Author Topic: Wildlife and Natural Places  (Read 45414 times)

Offline Rob17

• Legacy Fan
  • The Ultimate Wingman
Re: Wildlife and Natural Places
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2014, 02:18:59 pm »
These are a few pictures of my Dive trip to Egypt this summer, we did a Liveaboard trip to the northern Red Sea.  The reefs are beautiful and there are plenty of wrecks to photograph, most of them having crashed into the reef due to poor navigation.  All shots are taken with a wide angle fish eye Tokina 10-17mm lens.

These first pictures are of a dive on a wreck called Ulysses. We descended onto to the wreck but didn't get to see much of it as we were distracted by a large pod of Dolphins that seemed to come out of nowhere.  It was an incredible experience as they played with us and swam around us for about 10 minutes.

This picture is of another wreck called The Barge.  It isn't much to look at initially but it is absolutely crawling with critters, from scorpion and stone fish to crocodile fish and huge Moray Eels all over it.  There is so much to see.  This picture took me a few shots to get but with my wide angle lens was able to get the whole boat in.  You can see our dive boat on the surface in the right hand corner.

This picture is of another wreck called The Chrisola K, you can penetrate this wreck through narrow corridors and was carrying tiles when it crashed.  The size of the propellers are put into perspective with my dive buddy next to it.

This picture was taken by chance at the end of a dive on a reef.  I was doing my safety stop at 5 metres and there was a small bommie with beautiful coral on it with loads of small fish.  It is probably my favourite picture of the trip as the light was perfect streaming in from the surface.

This is a butterfly fish swimming in the blue.  I like the contrast of the blue and the yellow of the fish.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2014, 02:21:47 pm »
Fantastic mate.

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2014, 02:44:16 pm »
Great thread. Was lucky enough to spend 4 nights in the Masai Mara back in 2009. Best trip I ever went on.

Will post a few photos and experiences when I get a half hour or so to do it justice.
What we achieve in life, echoes in eternity

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2014, 03:19:58 pm »
Didn't think of underwater shots. I'll see if I can add some when u get back.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2014, 03:45:48 pm »
Nice thread folks. Enjoying it

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2014, 04:13:50 pm »
This picture was taken by chance at the end of a dive on a reef.  I was doing my safety stop at 5 metres and there was a small bommie with beautiful coral on it with loads of small fish.  It is probably my favourite picture of the trip as the light was perfect streaming in from the surface.
Love this shot. Thanks for posting, Rob ;) What's a bommie, btw?

Offline Rob17

• Legacy Fan
  • The Ultimate Wingman
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2014, 05:01:15 pm »
Love this shot. Thanks for posting, Rob ;) What's a bommie, btw?

No worries, great thread!  I think it's an Australian term actually, I used to work for a dive company on the GBR so used it a lot there and it stuck, it's basically a mound underwater usually with coral and life on it. Small enough to swim around. 

I have a few more:

This one fascinates me, purely for the fact that I have no idea what the dolphin is doing.  It was balancing on that structure for a little while, not sure if it was scratching its nose or something else but it seemed to just be showing off!

This one is your standard reef clown fish, not quite a 'nemo' but similar.

And this a large school of barracuda, schooling in a circle.  Was very tempted to try and get in the middle of them, but the closer I got, the teeth got bigger as well.   :D

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 05:05:50 pm by Rob17 »

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2014, 05:24:47 pm »
Rob they are marvelous pictures. Love it.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2014, 06:43:27 pm »
Those pictures are simply incredible.

What do you do if the dolphins get playfully aggressive? They are powerful at the end of the day. One can only imagine the adrenaline rush that comes from diving with whale sharks and killer whales
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2014, 06:59:51 pm »
Nils that is a wonderful thread, the pictures are incredible, amazing really may I say very well done
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Rob17

• Legacy Fan
  • The Ultimate Wingman
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2014, 07:55:21 pm »
Those pictures are simply incredible.

What do you do if the dolphins get playfully aggressive? They are powerful at the end of the day. One can only imagine the adrenaline rush that comes from diving with whale sharks and killer whales

Hey, thanks for the comments! Flinstone you are right they are powerful animals and we are basically in their environment at their mercy, but through diving a lot you realise how rare it is for a shark to attack you underwater let alone a dolphin if you give them the respect they deserve.  It gives you a massive buzz though when you see something big come out of the blue and you don't know what it is!  The dolphins genuinely just want to have fun, they play in your bubbles and copy your movements it's incredible.

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2014, 08:07:48 pm »
Great pics Rob! I'd love to try diving, but the sea and I are not a good mix.

Nils that is a wonderful thread, the pictures are incredible, amazing really may I say very well done
Thank you, there have been some fantastic contributions, Mr. G.

Will post a few photos and experiences when I get a half hour or so to do it justice.
Looking forward to these, Dublin Red

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2015, 07:37:32 pm »
These are Fallow Deer in Richmond Park. Introduced after the Norman conquest (or possibly the Roman one), so not native to the British Isles. They come in four variants by coat colour; the young stag in the foreground is a standard one, the darkest form on the left and the a lighter form behind. There is an almost white variant (not an albino) too which are the rarest.

There's a much wider variation of coats in Fallow Deer. Also helps explain the proliferation of Black Stag pubs.

The following were taken in early March last year. We literally nearly tripped over them because a) their camouflage b) we didn't expect them to be in number in the woods.

Really proud how close I got these on all those crunchy dried leaves. Not bad for a city boy. But then again these are city deer.

Offline Dublin Red

• Jehova, Jehova, Jehova
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2015, 10:27:28 pm »
Fantastic photos ZZ. Reminds me to post some thoughts on Kenya :)
What we achieve in life, echoes in eternity

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2015, 12:58:46 pm »
A tree frog climbing up the side of my house

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2015, 06:33:15 pm »
I've been meaning to post in this thread for a while, but can't find time to dig out some of my good pictures. But last night I came back from Joshua Tree National Park in California (<3 hours away from home) and shot a time lapse (I hope the link works):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8817079@N08/16407294017/

I love this rock. More than a year ago, just around New Year 2014, I shot this image:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8817079@N08/16427754440/

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:26:27 pm by farawayred »
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2015, 02:56:35 pm »
The vid is not working for me sadly, faraway red. Love the rock pic. Please post up your other pics when you get a moment.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2015, 03:27:50 pm »
Love deer. Such beautiful animals. Great photos zz.

Just watched the BBC documentary series Yellowstone over the weekend. Amazing stuff. Have been planning to go for a coast-to-coast trip in the US (will probably be in 2016) and have Yellowstone as a definite highlight.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2015, 06:11:45 pm »
The vid is not working for me sadly, faraway red. Love the rock pic. Please post up your other pics when you get a moment.
Sorry about the video... I'm not a computer wiz, but try this one:
https://ci-16407294017-894f98b9.http.atlas.cdn.yimg.com/flickr3/8817079@N08/16407294017/16407294017_034cf36299.mov?dt=flickr&x=1425319848&fn=16407294017.mov&bt=0&a=flickr&d=cp_d%3Dwww.flickr.com%26cp_t%3Ds%26cp%3D792600246%26mid%3D16407294017%26ufn%3D16407294017.mov&s=141ec6e526b483037c33cea13d62fa1e

Both are working on my side, so I don't know what the problem is...

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2015, 06:25:12 pm »
Here are a couple more images (I figured out how to embed images from Flickr, yay! So I updated my previous post with the pic. Still working on the video...):

rainbow over Petrified Forest (2004) https://www.flickr.com/photos/8817079@N08/16438900328/

and alpenglow on Matterhorn (2012) https://www.flickr.com/photos/8817079@N08/16600074666/

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2015, 08:06:54 pm »
Sorry about the video... I'm not a computer wiz, but try this one:
That is genuinely amazing. I take it those are satellites streaking across the sky? Though what's that in the bottom left in the first few seconds?

Anything you could share on Joshua Tree National Park (with pics if possible) would be greatly appreciated. When is the best time of year to visit?

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2015, 10:18:24 pm »
That is genuinely amazing. I take it those are satellites streaking across the sky? Though what's that in the bottom left in the first few seconds?

Anything you could share on Joshua Tree National Park (with pics if possible) would be greatly appreciated. When is the best time of year to visit?

These are airplanes, unfortunately, there are hundreds of them... I didn't realize that until I shot that time lapse video. For a picture, one can always wait for the plane to go through the field of view, but not in this case. This video was shot within several hours, each frame is 30 seconds, and the planes pop up from everywhere like fireflies.

As for Joshua Tree, being so close to me, I love going there whenever I get a chance. It's a nice place where two deserts meet, the Sonoran and the Colorado, and the plants and animals vary from low to high ground. Here is an example of cholla cacti (panorama and a focus-stacked image from hend-held taken pictures)

When to go? It's a matter of personal preference and what you want to experience, but to me, the early spring when the flowers bloom after a few heavy rains is surreal! The desert comes alive with all kinds of flowers, carpets of color are everywhere. But it does take a good rainfall, which we haven't had for years... It's a desert, so winter lets you avoid extreme heat. Every time there is something in the night sky you want to see or image, it's probably the best place to go (other than higher up the mountains). I don't ignore the summers either, hot during the day, but there is so much to explore... Most of the park never gets visitors, so if you are up for an adventure on your own  away from the beaten path, it's an excellent place. But you have to be very careful, people have lost their lives there, and some may not have been found...

If you decide to go, try to get a campground and stay overnight. The Arch Rock is right next to the White Tank campground, there are big horn sheep near Barker Dam, lots of climbers go to Jumbo Rocks. Feel free to PM me if you want tips depending on what you are looking for.

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 9, 2015, 10:26:19 pm »
faraway, your post and lovely pics really deserved a reply, but I didn't want to hog the thread. My flatmate from Uni now lives in Calgary, so when I go see him (eventually) I want to drive down through Montana (dinosaur and Native American country) to Yellowstone. Joshua Tree might be a bridge too far, but if the tribe are up for it, expect some PM's.

These will be the last from me of "Deer of Richmond Park", unless something interesting turns up during the fawning season (about nowish)

There's a stream between us (Beverley Brook, about 15 feet across), so the deer were quite comfortable getting close. I've found sitting in plain sight works with these deer. Would never happen with proper, wild deer. These are all Red Deer, btw.

There was one stag that kept on checking me out - not quite settling down to feed like the others. Eventually it made as if to drink and then crossed the brook to join me on the bank. I'm quite pleased with my "field craft" (sitting in the open), at least noticing that it was behaving slightly odd.

It started to feed on the the weeping willows, but couldn't quite settle because I was too close and was making him nervous. So, I retreated asset's his home, not mine.

An arty one from the same day (in July)

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2015, 11:27:18 pm »

Like Monet said, "my best work is my garden", art can move you with its beauty, provoke, and ask important questions about the human condition, but then you have nature and wildlife which can just take your breath away and humble you like nothing else. There are such immense treasures out there to explore in natural monuments, natural parks, and geology in general. I've barely started myself so it's great to see some more seasoned explorers in here with some fantastic photo's and stories.

Here's a link to some interesting natural monuments in Europe, the article is poorly written but the photo's speak for themselves. This is just a small selection too!

This is not strictly natural, as the cave is partly constructed, but the photo below is from Seegrotte, the largest subterranean lake in Europe, just south of Vienna. It's a "former gypsum mine. It was closed in 1912 after the mine flooded with 20 million litres of water. It became a tourist attraction after 1930 and has been one ever since, with the exception of World War II. The lake is 60 meters below ground, the water surface is 6200 m² and pumps are used to keep the water level down." Unfortunately the boat tour was closed on the day we visited but we still got to see parts of the lake. The boat in the photo was part of some Hollywood prop bollocks which they thought was cool unfortunately. It's quite a special place with the turquoise water. If you're in Vienna and have a few hours to spare I'd definitely recommend going out there.

What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2015, 11:33:13 pm »
I've been meaning to post in this thread for a while, but can't find time to dig out some of my good pictures. But last night I came back from Joshua Tree National Park in California (<3 hours away from home) and shot a time lapse (I hope the link works):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/8817079@N08/16407294017/

Been watching this time lapse many times. Amazing!

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2015, 11:21:35 pm »
Not a patch on anything in this thread but I thought I'd share anyway....

Online farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2015, 04:53:43 am »
^^^ Beautiful! Where is that place?

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2015, 10:08:00 am »
Snowdon! I'm proper sore today! Defo going to skip the gym! ::)

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2015, 11:41:13 am »
Snowdon! I'm proper sore today! Defo going to skip the gym! ::)
Dammit! I was going to say Snowdonia. I climbed it on a school trip when I was eleven. Didn't see a thing that day though. Looks like you had much better day of it.

Offline Abraham

• Anny Roader
  • Justice.
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2015, 12:54:07 pm »
More gorgeous stuff above. Love coming in this thread.  :wave

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2015, 02:28:56 pm »
Dammit! I was going to say Snowdonia. I climbed it on a school trip when I was eleven. Didn't see a thing that day though. Looks like you had much better day of it.
The weather was great, bloody parky on the summit though.....especially as I'd "rocked up" in joggers and a hoodie ::)

Offline telekon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2015, 11:21:48 pm »
Looks amazing Tits. Keep 'em coming.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2015, 11:27:16 pm »
I saw three generations of one family going along Crib Goch (first photo of the three) once - granma on all fours!
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2015, 11:15:20 am »

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2015, 10:31:56 am »
Just off Fraser Island in Queensland Australia June 2014.

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2015, 11:01:38 am »
Very cool Brissy. Tell us more, such as - what are they? :)

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2015, 01:15:12 pm »
As a distraction from footy matters I thought I'd share another Sri Lankan National Park - Bundala (pronounced Boon-the-la)

History: The area was declared a wildlife sanctuary on 5 December 1969 and was upgraded to a national park on 4 January 1993 with land area of 6,216 hectares (24.00 sq mi). In 1991, Bundala became the first site in Sri Lanka to be designated a Ramsar wetland. In 2005, Bundala was declared a Man and Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO.

Habitat: Bundala is quite close to Yala, so the vegetation is pretty much the same, though it's lagoons and wetland areas are more accessible by jeep.

This is typical, acacia brush jungle dotted with ponds and small lakes. In this pic the majorirty of the bidrs are Eurasian spoonbill, Platalea leucorodia, with a couple of Painted storks, Mycteria leucocephala, in the centre.

Here you can see the spoonbill in it's breeding plumage - orange tip on it's bill and the colourful throat patch. Bundala is primarily a bird sanctuary, so the best time to visit is in January, when the place is flooded with winter migrants. The other bird on the right is a grey heron Ardea cinerea

Fauna: Bundala National Park has been identified as an outstanding Important Bird Area in the South Indian and Sri Lankan wetlands. 324 species of vertebrates have been recorded in the national park, which include 32 species of fish, 15 species of amphibians, 48 species of reptiles, 197 species of birds and 32 species of mammals. 52 species of butterflies are among the invertebrates. The wetland habitats in Bundala harbours about 100 species of water birds, half of them being migrant birds. Of 197 avifaunal species 58 are migratory species.

You can also see flocks of greater flamingo, Phoenicopterus roseus,which visits in large flocks of over 1,000 individuals, wintering from Rann of Kutch (India).

Accommodation: There are no permanent bungalows here, but you can camp in the park. Strangely enough if you're ever in Sri Lanka and you've forgotten to pack your tent, you can hire them from the Red Cross (presumably if there isn't a disaster going on at the time).

An Asian Openbill stork, Anastomus oscitans,[/size]showing us why it got it's name.

A Black winged stilt, Himantopus himantopus ceylonensis

A yellow bittern, Ixobrychus sinensis, which is apparently quite rare in Sri Lanka.

As you might have guessed, I'm not that into birds. My mum, bless her, loves her waders but I find it difficult to get excited about the things. Of course there are worse things to do with your time than spend it in a jeep in the wilds so I'm still quite happy. The one redeeming quality for me about Bundala is the abundance of one species of reptile - Crocodylus palustris kimbula - the Sri Lankan Mugger Crocodile. With all those ponds, lakes and lagoons, they are everywhere.

There's two in this shot

Over that sand back is the Indian Ocean. The water would be brackish and there's a croc cruising on the right foreground

An arty one

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2015, 01:15:54 pm »

Some other bird and wildlife from Bundala

Chestnut-headed bee-eater, Merops leschenaulti

Tufted Grey Langhur, Semnopithecus priam thersites

You can see the occasional elephant in Bundala too, but I wouldn't recommend the park if elephants is what you what to see (That would be Uda Walawe). This is an old bull and if you look between it's eye and ear you can see a small dimple. This is the opening from it's temporal ducts. When an elephant is in musth it can be aggressive and you have to watch your step with them. The drips down he side of it's head and has a really strong, acrid smell. You can also see a healed guns hot wound on it's flank (small bump).

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2015, 01:56:39 pm »
the Sri Lankan Mugger Crocodile. With all those ponds, lakes and lagoons, they are everywhere.

So basically don't go swimming in Sri Lanka if you value your limbs...

Great photos.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2015, 02:23:56 pm »
So basically don't go swimming in Sri Lanka if you value your limbs...
Funnily enough about thirty years ago we all went swimming in Heen Wewa (from the OP). Later that afternoon I counted 14 crocs - just the number I could see on the surface or on the banks from a singe vantage point. We didn't bother them and they didn't bother us. Croc attacks are very, very rare in Sri Lanka, though you do get salt water crocodiles in coastal areas which are proper man-eaters.
Great photos.
Cheers Dave