Author Topic: Deadwood  (Read 30911 times)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Deadwood
« Reply #120 on: September 22, 2014, 08:55:09 pm »
Wasn't just his fault, ultimately HBO were the ones that pulled the plug.  They offered Milch six more episodes, but by then he had his head in another project.  There was going to be two, two hour movies but they fell by the wayside.
Could it ever return?

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2014, 09:23:48 am »
Could it ever return?
Watched 9 episodes after work yesterday.....only 2 left :'(

Considering some of the turgid crap that gets churned out these days (True Blood got 8 seasons ffs) I can't believe it got shit-canned in full flow....

I notice the Earp's have just rocked up, surely you don't do that if you're about to shit-can something?

So what happened that meant HBO cut this sort of quality? They run out of whiskey or summit?
HBO gave a truncated fourth season, which would of been the last, they greenlight, six episodes apparently.  Milch rejected the offer due to bad experiences with short order renewals, well, that's his story. A lot of people feel he just lost interest and wanted to concentrate on his new show, John From Cincinnati.

The reason for HBO cutting Deadwood short was a financial one, it was notoriously expensive, they basically built the town of Deadwood from scratch.  In 2007 Milch and HBO agreed to make a two hour film, this fell by the wayside, the sets have now been demolished.  Deadwood is dead.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2014, 09:57:00 am »
Dan Dority is a c*nt. Hate him so much.

Spoiler
The moment of the fight in season's 2 opening episode where Al is ready to knife Bullock and sees the little kid's look on his face and says "Welcome to fucking Deadwood"  ;D
[close]
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2014, 10:05:27 am »
Dan Dority is a c*nt. Hate him so much.

Spoiler
The moment of the fight in season's 2 opening episode where Al is ready to knife Bullock and sees the little kid's look on his face and says "Welcome to fucking Deadwood"  ;D
[close]
I loved him! Thought he was a brilliant character :wave

Jewel: I put out cinnamon.
Dan Dority: Where?
Jewel: The meeting table.
Dan Dority: On whose instruction?
Jewel: Cinnamon's good with peaches.
Dan Dority: Do not put unauthorized cinnamon on the goddamn meeting table! That's all the fuck we need.

;D ;D ;D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2014, 10:12:44 am »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2014, 10:13:57 am »
I loved him! Thought he was a brilliant character :wave

Jewel: I put out cinnamon.
Dan Dority: Where?
Jewel: The meeting table.
Dan Dority: On whose instruction?
Jewel: Cinnamon's good with peaches.
Dan Dority: Do not put unauthorized cinnamon on the goddamn meeting table! That's all the fuck we need.

;D ;D ;D

Yeah they all had their lines and comical situations but even then, wasn't fan of his delivery but mainly I hated him for what he was. The other errand boy, John, was by far funnier for me.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:15:54 am by Yiannis »

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2014, 10:14:11 am »
Dan Dority is a c*nt.
No way. He's superb. Him and Johnny were good team.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2014, 10:30:47 am »
I liked Dan and the way he developed.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: September 23, 2014, 12:05:14 pm »
Don't like Toliver or Hearst.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2014, 12:08:26 pm »
Dority was one of my favourite characters, him and Johnny were brilliant, as was Adams.

"Look likes your mother fucked a monkey."

Offline Card Cheat

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2014, 12:12:51 pm »
Don't like Toliver or Hearst.

Were you caught pickling your prick in the c*nt brine of another?

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 23, 2014, 01:32:28 pm »
Just clocked Ray Donovans wife in the first episode.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: September 23, 2014, 01:33:31 pm »
Just clocked Ray Donovans wife in the first episode.
Loves getting her hooters out!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: September 23, 2014, 05:39:00 pm »
Don't think much of the theatre lot introduced in s3. Only 2 episodes left.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #134 on: September 23, 2014, 06:01:45 pm »
Don't think much of the theatre lot introduced in s3. Only 2 episodes left.

that death scene was one of the best moments of all three seasons though.  they're worth it just for that.

the theatre lot frustrate me because there was a lot of potential there, and the whole season was spent setting them up, only for it to go nowhere due to cancellation.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: September 24, 2014, 10:46:17 am »
that death scene was one of the best moments of all three seasons though.  they're worth it just for that.

the theatre lot frustrate me because there was a lot of potential there, and the whole season was spent setting them up, only for it to go nowhere due to cancellation.
Was it cancelled after season 3?

Watched it all now. Just leaves you wanting more. Jane was the most outstanding character in the show though.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2014, 11:09:34 am »
Milch is on record saying he wrote the final episodes knowing that they were likely to be the last. 

Personally love the way it ended, although I didn't think that at the time.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: September 24, 2014, 11:17:36 am »
You know what, damn you guys. :)

I don't have enough free time as is and I've just placed all seasons on my download list.
Ah well... re-watch was always going to happen anyway.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #138 on: September 24, 2014, 11:53:03 am »
Midway season 2 and I loathe the fact what follows up almost till the end of the series.
Spoiler
Death of the William kid and Hearst, the utter c*nt and Walcott already preparing the ground for him
[close]

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: September 24, 2014, 12:02:40 pm »
Season 3.
Spoiler
pissed off Elsworthy died
[close]

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: September 24, 2014, 01:31:39 pm »
quick question for those who've watched the whole thing to refresh my memory as i try to rerun the series in my head...

Spoiler
what was the deal with ellsworth and alma's marriage?  it seemed to fall apart for no obvious reason that i can remember.
[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Card Cheat

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: September 24, 2014, 01:59:26 pm »
quick question for those who've watched the whole thing to refresh my memory as i try to rerun the series in my head...

Spoiler
what was the deal with ellsworth and alma's marriage?  it seemed to fall apart for no obvious reason that i can remember.
[close]

Spoiler
I remember it as just a marriage of convenience which ran its course.

Good explanation here
[close]

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: September 24, 2014, 02:44:53 pm »
Spoiler
I remember it as just a marriage of convenience which ran its course.

Good explanation here
[close]

Spoiler
i don't think 'marriage of convenience' does it justice - there was love there, even if not the same kind of passion as between her and bullock, say - but that explanation in the article makes sense.  i remember it being a bit out of character for ellsworth though, just to give up on her so easily when the dope reemerged, rather than trying to bring her back down.  maybe that was just me hoping for a happy ending for one of my favourite characters (and boy, did he ever not get that...)
[close]

Offline Card Cheat

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: September 24, 2014, 02:57:14 pm »
Spoiler
i don't think 'marriage of convenience' does it justice - there was love there, even if not the same kind of passion as between her and bullock, say - but that explanation in the article makes sense.  i remember it being a bit out of character for ellsworth though, just to give up on her so easily when the dope reemerged, rather than trying to bring her back down.  maybe that was just me hoping for a happy ending for one of my favourite characters (and boy, did he ever not get that...)
[close]

Spoiler
Whitney...   ;D
[close]

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2014, 09:19:14 am »
Always made me laugh

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2014, 10:56:41 am »

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: October 7, 2014, 12:31:36 pm »
Did anyone watch Milch's 'John From Cincinnati' or 'Deadwood' killer as I like to call it ?

I picked up the dvd second hand for Ł3 and gave the first episode a go, I really liked it.  It has a cracking cast, Rebecca De Mornay, Bruce Greenwood, Luke Perry, Luis Guzmán, Jim Beaver, Jennifer Grey.  It has quite a mysterious atmosphere, everything is a little weird.

Don't know how it progresses, or if it has an ending, but I look forward to watching the rest.

Oh, and in typical Milch fashion, the word 'fuck' is used at least 100 times in the pilot alone.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2014, 12:33:30 pm by rob1408 »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #147 on: October 9, 2014, 11:50:08 am »
Finished watching it last night. Had certainly forgotten few things. All in all, just wonderful. Season 3 was great just for the transformation of Al's character alone and what happened in the camp with that evil c*nt Hurst. God I wanna gut him.

The end is not what it should have been but we all know what happened there so no need to go back there. By far one of the best series.

"Wu...Swedgen...Hengai"

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #148 on: October 9, 2014, 02:27:32 pm »
Did anyone watch Milch's 'John From Cincinnati' or 'Deadwood' killer as I like to call it ?

I picked up the dvd second hand for Ł3 and gave the first episode a go, I really liked it.  It has a cracking cast, Rebecca De Mornay, Bruce Greenwood, Luke Perry, Luis Guzmán, Jim Beaver, Jennifer Grey.  It has quite a mysterious atmosphere, everything is a little weird.

Don't know how it progresses, or if it has an ending, but I look forward to watching the rest.

Oh, and in typical Milch fashion, the word 'fuck' is used at least 100 times in the pilot alone.

I watched it all and it didn't last long, but I loved it - or rather, I loved what it promised to become. Having said that, I couldn't begin to tell you exactly what it would have turned into, but it was turning that corner and about to reveal its soul and its purpose when it just stopped. Fucking gutted. I loved the characters and I could feel that they were going to get better and better, but it wasn't meant to be. Fucking shame.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: October 9, 2014, 02:41:36 pm »
I watched it all and it didn't last long, but I loved it - or rather, I loved what it promised to become. Having said that, I couldn't begin to tell you exactly what it would have turned into, but it was turning that corner and about to reveal its soul and its purpose when it just stopped. Fucking gutted. I loved the characters and I could feel that they were going to get better and better, but it wasn't meant to be. Fucking shame.
It's a shame, I've watched a few more episodes and I really like it, it has that Twin Peaks thing going on, where things are off kilter.

Milch doesn't have much luck.  Deadwood, John From Cincinnati, Luck all cancelled for one reason or another and his latest, The Money, has been scrapped before the pilot even aired. All with HBO.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: October 9, 2014, 02:48:09 pm »
Hhhmmm Deadwood has a lot to answer for!

I'm barely watching anything right now.....everything seems to have the volume turned down and the colour muted since Deadwood :'(

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: October 9, 2014, 02:55:15 pm »
Hhhmmm Deadwood has a lot to answer for!

I'm barely watching anything right now.....everything seems to have the volume turned down and the colour muted since Deadwood :'(
Have you watched Rome ?  I think that's what I watched after and I really enjoyed it.  I also watched Carnivale around the same time and I loved that.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: October 9, 2014, 03:05:27 pm »
Have you watched Rome ?  I think that's what I watched after and I really enjoyed it.  I also watched Carnivale around the same time and I loved that.
I've got loads to watch....just really struggling with everything, even the good stuff!

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #153 on: October 9, 2014, 03:42:57 pm »
It's a shame, I've watched a few more episodes and I really like it, it has that Twin Peaks thing going on, where things are off kilter.

Milch doesn't have much luck.  Deadwood, John From Cincinnati, Luck all cancelled for one reason or another and his latest, The Money, has been scrapped before the pilot even aired. All with HBO.

I forgot about that one. I wonder what the problem is that keeps getting these things cut short. The sort of obvious answer would be budgets out of control, but it's hard to see why it would cost more than something like "Ray Donovan" and I'm sure it would have at least equal numbers of viewers (and it would have been on a subscriber network anyway). "The Luck" had the death of the horse (I think) which hurried its cancellation, but I think it was heading that way anyway.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #154 on: October 9, 2014, 03:57:37 pm »
A few horses, I think. So they started using stock footage. But the horse death was a reason cited for cancellation.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: October 9, 2014, 05:36:19 pm »
A few horses, I think. So they started using stock footage. But the horse death was a reason cited for cancellation.
May have done better in France or Asia then ::) ;D

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2015, 09:08:47 am »
Don't get your hopes up a lot but...

Garret Dillahunt ‏@garretdillahunt  7h7 hours ago
So uh....I'm hearing credible rumors about a #Deadwood movie.  #Everybodypray

Guy's the dude that played Francis Walcott, aka bit of a psycho. Now that I mentioned, few roles of him have been more or less like that.

Anyway...

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2015, 09:12:50 am »

As long as they got the original cast together

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2015, 09:15:24 am »
I would Keegan style love it if this happened.  One of the best shows to ever grace the screen.

Rumours of a movie have been floating about for a while though.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2015, 09:31:52 am »
Variety -

A spokesman for HBO confirmed to Variety that “very preliminary discussions” have been made to resurrect the Western series with a movie, though it’s unclear how serious the premium channel is about the pic.

Deadline say the talks are about a small screen movie to air on HBO.

Praying to Jebus this happens.