Author Topic: 2018 in Music  (Read 126520 times)

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
2018 in Music
« on: December 31, 2017, 10:30:42 pm »
 :wave

Top of the new year, folks.

So it begins. New BRMC and Ty Segall belting out new ones in Jan. No doubt a slew of others to follow in the mad house of new music.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Re: 2018 in Music
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 11:11:30 pm »
Wooohoooo. The best thread on here so thank you Alonso  :)

Ryley Walker has a new one out so that is something to look forward too.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 1, 2018, 04:16:13 am »
Calexico: 'The Thread That Keeps Us', release date 26 Jan 2018
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 1, 2018, 12:18:43 pm »
Flashing Blade PM'ed me to say he's really looking forward to the new Simple Minds LP out in February :P

Jonathan Wilson - Rare Birds out at the start of March, currently my most wanted.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #4 on: January 1, 2018, 12:28:55 pm »
Looking forward to the new Django Django release this month
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: January 1, 2018, 12:47:49 pm »
The prospect of new stuff from Craig David, Joe Satriani and the Arctic Monkeys has got me all in a tizzy.

Hopefully they finally get together and do a collaborative album. That would be aural nirvana.

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 1, 2018, 01:03:25 pm »
Happy New Year musos.

Field Music, Hot Snakes and another Shabazz Palaces album before summer. Go! 

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #7 on: January 2, 2018, 09:03:43 am »
:wave

Top of the new year, folks.

So it begins. New BRMC and Ty Segall belting out new ones in Jan. No doubt a slew of others to follow in the mad house of new music.

Nice reminder of the upcoming BRMC one to start the year!

Plenty I'm looking forward to already - hopefully seeing The Cribs again late this month, and I've already got tickets for Ezra Furman, British Sea Power, Sleeper, Manic Street Preachers, and The Bluetones during the first half of the year.  I'd like to catch Noel & Liam's shows in Manchester too, as well as Shed Seven who I saw for the first time on the Friday before Christmas.

The Manics' new record is probably the one I'm most looking forward to.  If I can have even close to the year I had in 2017 for 'new to me' music, I'll be very happy indeed.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #8 on: January 2, 2018, 10:52:58 am »
Flashing Blade PM'ed me to say he's really looking forward to the new Simple Minds LP out in February :P

oooh! yes, lets show  these upstarts what real Dad rock is like! Actually tad unfair on SM , there inital period was really good mixing the emrging Euro dance music with retrained rock, peaking  with the majestic and sublime " New Gold Dream" Lp (which I strongly recommend if youve never heard it.) Sadly after that they decided to sack their creative direction and wanted to be bigger than U2 and joining the stadium rock groups.

Back to 2018, really excited not just for what new music surprises me but delving into the past with Amsterdams 16 ( yes! 16!!) vinyl shops!...and not for a very long time have I had the precious commodity of time to listen to music which hopefully I will have this year

Also for anyone who doesnt already  listen,  check out Tom Ravenscorfts shows on Radio 6 in 2018, a fantastic source of new music in various styles....he's a chip off the old block!
« Last Edit: January 2, 2018, 10:55:05 am by Flashing Through The Snow In One Horse Open Blade »

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #9 on: January 4, 2018, 12:46:31 pm »

It's 2016 and we've got Bruno Mars making Cameo sounding hits.

What a time to be alive.  8)

I'm disappointed with that :) besides his high vocals in the chorus, which are the best parts of the song by far imo, the rest seems weak and contrived  :-\  Even the bits of attempted lovable 80's funk at times didn't enthral me.

Giving this a first listen.    :wave

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LsoLEjrDogU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LsoLEjrDogU</a>

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #10 on: January 5, 2018, 10:38:42 am »

Kendrick Lamar's new track for the Marvel's Black Panther film.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/GfCqMv--ncA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/GfCqMv--ncA</a>

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 5, 2018, 01:25:15 pm »
Really hoping HMLTD release an album. Loving all their stuff so far.

Offline Brooklyn

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: January 5, 2018, 03:41:16 pm »
The Jeff Rosenstock surprise albums sounds good to me so far.

Also really looking forward to the new Go! Team release in a few weeks.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 5, 2018, 06:17:14 pm »

Giving this a first listen.    :wave

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LsoLEjrDogU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LsoLEjrDogU</a>

Cardi B is great.  :-*

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #14 on: January 8, 2018, 09:41:12 pm »
http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/david-byrne-announces-new-solo-album-american-utopia-102807

New David Byrne alert

Also, for all the country / Americana heads, check out:

https://ttchilders.bandcamp.com/releases

Tyler Childers new album produced by Sturgill Simpson. Sounds really good on first couple of listens. He’s touring Zulu in Jan / Feb too.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #15 on: January 9, 2018, 02:14:52 pm »
Well excited for the new BC Camplight this year. Also Vampire Weekend and U.S. Girls.

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/albums/release-date/coming-soon/date
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 9, 2018, 05:01:43 pm »
http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/david-byrne-announces-new-solo-album-american-utopia-102807

New David Byrne alert

Also, for all the country / Americana heads, check out:

https://ttchilders.bandcamp.com/releases

Tyler Childers new album produced by Sturgill Simpson. Sounds really good on first couple of listens. He’s touring Zulu in Jan / Feb too.

That Tyler Childers album from last year is pretty cool, he's definitely one to watch. Hoping to go see him playing with Colter Wall in Glasgow this February, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it.  :( That Celtic Connections festival they do up there is great, they get loads of really, really good acts.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 12:09:12 pm »
New singles from Holy Now, The Radio Dept., Frankie Cosmos, Khruangbin, and U.S. Girls out now.  :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:50:20 pm by telekon »
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 01:38:06 pm »
New First Aid Kit Lp  out next week...heard couple of tracks which sound nice...think my first purchase of 2018.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 01:49:04 pm »
Can't get used to Thee Oh Sees becoming OCS...for those unfortunate of us enough to have come of age during the fabled 'Britpop' era, it only means one thing...Ocean Colour Scene ;D

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 01:49:59 pm »
Sweet, looking forward to checking out the Frankie Cosmos single.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 02:21:53 pm »
Can't get used to Thee Oh Sees becoming OCS...for those unfortunate of us enough to have come of age during the fabled 'Britpop' era, it only means one thing...Ocean Colour Scene ;D
;D Great spot! I was wondering why those letters were nagging away at the inside of my cerebellum...

Nowt unfortunate about Ocean Colour Scene, loved Moseley Shoals as a nipper I did, some dead catchy tunes on there. Did they even exist after that album, I sort of lost interest in Britpop after the first year of secondary school? Still remember a fair few of those songs though - Riverboat Song, Policemen and Pirates, the Day we Caught the Train...

Mo-oh Salah, Mo-oh Salah...

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 05:26:54 pm »

out of intrest what is music 'coming of age'..Id say must be sort of 14 to 16?

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 05:29:48 pm »
out of intrest what is music 'coming of age'..Id say must be sort of 14 to 16?

I listened to (mainly) awful music when I first started from 12-14, then wised up a bit at 15 and got the first Velvets LP at 16...maybe I was a slow starter though. It was definitely (maybe) 12-14 when I first started buying albums though. Can't believe some of the shit I bought. half of it is in the 90s indie appreciation thread now ;D

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 05:31:58 pm »
;D Great spot! I was wondering why those letters were nagging away at the inside of my cerebellum...

Nowt unfortunate about Ocean Colour Scene, loved Moseley Shoals as a nipper I did, some dead catchy tunes on there. Did they even exist after that album, I sort of lost interest in Britpop after the first year of secondary school? Still remember a fair few of those songs though - Riverboat Song, Policemen and Pirates, the Day we Caught the Train...

Mo-oh Salah, Mo-oh Salah...

I'm sad enough to have bought their B-sides album ;D I only remember one song after Moseley Shoals though...100 Mile High City?

They did turn me on to the Small Faces though so everyone has their purpose...and they had PP Arnold supporting them on the tour I saw them on (Manchester Apollo maybe?) so they did well there.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 09:11:28 pm »
The new Nap Eyes song is exceptional.

The new Jonathan Wilson sounds sluggish, which is disappointing.

Courtney Marie Andrews new song is great too.

HC Mcentire from Mount Moriah and Angel Olsen’s band has a solo album out in two weeks.

What’s people’s view on Shame? Lot of hype

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 12:10:00 am »
Laurie Anderson and the Kronos Quartet: 'Landfall'
release date: 16 Feb 2018

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xqb-4-IqHMc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xqb-4-IqHMc</a>
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 12:29:28 pm »
For the post-punk devotees. Shame's debut, "Song of Praise". Sounding very good on first listen. Bit of a Rolling Coaster Blackout Fever vibe here, too.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:55:07 pm by Alonso_The_Assassin »

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 12:49:27 pm »
Laurie Anderson and the Kronos Quartet: 'Landfall'
release date: 16 Feb 2018

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xqb-4-IqHMc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xqb-4-IqHMc</a>

Not 100% sold on that but on paper a full album sounds like it could be great.  30 tracks long or something?

Looking forward to hearing Nap Eyes. Moving from POB the Jagajaguar which I guess is a bigger label.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 01:30:23 pm »
Looking forward to hearing Nap Eyes. Moving from POB the Jagajaguar which I guess is a bigger label.

They might need it, saw them in Manchester last year and it was hilarious to see them packing all their gear and themselves into a tiny hatchback and head off to the next tour date! ;D

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 01:53:49 pm »
New Xyloris White too. Lute and Drums.  What a treat. 2018 off to a flyer.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_ZCOGqTRQug" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_ZCOGqTRQug</a>

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 02:21:14 pm »
That video is great!

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2018, 02:53:16 pm »
haha! thats ace! ;D

Offline Jokerfish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Nothing to see here move along now.
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2018, 03:36:48 pm »
Bit of a long shot ere.  I'm involved with a band who are just starting up and are hopefully moving onto big things,  they've got a national tour planned for Feb and are after some digs whilst they gig.  They're lovely lads, no trouble at all and are great musicians, all work part time in bars to get by amd work hard at what they do.  Taken me a while to get into their tunes but some of the new ones are amazing, Nirvana meets the Smiths.  One of their more recent ones here but the new stuff is better.  Only need a room with enough space for 4 of them to kip, so if anyone has space for them in these cities for a night after their gig or close enough would be sound.  May well be one of the next big things.  They're called False Heads

1st Feb  Glasgow
2nd Feb Middlesbrough
3rd Feb Gig in Blackpool can stay there or Liverpool
4th Feb Cardiff
8th Feb Cambridge
9th Feb Bury St Edmunds
14th Feb Nottingham
25th Feb Manchester

more info here: http://www.falseheads.com/

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2018, 04:18:51 pm »
Bit of a long shot ere.  I'm involved with a band who are just starting up and are hopefully moving onto big things,  they've got a national tour planned for Feb and are after some digs whilst they gig.  They're lovely lads, no trouble at all and are great musicians, all work part time in bars to get by amd work hard at what they do.  Taken me a while to get into their tunes but some of the new ones are amazing, Nirvana meets the Smiths.  One of their more recent ones here but the new stuff is better.  Only need a room with enough space for 4 of them to kip, so if anyone has space for them in these cities for a night after their gig or close enough would be sound.  May well be one of the next big things.  They're called False Heads

1st Feb  Glasgow
2nd Feb Middlesbrough
3rd Feb Gig in Blackpool can stay there or Liverpool
4th Feb Cardiff
8th Feb Cambridge
9th Feb Bury St Edmunds
14th Feb Nottingham
25th Feb Manchester

more info here: http://www.falseheads.com/
You'd better be good ;)
Reports on my desk, Monday.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2018, 04:30:27 pm »
They're lovely lads, no trouble at all and are great musicians,

you need to sort that out then and kick it out of them ;)

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2018, 05:56:39 pm »
Wrong Creatures by BRMC sounds good.

Offline Jokerfish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Nothing to see here move along now.
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2018, 09:34:35 pm »
you need to sort that out then and kick it out of them ;)

They have their moments ;-)  Danny Fields of Ramones fame is a big fan

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2018, 10:50:49 pm »
Wrong Creatures by BRMC sounds good.

I liked it. Think it was better than anything they've put out in a while. Not to shit on any of their last couple of albums, but the new one stands out for me a lot more, can definitely see myself revisiting it more.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2018, 11:24:35 pm »
Well excited for the new BC Camplight this year
Seconded