Author Topic: Stevo7's Gävle Goat Watch, ft. 2023's Bird Watcher, Barneys Daughter  (Read 257189 times)

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Gavle Goat Watch
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2010, 12:10:03 am »
?
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2010, 12:16:13 am »
?

Seasons greetings, Its that time of year...........

You have probably never heard of the Gavle Goat but between now and new year I hope you will keep an eye on him and see that he comes to no harm

The Gävle Goat (known in Swedish as the Julbocken i Gävle or Gävlebocken) is a giant version of a traditional Swedish Yule Goat figure made of straw that is located at Slottstorget ("Castle Square") in central Gävle. It is erected each year by a local association called the Southern Merchants, and another version is erected by a group of students from the Natural Science Club of the School of Vasa. The Natural Science Club's goat holds the world record for the largest Yule Goat, but since 1994 the Southern Merchants' goats have been larger and had more publicity afforded them. Both goats have famously been the targets of frequent arson attacks and vandalism, so much so that over the years they have been guarded by the police, webcams, soldiers, volunteers and dogs; whilst the city officially discourages the attacks on the goats, those attacks have brought it recognition and tourism from around the world.

History of the Goat

History

In 1967 the goat was left unmolested.

In 1968 the goat was again left unmolested.

In 1969 the goat was burned on New Year's Eve.

In 1970 the first goat burned six hours after it was erected. Two heavily intoxicated youths were tied to the crime. With contributions from several donors, the goat was rebuilt, this time of reeds.

In 1971 the local merchants who had previously built the goat abandoned the project, tired of seeing it burn each year. The science association at the Vasaskolan upper secondary school took over. Their little goat was broken to pieces.

In 1972 the goat collapsed due to sabotage.

In 1973 the goat's fate is unknown.

In 1974 the goat burned down.

In 1975 the goat's fate is unknown.

In 1976 a car crashed into the goat.

In 1977 the goat's fate is unknown.

In 1978 the goat was broken to pieces again.

In 1979 the goat was burned before it was even put together. A new one was built and treated with fire-proofing, but was later sabotaged and broken to pieces.

In 1980 the goat burned down on Christmas Eve.

In 1981 the goat was spared.

In 1982 the goat burned down on St. Lucia Day, 13 December.

In 1983 the goat's legs were broken off.

In 1984 the goat burned down on St. Lucia Eve.

In 1985 the 12.5-metre high goat first made the Guinness Book of World Records. Burned down in January.

In 1986 the local merchants took over building the goat again. From this date on, two goats are built each year, one by the merchants and one by Vasaskolan. The big goat was burned down the night before Christmas Eve.

In 1987 the goat was carefully treated with fire-proofing. It still burned down the week before Christmas.

In 1988 the goat was spared. Its survival was now included on British betting lists.

In 1989 the goat burned down before it was even built. A public collection was taken up and a new goat was built, which burned down in January. In March 1990 another goat was built for the premiere of the film "Black Jack".

In 1990 the goat was spared. Many volunteers guarded it.

In 1991 the goat was accompanied by an advertising sleigh - which turned out to be an unauthorised construction. It burned on Christmas Eve morning. It was rebuilt to be sent to Stockholm in a campaign to stop the closing of the I 14 regiment.

In 1992 the goat burned after eight days. The Vasaskolan goat burned the same night. It was built again, but burned again on 20 December. The starter of all three fires was arrested.

In 1993 the Vasaskolan goat made the Guinness Book of World Records, measuring 16 metres high. It was spared this year.

In 1994 the goat was spared.

In 1995 the goat burned down on Christmas Day morning. It was rebuilt for the town's 550th anniversary.

In 1996 the goat survived. For the first time it was monitored by a web camera.

In 1997 the goat survived with minimal damage by fireworks.

In 1998 the goat burned on 11 December, despite a snowstorm. It was built again.

In 1999 the goat burned a few hours after being built. A new one was in place for St. Lucia Day.

In 2000 the goat burned a few days before New Year's. In 2001 the goat burned on 23 December. The starter of the fire, a 51-year-old man from USA, was arrested.

In 2002 the goat survived.

In 2003 the goat burned down two nights before St. Lucia Eve. A new goat was in place about a week later and it survived in one piece.

In 2004 the goat burned down on 21 December, three days before Christmas. The goat was not rebuilt.

In 2005 the goat burned down on 3 December. A new goat was in place on 8 december and managed to survive.

In 2006 the goat survived a pyromaniac attack on December 15th. It was minor burned on its right leg. After that the goat survived in one piece.

In 2007 The goat was impregnated with flame retardant chemicals and was not attacked by arsonists.

In 2008 was the goat not impregnated with flame retardant chemicals. The straw was delivered by Mackmyra Whiskey and the goat was burned down on 27 December.

http://www.merjuligavle.se/English/VISIT-GAVLE/THE-CHRISTMAS-GOAT/Web-cam/

http://www.merjuligavle.se/English/VISIT-GAVLE/THE-CHRISTMAS-GOAT/Web-cam-2/

Imagine my shock last year when I logged on and saw a black skeleton of the Goat! :'(

This thread is for people to report any suspicious activity or even better someone may actually be lucky enough to witness history in the making when the goat is either beaten to death or set on fire

:wave

last year he was burned alive, it will not happen again

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2010, 12:24:06 am »
why does it look like his heads on fire?
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2010, 12:33:52 am »
why does it look like his heads on fire?

its the lighting on the goat

he looks great

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2010, 02:24:54 am »
Looks more like a schnauzer than a goat.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline 70400

• Main Stander
  • Lux et Veritas
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2010, 03:02:44 am »
Absolutely mental
Signatures are the biggest waste of bandwith on the internet.  ;)

Offline hallli#9

• Anny Roader
  • Drainage, Eli, you boy.
« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2010, 06:03:28 am »
Haha, this is now a yearly thing for me and my friends.. we went mental last year after missing it burning down

Why are you so sure it won't be destroyed this year?
Gerraaaaaard... IT'SGONEIN

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2010, 06:54:12 am »
Looks more like a schnauzer than a goat.

Nah, more like an Airedale

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2010, 08:16:45 am »
Nah, more like an Airedale

Ah yes. My mistake.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2010, 09:08:12 am »
Haha, this is now a yearly thing for me and my friends.. we went mental last year after missing it burning down

Why are you so sure it won't be destroyed this year?

I can only hope for the best!

With our help, he will survive!

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2010, 10:25:16 am »
not sure why i always enjoy hearing about this goat, its a remarkable thing how it gets burned down :D
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Grobbelaar

• Anny Roader
  • Rafa is Boss
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2010, 10:25:22 am »
We need him to burn! Otherwise Father Xmas won't come!
It's like a signal fire when you're lost at sea!

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2010, 10:29:56 am »
not sure why i always enjoy hearing about this goat, its a remarkable thing how it gets burned down :D

seeing as they have webcams to keep an eye on it, people watching it all the time it always fucking burns!!

I like this one

In 1970 the first goat burned six hours after it was erected. Two heavily intoxicated youths were tied to the crime.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2010, 03:18:10 pm »
The Gavle goat has his own blog!!!

This was his entry for Sunday. Naturally he is a bit on the edgy side.

"If I´m lucky I get to see some Lucia processions tomorrow when it is the actual Lucia day. Come and sing for me tomorrow! But please, take a crown with electric candles, not real candle lights. Otherwise I´ll just get nervous.."

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2010, 04:38:37 pm »
The Gavle goat has his own blog!!!

This was his entry for Sunday. Naturally he is a bit on the edgy side.

"If I´m lucky I get to see some Lucia processions tomorrow when it is the actual Lucia day. Come and sing for me tomorrow! But please, take a crown with electric candles, not real candle lights. Otherwise I´ll just get nervous.."

The blog when it burned was rather sad! Think it was last year!
Can't wait to see this reduced to a smoking, spluttering shell again this year :lickin

;D

Bastard!!!!

Offline hallli#9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2010, 08:31:37 pm »
Night shift reporting in!

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2010, 09:35:29 pm »
The populace of Gävle sound like a right bunch of pyromaniacs.

"Over the last 300 years Gävle has been ablaze on three different occasions. After the fire of 1776 the town was rebuilt with straight streets and rectangular city blocks. The number of stone and brick houses also started to increase. The biggest town fire occurred 1869, when out of a population of around 10,000 approximately 8,000 inhabitants lost their homes, and about 350 farms were destroyed. Almost the whole town north of Gavleån was burnt down."wiki

Sounds like something out of Terry Pratchett.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2010, 09:45:34 pm »
Night shift reporting in!

good man, nothing to report, just be warned that web cam 2 is down!

The populace of Gävle sound like a right bunch of pyromaniacs.

we wouldnt be here if they werent!

Offline mbroon

• would like a clean space - hasn't got one
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2010, 10:48:52 pm »
I think guards have been hired this year, so your beloved goat is most likely safe djphal.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2010, 12:49:20 am »
t be warned that
we wouldnt be here if they werent!

Hah hah, very true!

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2010, 03:08:34 am »
I think guards have been hired this year, so your beloved goat is most likely safe djphal.

It's never safe, I'm clocking off, The goat is alive and well

Offline hallli#9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2010, 04:00:16 am »
0400 hours status report

nothing new, said goat is still unfazed about the horrible possibility of being burned to the ground

he looks great with that coat of snow on him right now.. web cam 2 is also back up for added viewing pleasure

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2010, 10:07:48 am »
Is the Goat Cam accessible by Iphone4 or is there any 'Goat app' available?

Got Christmas Parties all weekend but don't think i could enjoy them properly withough checking in on the GG every hour or so.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2010, 11:28:11 am »
Good work people! Glad webcam 2 is back, nice to see his other side!

You can view the webcam on the iPhone, I've got it as a favourite!

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2010, 12:04:58 pm »
Wow - WebCam 2 is epic. Can't believe i haven't been on that one yet.  Shows a whole different side (literally) to our freind.

I also believe that Webcam 2 is a favourite for spotting potential goat burners. That expanse of lawn and bushes off to the left looks an ideal approach/escape route for Wannabe Goat arsonists.

Hopefully they will install more amd more cams and negate any other blind spots that could prove harmful to the GG.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2010, 12:15:43 pm »
I tell you what, our Gavel Goat is a gutsy fella too. According to his blog he has had strong words with his IT dept about Webcam 2 issues.

"Apparently it doesn´t update correctly so I´ve told my colleagues at IT-department to solve the problems."

No maintanance ticket raised, no freindly email or phone call to the helpdesk.  He has TOLD the IT dept to sort it out.

I'm impressed.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2010, 03:48:19 pm »
Wow - WebCam 2 is epic. Can't believe i haven't been on that one yet.  Shows a whole different side (literally) to our freind.

I also believe that Webcam 2 is a favourite for spotting potential goat burners. That expanse of lawn and bushes off to the left looks an ideal approach/escape route for Wannabe Goat arsonists.

Hopefully they will install more amd more cams and negate any other blind spots that could prove harmful to the GG.

You are just what we need around here

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2010, 10:45:09 pm »
its 22:44 all is well in Gavle

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2010, 12:33:57 am »
Goat is fine

Offline Ecuared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2010, 01:05:19 am »
It looks stunning this year with the snow on it.

Still hope it's burned to the ground and all.
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline Grobbelaar

• Anny Roader
  • Rafa is Boss
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2010, 01:12:38 am »
Gävlebocken skulle kidnappas

Två män erbjöd vakten 50 000 kronor för att lämna Gävles stolthet en stund. Deras plan var att kidnappa bocken med hjälp av helikopter och föra den till Stureplan i Stockholm. Det är en av många bockincidenter i år. (TT)
17 dec kl 02:08   Stäng

Breaking news!

Two men tried to pay one of the security guards £4500 to leave the goat unattended so they could go on and kidnap the goat.

Offline mbroon

• would like a clean space - hasn't got one
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2010, 01:32:09 am »
Vad var det för ena jävla tomtar då? 50 tusen spänn för att ta den, med helikopter, till Stureplan? Mest troligt är väl att det var ett skämt, men man vet aldrig, det finns folk med för mycket pengar och för lite vett.

Offline Callaghan.

• Enjoys a roasted nut (preferably the 'TonyTheRedNosedReindeer' variety)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2010, 05:35:41 am »
Vad var det för ena jävla tomtar då? 50 tusen spänn för att ta den, med helikopter, till Stureplan? Mest troligt är väl att det var ett skämt, men man vet aldrig, det finns folk med för mycket pengar och för lite vett.

Crikey! So Aldo's been spotted with lighter fluid, wearing a balaclava?

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2010, 11:54:26 am »

The grassy knoll?

Zippo time!!! ;D
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2010, 12:00:51 pm »
Breaking news!

Two men tried to pay one of the security guards £4500 to leave the goat unattended so they could go on and kidnap the goat.

:shocked

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2010, 05:10:01 pm »
From the Big Guy's Blog regarding the Kidnap Plot.

" I´m still here in Gävle at Castle Square but I´ve kept an eye out for mysterious helicopters and other suspicious phenomena."

He won't go down without a fight I tell you.

Offline hallli#9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2010, 08:48:12 pm »
Still standing strong, though it seems that they've taken 2nd webcam down

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2010, 01:27:02 am »
Just checked on the big Fella before i go to bed - all appears well.  :wave

Looking forward to his blog again tomorrow.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2010, 02:02:05 am »
2am check

Still strong

goodnight goat, see you in the morning

Offline payback

• is full of shit, shit and more shit, oh and chillies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2010, 02:23:19 pm »
still there....