Author Topic: God Of War (reboot)  (Read 24804 times)

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
Re: God Of War (reboot)
« Reply #120 on: June 4, 2018, 09:19:28 am »
At least stick it in spoilers so we can try to help ;D

Spoiler
It's where you try to free the dragon that's chained up. After you destroy all the seals a couple of those big draugrs appear with the big flaming clubs along with those annoying witch things. It's only 3 enemies but the draugrs keep healing themselves plus you've got the fucking dragon blasting shit everywhere. I'll spend ages trying to kill one of them but then get distracted and it'll heal and then eventually I just get one shot killed by a fucking club!
[close]

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #121 on: June 4, 2018, 09:33:12 am »
Spoiler
It's where you try to free the dragon that's chained up. After you destroy all the seals a couple of those big draugrs appear with the big flaming clubs along with those annoying witch things. It's only 3 enemies but the draugrs keep healing themselves plus you've got the fucking dragon blasting shit everywhere. I'll spend ages trying to kill one of them but then get distracted and it'll heal and then eventually I just get one shot killed by a fucking club!
[close]

Just need to level up, playing on hard i can't tell you how many times i had to just leave missions and come back later.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #122 on: June 4, 2018, 01:18:58 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
I think the dragon flame/electricity hurts the draugurs as well so luring them into the line of fire can be effective. Levelling yourself up is another good call, there is always SO much you can do in this game. Use Atreus as much as possible, his arrows can keep enemies pinned down and buy you a bit of time. And try to build up some spartan rage, if not there then go elsewhere and kill some fuckers then come back to it. 
[close]

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: June 4, 2018, 03:37:43 pm »
Reading around online and the jist seems to be that I need to level up. I think I'm still Level 3 and I need to be at least Level 4.

Lack of Spartan rage is definitely what's screwing me as I used it all up for this big fucker that was guarding the last seal.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2018, 06:28:02 pm »
Such a good game, this. And very well designed too.

I was initially worried this was going to be too heavily influenced by TLoU, but thankfully it's anything but that. It's a proper game, the way games used to be made, and the way the story is infused with the gameplay is how a story should be handled in a game. Backtracking, secrets, and even areas you can choose to return to if you haven't kitted yourself out adequately enough is something I wasn't expecting. It's linear in places, but open design for the most part, sort of like Zelda titles before BoTW. Fantastic game. Would happily play through this again once I'm done, but first I need to hunt for more of those apples.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2018, 09:44:24 pm »
Finished it, loved it. Don't feel all that compelled to clear up the other missions except maybe Valkyries but it was a brilliant experience.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2018, 06:06:05 pm »
Finished it, loved it. Don't feel all that compelled to clear up the other missions except maybe Valkyries but it was a brilliant experience.
same here. Usually I try to finish 100% but need to come back to this  after a while. If someone held a gun to my head and forced me to say something negative, it would be
Spoiler
the lack of “real” bosses. The old GOW games used to have some amazing bosses that you could fight in three or four stages. It started well with The Tattoed Man but didn’t really deliver throughout the game.
[close]

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2018, 05:40:59 am »
Finished the main story by completing only 31% of the overall game... am I missing something here??? Seems piss poor that you only need to complete 31% percent of the overall game to complete the main quest.
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2018, 08:21:56 am »
Finished the main story by completing only 31% of the overall game... am I missing something here??? Seems piss poor that you only need to complete 31% percent of the overall game to complete the main quest.

Well there are many side quests also and exploration. I've completed about 65 percent of the game and haven't finished the main story yet.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2018, 02:02:52 pm »
Check out the two realms that you’ve unlocked while playing the story: Niflheim and Muspelheim. Especially Niflheim offers a fresh approach to how you play the game.

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2018, 06:36:30 pm »
Got the Platinum trophy for this last night.

Such a great game. Best I've played in a while.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2018, 10:32:40 pm »
Finished the main story and just tried taking on a Valkyrie. Needless to say I got my arse handed to me.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2018, 05:26:47 am »
Check out the two realms that you’ve unlocked while playing the story: Niflheim and Muspelheim. Especially Niflheim offers a fresh approach to how you play the game.

Will do ..thanks a lot for the feedback..
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2018, 09:37:00 am »
Finished the main story and just tried taking on a Valkyrie. Needless to say I got my arse handed to me.

Went away for a bit, upgraded my gear a bit and then... still got my arse handed to me. Fucking tough these bastards.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #134 on: June 28, 2018, 01:50:35 pm »
Went away for a bit, upgraded my gear a bit and then... still got my arse handed to me. Fucking tough these bastards.

Beat 2 in my brief bit of post-story play before binging it off to CEX. You have to learn their attack patterns and spend 90% of your time dodging.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2018, 11:38:01 am »
Hit them as they exit their shell at the start with your runic attacks as it'll drop their health by half depending on if you've fully upgraded them; I have rampage of the furies, premetheus flame, leviathans wake and breath of thamur and then have those rocket gauntlets. Basically down to the end Valkyrie. The other thing is to make sure you use Atreus when they're about to do power up attacks as it will stall them.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: July 9, 2018, 12:50:49 pm »
Conquered all the Valkyries now except for the one in Niflheim and the Queen. Can't really be arsed with either of them so I think that's me pretty much finished with the game as there isn't much else to do.

Easily one of the best games I've played. Stunning visually and some of the most enjoyable and immersive combat I've ever seen.

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2018, 12:02:32 am »
Can’t be arsed with Valkyries. Are DLC still a thing? Or ist that too 2015 for the multiplayer generation?

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2018, 01:53:09 am »
Can’t be arsed with Valkyries. Are DLC still a thing? Or ist that too 2015 for the multiplayer generation?

It's planned I think.
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2018, 09:11:49 am »
Conquered all the Valkyries now except for the one in Niflheim and the Queen. Can't really be arsed with either of them so I think that's me pretty much finished with the game as there isn't much else to do.

Easily one of the best games I've played. Stunning visually and some of the most enjoyable and immersive combat I've ever seen.

So revisited it yesterday cos I was bored and I just love this game so bloody much. Finished the last couple of Valkyries pretty easily then spent an hour trying to take down the Queen. Best I got her down to was about 1/4 of her health. Nearly launched the controller out the window!! :D

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2018, 10:02:11 am »
So revisited it yesterday cos I was bored and I just love this game so bloody much. Finished the last couple of Valkyries pretty easily then spent an hour trying to take down the Queen. Best I got her down to was about 1/4 of her health. Nearly launched the controller out the window!! :D

Has anyone beaten this bitch? I've spent about 3 hours now in total I think trying to beat her. I've watched youtube videos, I've tried different gear, just can't seem to kill her!

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2018, 10:45:31 am »
Basically bought a PS4 Pro the other day to play this and a handful of other PS exclusives.

What a fucking game! Blown away by it!

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2018, 03:32:33 pm »
Has anyone beaten this bitch? I've spent about 3 hours now in total I think trying to beat her. I've watched youtube videos, I've tried different gear, just can't seem to kill her!

I did it!! I know nobody cares but I had to share my success. Fucking hell that was way too hard.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2018, 03:23:23 am »
Got this for Christmas.

Only a few hours in and loving it so far, except that I seem to die a lot. Haven’t really got to grips with the combat. Does it take a while to get used to? And would you consider it a hard game in general?

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2018, 11:04:07 am »
Got this for Christmas.

Only a few hours in and loving it so far, except that I seem to die a lot. Haven’t really got to grips with the combat. Does it take a while to get used to? And would you consider it a hard game in general?
depends on the difficulty setting. “Give me a balanced experience” gets fairly easy after a while. Like you said, combat gets easier after a while when you learn new moves and upgrade your gear. Using the kid to stun enemies became my foundation of combat.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2018, 03:12:22 pm »
Basically level up Atreus as he is fundamental to the combat. Plus it's more than just old hacking and slashing, take your time, dodge, see what kind of attacks work against diffwrent enemies. It's not a one rule for all kinds thing.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #146 on: January 1, 2019, 09:13:44 pm »
Thanks for the advice, getting much more used to the combat now.

Didn’t think I’d enjoy this game as much as I am. It’s beautiful. Can’t think of a weak point yet.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #147 on: January 8, 2019, 11:56:34 am »
Amazing game. None of this having to play with/against 12 year old Americans online bullshit that seems to becoming the norm these days.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline dalarr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 8, 2019, 05:16:05 pm »
Amazing game. None of this having to play with/against 12 year old Americans online bullshit that seems to becoming the norm these days.
Yes. Also you can pause the game and take a break, a must if you have children. I’m getting too old for online gaming where you have to be on point all the time. I’m happy that games like this prove that single player games can be successful. The day where every single game is a “free” massive multiplayer game with micro transactions is the day where I’m done.

This game is a true masterpiece. I love the attention to detail, the story, the voice acting, the leveling system..brilliant.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2019, 05:19:26 pm by dalarr »

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #149 on: January 8, 2019, 06:17:56 pm »
Yes. Also you can pause the game and take a break, a must if you have children. I’m getting too old for online gaming where you have to be on point all the time. I’m happy that games like this prove that single player games can be successful. The day where every single game is a “free” massive multiplayer game with micro transactions is the day where I’m done.

This game is a true masterpiece. I love the attention to detail, the story, the voice acting, the leveling system..brilliant.
Love your reasoning. It's why my favourite games of this generation have been The Witcher 3 and RDR2. Definitely picking this one up after I complete RDR2.

Offline ArthurDooley82

• Box-clever, non-pink, manly man's man. Contact for more details. No bibs! Grrrr :)
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #150 on: January 9, 2019, 10:52:21 am »
Got this on Black Friday for £20 and only just started playing it, one of the best games I’ve ever played in years

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #151 on: March 5, 2019, 03:07:05 pm »
Finished it recently. Stunning game. The last three games I've bought have been this, Zelda - Breath of the Wild and Red Dead Redemption II. All lived up to the the hype in most regards, but God of War was the only one that didn't frustrate me at any point. With Zelda I felt the shallowness of the characters and side missions really detracted from the game at times, and gave me no incentive to carry on. With Red Dead, it was almost the opposite. I got kind of overwhelmed because there was simply so much to do. That's a game that I'll have to return to again later and reassess.

God of War was just pure fun from start to finish though. The difficulty felt just right, the pacing was great, it looks beautiful, the world feels like the perfect size and the story didn't drag on. It's a 10/10 game in that I simply couldn't find one flaw whilst I played through it. It's so rare to spend that many hours on a game and come away with no complaints.

I was all set on getting the platinum by exploring the world and finding all the collectibles, until I heard about Niflheim and Muspelheim. I haven't explored either and I don't really understand what they are. All I know is it sounds like it would take many hours to complete them both and I'm not sure I'm up for that grind so soon after finishing. Has anyone completed those parts who can give me some advice? Are they worth it?

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #152 on: March 21, 2019, 01:41:58 pm »
All I have to do is beat Sigrun and I have the platinum.

She's erm...pretty hard though. I beat all the others comfortably, most on my first attempt.

Anyone got any advice?

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #153 on: March 22, 2019, 12:09:42 am »
I turned it to easy for the Trials, Niflheim and the Valkyries since I just wanted the Platinum at that point, and Sigrun still kicked my arse a couple of dozen times

Not a tip as such, but I feel your pain

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: March 22, 2019, 04:03:35 am »
I turned it to easy for the Trials, Niflheim and the Valkyries since I just wanted the Platinum at that point, and Sigrun still kicked my arse a couple of dozen times

Not a tip as such, but I feel your pain

Same, fuck it.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #155 on: August 8, 2019, 12:19:51 pm »
Finished the story on this last night. I only got my PS4 at Christmas, it was so I could play the PS exclusives. This game's great. The story, the lore, the depth of character - loved it.

Seems like there are still masses of things to do in it even acteehe story is finished - might finish TLOU then come back to it.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2019, 02:05:16 pm »
Just started this - seems good so far.

What mode did you guys use - performance or graphics (I think those were the two options)?  I've only got a 1080p tv so chose performance - the high frame rate is taking a bit of getting used to!  It's like having soap opera effect on movies, which I dislike.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2019, 01:57:29 am »
My son got me this for Xmas.  (good lad :) )

Started earlier today on the next to hardest level and happy to see a good few of you in this thread did the same and were getting their arses handed to them initially.

Lots of spoiler tags in here which is nice to see but I'm glad I saw that I will have chance to level up as I go on and get more combat combo moves etc.

I've completed the first batches of enemies on the mountain trail while hunting for deer and even that was quite satisfying :)  Rolling (evade) is definitely the key so far.  As a Dark Souls/BB veteran I know all about the importance of a dodge move when trying to stay alive.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2019, 07:56:58 am »
Genuinely took me about ten goes to get through the first proper combat encounter on Hard

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: January 4, 2020, 06:44:50 pm »
Wow. "Give me a challenge" mode (HARD) is so so tough but I refuse to drop it a level.

Read lots of reviews and most people seem to say persevere with it as the "Give me as balanced experience" mode (NORMAL) makes the game far too easy once you level up skills, weapons and stuff.

I am not even considering the "Give me God of War" mode (BRUTAL).  Thankfully you don't need it for Platinum Trophy :)