Author Topic: Xbox  (Read 307200 times)

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: XBOX 'Durango' Thread
« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2013, 06:49:38 am »
My point was that he's spent a fair amount of time in the Playstation threads waxing lyrical about them, if you prefer one that's fine, but in that case don't expect people to change their opinions when they prefer the other. For me Sony lost my support in the first 2 years of PSN. The 100 mb patches, the boring xmb, the hour long firmware updates and lack of cross game chat killed it for me. I then decided to buy an Xbox and the £40 a year was worth it to get rid of all those issues I had. And the arrogance that Sony had that the name alone would win them the console war has really put me off, even if the PS4 looks impressive.

Hahahaha. Half the time I'm trolling the other half I'm just giving an opinion. Up until this point nothing has been particularly noteworthy from either camp but what has come out has alarmed me a little from Microsoft and I believe a lot of the speculation to be on the money from sources such as eurogamer. I've never spent an hour updating firmware or patches for my ps3. Microsoft lost my support because I spent money on games which the console would scratch to death and then red ringed on me.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2013, 06:55:48 am »
Hahahaha. Half the time I'm trolling the other half I'm just giving an opinion. Up until this point nothing has been particularly noteworthy from either camp but what has come out has alarmed me a little from Microsoft and I believe a lot of the speculation to be on the money from sources such as eurogamer. I've never spent an hour updating firmware or patches for my ps3. Microsoft lost my support because I spent money on games which the console would scratch to death and then red ringed on me.
Come now Upin, we know there are times when you just love to play 'my corporate schmuck is better than your corporate schmuck'  ;)
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2013, 12:50:37 pm »
http://www.vgleaks.com/rumor-video-sharing-new-friends-system-and-enhanced-achievements-for-durango/

"We want to stand out these points.we keep our word about always online. Durango won't need an internet connection to run games or apps."

They seem pretty confident.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #203 on: April 29, 2013, 03:44:58 pm »
If anything the XMB is far superior on the PS3.  Not covered in ads, nice and minimal, and is seamless to navigate.  However in game it is a pain.

Also the hour long firmware updates, I cannot say I noticed a problem but could be my connection. 

I don't think it's fair to judge a console on those 2 items as they are very subjective.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: April 29, 2013, 04:33:50 pm »
Microsoft IllumiRoom is a coffee table projector designed for the next-generation Xbox
By Tom Warren on April 29, 2013 03:25 am

When Microsoft first unveiled its IllumiRoom technology at CES, it did so in an unusual way. The software giant traditionally reveals its research projects in short, scrappy videos accompanied by research papers and a lot of technical jargon. IllumiRoom was different. The chief technology strategy officer at Microsoft, Eric Rudder, joined the Samsung keynote to showcase a video of an augmented reality projection unit designed to extend gaming onto nearby walls. The demo showed off a concept that appeared finely tuned, using what felt like a marketing video.

"ILLUMIROOM ENVISIONS A NEXT-GENERATION GAMING CONSOLE..."

Microsoft described IllumiRoom as a "proof-of-concept system" and promised more information at a CHI 2013 event that starts this week. While the research team behind IllumiRoom will reveal the project's technical background tomorrow, a fresh preview video (30 seconds long) and a new five-minute demonstration (see below) have both provided some additional information. "IllumiRoom envisions a next-generation gaming console with a projector that sits on your coffee table and surrounds your television with projected light," says the preview video of the technology.

"OH, MY TV GOT BIGGER."

Microsoft has remained fairly quiet about its next-generation Xbox plans and IllumiRoom. The Verge spoke to Microsoft's Eric Rudder at TechForum in early March about IllumiRoom. Rudder and the Xbox team were quick to stress it's simply a proof-of-concept project, but they did share some basic information about how it works. "The LED is projecting for a frame and then turning it off and Kinect IR is reading those layovers," said Rudder. "Then the Kinect turns off for a frame and then the projector goes on and then Kinect will go back and forth." Rudder described the technology as "incredibly sophisticated," but that the experience is "Oh, my TV got bigger, and I can project on anything because the surface doesn't need to be flat."

The current prototype uses a Kinect for Windows camera alongside a projector to transfer content onto walls. Kinect captures the color scheme and geometry of the room while the projector displays all of the visuals around the TV. Microsoft says its IllumiRoom system is self-calibrating and designed to work in any living room. There are a variety of ways in which IllumiRoom can add value to games, including by extending the content, highlighting the edges of games, or enhancing select game elements like weapons fire or explosions. Another method involves displaying markers, either for specific elements in a game or other characters in a multiplayer game.

ILLUMIROOM CAN MAKE OBJECTS APPEAR TO FALL OUT OF YOUR TV

IllumiRoom can also saturate room colors, making them appear black and white, or highlight the edges of a room. A radial wobble feature makes a room feel like it's responding to a game by popping and moving as the game is played. Grid, starfield, and snow visuals react to the game and display on nearby walls. Microsoft is also working on lighting effects to capture motion from the game and display it within a living room. This augmented reality extends to game objects falling out of the screen and onto a living room floor.

Shortly after Microsoft's first unveiling of IllumiRoom, we speculated that it was connected to the company's next-generation Xbox and could be similar to Project Natal—the original codename for Kinect. Microsoft originally unveiled Kinect at E3 2009 before shipping the accessory over a year later. Microsoft's hint that IllumiRoom is linked to the company's next-generation Xbox could mean we'll see a lot more at the upcoming May 21st event or at E3 in early June.

Update: Microsoft has now released a full video demonstration of IllumiRoom and a PDF research paper. We have updated the article to include the new details.

The video's really cool btw and you can view it at the original article.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/29/4281228/microsoft-illumiroom-table-projector-for-next-xbox

Tom Warren is another fella who is pretty clued up about Microsoft. He's also tweeted a few cryptic tweets lately about the new Xbox.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 04:39:01 pm by Malaysian Kopite »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #205 on: April 29, 2013, 06:32:33 pm »
Microsoft are coming off as very, very confident in everything I've seen and read and eveything they've published up to date. Whether that's misplaced or rightful, we'll have to wait and see.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2013, 08:41:17 pm »
Microsoft’s next-generation Xbox video game and home entertainment consoled will be unveiled in less than a month on May 21st, and we should expect a steady flow of rumors and leaks leading up to the official debut. The latest report comes from Forbes, which claims that the next Xbox may launch as the “Xbox Infinity,” though recent rumors suggested the name might simply be “Xbox.” More interestingly, Forbes claims multiple sources at Microsoft have said that the next Xbox’s controllers will feature a clickable touch-sensitive area that will support gestures and other functions. Other recent reports suggest that the upcoming Xbox 360 successor will not require an always-on Internet connection as had previously been rumored, but game publishers will have the option of requiring an Internet connection for individual games if they desire.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: April 30, 2013, 07:59:14 am »
Respawn(creators of COD 1,2,4 and MW2) next game will be exclusive to the 360/Nextbox according to Kotaku.

The long-awaited first game from Respawn Entertainment—the studio helmed by the creators of Call of Duty—will be exclusive to the next-gen Xbox, according to two unrelated sources familiar with the game. One of our sources indicates that there will also be an Xbox 360 version, but no versions for rival PlayStation and Nintendo consoles.

Oh, you didn't think the console wars were over, did you?

The new game from Respawn is a futuristic multiplayer-centric online shooter, one of our sources says. The source describes the game as a battle of Davids and Goliaths. The Davids are heavily-armed foot soldiers. The Goliaths are the giant exosekeltons—Titans—that these soldiers can pilot. These Titans are big mech-style walkers that move with an agility not seen in games like Mechwarrior or Steel Battalions.

While the details of the game came to us from one source—a source who is in a good position to know what the deal is with Respawn's game—their assertion that the game is destined only for Microsoft console hardware was consistent with information another source gave us earlier this month. That other source had also told us that Respawn's game would only be for the Xbox brand. It is possible that the game could be a timed exclusive, but neither source indicated that was the case.

An Xbox-only Respawn game would be a coup for Microsoft and a fascinating twist to a number of significant sagas. It has implications for publisher EA's rivalry with Call of Duty publisher Activision; for Microsoft's competition with Sony and, less directly with Nintendo; as well as for the ongoing debate about always-online gaming. Two sources have told us that this new game is, in fact, always-online.

The new Respawn game, one of our sources tells us, is made on a modified version of Valve's Source engine, not on internal EA tech. The source believes the game looks very good on Durango but not as good as EA's internally-made Battlefield 4. That source also says that Respawn is only working on the Durango version of the game and is hand-picking a studio to make the 360 edition.

A lot more at the link:
http://3.hidemyass.com/ip-6/encoded/Oi8va290YWt1LmNvbS90aGUtbmV4dC1nZW4teGJveC1pcy1nZXR0aW5nLWEtaGVsbC1vZi1hbi1leGNsdXNpdmUtc28tNDg0Nzg1MjQx

This could be quite a coup for MS.Respwan are top gaqme devs and I'm looking forward to see what they come up with. This also ties in to the Neogaf ITK claiming that MS has secured an EA exclusive.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #208 on: April 30, 2013, 11:30:23 am »
Sounds good. Hopefully there will be something like this to keep all the COD dudebro's loyal to Microsoft. I have the fear a lot would migrate to PSN. There's already enough melons on PSN without a sudden influx of Xbox's finest as well.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: April 30, 2013, 01:45:08 pm »
If that Respawn games ploy is to work, Microsoft need to get it out there that they made MW2. They need every 'Cod-Brah' to know that fact.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline barneystuta

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • This Is Analysis - Stories & Analysis about Liverpool Football Club
« Reply #210 on: April 30, 2013, 07:34:11 pm »
Here is a good link for "confirmed" next gen Xbox games.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/51167/features/the-new-xbox-all-confirmed-xbox-720-games-in-one-place/?page=1

Some have a tentative date, some don't, but I am excited to see what is coming.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: May 1, 2013, 11:41:19 am »
A 4chan ITK  who is always spot on with Sonic rumours has claimed that the New Xbox will be called Xbox Infinite.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #212 on: May 1, 2013, 11:42:35 am »

Offline Quaid

• Thinks clinical is cretinous. Takes one to know one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: May 1, 2013, 11:46:39 am »
“By definition, you have to live until you die. Better to make that life as complete and enjoyable an experience as possible, in case death is shite, which I suspect it will be.”

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: May 1, 2013, 12:07:49 pm »
Internet required?

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #215 on: May 1, 2013, 12:11:53 pm »
Nah it's just from Reddit that someone found, was just posting it up in response to MK.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: May 1, 2013, 02:44:52 pm »
Internet required?
Apparently they're going the Sony route and leave it up to the publishers.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #217 on: May 1, 2013, 03:22:15 pm »
Do any publishers on console require an internet connection to play their game?

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: May 1, 2013, 03:34:43 pm »
Do any publishers on console require an internet connection to play their game?
Only on PS3 so far. And only one publisher.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #219 on: May 1, 2013, 03:38:01 pm »
What game mate, I can't get anything from google? Unless you are thinking of something like MAG or Warhawk which are online only games anyway?

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: May 1, 2013, 03:41:34 pm »
Apparently they're going the Sony route and leave it up to the publishers.

Seems strange they would put that out there like that though, usually its more like "internet required to access online features" as obvious as it.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: May 1, 2013, 03:59:16 pm »
What game mate, I can't get anything from google? Unless you are thinking of something like MAG or Warhawk which are online only games anyway?
No, I'm referring to games that require you to be connected to the internet to play single player feautures. Bionic Commando Rearmed is one such game. I think Capcom made a few more like it.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: May 1, 2013, 04:02:21 pm »
Seems strange they would put that out there like that though, usually its more like "internet required to access online features" as obvious as it.
Obviously MS hasn't said anything about it either way. I'm assuming so as many of the sites that believed it was always online have backtracked and VGleaks confidently said it won't be always online.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: May 1, 2013, 06:14:40 pm »
Why would a Sonic ITK know about the new MS console?  Though I suppose he could know that a new sonic game is being made for it?
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: May 1, 2013, 07:06:05 pm »
Why would a Sonic ITK know about the new MS console?  Though I suppose he could know that a new sonic game is being made for it?
He mentioned that the next Sonic(Sonic Excursion according to him) will release for PS3/4, Wii U, 3DS, 360 and Xbox Infinite.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: May 3, 2013, 01:58:37 pm »

Don't read too much into it(obviously).

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #226 on: May 3, 2013, 04:42:41 pm »
I said on AVF - if they released 8 ball pool for XBLA I would buy their new xbox, whatever it was or did ;D

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: May 3, 2013, 05:24:46 pm »
 We could have the whole RAWK gang over. ;D

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: May 3, 2013, 06:39:42 pm »
PGR5 looks likely to be shown at the Xbox event. Probably a launch title. Love PGR so I'm really happy with this.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: May 3, 2013, 09:58:05 pm »
PGR5 looks likely to be shown at the Xbox event. Probably a launch title. Love PGR so I'm really happy with this.
Who's developing it? Turn 10? Or a new studio built for the project, seeing as Bizarre are gone?

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: May 4, 2013, 04:31:30 am »
Who's developing it? Turn 10? Or a new studio built for the project, seeing as Bizarre are gone?
This fea has done a lot of research on it:
 Who could be helming the next PGR?
Microsoft has been hunting for a developer in Europe for the PGR series since 2010. So this has been in the planning for a while now. My guess would also be that Forza Horizon came out of that partner search.
The most solid report we have so far is that Lucid Games is making the next PGR. Source seems solid, because it also confirmed Evolution Studio’s DriveClub. Polygon’s Arthur Gies also gave a confirmation.
Lucid games posted a picture with on it “coming 2013” on their website. Their FAQ also gives a hint that they are working on an old Bizarre IP. Lucid folk also showed up in the PGR appreciation thread.
 Microsoft recently renewed the PGR trademark.
Lucid has about 20+ ex-Bizarre Creations employees and in total around 34 employees according to LinkedIn. Take into account that not all employees make or have LinkedIn accounts, so the number is probably higher. Still, it sounds low for a company that is going to make the next PGR.
Rare has been hiring a lot of racing developers, from designers to producers on franchises like DiRT and GRiD. Is Rare maybe doing a co-production with Lucid Games Ltd? Well, the idea would not be too farfetched seeing as Forza Horizon was a co-production between T10 and Playground Games.

The people over at Lucid Games Ltd.:
Art Manager: was lead 3D artist on PGR2 and 3. Joined Lucid in February 2012 after a stint at Criterion Games working as Contract 3D artist and World Builder on Need for Speed Most Wanted 2. (Source)
Audio Lead: was contract Audio Designer on Blood Stone. Joined Lucid in January 2012 after a three month contract on a Kinect title at Rare. (Source)
Character Animator: joined Lucid in October 2012 and notes he is working on a soon to be announced game. (Source)
Computer Games Artist: was Technical Artist on PGR3 and 4. He joined Lucid in February 2012. (Source)
Designer: was a Games Designer on Blood Stone and The Club. (Source)
Designer: was Level Designer on The Club and Blood Stone. He joined Lucid in October 2011 after a five month stint as Environment Artist Wipeout 2048 at SCEE. (Source)
Developer: notes on his linkedin on a Top Secret project. (Source)
Doing art: was Art Director on Blur and Lead Environment Artist, Lead Effects and Lighting Artist on PGR4. (Source)
Doing production: served as Senior Producer on Blur, Producer on PGR4 and Co-Producer on PGR3. (Source)
Game Developer: was Senior Designer on Sonic All Stars Racing: Transformed at Sumo Digital, Senior Designer on Blood Stone at Bizarre Creations and Lead Designer on the Wipeout franchise at Sony. (Source)
Lead artist: served as Art Manager on PGR2, 3, 4 and Blood Stone. He joined Lucid in February 2012 after a stint as Art Manager on Forza Horizon at Playground Games. (Source)
Programmer: was Gameplay Programmer for Blur. (Source)
Programmer: was Vehicle Programmer at Bizarre Creations and Programmer on Motorstorm: Pacific Rift at Sony. (Source)
Programmer: was Audio Programmer on PGR3 and 4. Joined Lucid in October of 2011 after a three month contract at Rare. (Source)
Programmer: was Gameplay Programmer on The Club. (Source)
Technical Artist: was a Technical Artist on PGR4. (Source)
The Co-Founder and Programmer: served as Lead Technical Programmer on Blur and as Programmer on PGR3 and 4. (Source)
The Co-Founder and Programmer: served as Lead Programmer on Blood Stone. (Source)
The Co-Founder: served as Studio Design Director on PGR 4. (Source)
The Co-founder: served as Producer on Blood Stone and The Club. (Source)
The Studio Head: served as Development Director and Producer for the Project Gotham Racing franchise over. (Source)
Recent hires at Rare Ltd.:
On October 2011 as Software Director. Previously at Codemasters working as Lead Programmer on titles like DiRT 3 and Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. (Source)
On November 2011 as Studio Audio Director. Previously at Ubisoft Reflections working on Driver: San Francisco. (Source)
On December 2011 as Technical Art Director. Previously at Codemasters working as Technical Art Supervisor on titles like GRID2, DiRT3, F1 Race Stars and more. (Source)
On June 2012 as Lead Artist. Previously at Codemasters working as Lead Artist on titles like DiRT3. (Source)
On October 2012 as Senior Producer. Previously at Codemasters working as Producer on titles like DiRT Showdown, DiRT 3 and more. (Source)
On November 2012 as Senior Game Designer. Previously at Codemasters working as Senior Game Designer on DiRT Showdown and DiRT 3. (Source)
On December 2012 as Principal Lighting Artist. Previously at Codemasters working as Environment Artist on titles like GRID2 and DiRT Showdown. (Source)
On December 2012 as Lead Character Artist. Previously at SCEE working on Evolution Studios' Motorstorm: Apocalypse and Studio Liverpool's WipeOut 2048. (Source)
On December 2012 as Principle environment artist. Previously Senior Lead Artist at Codemasters working on titles like GRID2 and F1 Race Stars. (Source)
On January 2013 as Principal Rendering Engineer. Previously at Codemasters working as Principal Rendering Programmer at Central Technology Group. (Source)
On January 2013 as Senior Rendering Engineer. Previously at Codemasters working as Senior Rendering Programmer. (Source)
On February 2013 as Audio Engineer. Previously at Codemasters working as Senior Programmer on GRID2 and DiRT Showdown. (Source)
On February 2013 as Principal Artist. Previously Character Artist at Playground Games, Codemasters and Slightly Mad Studios. (Source)

Other tidbits:
 Rare hired former Bizarre Creations the Video Editor and Cinematics Team Lead! (Thanks for the tip shaneus!) (Source)
 Rare asked a contract concept artist to make some interesting concepts. Gaffer confirmed that the project was cancelled.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=518712

The links are all in that thread. Biggest indicator was when that Lucid dev showed up in the PGR appreciation thread. Also a couple of days ago on their facebook page they've reuploaded their 'Road opens 2013' poster with a shot of London in the backfround. Right after that they teased a mid May reveal which fits with the new Xbox event.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: May 4, 2013, 07:44:25 pm »
Nice one MK. As long as they don't soil Bizarre's legacy. PGR2 and 4 are two of my favourite ever racing games.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: May 5, 2013, 03:34:15 am »
Yeah pity they got shut down. There's a video from the project they were working on when hey got shut down and it looked fantastic. I'll try to find it and post it later.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: May 5, 2013, 09:29:24 am »
Nice one MK. As long as they don't soil Bizarre's legacy. PGR2 and 4 are two of my favourite ever racing games.

Bizzare are working with evolution studio now on ps4's Drive Club.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: May 5, 2013, 09:35:07 am »
Bizzare are working with evolution studio now on ps4's Drive Club.
Ex employees of Bizarre right? Others have joined Playground and Lucid.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: May 5, 2013, 09:45:17 am »
Rare are probably co developing it. They've been hiring a lot of racing developers including ex-Bizarre devs.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: May 5, 2013, 09:56:02 am »
Here's what Bizarre were working on when they got shut down:

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: May 5, 2013, 09:59:27 am »
Ex employees of Bizarre right? Others have joined Playground and Lucid.

Bizzare's lead designer is working with Evolution Studio as well as studio Liverpool, I just know some of the pgr guys are involved in drive club (pgr devs, Motorstorm devs, wipeout devs, old f1 devs)

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #238 on: May 5, 2013, 10:26:43 pm »
Xbox Infinite? Bit of a shit name really, but if they have really got the first Respawn game as an exclusive, that could be the next big fps if it's as good as Call of Duty 4.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: May 6, 2013, 05:18:48 pm »
Always online finally squashed:

Should single-player games, Blu-ray playback, and live TV viewing be possible on a gaming console with no Internet connection? Most gamers would say "yes," but they have been worried that Microsoft feels differently; the next generation Xbox has been consistently rumored to require a permanent network connection.

It won't.

According to an internal Microsoft e-mail sent to all full-time employees working on the next Xbox, "Durango [the codename for the next Xbox] is designed to deliver the future of entertainment while engineered to be tolerant of today's Internet." It continues, "There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."

How far this offline support will extend still isn't clear. It could take the form of a fully offline mode akin to that on the Xbox 360 (insert optical disc, install game, play, all without an Internet connection) or it could be more like Steam (install and activate online but enable subsequent offline play once this has been done).

While one could argue that "installing a game" is one of the "scenarios" that gamers "expect to work" when offline, a more Steam-like approach would be consistent with rumors that the next Xbox will use its Internet connection to block installation of secondhand games.

Still, though the next Xbox won't make everybody happy, it looks like fears that the console will be useless when your broadband goes down have been overblown.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...ternet-doesnt/