Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 219239 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #960 on: February 19, 2021, 02:03:17 pm »
My experience is different. But that aside, most of these players know how to speak English to a decent level, particularly the younger generation.

It's not just the players though... it's the backroom staff, the scouts, the medics, the directors, the youth training staff, the marketing teams, the finance teams, the officials, etc. etc. He'll need to be able to converse with them all to do his job properly.

That's before you have the media to contend with.

Personally, regardless of how widely spoken English is, I think he'd be starting from a much harder position if he didn't know the local lingo.

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #961 on: February 19, 2021, 10:20:27 pm »
It's an OK piece, and he makes some good points.... however the Scottish league is a bit shite. Their European records over the last 20 years confirms this - however in saying that it's also how Gerrard has them performing in Europe now which points to how well he is doing.

Not sure where he goes from there though. Guess another year at Rangers but then surely he'll look to move on come summer 2022 if he wants to prove his ability somewhere else to be in the frame should Klopp go in summer 2024. But where?
Maybe Leicester if Rodgers moves on.

Maybe Newastle if they got wealthy new owners.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #962 on: February 19, 2021, 10:24:01 pm »
Maybe Leicester if Rodgers moves on.

Maybe Newastle if they got wealthy new owners.

Can't see Rodgers moving soon, where's he gonna go?

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #963 on: February 23, 2021, 10:53:48 am »
Doubt Gerrard will come to any team in the prem besides Liverpool, thats the reason he didn't take offers from english clubs because he didn't want to play against his boyhood club

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #964 on: February 23, 2021, 07:28:43 pm »
Doubt Gerrard will come to any team in the prem besides Liverpool, thats the reason he didn't take offers from english clubs because he didn't want to play against his boyhood club

He may not have a choice, who knows how long Klopp stays and even if its until his current contract ends is Gerrard going to be happy sitting in limbo at Rangers for another 3 years, for the sake of his career he may have to take another PL job because there's no guarantee he's going to get the Liverpool gig

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #965 on: February 23, 2021, 07:31:00 pm »

I think he would depending on which club it was. I think he knows he's got to prove he's good enough, and not just that but get the experience to be good enough.

Problem is he really needs to be at a club in Europe and there prob aren't too many of those he'd go to, so it may be a case of having to go abroad to get that.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #966 on: February 25, 2021, 10:49:03 pm »
I think he would depending on which club it was. I think he knows he's got to prove he's good enough, and not just that but get the experience to be good enough.

Problem is he really needs to be at a club in Europe and there prob aren't too many of those he'd go to, so it may be a case of having to go abroad to get that.

He's at a club in Europe, doing very well in it. He's won 26 of 30 league games, having scored 73 and conceded 9 goals. That's extraordinary regardless of the standard.

He's already proving he's a very good manager, playing an intense, modern, attractive style of football, at a massive football club with huge pressure on his shoulders; one where the odds were stacked against him when he walked through the door.

What he's doing at Rangers is far more translatable to Liverpool than if he was at West Ham or Southampton imo.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #967 on: February 25, 2021, 11:12:02 pm »
Just look at how his "peers" have gone in management.

The man is levels above anyone of his generation.

Oh captain, my captain.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #968 on: February 25, 2021, 11:17:06 pm »
Just look at how his "peers" have gone in management.

The man is levels above anyone of his generation.

Oh captain, my captain.

Yep.

Put it this way. Would people have been happier hiring Rodgers after his stint at Swansea as we did, or his stint at Celtic as Leicester did?

I'd go for the latter every time. Loads of managers have got teams up and kept them up. Not many can win three trebles on the bounce. Stevie is on the path to similar standards at Rangers from a harder starting point, while also performing much better in Europe. And he's one of us.

I don't think he needs to go to Monchengladbach or Villarreal to prove himself personally.

Offline Longwood NY

• Main Stander
  • Innit
« Reply #969 on: February 26, 2021, 02:05:43 am »
Fair fucking play Stevie. Proud of him, have to say I'm eating humble pie as I didn't have a strong belief he'd be much chop on the touchline

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #970 on: February 26, 2021, 02:17:42 am »
Fair fucking play Stevie. Proud of him, have to say I'm eating humble pie as I didn't have a strong belief he'd be much chop on the touchline

Many didn’t, I think some of us have a prejudice towards British managers and players thinking their not the most intelligent people or cut out to be good managers because of it, in contrast mostly everyone was backing Alonso to be a great one(he may still be).

Maybe it’s due to playing styles, but it’s definitely something I noticed even in this same thread a year or two back.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #971 on: February 26, 2021, 11:50:27 am »
He's at a club in Europe, doing very well in it. He's won 26 of 30 league games, having scored 73 and conceded 9 goals. That's extraordinary regardless of the standard.

He's already proving he's a very good manager, playing an intense, modern, attractive style of football, at a massive football club with huge pressure on his shoulders; one where the odds were stacked against him when he walked through the door.

What he's doing at Rangers is far more translatable to Liverpool than if he was at West Ham or Southampton imo.

Oh, for sure he is. However now sure managing the budgets (not directly) / squads / players at Rangers translates to any PL club, let alone a European playing club in the PL, and certainly not our own (where out revenue is nearly 10x Rangers').

I'd not really be too keen on him jumping from Rangers to here without having some experience at a bigger set up.

Online leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #972 on: February 27, 2021, 01:07:37 am »
Rangers season so far.

Online anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #973 on: February 27, 2021, 01:14:03 am »
Rangers season so far.

Incredible statistics... would be interesting to see if Celtic had any similar runs during this 9 in a row.. I don't follow the Scottish leagues so don't know off the top of my head
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #974 on: February 27, 2021, 09:48:15 am »
Oh, for sure he is. However now sure managing the budgets (not directly) / squads / players at Rangers translates to any PL club, let alone a European playing club in the PL, and certainly not our own (where out revenue is nearly 10x Rangers').

I'd not really be too keen on him jumping from Rangers to here without having some experience at a bigger set up.

That's fair enough mate but I think he could handle it just fine as long as he had an excellent support base around him. A different person without his link to the club and I'd agree.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #975 on: February 27, 2021, 09:49:41 am »
Incredible statistics... would be interesting to see if Celtic had any similar runs during this 9 in a row.. I don't follow the Scottish leagues so don't know off the top of my head

Pretty sure Rodgers had an unbeaten season but don't recall anything as impressive in the goals against column and we all know his failings in Europe too well. Zenit at home.  :butt

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #976 on: February 27, 2021, 09:59:59 am »
That's fair enough mate but I think he could handle it just fine as long as he had an excellent support base around him. A different person without his link to the club and I'd agree.

Agreed again, however don’t think it would do him any hard attempting to get that experience though before he got the reins here.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #977 on: February 28, 2021, 12:25:56 am »
Gerrard has obviously done a great job at Rangers but the latter stages of the Europa League will be interesting. Topping a group that includes Benfica and Standard Liege sounds great. However, Benfica are 4th 16th points off top and Liege are 10th in their League.

Hopefully they get through the next round and we can judge properly.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #978 on: February 28, 2021, 07:39:10 am »
He’s done a superb job at Rangers, but I think he needs to do another stint at another club, different league and let him build his experience. He’s young still by any definition of a manager so has plenty of time.

My biggest fear would be for him to end up like Frank Lampard did at Chelsea have his dream job early and then have it taken away so quickly. Obviously we are a much different beast to them but the principle behind it is if he’s done the dream job too early then what will he do next. I take it he’ll want to have a managerial career at Liverpool for a period not too dissimilar to Fergie @ Mancs.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #979 on: March 3, 2021, 09:57:10 pm »
Honestly the comparison to Lampard is not warranted.

I'd fucking love him to take over if and when Klopp rides off into the sunset.

You'd crawl over broken glass for him

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Mod
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #980 on: March 3, 2021, 10:52:29 pm »

Offline MD1990

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #981 on: March 3, 2021, 11:00:03 pm »
Have a feelig he may become Palace manager ext season.

they have a host of players out of contract & Hodgson out of contract as well.

Looks like they have plans for a rebuild in the summer & may have a bit of money as well considering they would not hugely impacted by no fans at the stadium & spent little money in the last few years.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #982 on: March 3, 2021, 11:00:45 pm »
Palace manager  :lmao

Offline MD1990

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #983 on: March 3, 2021, 11:04:06 pm »
Palace manager  :lmao
he needs a PL job before being ready for Liverpool

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #984 on: March 3, 2021, 11:08:51 pm »
Yep.

Put it this way. Would people have been happier hiring Rodgers after his stint at Swansea as we did, or his stint at Celtic as Leicester did?

I'd go for the latter every time. Loads of managers have got teams up and kept them up. Not many can win three trebles on the bounce. Stevie is on the path to similar standards at Rangers from a harder starting point, while also performing much better in Europe. And he's one of us.

I don't think he needs to go to Monchengladbach or Villarreal to prove himself personally.

Stevie is on a path to similar standards? Seriously? He's doing a very good job, no doubt about that but he can't win the domestic treble this season, yet alone think about three of them!

And the "one of us' argument is meaningless.

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #985 on: March 3, 2021, 11:11:04 pm »

Why?

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #986 on: March 3, 2021, 11:13:02 pm »
Stevie is on a path to similar standards? Seriously? He's doing a very good job, no doubt about that but he can't win the domestic treble this season, yet alone think about three of them!

Well he is on a similar path, may fair worse in domestic cups but he has a better record than Rodgers did in Europe.

And the one of us isn’t meaningless, it’s why he has Michael Beale as his assistant, and also worth noting what his first job was and the fact he was coaching the likes of Curtis Jones.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #987 on: March 3, 2021, 11:32:22 pm »
Good night. Some of you need to get the blinkers off.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #988 on: March 3, 2021, 11:43:01 pm »

Like fuck he does.  :butt
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #989 on: March 3, 2021, 11:58:59 pm »

Like Klopp? Like Guardiola? Like Mourinho? Like Wenger?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #990 on: March 4, 2021, 12:01:06 am »

Pretty much anyone could've managed Celtic to three consecutive trebles during the last 10 years. They've been in a 1 team league for most of the past decade.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #991 on: March 4, 2021, 07:14:21 am »
Like Klopp? Like Guardiola? Like Mourinho? Like Wenger?

He is less experienced than any of the above, managing us is a different thing entirely. I would prefer us to go for one of the top coaches than an up and coming one.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #992 on: March 4, 2021, 08:52:25 am »
He is less experienced than any of the above, managing us is a different thing entirely. I would prefer us to go for one of the top coaches than an up and coming one.

Let say Klopp sees his contract out and wants time off.

It's the summer of 2024. Who is the "top" coach you're bringing in?

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #993 on: March 4, 2021, 09:36:35 am »
Let say Klopp sees his contract out and wants time off.

It's the summer of 2024. Who is the "top" coach you're bringing in?
Who knows, but look at Gerrard and compare him with the experience of Klopp and Rafa when they joined Liverpool.

Oddly enough Gerrard will be 44 in 2024 - the same age as Rafa when he joined and 4 years younger than Klopp.

He's done well to overcome Celtic - albeit Celtic in a bit of disarray, but Rafa and Klopp had won titles in bigger and more high profile leagues as well as having European success.

He's done well and Rangers fans are impressed, but on balance I'd prefer him to be the one after the one that follows Klopp.
More time to gain further experience, hopefully in a bigger league and while I hope he's following a successful manager, there may be a bit less pressure than if he's following someone like Klopp.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #994 on: March 4, 2021, 10:01:07 am »
So you don't have anyone in mind, but want to rule out our greatest player of the last 40 years who at that point will have six years experience as a Football manager.

Sound.

Offline Rambo1996

• Main Stander
« Reply #995 on: March 4, 2021, 10:02:37 am »
When Pep Guardiola took over Barcelona in 2008, he had less experience than Stevie.
When Zinedine Zidane took over Real Madrid in 2016, he had less experience than Stevie.
The same applies to Pirlo at Juventus last summer or a certain Kenneth Dalglish in 1986...

People think that we shouldn't appoint Steven Gerrard, "because we're a big club". Well, it seems that big clubs have the luxury to appoint legends with fewer credentials than Steven Gerrard. By 2024, mind you, he'll have even more.

Grow up, move on. Steven Gerrard is an exciting and forward-thinking young manager. He also happens to be our GOAT player and captain. He knows the club inside out.
We are blessed to have Jurgen Klopp at the helm. Some legends are being rushed to top-jobs, indeed.
Steven Gerrard is already succeeding at one, he very well might succeed at another.

Offline Rambo1996

• Main Stander
« Reply #996 on: March 4, 2021, 10:06:32 am »
Who knows, but look at Gerrard and compare him with the experience of Klopp and Rafa when they joined Liverpool.

Oddly enough Gerrard will be 44 in 2024 - the same age as Rafa when he joined and 4 years younger than Klopp.

He's done well to overcome Celtic - albeit Celtic in a bit of disarray, but Rafa and Klopp had won titles in bigger and more high profile leagues as well as having European success.

He's done well and Rangers fans are impressed, but on balance I'd prefer him to be the one after the one that follows Klopp.
More time to gain further experience, hopefully in a bigger league and while I hope he's following a successful manager, there may be a bit less pressure than if he's following someone like Klopp.
He'll have twice the experience that Brendan Rodgers had in 2012. I'll argue that his experience with Rangers is better than Rodgers' with the likes of Swansea.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2021, 10:12:27 am by Rambo1996 »

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #997 on: March 4, 2021, 10:12:16 am »
He'll have twice the experience that Brendan Rodgers had in 2012. I'll argue that his experience at Rangers is more meaningful than Rodgers' with the likes of Swansea.
3 years is a long time in football

I have no idea why people are saying that will be too early for him when so much can happen in that time

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #998 on: March 4, 2021, 10:15:12 am »
3 years is a long time in football

I have no idea why people are saying that will be too early for him when so much can happen in that time

Because some people for some reason want him to fail. Drives me insane to see the way he's treated by parts of our fan base

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #999 on: March 4, 2021, 10:21:34 am »
So you don't have anyone in mind, but want to rule out our greatest player of the last 40 years who at that point will have six years experience as a Football manager.

Sound.
;D
If you'd read what I said, I wasn't ruling him out, I was saying not yet, which is a different thing.
I haven't got a clue who the next manager should be, and the decision may well depend on the type of manager and the job we need him to do.
Who knows, the plan may be to have a wise old head for a couple of years post Klopp until Gerrard is deemed ready.

I love the fact that you refer to him as our greatest player in the last 40 years when talking about a managerial appointment - it's irrelevant and smacks of the fan soundbites that we laugh at when its Mancs saying stuff like "give it Giggseh" based on his playing record. I know he's done a decent job for Rangers. But rangers to Liverpool is a big leap.