season to beat them to the title.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16904 on: May 19, 2019, 04:31:27 pm »
I remember about 10 years or so ago we used to have debates on here about the Mancs being obsessed by us, and whether the obsession was mutual etc. In that example I think anyone saying the hatred on both sides was mutual had a fairly valid point as I absolutely despised them (and still do), although we rarely engaged in songs about them when not playing them but they obviously regularly did about us (must be a Manchester thing.)

With City however it’s a moot point. Nobody gives a fuck other than the fact they’ve stopped us not just winning, but in reality walking to the title. As a club they’re a fucking joke and that title celebration with their fans just highlights it.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16905 on: May 19, 2019, 05:03:06 pm »

We've fuck all to do for 2 weeks. They're the main news. Everything they do and say is basically about us. We're allowed to take the piss.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16906 on: May 19, 2019, 05:11:01 pm »
We've fuck all to do for 2 weeks. They're the main news. Everything they do and say is basically about us. We're allowed to take the piss.

This. We can only analyze the game so much

But confusing what we're talking on about here and what their players and manager are saying are far two different things.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16907 on: May 19, 2019, 05:34:35 pm »
I think more about Man Utd than Man City. I visit the Man Utd thread on the general discussion forum, much more often than I do the Man City thread. I don't think I am obsessed though. I just enjoy making fun of  Man Utd and see the 1990s version of us in them.  :wave

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16908 on: May 19, 2019, 06:14:53 pm »

It's because their season is over. They set out to win the champions league, and they won't be there (again). They achieved their other objectives so fair dues to them. They have a great squad which is what you get when you get a good manager and give him 500m to spend. Hopefully our lads are fully focussed on bringing home silverware with our remaining game of the season.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16909 on: May 19, 2019, 06:30:41 pm »
I think for Klopp and for me at least, its not so much about winning titles and cups but more so about forming feel-good memories which will last.

Winning titles and cups does that, but so does getting the result we need against Barcelona. Viewed in isolation, its just a game against a top side which we won. Did we win a cup or title as a direct result of that victory? No. Yet the celebrations and the aftermath of that victory, especially for those at Anfield will be remembered for the rest of everyones lives.

The same goes for the 4-3 win against Dortmund and all those last minute winners this season against Everton, Spurs and the last minute equalizer against Chelsea. I even remember that 5-4 win against Norwich in a season when we did not win anything :)

I feel that for City, its more so about winning the titles.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 10:04:33 pm by Mr_Shane »

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16910 on: May 19, 2019, 08:26:58 pm »

Yes we should just bury our heads in the sand and allow them to continue to cheat their way to trophies. We should ignore the fact that they breached FFP. We should ignore their players having their image rights owned by Abu Dhabi so they can have a lower wage bill. We should ignore their players not being available for drug testing. We should ignore City making illegal payments to agents and breaching rules regarding young players.

In short we should say nothing to see here and legitimise their cheating.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #16911 on: May 19, 2019, 08:43:20 pm »
What utterly bizarre logic

I'm not sure about his logic but surely his maths are right. 11.8mm, the ball would have been over then line, a draw......etc.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16912 on: May 19, 2019, 08:56:42 pm »

snip...

Good post, mate, and I agree with a lot of that. most comparisons seems to be like apples and oranges. We were beaten in only one game this season, but we did not win the PL. In the end, that's what matters. And it's not onl;y which team is better, but which had Lady Luck on their side. I disagree with the general statement that the best team always wins over 38 games. For closely matched teams, luck is the tie-breaker. We had a share of good fortune and misfortune, and so did City. There is no objective way to judge how many points for each team were influenced by luck, but there's no denying that luck is important. We may not have situations like Everton home work for us next season. Or we'll have more of those. Who knows...

As for Pep, yea, we're in his head. I don't think that he's obsessed by us, but utterly surprised that he couldn't shake us off by April. And the comment may have been prompted by the general media expectation that he'd win all competitions. Whatever. I don't really care. He made a comment that I see as awkward, but not wrong and not disrespectful.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #16913 on: May 19, 2019, 08:59:28 pm »
I'm not sure about his logic but surely his maths are right. 11.8mm, the ball would have been over then line, a draw......etc.

It happened four months before the end of the season, pretty much halfway into the game. We lost the title because the FA and Premier League has essentially allowed a team to use a real life FM cheat code.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #16914 on: May 19, 2019, 09:13:41 pm »

How many teams have had the resources of a country spent on them as a PR exercise (apart from PSG of course).

And we've won two trebles mate. The 2001 treble being about as shard as you can get because we literally had to play every game possible.

And I know Joe Fagan is from before the invention of football in 1992 but he won our first treble of the European Cup, League and League Cup back in 1984.

And just as a reminder - this is Man City's run to the FA Cup Final: Rotherham, Burnley, Newport County, Swansea and Brighton.

It's hard to see how they managed to overcome those powerhouses of modern football. We just had to overcome PSG, Napoli, Red Star, Bayern Munich and Barcelona to get to the European Cup Final...

Despite all the advantages, Pep has failed in Europe twice now with City, just like he did with Bayern.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #16915 on: May 19, 2019, 09:14:15 pm »
It happened four months before the end of the season, pretty much halfway into the game. We lost the title because the FA and Premier League has essentially allowed a team to use a real life FM cheat code.

Can't argue with that.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16916 on: May 19, 2019, 09:51:23 pm »
How many teams have had the resources of a country spent on them as a PR exercise (apart from PSG of course).

And we've won two trebles mate. The 2001 treble being about as shard as you can get because we literally had to play every game possible.

And I know Joe Fagan is from before the invention of football in 1992 but he won our first treble of the European Cup, League and League Cup back in 1984.

And just as a reminder - this is Man City's run to the FA Cup Final: Rotherham, Burnley, Newport County, Swansea and Brighton.

It's hard to see how they managed to overcome those powerhouses of modern football. We just had to overcome PSG, Napoli, Red Star, Bayern Munich and Barcelona to get to the European Cup Final...

Despite all the advantages, Pep has failed in Europe twice now with City, just like he did with Bayern.

Well said Al.

It is not just the FA Cup in the League Cup they faced Oxford, Fulham, Leicester, Burton and Chelsea so to win both domestic Cups they only had to face two teams from the top half of the Premier League. Leicester and Chelsea were the only two teams from the top half of the table. To make it worse both games ended in a stalemate with City winning both games on penalties.

Even in the Champions League they went out to the first decent side they faced. As for Guardiola it is not twice he has failed at City in the Champions League he also lost to Monaco in his first season.

Guardiola hasn't made it to a Champions League final for 8 years despite managing Barca, Bayern and Abu Dhabi. To put that into perspective Klopp is looking forward to his 3rd Champions League final since 2013. Then again you tend not to be drawn against Burton Albion in a Champions League semi.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16917 on: May 19, 2019, 10:51:07 pm »

No disagreement with the disproportionate financial power of some teams (Chelsea, City) and the top pickings at their disposal. And City are sort of expected to win due to the above. And yes, City got the rub of the green with the teams they faced. And yes, they failed miserably when facing a decent opponent. But still, there is no factual argument that contradicts that a treble of any kind is more difficult than winning the Champions Cup / Champions League. We had 2 trebles, 5 CL cups. United has 1 treble, 3 CL cups.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16918 on: May 19, 2019, 11:18:49 pm »
Those are different trebles though. I think there are two different comparisons. You could look at the number of challenging games to win a treble or the total number of games you need to win a treble. If you count the number of games you need to play and the number of games you need to win, then winning City's treble is harder than than winning the CL.

If on the other hand you count the number of challenging games, then more work needs to go into the comparison. What is a "challenging game" ?

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #16919 on: May 19, 2019, 11:31:18 pm »
No disagreement with the disproportionate financial power of some teams (Chelsea, City) and the top pickings at their disposal. And City are sort of expected to win due to the above. And yes, City got the rub of the green with the teams they faced. And yes, they failed miserably when facing a decent opponent. But still, there is no factual argument that contradicts that a treble of any kind is more difficult than winning the Champions Cup / Champions League. We had 2 trebles, 5 CL cups. United has 1 treble, 3 CL cups.

I would say the recent run of Celtic disproves your theory. They are on for a treble of trebles yet are a million miles away from winning the Champions League. That for me shows that the difficulty in winning a treble is hugely dependant on the teams you have to face.

Add in the fact that a lot of teams rest players for the cup games and it lessens the achievement of City in winning the two domestic cups. In a situation in which teams are rotated for Cup games the team that can field a £300m+ reserve side has a ridiculous advantage. 

The Champions League by definition is the elite competition and far too often Guardiola's teams come up short.
"Ohhh-kayyy"