Author Topic: Having your road blocked by the council  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Andy L

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Having your road blocked by the council
« on: October 6, 2005, 10:29:54 pm »
Need some advice on what (if anything) can be done.
Got a letter throught the door on Monday to say that the council is closing the main road outside mine for the Liverpool 10k run this Sunday.
This was the first that I had heard anything about it, and it was the Labour party telling me and not the council.
Sure enough the council poped a note through the door later that day to advise that the road was being closed. I suspect they had only got round to telling us due to the oppostion Labour party kicking up a bit of a fuss.
The thing is that I am planning to go to Bradford on Sunday morning (and have been for quite a while), but know can't due to this road closure.
I wouldn't have had a problem if we had been given a decent amount of notice, but less than a week seems a bit short to me. I'm sure that they have known about it for several months
What if anything can I do??? Are the council allowed to do this at such short notice?

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Having your road blocked by the council
« Reply #1 on: October 6, 2005, 10:34:21 pm »
You can't do anything. Why would you want to? They are closing the roads for a fun event that will raise thousands for charity. Leave your car down the road and walk.

You're not really after compensation, are you? Did you know about the 10K? Did you know it was coming past your house?

Offline Andy L

• Main Stander
« Reply #2 on: October 6, 2005, 10:37:18 pm »
I don't want compensation, just would like to be able to get out. Be ok if they closed the road in just one direction or something.
Don't get me wrong think it is a great idea the run and if it raises money even better. But the first I heard about it coming near me was Monday.

Pheeny

« Reply #3 on: October 6, 2005, 10:38:05 pm »
can't see what the problem is.They have given you enough notice.As Millsee say's leave your car down the road and walk!

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 6, 2005, 10:38:24 pm »
They will have needed to apply for a temporary road closure order. Which, off the top of my head, they will need to do 4 weeks prior to the event. I think its normal for the stuff to be publicised in the local press and for notices to be put on telegraph poles.

Offline Andy L

• Main Stander
« Reply #5 on: October 6, 2005, 10:41:06 pm »
Only problem with leaving the car down the road is due to the route of the run, would be 40 min walk.
Haven't noticed anything notices up, but I'll check if they were there.

looks like I can't do anything - just wanted to check really

Offline janey

• Anny Roader
  • http://www.serenitymovie.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 6, 2005, 11:33:23 pm »
There's nothing that can be done now. 

But why dont you email your local ward Councillors explaining the lack of notice.  Ask them to rasie it with the relevant dept. on your behalf and to be informed what notice did go out to residents.  If something did go wrong with the process you'll be able to identify it (such as I didn't recieve a letter giving me four weeks notice) and tell your Councillors.  Or you can suggest the Councillors press for better notice in future - if their any good they'll be keen to help.

I have a real thing about active citizenship -  Councils are massive organisations and often rely on residents to feedback on things such as this, and Councillors are paid from your Council Tax money to help you.  While there should be check and balances, its your borough too. 

Offline Roger

• The Derek Acorah of RAWK & Welsh News Correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 6, 2005, 11:39:31 pm »
your Council Tax money 

£109 per month. To collect one bin bag a week. That I forgot to put out on tuesday.

;D

Offline janey

• Anny Roader
  • http://www.serenitymovie.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 7, 2005, 01:01:50 pm »
£109 per month. To collect one bin bag a week. That I forgot to put out on tuesday.

;D

Exactly - demand your money's worth!!  Councils employ people to sort your issues, feedback responses, support Councillors (like myself) - make them work!!

Offline Millsee

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 7, 2005, 02:19:01 pm »
Eh?! 40 minute walk?! For one road closure, methinks not. You're telling me that you can't walk from your front door to any stretch of road that'll be unaffected by this closure in less than 40 minutes?!

Indeed. You can walk 3 miles at a reasonable pace in 40 minutes.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #10 on: October 7, 2005, 03:07:29 pm »
Run to your car, if your quick enough it'll take less than 40mins. I think your just being a lazy boy though!
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!