Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 387678 times)

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
The Walking Dead
« on: July 26, 2010, 09:13:11 pm »
For anyone who doesn't know, The Walking Dead is a monthly comic chronicling the days, months and years after Rick Grimes, a cop and the comic's leading character, get's shot in a gun battle and ends up in a coma, only to awake from it to find that the world has been plunged into a flesh-eating zombie infested Hell. He then sets out to find his wife and kid. Not very original sounding, I know, but TWD is more to do with it's characters and how they change over time to adapt and survive in the environment they now find themselves in.

AMC (Breaking Bad) have now picked it up to turn it into a TV series and is now in full production with some top talent working on it, including Frank Darabont (Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) who will be directing the pilot, from the producers of The Terminator and Aliens, as well as a musical score from Battlestar Galactica's Bear McCreary and special effects from one of the very best in the industry by Greg Nicotero, I just can't see how this can't turn out to be anything other than amazing. It airs in the UK on FX this October.

Here's a leaked trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDAFflJkQoE

Looks good, no?

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:22:59 pm »
I thought the comic was pretty poor and gave up on it after a while, but a zombie TV series from Frank Darabont is something to be very excited about, really can't wait for this. I've seen some pics of the zombies and they look great, they are the really rotten, falling to pieces style of zombie.

Andrew Lincoln is playing the lead character, why do the Americans keep stealing our actors for their TV shows?
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline fivein05

• Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 09:28:39 pm »
isn't it just a remake of 28 Days?
One poster on this site is going to let me down this season! Don't let it be you!

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 09:36:23 pm »
isn't it just a remake of 28 Days?
No. It is nothing like 28 Days whatsoever. Bar the opening scenes, which 28 Days nicked off Day of the Triffids anyway, this series has absolutely nothing in common. In fact, the creatures in 28 Days aren't even zombies. They're more mutants than corpses, and don't kill by eating their victims. These are the Romero-style zombie, but done right. Romero just invented the genre, but this is the first time I've seen it being taken on by people who are actually good at what they do. Romero is overrated IMO and his work would be nothing but for the special effects artists like  Nicotero and Tom Savini.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 09:45:59 pm »
Romero is overrated IMO and his work would be nothing but for the special effects artists like  Nicotero and Tom Savini.

The hell you say! Romero's script, story and subtext in Night and Dawn are just as important as the SFX (as fantastic as they are) in making them classics.

Anyway, this does look miles away from 28 Days. Best of all, slow moving zombies

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 09:52:23 pm »
The hell you say! Romero's script, story and subtext in Night and Dawn are just as important as the SFX (as fantastic as they are) in making them classics.

Anyway, this does look miles away from 28 Days. Best of all, slow moving zombies
True, Night and Dawn are classics in their own right, but for obvious reasons that they were the beginnings of a genre, but I think Romero's best work was Day. After that, his films have been really piss poor. Dairy and Survival of the dead were absolutely terrible.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 10:00:29 pm »
True, Night and Dawn are classics in their own right, but for obvious reasons that they were the beginnings of a genre, but I think Romero's best work was Day. After that, his films have been really piss poor. Dairy and Survival of the dead were absolutely terrible.

I can't look past Dawn for my favourite, it's a perfect movie and one of my favourites of all time. I do like Day though, it's a lot of fun but it sags a little in the middle.

I thought Diary was terrible too, Romero was following the crowd (first person, shaky cam) rather than making his own path. I haven't seen Survival yet but a few of the reviews I've read say it's a real return to form and it's almost like a zombie western. I don't even think it's been released over here yet?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 10:22:12 pm »
I can't look past Dawn for my favourite, it's a perfect movie and one of my favourites of all time. I do like Day though, it's a lot of fun but it sags a little in the middle.

I thought Diary was terrible too, Romero was following the crowd (first person, shaky cam) rather than making his own path. I haven't seen Survival yet but a few of the reviews I've read say it's a real return to form and it's almost like a zombie western. I don't even think it's been released over here yet?
Survival didn't even get a cinematic release, not that I'm aware of anyway. It went straight to DVD, but you can find it online if you know what I mean. Parts of it were done well. There were some good scenes in it, but towards the end it just got really silly and the whole thing feels like an afterthought of the terrible Dairy. It was just cheap, and not once during the whole film did I ever get a sense of tension that's supposed to exist in any kind of Horror. Day of the Dead was IMO his best because it had what all iconic films of that decade had, and that was excellent special effects and a memorable music score, not to mention some classic lines and jumpy moments. Romero's latest works try to do these things, but he fails miserably. Survival isn't a bad watch, but only if you're an absolute fan of Romero, and even then I think you'll find it disappointing.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 09:15:51 am »
I've been reading The Walking Dead for a while, it's absolutely brilliant. When I heard that AMC had picked it up and Darabont was involved, I nearly wet myself. This is going to be the best TV show for a long time. There's a rumour that George Romero may be directing an episode. It's already been picked up for a second season, too.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 10:37:04 am »
Bout time we had a Zombie TV series
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 12:07:31 pm »
For anyone who doesn't know, The Walking Dead is a monthly comic chronicling the days, months and years after Rick Grimes, a cop and the comic's leading character, get's shot in a gun battle and ends up in a coma, only to awake from it to find that the world has been plunged into a flesh-eating zombie infested Hell. He then sets out to find his wife and kid. Not very original sounding, I know, but TWD is more to do with it's characters and how they change over time to adapt and survive in the environment they now find themselves in.

AMC (Breaking Bad) have now picked it up to turn it into a TV series and is now in full production with some top talent working on it, including Frank Darabont (Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) who will be directing the pilot, from the producers of The Terminator and Aliens, as well as a musical score from Battlestar Galactica's Bear McCreary and special effects from one of the very best in the industry by Greg Nicotero, I just can't see how this can't turn out to be anything other than amazing. It airs in the UK on FX this October.

Here's a leaked trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDAFflJkQoE

Looks good, no?

Sounds like London - seriously though :) Sounds quite a good idea.

Most zombie flicks are too short/predictable

Would be better if it were a UK series..
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 12:10:58 pm by Andy@Allerton »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 08:24:37 pm »
Check the blog out:
http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/

On a semi related note, has anyone read World War Z?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Z
It's being made into a film, produced by, and starring, Brad Pitt. Done right, it could be brilliant.

Offline ianfb25

• Legacy Fan
  • KK7
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 10:21:27 pm »
AMC is my current top choice for TV after watching Breaking Bad last month, and this has me excited too. Has all the ingredients to be top, top TV.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 08:35:19 pm »
Some pictures of the Nicotero effects on the zombies. They look amazingly well done for a TV production.

Offline ianfb25

• Legacy Fan
  • KK7
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 08:45:15 pm »
Some pictures of the Nicotero effects on the zombies. They look amazingly well done for a TV production.

Agreed mate but its more than a TV production for me this. Great behind the scenes crew and a channel with a great reputation, Id expect nothing less!!

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 08:54:49 pm »
Agreed mate but its more than a TV production for me this. Great behind the scenes crew and a channel with a great reputation, Id expect nothing less!!
True. But that's what makes this such an amazing prospect for TV. The production crew on this is something you'd associate with a big budget, high-end Hollywood blockbuster. It can't turn out to be anything other than seminal TV. I can see it turning out to be a cult classic in the same way Band of Brothers did, except this could potentially go on for more than 20 episodes or double that.

Offline ianfb25

• Legacy Fan
  • KK7
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 09:02:12 pm »
Absolutely. Potentially, this could be a groundbreaker. Its on my long, list of shows to watch it September/October. Man, not enough hours in the day, truly.

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 09:33:53 pm »
I think I read some of the comics a couple of years ago in a kind of compendium thing.

Seem to remember they hole up in a prison and then there's a woman with two zombies on poles to stop the other zombies attacking.

Really looking forward to this.
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 10:32:53 pm »

Quote from: Macphisto80 on Today at 08:35:19 PM
Some pictures of the Nicotero effects on the zombies. They look amazingly well done for a TV production

Didn't know Jim Carrey had a cameo in this

Offline fivein05

• Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 1, 2010, 04:37:24 pm »

I would...
One poster on this site is going to let me down this season! Don't let it be you!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 3, 2010, 10:16:58 pm »

Can anyone name all the characters?

Bit more info from AICN, really can't wait for this.

Its first season, which comprises only six episodes, began shooting June 3 and will start shambling onto AMC in October.

It’s long been known that Darabont wrote and directed the first episode himself, but when AICN visited him on the set of the that episode last month, we knew next to nothing about who was handling these chores for subsequent episodes.

I asked Darabont himself and he just came back with the line-up for the entire first season:

Herc!

You have but to ask!

The directors for the first six are:

1) Me.
2) Michelle MacLaren (Breaking Bad, X-Files)
3) Gwyneth Horder-Payton (The Shield, BSG)
4) Johan Renck (Breaking Bad)
5) Ernest Dickerson (The Wire, Dexter)
6) Guy Ferland (The Shield, Sons of Anarchy)

The writers for the first six are:

1) Me
2) Me
3) Me, Chic Eglee, Jack LoGuidice. (Chic: The Shield, Dexter. Jack: Sons of Anarchy)
4) Robert Kirkman (wrote some comics I think)
5) Glen Mazzara (The Shield, Hawthorne)
6) Adam Fierro (The Shield, Dexter, 24)

(If Darabont is a typical showrunner, he’s overseeing all creative aspects of all episodes, from the writing to post-production, which he's said is “a full-time job in itself.”)

Eglee, whom I believe serves as the series’ co-showrunner, has been a grade-A force in American television for decades, having scripted lots of “Moonlighting,” “St. Elsewhere” and “L.A. Law” before creating “Murder One” for Stephen Bochco and “Dark Angel” for James Cameron.

Kirkman, for those unaware, writes the “Walking Dead” funnybooks on which the series is based. If I’m not mistaken, 1.4 will represent Kirkman’s first produced teleplay ever.
[/size]

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #21 on: August 4, 2010, 10:53:10 am »
That is not Andrew Lincoln is it???
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 4, 2010, 02:24:19 pm »
That is not Andrew Lincoln is it???

Yep, he's the lead and doing a yank accent.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 4, 2010, 02:55:35 pm »

Can anyone name all the characters?

The blonde on the far right (Andrea) is Laurie Holden and the old man in the hat (Dale) is Jeffrey DeMunn, both of which are fantastic actors and have their respective looks of their comic conterparts spot on. There's only one slight discrepancy with Holden's character. In the comics, I remember it being said that she was a student and was in her mid-20's. Holden is clearly a bit older than that. The little fella that looks like Eliot from ET and the brunette beside him are Rick Grimes' (Lincoln) son and wife (Lori and Carl). The fella with the shotgun is called Shane, and the bloke with the baseball cap is Glen. Not sure who the other blonde is, but I think it's Andrea's sister.

« Last Edit: August 4, 2010, 02:58:23 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 5, 2010, 09:20:48 pm »
 Interesting timelapsed vdeo showing the process of creating one of the more intricate effects that featured in the comic. This thing took just three hours. I would have thought it would have taken longer than that. I love watching how this sort of thing is done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa0tRQ2Q0Wk

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #25 on: August 9, 2010, 11:06:52 am »
For us UK folk, it's going to be shown on FX and FXHD
http://walkingdead.fxuk.com/

The more I see/hear/read about this show, the more excited I'm getting. Cannot wait. There's some pretty good discussion about it over at Homepage Of The Dead. Great forum for you zombie fans.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #26 on: August 9, 2010, 02:57:18 pm »
I am very pleased to announce that we will be showcasing a 90 second exclusive FXUK trailer for The Walking Dead from tomorrow (Tuesday 10th August). From approximately 2pm the trailer will be live. This is the first time any official footage has been released in the UK.

We hope you all love it - we think it looks amazing.

They're really starting to push this now.

Offline Mivi

• Strawberry-flavoured Jayne Torvill ; 3,000,000 not out
  • Legacy Fan
  • By the way..........It's been emotional.
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 08:42:51 am »
:)

Looking forward to this.
It's cause he loks like a badger. Women fucking love badgers.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 07:31:46 pm »
Good quality trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MmCanaLQGE

Starts on Halloween :) I'm actually looking forward to it despite my general apathy to all things zombie recently.

I hope it's better than the books, there are the basics for some great characters there that I felt they never really pulled it off.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2010, 01:03:05 am »
THis looks like it might be a bit special. Love the fact he's on a horse too. Bad Ass.

AMC is my current top choice for TV after watching Breaking Bad last month, and this has me excited too. Has all the ingredients to be top, top TV.

Check out Rubicon, another of their new shows. Loving it so far.

Offline ianfb25

• Legacy Fan
  • KK7
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2010, 05:55:04 pm »
THis looks like it might be a bit special. Love the fact he's on a horse too. Bad Ass.

Check out Rubicon, another of their new shows. Loving it so far.

On it mate, got episode 5 lined up to watch in half an hour  ;)

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2010, 06:49:10 pm »
"Rubicon" is coming to BBC4 in the Autumn. Is it any good? Sounds good, like. I don't want to start downloading another series at the moment, so I'll wait til it's on BBC4.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2010, 07:39:36 pm »
looks good although there's no way i could watch that, i'd have soiled myself after the opening credits
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 5, 2010, 06:42:34 pm »
Bump.

Some new behind the scenes footage. Can't wait for this to start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11MFgUyJEyI

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 5, 2010, 07:05:07 pm »
Not long to go now!

Couple spoilerish things in that video as well, so if you want go in absolutely oblivious to what might happen,  might want to give it a skip.

Offline Mivi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: October 5, 2010, 07:11:19 pm »
Starts 5th November on FX in the UK  :D

Offline ianfb25

• Legacy Fan
  • KK7
« Reply #36 on: October 7, 2010, 04:38:28 pm »
Gonan be boss this.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #37 on: October 7, 2010, 05:01:13 pm »
Gonan be boss this.

Yeah, I'm gonan be downloading it.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 7, 2010, 06:57:19 pm »
Yeah, I'm gonan be downloading it.

That's ilgeal, I'm gonan report you.

Offline Mivi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 8, 2010, 05:28:08 pm »
That's ilgeal, I'm gonan report you.

Whatever you do, don't do it in writing.