Author Topic: Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Amazon TV series - September 2022)  (Read 40852 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Amazon TV series - September 2022)
« Reply #360 on: September 11, 2022, 08:02:05 pm »
It’s just like the books then……

(Runs and hides)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: September 11, 2022, 08:06:00 pm »
It’s just like the books then……

(Runs and hides)
Probably correct there.

I skipped the appendixes.

Offline redwillow

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #362 on: September 11, 2022, 11:51:29 pm »
Unsure if I have missed something but why are the orcs in this effected by the sun light but not as much in Hobbit or LOTR?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: September 12, 2022, 12:29:02 am »
Unsure if I have missed something but why are the orcs in this effected by the sun light but not as much in Hobbit or LOTR?
They are still affected in LoTR's. Just not as much as here. They're probably an early breed not yet adapted to the Sun. I can't remember who it was exactly who said in the LoTR's about the Uruk-hai and why they were bred. A fighting army capable of moving in the dark and the sun.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #364 on: September 12, 2022, 07:38:44 am »
They are still affected in LoTR's. Just not as much as here. They're probably an early breed not yet adapted to the Sun. I can't remember who it was exactly who said in the LoTR's about the Uruk-hai and why they were bred. A fighting army capable of moving in the dark and the sun.

Saruman created the Uruk-Hai. The implication is that he cross bred orcs and humans to make them more able to withstand sunlight.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: September 12, 2022, 09:34:29 am »
We've all had boozy nights out :D

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: September 12, 2022, 02:58:34 pm »
As has been rightly pointed out, there's lots to like, but also stuff that just annoys me. It looks amazing. Arguably on par with the Peter Jackson films at times. It's well shot. Looks top tier. Acting is grand...for the most part anyway. Dialogue is a bit dodgy at times, though.

But I don't know. Something just feels off about it. It's just not grabbing me at all, and when you feel the urge to skip through certain scenes because of how tedious they are, that's not a good sign. I just find it all a bit boring. I'll maybe give it another couple of episodes to see if it ramps things up a bit. I'll blame Peter Jackson's vision on that, the better parts of this that are clearly inspired by.

Tbf, to make a masterpiece show is way harder than a movie and it's incomparable. Lower budget, average actors, the length of the show - it's hard to hit the nail in every scene and in every line, and it's not easy to stretch the story to several seasons and to add different elements to connect things.

I was a big critic myself before the show started, but fuck it, i stopped being that and just enjoying the show as much as i can.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: September 12, 2022, 03:10:26 pm »

I'm not sure if it is more present in the books than the films, or just more obvious.

There is an indirect reference in the first filme with Aragorn's line "By night these hills will be swarming of orcs".

By the time of the third book/film, eruptions from Mount Doom makes daytime darker, which makes it easier for the Orcs, but I don't think this is directly mentioned in the film.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: September 12, 2022, 06:27:01 pm »
I'm not sure if it is more present in the books than the films, or just more obvious.

There is an indirect reference in the first filme with Aragorn's line "By night these hills will be swarming of orcs".

By the time of the third book/film, eruptions from Mount Doom makes daytime darker, which makes it easier for the Orcs, but I don't think this is directly mentioned in the film.
Yeah, it's said the gloom of Mordor permits them to walk around during the day because the sun is blotted with cloud and smoke. The bog standard Orc has issues with the sun. That's why Aragorn said that at the end of the Fellowship (if memory serves me right) because he didn't know the Isengard orcs existed yet.

The only place where I can see it being a tad inconsistent is the siege of Osgiliath, and the passage to Helms Deep where warg riders attacked the caravan in open daylight.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: September 12, 2022, 06:36:48 pm »
Tbf, to make a masterpiece show is way harder than a movie and it's incomparable. Lower budget, average actors, the length of the show - it's hard to hit the nail in every scene and in every line, and it's not easy to stretch the story to several seasons and to add different elements to connect things.

I was a big critic myself before the show started, but fuck it, i stopped being that and just enjoying the show as much as i can.
I'm not sure that can be used for excuse these days. 10 years ago? Yeah, maybe. But TV production has come a long way. A lot of TV shows now would surpass a lot of big budget films made in the last 30 years in terms of production. This cost over 400 million to make, which is crazy money for a TV show. And most film makers would agree that it's harder to make something short than to make something longer.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #370 on: September 12, 2022, 09:38:48 pm »

This is about two thousand years before LOTR innit

Orcs were bred and raised in the dark

So they hate the dark. And at this point they're more vulnerable to it than they will be later. I see it like slight evolution

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #371 on: September 12, 2022, 09:44:47 pm »
Saruman created the Uruk-Hai. The implication is that he cross bred orcs and humans to make them more able to withstand sunlight.
Like when Scottish people have kids with people form the Mediterranean?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #372 on: September 13, 2022, 01:17:47 am »
Like when Scottish people have kids with people form the Mediterranean?

Uruk Hailanders?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: September 13, 2022, 03:08:09 pm »
Spoiler
Could that Adar guy be one of Nazguls? He looked human to me, or he was an elf?
[close]

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #374 on: September 15, 2022, 02:21:12 pm »
Thoroughly enjoyed the first three episodes. Looks absolutely stunning and love the mysteries it's setting up and already causing discussion and theorising.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #375 on: September 15, 2022, 05:29:27 pm »
Also
Spoiler
Pretty convinced after episode 3 that the stranger is Gandalf and the guy with Galadriel from the raft is Sauron. Particularly with the latter there was alot of evidence in that last episode. Either that or they're making it look that way to pull the rug later.
[close]

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: September 16, 2022, 07:48:46 am »
Also
Spoiler
Pretty convinced after episode 3 that the stranger is Gandalf and the guy with Galadriel from the raft is Sauron. Particularly with the latter there was alot of evidence in that last episode. Either that or they're making it look that way to pull the rug later.
[close]

Spoiler
I thought the same too with Halbrand/Sauron as we know he causes the downfall of Numenor. But part of my thinks he's connected to the Lord of the Nazgul now
[close]
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: September 16, 2022, 11:45:36 am »
Will we get to see the Rings of Power in the series?

And I assume the tower they are constructing will go on to be Isenguard?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #378 on: September 16, 2022, 04:19:01 pm »
Can we talk about the Hobbit accents?   :-X

Otherwise it's expansive & beautiful. Thumbs up for the first 3 episodes!

Spoiler
Adar is suggested to be Sauron and he's already in the Southlands, not in Numenor. Could be another deflection though.
[close]
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: September 16, 2022, 07:55:16 pm »
Just watched episode 4. Decent but not much going on.

Spoiler
Definitely feels like Halbrand is Sauron.

And why is that sword so important? The one that kid Theo is hiding?
[close]

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #380 on: September 16, 2022, 11:56:56 pm »
I really enjoyed episode 4 loved the soundtrack to things like the chase through the woods some great visuals and enjoyed the elf vs dwarf banter.

And I like the way they are playing Adar in a way he reminds me of the villain in the new Thor movie a thinking villain with more to him.

Setting it all up for the things to come.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 12:00:57 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #381 on: September 17, 2022, 10:48:15 am »
Well, episode 4 was okay, very much setting things up for what's to come. I am enjoying it so far and really look forward to Fridays to get in a watch it so that's a good sign!

Interesting to read other people's opinions. I havent got a massive knowledge on the series, so the talk about Halbrand has gone over my head a bit.

Loved the films but didn't rewatch before the series so my memory is hazy so will naturally miss some references.

Spoiler
Adar. If the orcs are calling him father, and it's been said Sauron is known by many names, why are people saying its not him? Is it too obvious or am I missing something?
[close]
"Salahs in here......"

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #382 on: September 17, 2022, 02:28:41 pm »
Think Adar spoke a line that suggests The Stranger could be Sauron?

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #383 on: September 17, 2022, 03:53:35 pm »
I might rewatch. I was pretty pooped last night.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #384 on: September 17, 2022, 06:24:02 pm »

Or it means his arrival is Sauron’s time to move

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: September 17, 2022, 07:11:24 pm »
Well, episode 4 was okay, very much setting things up for what's to come. I am enjoying it so far and really look forward to Fridays to get in a watch it so that's a good sign!

Interesting to read other people's opinions. I havent got a massive knowledge on the series, so the talk about Halbrand has gone over my head a bit.

Loved the films but didn't rewatch before the series so my memory is hazy so will naturally miss some references.

Spoiler
Adar. If the orcs are calling him father, and it's been said Sauron is known by many names, why are people saying its not him? Is it too obvious or am I missing something?
[close]

Spoiler
I believe they are calling him father because he's one of the oldest corrupted elves by Morgoth, and orcs being corrupted elves themselves, or part elves, it comes naturally to them to call him father. That's my theory anyway
[close]

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: September 17, 2022, 07:17:05 pm »
Just watched episode 4. Decent but not much going on.

Spoiler
Definitely feels like Halbrand is Sauron.

And why is that sword so important? The one that kid Theo is hiding?
[close]

Probably the Witch King or one of the Nine.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #387 on: September 17, 2022, 09:08:24 pm »
So, watched the fourth episode last night, and I think that will be it for me. I don't like to write about things I don't like, I much prefer to do the opposite, but this had my hopes up after the first episode and it has been an almighty disappointment ever since.

Let me start by saying I'm not some Tolkien purist or anything close. Other than loving the movies as a kid, I have no connection to the source material. I don't care and have been completely out of the loop about all the diversity controversy around it. The only thing I cared about was watching some good engaging storytelling, with some visually stunning imagery, and some exciting spectacle. Given the budget, source material and hype around the show, I don't think those were unfair expectations.

Other than on the visual front, especially in the first two episodes, and the Orc's design, I don't find anything compelling about this show. The story is so incredible plodding and unengaging. More than 4 hours in, and I don't think I can say anything significant that has happened. That's one hour longer than The Fellowship of the Ring for reference. I don't like or care about 95% of the characters in the show, other than Durin, Disa and possibly Nori, and they keep introducing more boring characters and uninteresting storylines for me to not care about. I find the writing mediocre and generic, the pacing glacial, and the acting middling, at best. It's just a stunning-looking mediocre bore.

Galadriel is my biggest disappointment so far. She just comes across as a bratty entitled teenager, not as a three hundred years old wise and powerful elf. It's like the writers are actively trying to make her unlikeable. The actress brings no life or gravitas to the character either. That's one of the most surprising things for me, as I thought Morfydd Clark was incredible in Saint Maud. But I think bad writing and a confusing direction can make any actor look bad.

There was a scene in the last episode, that had one of the most incompetently directed, edited and downright embarrassing action sequences I have seen in years, and I use the term action very loosely.

Spoiler
It involves an unarmed Galadriel (as could not be otherwise) fighting and pushing (yes pushing) four fully armed Numenor guards into a cellblock like they were a bunch of naughty five years old. In the first shot of the sequence, we see her attacking the first guard. Then we cut to an observing Pharazôn, and some seconds later we cut to a shot of Galadriel pushing the last of the four guards into the cell. How exactly she managed to pull such an endeavour, is deliberately not clear, but that doesn't matter. Didn't you see how she single handily killed a Snow Troll a few episodes ago? Of course four pesky Numenor guards would be no match for her power, or so the show would like you to believe. One can only imagine that the full sequence must be so badly choreographed and ridiculous looking, that they decided to cut most of the fighting out. But then you remember this is a gigantic 500 m. production and your forgiving nature is severely tested.
[close]

« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 09:47:47 pm by Lastrador »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: September 17, 2022, 09:11:30 pm »
Well she has been a warrior for a couple of millennia,guess she has picked up a few skills along the way.

Thought it was a great episode myself.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #389 on: September 17, 2022, 09:13:03 pm »
Well she has been a warrior for a couple of millennia,guess she has picked up a few skills along the way.

Thought it was a great episode myself.
Show it then.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: September 17, 2022, 09:22:19 pm »
Show it then.

I thought they did,she rolled them in before they knew wtf was going on,no ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #391 on: September 17, 2022, 09:33:25 pm »

I thought they did,she rolled them in before they knew wtf was going on,no ?
That’s what possible happened, but not what they showed. What they showed was the begging and end of the sequence, but we never did see how she rolled them in. There’s no excuse to not show it, other than the sequence looking really bad on screen.

I’m glad you enjoy it though. I wish I could as the missus seems to like it too, and we were watching it together. I just found too many elements of it poor or mediocre, and every episode is too fucking long to keep watching something that does nothing for me.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 09:57:04 pm by Lastrador »

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: September 17, 2022, 09:39:49 pm »
Edit: nm
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 09:41:26 pm by wampa1 »

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: September 17, 2022, 10:24:27 pm »
It's just a stunning-looking mediocre bore.

Sorry for snipping the rest out (which I mostly agree with), but this is my view of it too in a concise sentence. Sure, they're going for the slow burn, but it's coming off as a expensive GoT knock off and not doing that kind of thing nearly as well. The problem for me is the same as yours: the characters are all mostly shite. I can't get behind any of them. The orcs look great, but they are wasted with the writing. Even though the orcs in the films lacked the kind of individualism that the books had, they still had more personality than this. As for Galadriel, she started out well enough, but I couldn't help looking at her in the latest episode and my mind wondered to Cate Blanchett's version of her and how different they seem. Blanchett didn't even need to open her mouth for the most part and she still managed to convey the allure and mystique of the character. She got it spot on, but I don't blame the actress. She's fine.

I'll stick with watching it for now, but I'm far from impressed. Who knows: maybe it'll get better.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 10:26:24 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #394 on: September 17, 2022, 11:24:55 pm »
Sorry for snipping the rest out (which I mostly agree with), but this is my view of it too in a concise sentence. Sure, they're going for the slow burn, but it's coming off as a expensive GoT knock off and not doing that kind of thing nearly as well. The problem for me is the same as yours: the characters are all mostly shite. I can't get behind any of them. The orcs look great, but they are wasted with the writing. Even though the orcs in the films lacked the kind of individualism that the books had, they still had more personality than this. As for Galadriel, she started out well enough, but I couldn't help looking at her in the latest episode and my mind wondered to Cate Blanchett's version of her and how different they seem. Blanchett didn't even need to open her mouth for the most part and she still managed to convey the allure and mystique of the character. She got it spot on, but I don't blame the actress. She's fine.

I'll stick with watching it for now, but I'm far from impressed. Who knows: maybe it'll get better.
Yeah, that's a bizarre decision for me. You have a gigantic budget and decide to start with a slow burn, which relays on the writing and acting to be top-notch to be engaging, which is clearly not the show's biggest strength. I really can't fathom how they invested so much money in this show and didn't get some great experienced writers for this. It doesn't matter how much expensive CGI you throw at it, a TV show won't be engaging if the story and/or characters aren't. It boggles the mind, it really does.

Yeah, I don't blame the actress either, she certainly looks the part. I think with better writing and direction, she could do a decent job, but she doesn't seem to be able to raise above the material either, which someone like Blanchett would certainly do.

I just found the two last episodes a real chore to get through. I even fall asleep during the third episode, which is something that never happens to me (the missus is usually the guilty party here) and had to rewatch large parts of it. That was the first giveaway that I wasn't enjoying the show, even though I really wanted to.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 11:28:58 pm by Lastrador »

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #395 on: September 17, 2022, 11:26:22 pm »

"My mother died today. Or maybe yesterday, I don't know."
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #396 on: September 17, 2022, 11:32:25 pm »
Yeah, that's a bizarre decision for me. You have a gigantic budget and decide to start with a slow burn, which relays on the writing and acting to be top-notch to be engaging, which is clearly not the show's biggest strength. I really can't fathom how they invested so much money in this show and didn't get some great experienced writers for this. It doesn't matter how much expensive CGI you throw at it, a TV show won't be engaging if the story and/or characters aren't. It boggles the mind, it really does.

Yeah, I don't blame the actress either, she certainly looks the part. I think with better writing and direction, she could do a decent job, but she doesn't seem to be able to raise above the material either, which someone like Blanchett could certainly do.

I just found the two last episodes a real chore to get through. I even fall asleep during the third episodes, which is something that never happens to me (the missus is usually the guilty party here) and had to rewatch large parts of it. That was the first giveaway that I wasn't enjoying the show, even though I really wanted to.

That's the trouble now a series has to be all bang bang look at me..... People get bored with building up storylines and characters.

I thought we had got past all that with some great story and character based series in the last few years

How shocking that a new series takes 4 episodes to start kicking into gear..... We want in all in the first episode.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 11:40:46 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: September 17, 2022, 11:59:02 pm »
That's the trouble now a series has to be all bang bang look at me..... People get bored with building up storylines and characters.

I thought we had got past all that with some great story and character based series in the last few years

How shocking that a new series takes 4 episodes to start kicking into gear..... We want in all in the first episode.
It really doesn't. That was never a complaint I'd level at something like Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones. They all had instantly interesting, likeable or detestable characters. It just also has to have something interesting happen every episode and give you a sense of something going on.

The thing that made Peter Jackson's trilogy so good is that he knew where to trim the fat and all the guff from the books. Could you imagine watching the first film where the Hobbits foraged for mushrooms before spending about half an hour with Tom Bombadil talking bollocks in his kitchen? Fascinating stuff that would have added nothing to the story. So far, this series is all mostly that sort of thing. At least we get to see where Mithril came from. And the Palantir. Remember those?

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #398 on: September 18, 2022, 12:02:39 am »

I wouldn't have a care in the world to sit through a slow burn if the actual characters and story that was building were well-written and engaging. I don't find it to be the case in the slightest. This is a shallow unfocused fantasy show, not the Sopranos. And 4 episodes in an 8 part series, is a considerable amount of time for nothing substantial to have happened. I actually prefer the slow burn to the "bang bang look at me" kind of show that you're referring to, although the visuals on this show kind of play that "bang bang look at me" role that you mentioned.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 12:06:10 am by Lastrador »

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: September 18, 2022, 02:11:57 am »

Was the Peter Jackson's Galadriel the correct version though? She's very limited in trilogy and you think of her as some witch from the woods that can read your mind and see your past and future. Sort of fortune telling witch and nothing more.

SLAVA
UKRAINI