Author Topic: Arctic Monkeys  (Read 111053 times)

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Arctic Monkeys
« Reply #200 on: March 22, 2006, 06:07:09 pm »
got the album, to see what all the fuss was about. What a waste of a tenner. Just sounds like razorlight, but not as good.

Give it a few more listens.

I havent been listening to anything but it for the last couple of mothns its that good.
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: March 23, 2006, 12:49:34 am »
Hoobastanker you're a star, cheers mate. :wave

I think it's actually The Lakes that I remember him from, quality Jimmy McGovern drama that was on a few years back.

Offline hoobastanker

• Kopite
  • Ye dirty halien Ye
« Reply #202 on: March 23, 2006, 11:02:58 am »
:wave
Xabi for Ireland

Offline Des Lynam

• Left at half-time
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hi, Des here.
« Reply #203 on: March 27, 2006, 12:10:33 am »
Arctic Monkeys reveal EP details

There's four brand new songs, and one well known classic
Arctic Monkeys have revealed details surrounding their eagerly anticipated upcoming EP.

Following in the footsteps of Oasis, Razorlight and The Smiths, the band are putting out a brace of new material just months after the phenomenal success of their debut album 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not'.

The 'Who The Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys' EP will be released on April 24, led by the LP track 'The View From The Afternoon'.

The package will also feature the new songs 'Cigarette Smoker Fiona', 'From Despair To The Departure Lounge', 'No Buses' and 'Who The Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys?'.

http://www.nme.com/news/arctic-monkeys/22595

I should have been at work. Make of that what you will.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #204 on: March 27, 2006, 12:15:54 am »
Good stuff. I'll look forward to seeing if the standard is kept up.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #205 on: March 27, 2006, 01:57:33 am »
   1. This Is England (2006) (post-production)
   2. "Empire" (2005) (mini) TV Series .... Bazzer
   3. Pit Fighter (2005) .... Harry
   4. Last Rights (2005) (TV) .... Steve
   5. "M.I.T.: Murder Investigation Team"
      ... aka Murder Investigation Team (Australia) (International: English title)
          - Episode #2.3 (2005) TV Episode .... Jason Phelps
   6. "Top Buzzer" (2004) TV Series .... Lee
   7. Satan's Little Helper (2004) .... Alex Martin
   8. American Cousins (2003) .... Henry
   9. Without You (2003/I) (TV) .... Billy
  10. The I Inside (2003) .... Travis
  11. Gangs of New York (2002) .... Shang
  12. Flesh and Blood (2002) (TV) .... Eddie
  13. Revengers Tragedy (2002) .... 2nd Officer
  14. "Band of Brothers" (2001) (mini) TV Series .... Sgt. Myron 'Mike' Ranney
  15. The Last Minute (2001) .... DJ Banana
  16. Blow Dry (2001) .... Photographer
      ... aka Über kurz oder lang (Germany)
  17. Snatch. (2000) .... Tommy
  18. Forgive and Forget (2000) (TV) .... John

19. "Coronation Street" (1960) TV Series .... Lee Sankey (1999)
      ... aka Corrie (UK: informal alternative title)
  20. "The Bill"
          - Lock In (1999) TV Episode .... Jezzo
          - Consumers (1999) TV Episode .... Jezzo
          - Room to Manoeuvre (1998) TV Episode .... Jason Barrett
  21. Joint Venture (1998) .... Ace
  22. "Brothers and Sisters" (1998) TV Series .... Andrew
  23. Downtime (1997) .... Jacko
      ... aka Downtime (France)
  24. The Lakes (1997) (TV)
  25. "Where the Heart Is"
          - Darkness Follows (????) TV Episode .... Nick Bowen
  26. Devil's Food (1996) (TV) .... WPKV News Director
  27. "Heartbeat"
          - Riders of the Storm (1993) TV Episode .... Barry Ward
  28. Dancin' Thru the Dark (1990) .... Football Kid

:wave

Graham has vowed never to return to his hometown of Kirby after a vicious, unprovoked attack outside a pub in the town just after the release of Snatch. (2000). Obviously, some people took his role as Tommy a little too seriously.

http://posterchild.livejournal.com/2002/03/05/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 02:09:15 am by JonnyCigarettes® »
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline Sub

• Has a duck like a chicken
  • Legacy Fan
  • For sure.
« Reply #206 on: March 27, 2006, 05:21:15 pm »
Anyone see these on gonzo the other day?? Was good I thought  ;D

New EP sounds good!
'Football is a lie' - Rafael Benitez.

Offline Scuba Steve

• Anny Roader
« Reply #207 on: March 27, 2006, 05:45:02 pm »
Anyone see these on gonzo the other day?? Was good I thought  ;D

Seen it repeated last night, was very good indeed ;D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 10:12:28 am by Scuba Steve »
Wii Console Number - 3562 3745 0299 7927

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: March 27, 2006, 07:51:50 pm »
Can't wait to see these live. They're playing Lyon and mates are going, tempted to hang around and go with them, it's pretty funny when you have to come to France to hear the proper album of a band from Sheffield for the first time, would just top it off if their first gig I see is out here too ;D

Offline Little Alex

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: March 27, 2006, 09:43:48 pm »
Just heard 'Who the fuck are the Arctic Monkeys?' on Zane Lowe. If that's the way their music is heading then I'll be pleased!

Haven't heard any of the others off the EP yet.

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #210 on: March 27, 2006, 10:34:48 pm »
Don't see the fuss really but I'll be seeing them at Oxegen so I'll reserve proper judgement until then.

Offline Carra'sPoundCoin

• Don't you see what's going on out there? Everyone hates us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: March 27, 2006, 11:22:32 pm »
got the album, to see what all the fuss was about. What a waste of a tenner. Just sounds like razorlight, but not as good.

Don't see the fuss really but I'll be seeing them at Oxegen so I'll reserve proper judgement until then.

Their sound may not be unique, both they are nothing like Razorlight.

If you ignore all the hype and the NME wanking over them, it's a superb debut album and a they are a great live band.

Can't wait to hear their new EP
“Aim for the sky and you'll reach the ceiling. Aim for the ceiling and you'll stay on the floor.”

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=11MQnQ8QjJs

Offline Scuba Steve

• Anny Roader
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2006, 10:14:29 am »
Just heard 'Who the fuck are the Arctic Monkeys?' on Zane Lowe. If that's the way their music is heading then I'll be pleased!

Haven't heard any of the others off the EP yet.

Was trying to listen to that last night, but i failed miserably. Think i'll have another go today  ;D

Offline The Cappuccino Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • Aren't we free?
« Reply #213 on: March 29, 2006, 07:22:05 pm »
The only doubt I have about their durability is if they can expand musically. I mean you can't write about life on the streets when you're living the high life and on tour all the time. Hopefully they'll follow the lead of The Streets who still "keep it real" without sounding phoney with their new song "When You Wasn't Famous" being an example of this as they are writing about the perks and pitfalls of fame while keeping the common touch. Hopefully they'll improve in this way and become a bit more versatile as a lack of that was probably my only major criticism of their otherwise excellent album.
Formerly Mr Brightside.

Offline Scuba Steve

• Anny Roader
« Reply #214 on: April 4, 2006, 10:12:08 pm »
' Who The Fuck Are Acrcic Monkeys?' is showing that ther trying out different types of music. I think its quite different in places that some of their other tracks that are out now.

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bargin Booze. Making life richer for the pourer.
« Reply #215 on: April 15, 2006, 10:26:40 am »
Going to watch these down Bournemouth on Monday night at the BIC. Hope its good! Only 15 quid a ticket.
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline Emlyn18

• Sorviodunum SU145305. Tossing over Pat Butcher or Barry Evans. Rhi's girlfriend.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2006, 07:11:35 pm »
Was shit hot last night. Really good live. If you ever get the chance to see these go. Only downer was that the little rent boy Jo Cole was there!! Oh and they had a support band called reverend and the makers who were really good to.
Emlyn, you were a very bad influence on my younger brother in Barcelona! I don't know what you gave him but he was a nuisance the entire day, have banned him from Eindhoven!  :missus

Offline Little Alex

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2006, 07:42:18 pm »
I wouldn't of minded going just for Reverend and the makers, but the tickets went on sale the night of the NME Tour (at Liverpool)  >:(

Were the little flames on as well?

Offline Emlyn18

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2006, 08:06:52 pm »
I wouldn't of minded going just for Reverend and the makers, but the tickets went on sale the night of the NME Tour (at Liverpool)  >:(

Were the little flames on as well?

Are they the ones with the girl as the lead singer?

hoonin

« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2006, 08:06:54 pm »
I'm not really sure if I have posted on this thread, but have been meaning to do so for a couple of weeks now!

Took me a while to go out and buy this album, despite the obvious publicity and also the recommendations on here and from other people I know.

Have to admit that when I bought the album I think my expectations had been set by the views of other people, so when I first put it on I wasnt quite sure what to make of it as I was expecting the worlds greatest record. When it didnt quite match that its fair to say I was a little disappointed.

I left the record alone for 2 or 3 months and only went back to it recently. The second attempt at "getting into it" seems to have been much more successful. Am a big fan of the album now and really enjoy listening to it. I love the edge that it has as opposed to the bland derivitive shite that some British bands seems to be churning out over recent years. I also love the lyrics, which are fresh, quirky, sharp and VERY relevant to British culture.

Seems to me this is one band that wont struggle to to make a second record that is better than their first. I think they have the sound and the lyrics to do so. Cant say the same for a lot of other British bands that have released acclaimed first albums over the last 2 or 3 years.

Offline Emlyn18

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2006, 08:08:00 pm »
I'm not really sure if I have posted on this thread, but have been meaning to do so for a couple of weeks now!

Took me a while to go out and buy this album, despite the obvious publicity and also the recommendations on here and from other people I know.

Have to admit that when I bought the album I think my expectations had been set by the views of other people, so when I first put it on I wasnt quite sure what to make of it as I was expecting the worlds greatest record. When it didnt quite match that its fair to say I was a little disappointed.

I left the record alone for 2 or 3 months and only went back to it recently. The second attempt at "getting into it" seems to have been much more successful. Am a big fan of the album now and really enjoy listening to it. I love the edge that it has as opposed to the bland derivitive shite that some British bands seems to be churning out over recent years. I also love the lyrics, which are fresh, quirky, sharp and VERY relevant to British culture.

Seems to me this is one band that wont struggle to to make a second record that is better than their first. I think they have the sound and the lyrics to do so. Cant say the same for a lot of other British bands that have released acclaimed first albums over the last 2 or 3 years.

What he said!

Offline Little Alex

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: April 18, 2006, 08:29:03 pm »
Are they the ones with the girl as the lead singer?

Yeah. I wasn't sure if it was them or Milburn as the support (personally I prefer Milburn).

Seems to me this is one band that wont struggle to to make a second record that is better than their first. I think they have the sound and the lyrics to do so.

After listening to one or two of the songs from gigs they've done in America and the songs on the new EP I think they'll have no problems producing a second album to compete with the first. If you haven't heard any of these already I'll try and find a link for you to have a listen.

hoonin

« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2006, 08:56:42 pm »
I'm convinced this is some sort of set up, or in joke at radio one - kind of a "lets test out how powerful we really are, and whether we can truly MAKE a shite band huge" thing.

They really are piss poor, this Artic monkeys lot, and I've heard a few songs now. Just nothing there at all. Sub standard badly performed schoolkid garage rock,

If Radio had not decided to push them so forcibly, they'd be nothing. And the world would be a better place for it.

I just can't believe so many people are suceptible to marketing hype, rather than trusting their own ears.

What a profoundly ignorant and pompous contribution. Who appointed you arbiter of musical taste?

Obviously your own musical preference  permits you an opinion, but who are you to say other peoples opinions are not grounded in what they found out for themselves? I dont get British radio in Germany, neither do I have access to any music magazines (which I would not buy anyway), yet I managed to make up my own mind. The conclussion is I think they are a good band who will get better.

Who are you to say I am not capable of making up my own mind?

Offline Paul_McG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2006, 09:20:19 pm »
New EP sounds good to me , Cigarette Smoker has been polished and improved lyric wise since I heard the demo ages ago.

"Despair in the departure longe" is not really a departure for them (pun pun)

No Buses - mediocre

fav track just for the fact they are taking the piss out of all the hype has to be the title track "Who the fuck are the Arctic Monkeys" reminds me of Vampires when I heard the rough version.

Think it will do really well again due to Radio play of "View from the afternoon"

Cracking band overall , live they are even better but getting tickets now is a fucking joke.

Offline Emlyn18

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2006, 09:51:29 pm »
Yeah. I wasn't sure if it was them or Milburn as the support (personally I prefer Milburn).

Yeah they (little flames) were there. Didnt go much on them to be honest.

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: April 19, 2006, 11:05:06 am »
Going to see them in Wolvo tonight. I hope its worth the £14 i paid for the ticket. (Unlike my mate who paid £45 off Ebay ;D )
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

• Legacy Fan
  • Aren't we free?
« Reply #226 on: April 19, 2006, 04:00:23 pm »
For fucks sake, the thing that pisses me off is the way people are wanking over the lyrics. Fair play, they're half decent but anyone who's half-decent at English and done it at A level could come out with stuff like that. Fucking hell, some of the stuff I've wrote is better, lyrically than quite a bit of their stuff.

Still a decent band though.
Formerly Mr Brightside.

Offline Emlyn18

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: April 19, 2006, 06:35:59 pm »
For fucks sake, the thing that pisses me off is the way people are wanking over the lyrics. Fair play, they're half decent but anyone who's half-decent at English and done it at A level could come out with stuff like that. Fucking hell, some of the stuff I've wrote is better, lyrically than quite a bit of their stuff.

People wank over there lyrics?

Offline L7 Red

• Kopite
  • Kensington is Red
« Reply #228 on: April 19, 2006, 08:09:56 pm »
Think the album is boss meself, favourites are View..., Fake Tales..., Dancing Shoes,Red Light Indicates...,Mardy Bum, When The Sun Goes Down, Ritz To The Rubble and A Certain Romance.

Oh and I made me own mind up.
"Oh that's boys own stuff but it's been that sort of night and it's been wonderful too see"

• Legacy Fan
  • Aren't we free?
« Reply #229 on: April 19, 2006, 08:57:13 pm »
People wank over there lyrics?

The NME certainly do and pretentious critics do who claim "oooh, their lyrics are such much better than those dullards Coldplay." The fact is that there are plenty of unisgned bands around who write equally good and perhaps better lyrics.
Formerly Mr Brightside.

Offline Paul_McG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #230 on: April 19, 2006, 11:04:18 pm »

Good job your English is half decent.

I am sure you have written better lyrics and wish you all the same hype and success.

Offline Sub

• Has a duck like a chicken
  • Legacy Fan
  • For sure.
« Reply #231 on: April 21, 2006, 06:02:46 pm »
The NME certainly do and pretentious critics do who claim "oooh, their lyrics are such much better than those dullards Coldplay." The fact is that there are plenty of unisgned bands around who write equally good and perhaps better lyrics.

NME wank over everyone, they hype anything and everything they can up, even if it's shite.  But i'm sure they arctic monkeys aren't complaining, and i'm pretty sure i woudln't be complaining if I was in the middle of the hype.  They're good enough to pull it off, and alex turner has sent out the message `don't believe t'hype`.  He's even wrote a song about all their hype which is on the new EP, `who the fuck are arctic monkeys`.
'Football is a lie' - Rafael Benitez.

Offline Emlyn18

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: April 21, 2006, 06:54:32 pm »
  He's even wrote a song about all their hype which is on the new EP, `who the fuck are arctic monkeys`.

Good song that.

Offline Raz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: April 27, 2006, 03:36:48 am »
New EP now out. F*cking class.
He then starts trying to punch the ghost and starts telling it to fuck off

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #234 on: May 22, 2006, 08:01:44 pm »
Film Four Weekly, 10pm, tonight- premiere of Scummy Man.

Offline ckkj

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #235 on: May 22, 2006, 08:07:01 pm »
And on a related note Andy Nicholson who is the bassist has quit the band

Offline Des Lynam

• Left at half-time
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hi, Des here.
« Reply #236 on: May 22, 2006, 08:07:15 pm »
Star out on eve of North American tour
Arctic Monkeys bassist Andy Nicholson is out of the band.

The group are expected to tour North America later this month and throughout June without the bassist.

"Owing to fatigue following an intensive period of touring, Andy Nicholson shall be taking a rest and will not be accompanying Arctic Monkeys on their forthcoming tour of North America," the band explained in a statement.

They added: "Nick O'Malley shall be standing in for Andy on the tour which begins in Vancouver on May 27th. We all wish Andy a speedy recovery."

The band are due to return to Europe in July for festivals, including T In The Park (July 9).

Also this summer there's a planned visit to Australia and Japan, before coming back to play the Carling Weekend: Reading and Leeds Festivals at the end of August.

Stay tuned to NME.COM for the latest developments.

www.nme.com
I should have been at work. Make of that what you will.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #237 on: May 23, 2006, 11:49:43 am »
Overdoing it on the charlie, by all accounts. Probably checking into rehab.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #238 on: May 24, 2006, 11:31:31 am »
Overdoing it on the charlie, by all accounts. Probably checking into rehab.

These chaps need to get some advice off primal scream about pacing themselves.
Hope he recovers in time for July, I don't want some fucker telling me, " the original line up was so much better."

Offline Little Alex

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: June 3, 2006, 07:54:48 pm »
"Lanky Peter Crouch leaves Prince William highly amused yesterday with his robotic dance celebrations.

Wills dropped in on an England training session and asked the 6ft 7in star to repeat the routine - which we can reveal was inspired by the Arctic Monkeys hit 'I bet you look good on the Dancefloor'.

The royal burst out laughing and called the performance "Classic". Soccer clown prince Peter, 25 - who had also had team-mates in stitches - said "It feels surreal. he's the future king of England and I've done a dance in front of him. I don't know how he talked me into it. I had to throw the shapes in and he seemed pretty pleased with it."
The celebration, which Peter showed off in the 3-1 win over hungary, is in tribute to the Arctic Monkeys lyric: "Dancing to electro pop like a robot from 1984." "

Don't know how true that is?