Author Topic: Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Amazon TV series - September 2022)  (Read 40818 times)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Amazon TV series - September 2022)
« Reply #520 on: September 25, 2022, 12:16:17 pm »
Wow, can’t believe that about The Eagle & Child. If not a going concern it should definitely be a candidate for the National Trust/Heritage England.

Blame the owner of the building.

"A letting notice put out by estate agent Savills Licensed Leisure makes clear that the new landlord will be responsible for the works and for fitting out the building."

The refurb is said to cost close to a million & then they want £165,000pa rent.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: September 25, 2022, 02:06:18 pm »
I’m really enjoying it. Actually look forward to each episode.
Yes, mate. Enjoying the show, the story, the dialogue, the setting and the characters. I even love Galadriel. I like her single minded focus and drive. I haven’t read the books but I’ve seen Peter Jackson’s trilogies at least twenty times. Finally a series I can invest serious time into.

I even enjoyed some of the Marvel movies. There..I said it. Let me enjoy my petty and uninformed existence in complete ignorance. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 02:08:55 pm by dalarr »

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: September 26, 2022, 10:08:32 am »
Yes, mate. Enjoying the show, the story, the dialogue, the setting and the characters. I even love Galadriel. I like her single minded focus and drive. I haven’t read the books but I’ve seen Peter Jackson’s trilogies at least twenty times. Finally a series I can invest serious time into.

I even enjoyed some of the Marvel movies. There..I said it. Let me enjoy my petty and uninformed existence in complete ignorance.

It's hard to say if you're being ironic
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #523 on: September 26, 2022, 01:54:58 pm »
Caught up with all this after our hols and I broadly agree that something about Galadriel isn't quite there. My girlfriend pointed out a previous discussion we'd had about Matt Smith and Dr Who - despite being very young at the time, he was able to convince as a young-looking but actually quite old and 'wise' being. I'm not sure I get that from Galadriel... yet. It was slightly surprising to find that Cate Blanchett was younger when filming the PJ movies than Morfydd Clark is now.

Aside from that, I wasn't quite expecting a "Which one of these is Sauron" puzzle to play out, but it's a pretty cool idea. I wonder if any more candidates will appear before the end of the season (which is when I expect a lot to be revealed).
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #524 on: September 26, 2022, 02:54:44 pm »
Spoiler
The only character I’ve seen that could possibly be Sauron is the wee sinister looking blonde elf that is inspecting the crater that the stranger (gandalf?) left. I can’t see how any of the others could possibly be him.
[close]

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #525 on: September 26, 2022, 06:39:17 pm »
Spoiler
The only character I’ve seen that could possibly be Sauron is the wee sinister looking blonde elf that is inspecting the crater that the stranger (gandalf?) left. I can’t see how any of the others could possibly be him.
[close]

From the trailer I expected as much too, but surely there's a massive swerve coming and it'll turn out to be...

Spoiler
Lenny Henry with his book of weirdly accurate predictions
[close]
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #526 on: September 26, 2022, 08:06:41 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Sounds like the title for the next Harry Potter book.
:D

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: September 26, 2022, 08:45:16 pm »
It's hard to say if you're being ironic
sorry about that. I meant everything I wrote, I really enjoy the series. I popped into this thread yesterday because I had some legitimate questions about the lore and was surprised by the rather arrogant replies by some of the posters here. It’s not always I’m able to convey my thoughts in written form.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 09:04:47 pm by dalarr »

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: September 26, 2022, 10:30:06 pm »
From the trailer I expected as much too, but surely there's a massive swerve coming and it'll turn out to be...

Spoiler
[close]
This is my favourite prediction yet, brilliant.  ;D

Spoiler
Might actually be true though, because he's black, and black is dark as in 'dark lord', and also we know that real hobbits can't be black cos some geniuses on the internet have decreed it so, hence he must be some sort of non-hobbit creature. Thought you were taking the piss there at first but you may well have hit the nail on the head.
[close]

Offline EastTyroneRed

• Got an issue? Here's a tissue. Or a sock. I use either...
  • Main Stander
« Reply #529 on: September 27, 2022, 01:29:02 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

That's a woman, they all are.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #530 on: September 27, 2022, 02:03:50 pm »
Spoiler
I feel like Hallbrand (sp?) is too obvious a Sauron, with his skillset ever widening every episode and the closeness to Galadriel. However Sauron did hasten the fall of Numenor which lead to the loss of his shapeshifting so it clearly could be Hallbrand, but something is telling me that’s a red herring. I fancy he’ll be one of the kings of men seduced by the rings of power who became Nazgûl. He could even be the Witch King of Angmar. This is caveated with my Tolkien knowledge being very shallow so there’s probably 1000 things in the canon that suggest my idea is wrong.
[close]
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: September 28, 2022, 10:20:36 am »
Spoiler
I feel like Hallbrand (sp?) is too obvious a Sauron, with his skillset ever widening every episode and the closeness to Galadriel. However Sauron did hasten the fall of Numenor which lead to the loss of his shapeshifting so it clearly could be Hallbrand, but something is telling me that’s a red herring. I fancy he’ll be one of the kings of men seduced by the rings of power who became Nazgûl. He could even be the Witch King of Angmar. This is caveated with my Tolkien knowledge being very shallow so there’s probably 1000 things in the canon that suggest my idea is wrong.
[close]

I agree that
Spoiler
Hallbrand is most likely the Witch King. I don't see him being Sauron, i don't think we have seen Sauron yet. I also don't think Sauron will be revealed by the end of this series. It will be by the end of Season 2 we see Sauron and any mention of rings
[close]

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: September 30, 2022, 01:29:20 pm »
I see episode 6 is titled "Udun".....
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #534 on: September 30, 2022, 01:30:23 pm »
I see episode 6 is titled "Udun".....

"... have a clue?"
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #535 on: September 30, 2022, 01:58:55 pm »
They just turned it up to 11

Offline Tombellylfc

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #536 on: September 30, 2022, 02:17:25 pm »
Best episode by far that. Really kicking into gear now

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: September 30, 2022, 02:37:30 pm »
Spoiler
Well that was a fantastic episode, great action scenes, characters from different storylines finally meeting, some mysteries revealed, and a good old volcano eruption. Although I do think it's utterly ridiculous neither of the elves or anyone else checked if the right macguffin was in the wrapping until the kid took a peek.

Think it helped that the jumping around to different plotlines was kept to the bare minimum. As much as I enjoy parts of each storyline, I think the show's pacing and momentum has really suffered from having to jump around so much. More converging please.
[close]
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: September 30, 2022, 05:17:48 pm »
Spoiler
Why that old man felt the need to stick that sword in there? Who's he anyway?
[close]

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: September 30, 2022, 07:40:38 pm »
Spoiler
Although I do think it's utterly ridiculous neither of the elves or anyone else checked if the right macguffin was in the wrapping until the kid took a peek.

Think it helped that the jumping around to different plotlines was kept to the bare minimum. As much as I enjoy parts of each storyline, I think the show's pacing and momentum has really suffered from having to jump around so much. More converging please.
[close]

Spoiler
agreed, actually burst out laughing when he took the axe out of the wrapping. this artifact of incredible power and importance, they're just giving it to this random lad and nobody even looked at it? come on :D

i'll be honest i was bored to tears until the last 10 mins, but then the scene with Numenor arriving and Mt. Doom being born - yes! that's i'm here for!
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
he got told to do it by yer dark haired elf-uruk man, just before he rode off on his horse to misdirect galadriel and halbrand into chasing him (they thought he had the hilt). i don't think he's anyone significant, just a DARK SIDE sympathizing human? might be wrong.
[close]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 07:46:29 pm by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: September 30, 2022, 07:56:36 pm »
Spoiler
So the area with the eruption is actually Mordor then?
[close]
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline RF

• Are we there yet?... is it open?... where are we?... what's that?...it's a lazy twat! Is my card marked?.. Yes it is?
  • Kopite
« Reply #541 on: October 1, 2022, 07:04:40 am »
Wasn't a great fan of Peter Jacksons LOTR. The first one is decent, but they got worse after that with some terrible use of CGI and the Hobbit was even worse. Enjoying this series though. Really enjoying it.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: October 1, 2022, 09:36:23 am »
Still don’t think Hallbrand is Sauron. What was
Spoiler
Adar saying to Galadriel about Sauron? Something about chasing spirits and wasting his orcs life’s doing so? They clearly don’t like each other
[close]

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: October 1, 2022, 10:31:44 am »
I always struggle to reconcile remarkable drama that hinges on a glaring plot contrivance. Does the former outweigh the latter? I think here it *just* about does but I hope they don't make a hobbit of it.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #544 on: October 1, 2022, 12:11:45 pm »
I always struggle to reconcile remarkable drama that hinges on a glaring plot contrivance. Does the former outweigh the latter? I think here it *just* about does but I hope they don't make a hobbit of it.

I'm shire they will do...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #545 on: October 1, 2022, 12:20:44 pm »
When Sauron has the one ring I hope we see him get fifteen of the magic ones

Six he gave to Dwarves (for Seven in total), but Nine he gave to Men

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: October 1, 2022, 12:24:19 pm »
Wasn't a great fan of Peter Jacksons LOTR. The first one is decent, but they got worse after that with some terrible use of CGI and the Hobbit was even worse. Enjoying this series though. Really enjoying it.

Surely taking the piss? Nothing compares to Peter Jackson's trilogy

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline RF

• Are we there yet?... is it open?... where are we?... what's that?...it's a lazy twat! Is my card marked?.. Yes it is?
  • Kopite
« Reply #547 on: October 1, 2022, 01:00:04 pm »
Surely taking the piss? Nothing compares to Peter Jackson's trilogy

Not at all. There were many really good parts to the films, but he spoilt them in other parts, especially some of the battle scenes and then throwing corny bits it like tossing Gimli over the wall and Legolas on his friggin skateboard. As for the Hobbit Thorin on the Smaugs nose .....well.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: October 1, 2022, 03:00:44 pm »
I'm with Rick here. You're taking the absolute piss. At least Peter Jackson never made an elementary mistake like time warping an army that grows exponentially as soon as it hits land after time warping over a sea in a matter of hours which takes place during the day, to make it in time to one of the worst choreographed sieges and and battle sequences ever filmed which just so happened to be taking place during the night. You know, the same time the massive army made it ashore and then rode what I assume was a short or massive difference (it's OK if you turn your brain off) to get there in time. It wasn't my intention to come in here and piss all over this show again, but there's no way someone's going to tell me that this show is even better than The Hobbit films, never mind the first three Peter Jackson made just because there were some cringe moments in them. I recently watched The Battle of Five Armies on TV the other night. It shits all over this show despite it being a bloated whacky hijinks of a mess at times.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: October 1, 2022, 03:03:37 pm »
I'm shire they will do...
Hopefully they won't as I don't want to sauron the show....

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #550 on: October 1, 2022, 05:03:47 pm »
Galadriel's upside down horse dodge was fucking hysterically bad.

Good episode though.

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: October 1, 2022, 05:15:12 pm »
I'm with Rick here. You're taking the absolute piss. At least Peter Jackson never made an elementary mistake like time warping an army that grows exponentially as soon as it hits land after time warping over a sea in a matter of hours which takes place during the day, to make it in time to one of the worst choreographed sieges and and battle sequences ever filmed which just so happened to be taking place during the night. You know, the same time the massive army made it ashore and then rode what I assume was a short or massive difference (it's OK if you turn your brain off) to get there in time. It wasn't my intention to come in here and piss all over this show again, but there's no way someone's going to tell me that this show is even better than The Hobbit films, never mind the first three Peter Jackson made just because there were some cringe moments in them. I recently watched The Battle of Five Armies on TV the other night. It shits all over this show despite it being a bloated whacky hijinks of a mess at times.

I'm with you here. It's also one (of many) things that made the later seasons of GoT so bad. Time just doesn't matter all of a sudden. Suddenly what seemed to take days or months, seemed like mere minutes or hours. It's ruining any sense of vastness to the world.

While the show is okay on its own, it certainly doesn't feel like a Lord of the Rings-show; which for me would be the Jackson trilogy.
I have no idea what I’m taking about

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: October 1, 2022, 06:10:16 pm »

Good episode though.

Why was it hysterically bad?

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: October 1, 2022, 06:17:03 pm »

Really? I thought it looked miles better than the Legolas horse stuff in Jackson's LOTR.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: October 1, 2022, 07:45:08 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
He's the guy who had the sword hidden in his barn for years, he's been using it and getting corrupted by it.
[close]

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #555 on: October 1, 2022, 08:05:01 pm »

It looked hilarious, she could dodge in so many more graceful or fluid ways, instead it's an awkward crab manoeuvre which leaves her dangling upside down. I get that it was meant to show her skill, but it was jarring to me.

I think they've handled her horribly, honestly. Very oddly written character.

Really? I thought it looked miles better than the Legolas horse stuff in Jackson's LOTR.

Some of that was crap too, the weird flip he does to get on with Gimli still makes no sense!

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #556 on: October 1, 2022, 09:14:03 pm »
Episode 6 was stunning and just as brutal as HOD without being boring and confusing.

Really looking forward to the last 2 of the series.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #557 on: October 1, 2022, 11:50:12 pm »

Is there any reason that all of the stuff happening in Numenor couldn't have happened long before the scenes with the humans and the dark elf? So it was something of a misdirect rather than a glaring error in timing? Nope.

In any event, I'm genuinely stunned you're back on this thread. You hate this show. Stop fucking watching it :lmao

I much prefer it to the Hobbit films, for what it's worth. If I never have to watch dwarves leaping from barrel to barrel or escaping death in increasingly implausible ways, it'll be too soon.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: October 2, 2022, 12:08:48 am »
We're now in the age were practical stunts with real people are 'hysterically bad' and weightless rubber-limbed CG creations defying gravity are 'badass'.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #559 on: October 2, 2022, 07:12:08 am »
I thought if was fantastic. Also

Spoiler
Halbrand is definitely Sauron.
[close]