Author Topic: Nick Drake fans?  (Read 2659 times)

Offline TheRedBaron

• Mock Conkey
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Fuck With Guillem Balague!
Nick Drake fans?
« on: April 11, 2006, 05:59:31 pm »
Hey all! Was just listening to 'A Treasury' (Drake album with a lot of his best songs on) and just got the urge to make a thread on here to see if theres any more drake fans about? He was pretty unknown until his death and now has a kind of cult following to him. 

I was introduced to Nick Drake's music just over a year ago and i was instantly captivated by it. His music is so incredibly beautiful and the words are so poignant. His music is magical - I never thought I'd say that seriously about an artist! He seemed to have such a connection with life, but tragically it seems, too much. His songs seem to have different effects on you at different times, the same song can sound happy and uplifting, then a different day, it can connect with your sadness and melancholy. I particulalry love Man in a shed and Time of no Reply but i do not have one favourite song as they are all truly unique. I am glad his music is getting recognition as he deserves it. If only he could be here today to see the recognition he is now getting.

I looked for an existed thread but theres only one thread thats about 2 years old so decided to make a new one. 

So any fans about? What attracts you to Drakes music?
'Jimmy, I get home, I shut the curtains and I sleep'.

- Mascherano after running out of petrol, forgetting his money then being hit in his car on his way home

Offline IloveGuinness17

• Knows fuck all about waves...
  • Legacy Fan
  • M.I.A.
Re: Nick Drake fans?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 06:15:05 pm »
Yeah, I am a big fan. His music is totally relaxing to listen to. The rhythms and melody are hypnotic.
JFT 96-Solidarity

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 06:29:43 pm »
So any fans about? What attracts you to Drakes music?

He's a bloody genius.......          ;)
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Victor

• Legacy Fan
  • Daa Dah Daaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 07:24:02 pm »
I got into him about 20 years ago when I'd have thought the last thing I wanted to hear was a sensitive acoustic songwriter :) the quality just shines through .... love "Riverman" ,"Fruit Tree" and "Cello Song"
"There are two great teams in Liverpool.... Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves"

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 07:28:50 pm »
Yesterday I  downloaded Way to Blue and it'll be on my iPod tomorrow morning.

Offline Walken

• Anny Roader
  • You're a cantaloupe.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 12:22:38 am »
Just listening to his Bryter Layter album, "One of These Things First" currently, when I saw the thread so had to check it out. Great stuff.
I don't. Buy the tomatoes with. The stems. On them. They don't. Degrade. They go. Down the sink. And into the water. Then. They get lodged in the throats of little. Otters.

Offline Djibriliant

• Last of the Great Romantics. All-year-round-twattish-dresser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's Friday theeeeen, Saturday Sunday WHAT!?
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 10:15:45 pm »
For a minute i thought you were talking about Drake from NICKoldeans 'Drake and Jsh'  ;D
He wasn't perfect, he made mistakes. But he was genuine. He had the best interests of the club at heart, and gave us a plethora of successful teams that we should have been thankful for.

Offline chipbuttie

• Kopite
  • 5 times....... 'tis true
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 10:44:16 pm »
Have been a big fan for 5-10 years now. Though it's his most orchestrated I like Bryter Layter best of his 3 albums - the 'best of' collections are great introductions but it's got to be worth getting the three :o Hazy Jane II, Northern Sky and the 3 instrumentals are classics.

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 11:49:25 pm »
For a minute i thought you were talking about Drake from NICKoldeans 'Drake and Jsh'  ;D
What a show ;)

Offline elrojoyoda

• Legacy Fan
  • The Dream Team
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 12:32:29 am »
I got introduced to him about 10 years back and just love his stuff! Bloody genius!! Might have to listen to Five Leaves Left now!
Follow me on Twitter @RojoYoda

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 09:17:11 pm »
Would have been 70 today.
RIP Amazing talent
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain