Author Topic: Golf - how bad are you?  (Read 288112 times)

Offline adamc_5*

• Kopite
Re: Golf - how bad are you?
« Reply #200 on: April 24, 2009, 09:38:04 pm »
Used to play Duxbury quite a bit, its a great course and used to be one of the best munis in the country. Southport muni is a great course too especially if you like links golf.

Yea my dad recommended duxbury and i was really impressed with it, nackered goin up those massive hills tho!

Southport munis my local and play there quite a lot, just trying to branch out and find some more nice courses that are around the north-west and good value.
To the 96 that passed away at Hillsborough on that fatefull day. Now looking down with smiles so proud, you sing with us as we sing aloud. You held us, guide us, get us through, I know Istanbul was down to you. And though the future is unknown, one things for sure... You'll Never Walk Alone.

Offline adamc_5*

• Kopite
« Reply #201 on: April 24, 2009, 09:46:10 pm »
I used to play Southport Municipal  a hell of a lot as a kid. Even got out of school for double games last day of the lesson to play with a mate, we had to hand our scorecards in to show we'd been. We always went for a pint of guinness and a sausage toastie half way round

Best score on there was 78, about +8 at 15. But I haven't played seriously for about 20 years.

The "Muni" used to have a run of pretty long par 4's on the back 9 right by the coastal road, so if it got windy the ball blew all over the place.

Fairways are pretty wide. Used to get waterlogged in winter but I believe it's a lot better now.

If you want to try some windy links golf I reckon it's worth a go.

Some bloke mentions playing it on his blog

http://www.golfwithdes.co.uk/?p=271

Nice one for that mate! being from southport i know all about the 'muni'!

It still gets pretty bad in winter with the issue of water-logging but theyve added a couple of small lakes and rivers through the course so it has improved massively from when i started playing it about 7/8 years ago.

A few of my mates at school used to get out of P.E as they took golf for one of there choices at GCSE P.E and played on the nearby Hesketh Golf Club...i was always envious of them!
To the 96 that passed away at Hillsborough on that fatefull day. Now looking down with smiles so proud, you sing with us as we sing aloud. You held us, guide us, get us through, I know Istanbul was down to you. And though the future is unknown, one things for sure... You'll Never Walk Alone.

Offline shippers

• The Fat Banana AKA Bicycyle Man!
  • Kopite
« Reply #202 on: April 24, 2009, 10:34:17 pm »

It still gets pretty bad in winter with the issue of water-logging but theyve added a couple of small lakes and rivers through the course so it has improved massively from when i started playing it about 7/8 years ago.

A few of my mates at school used to get out of P.E as they took golf for one of there choices at GCSE P.E and played on the nearby Hesketh Golf Club...i was always envious

A few of my mates at school used to get out of P.E as they took golf for one of there choices at GCSE P.E and played on the nearby Hesketh Golf Club...i was always envious of them!

Mum and Dad used to own the Golf Links Hotel opposite the eighteenth, so I was always able to practise down the 10th and 18th of an evening without paying, and get some putting practise in late at night. Borrowed me dad's clubs at the time, as he was an ex member of West Derby. From a very young age used to mess about with clubs and always played on the pitch and putt up in Bowness-on-Windermere (the 100 yard 18th up there over a "valley" seemed massive when I was 8 :-)

Offline alpha2omega

• Main Stander
  • some said GOD but we said Shankly
« Reply #203 on: April 24, 2009, 11:26:43 pm »
Been playing 30 years and this year have finally reached single figure club handicap (8.7) all down to GOD... Stan Utley - the art of the short game and the art of putting (books)...practice what he preaches!!!

well, him and my FT5 driver and R7 irons

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #204 on: April 24, 2009, 11:35:25 pm »
Been playing 30 years and this year have finally reached single figure club handicap (8.7) all down to GOD... Stan Utley - the art of the short game and the art of putting (books)...practice what he preaches!!!

well, him and my FT5 driver and R7 irons
those clubs help alright..
i was saying earlier on there, that i borrowed my mates driver, and im pinging it straight down the middle.
it really gives a lot of confidence on each hole to get a par or better, a good start breeds confidence for the remainder..

Id love to try that FT5 driver, dont have an opportunity tho...

furthermore, i seen an article recently from america, the average handicap of a regular player has dropped from 14 to 12 in the past 5-10 years due to the new equipment mostly.. sure makes a difference, and i hope to follow you with the single figures shortly... need to join a club etc first tho :P

Offline alpha2omega

• Main Stander
« Reply #205 on: April 24, 2009, 11:43:26 pm »
those clubs help alright..
i was saying earlier on there, that i borrowed my mates driver, and im pinging it straight down the middle.
it really gives a lot of confidence on each hole to get a par or better, a good start breeds confidence for the remainder..

Id love to try that FT5 driver, dont have an opportunity tho...

furthermore, i seen an article recently from america, the average handicap of a regular player has dropped from 14 to 12 in the past 5-10 years due to the new equipment mostly.. sure makes a difference, and i hope to follow you with the single figures shortly... need to join a club etc first tho :P

Without a doubt the modern clubs make a big difference....and especially the modern ball........

but put those books on your family wish list for birthdays/xmas etc and I promise you........follow what he says and you'll improve beyond all recognition with your short game....

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #206 on: April 24, 2009, 11:52:25 pm »
Without a doubt the modern clubs make a big difference....and especially the modern ball........

but put those books on your family wish list for birthdays/xmas etc and I promise you........follow what he says and you'll improve beyond all recognition with your short game....
i might have a look at the alright, thanks for the tip..

i have a few clips and shows downloading to help with short and long game..
to be honest, my short game is good, im quite a big hitter, but im improving accuracy at the moment, and im confident ill have that sorted soon enough... its the irons where i am inconsistant and need improvement, although im starting to hit them a bit better recently, maybe some club fitting of the irons might help ..

Offline alpha2omega

• Main Stander
« Reply #207 on: April 25, 2009, 12:06:35 am »
club fitting definitely......especially irons and wedges ......and competitive golf.

join a club if you can..... at the moment a lot of clubs are desperate for new members so theres some good membership deals...... good luck.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #208 on: April 25, 2009, 12:11:08 am »
club fitting definitely......especially irons and wedges ......and competitive golf.

join a club if you can..... at the moment a lot of clubs are desperate for new members so theres some good membership deals...... good luck.
ill be club fitting maybe this week coming (all irons)

and im not joining a club yet, need to pay off a few grand before i can afford to join... but i will join distance for cheap to hand in 3 score cards :D there is one down the road from me for 350€ ish...

Offline irishred1991

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96, YNWA
« Reply #209 on: April 25, 2009, 12:25:00 am »
shite  :)
Liverpool is our religion,
Anfield is our church,
The Kop is our choir,
Fowler is our God.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #210 on: April 25, 2009, 12:34:59 am »
shite  :)
thats a bit harsh, your at most a skitter :P

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #211 on: April 25, 2009, 01:05:01 am »
Drive for show, putt for dough.  ;)

There are fellas I know who can hit a massive drive, and on some holes it takes me two hits to get to their drive.

I've never been a big hitter since I dislocated my shoulder years ago. But I always hit straight, and my short game is bang on.

I love to watch their reactions when they hit a ball further than I can go for my holidays, then I hit mine (average about 180 to 200 yards) and they look at me as if to say...Is that it?

We then get in and around the green and I up and down quite comfortably, where as they either overshoot the green with their second shot or just generally fuck up.  ;D

My short game is deadly. But I'd love to be able to smash a ball for miles off the tee.

Offline sarch

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #212 on: April 25, 2009, 01:11:40 am »
"how bad are you?" - not sure, i play for fun not for score ;)

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #213 on: April 25, 2009, 01:17:12 am »
your quite correct Terry.. i need to improve my mid game, its simply inconsistant...
also my home course didnt require me to hit mid to long irons much.. so they are defo my weak point..

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: April 25, 2009, 01:40:29 am »
your quite correct Terry.. i need to improve my mid game, its simply inconsistant...
also my home course didnt require me to hit mid to long irons much.. so they are defo my weak point..
I forgot to say, I don't use a driver.. Haven't for years.

I then started using a 3 wood, but didn't get much joy out of that. Went on to using 3 and 4 irons, and eventually settled with a 5 wood which I'm comfortable with hitting from the tee and on the deck.

Pitching-wise, I tend to to chip and run (if it's dry) with an 8 iron. If not I'll use a pitching wedge or a nine iron to get it high up around the greens.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #215 on: April 25, 2009, 08:26:34 am »
I've been playing for about 25 years, started at the Kirkby municipal and Bootle then moved on to proper courses like Arrowe Park. Anyway been living in London for some time now and been playing some cracking courses in Surrey.

An average score for me would be in the mid nineties. I don't have an official handicap as I play mostly with my mates, though if I go out with a society I play off about 22.

So this week I've had a weeks holiday and went out Monday and Friday to Richmond. I shot 117 and 114. How embarrassing is that. And the strange thing is I was driving really well off the tee, before coming apart at the seems approaching the green. When I came off yesterday I really could not give a fuck if I'd never play golf again. That's how it can get to you.

Suspect I will though. It's quite addictive. No !

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #216 on: April 25, 2009, 09:12:01 am »
I moved courses last month & played in my 1st medal at the new course last weekend.  Started with an 8 (on a Par 4), treble bogeyed the 10th from the middle of the fairway & followed that up with a double bogey on 11.  However, shot several pars & 3 birdies & even lipped out for an eagle on the last.  Shot 4 under my handicap & expect a cut of 1.5 when I turn up at the club tomorrow (SSI was 72 & I shot 67).  I came 2nd on countback, so the guy who won it must've had a deadly last few holes because I was +1 on the last 4!!

I can honestly say i'm playing better now than i ever have before thanks to the lessons I had to get rid of my slice.  I actually know where the balls going to go now, and my short game has always been deadly!

Like Terry, my playing partners can all out drive me........but the moneys won on the greens, not the tee!!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 09:21:32 am by Hoppy »
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #217 on: April 25, 2009, 10:28:11 am »
To score low you need all aspects of your game working, but if I was to pick on one element to work on above all, it's accuracy with your irons.

If you can keep it in play off the tee, then hit a high percentage of greens, you're well on the way to having a good round.

Key to being accurate with your irons, other than having a repeatable swing, is swinging at less than full.....it's much better to take a 3/4 swing (in terms of length), use 1 club more, and stay in control.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #218 on: April 25, 2009, 01:34:07 pm »
To score low you need all aspects of your game working, but if I was to pick on one element to work on above all, it's accuracy with your irons.

If you can keep it in play off the tee, then hit a high percentage of greens, you're well on the way to having a good round.

Key to being accurate with your irons, other than having a repeatable swing, is swinging at less than full.....it's much better to take a 3/4 swing (in terms of length), use 1 club more, and stay in control.
good idea, my iron play is relatively strong from 7up, and good at best below that, getting worse the lower i go.. :P
but hitting the greens with the 2nd shot no matter where u are, is better than hitting the fairway from the tee.. id take both tho :D

I then started using a 3 wood, but didn't get much joy out of that. Went on to using 3 and 4 irons, and eventually settled with a 5 wood which I'm comfortable with hitting from the tee and on the deck.

Pitching-wise, I tend to to chip and run (if it's dry) with an 8 iron. If not I'll use a pitching wedge or a nine iron to get it high up around the greens.

fair play if you can get around without a driver and 3w..
i used a 3w for years, bought the pd6 and was slicing it or hitting it straight, couldnt control it really,
then swooped like i said with my mate, and i can ping that down the middle every time..
it might just be a great improvement for your game though to get those extra few yards off the tee, so you can hit a more accurate 8i up than a 5i 2nd shot .. if i were you, id borrow your mates drivers/3w's every now and again and see if u feel comfortable with them...
taylor made make some nice ones :D (the rest of my set is wilson)

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #219 on: April 25, 2009, 02:53:50 pm »

Obviously you're sacrificing a lot of distance by leaving the driver in the bag (or at home). With the size of the new drivers the ball really flies off the club face as I'm sure you know. I'll buy you a new one if I get a tickle on the $53 million Powerball Lottery tonight over here.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #220 on: April 25, 2009, 03:41:09 pm »
Obviously you're sacrificing a lot of distance by leaving the driver in the bag (or at home). With the size of the new drivers the ball really flies off the club face as I'm sure you know. I'll buy you a new one if I get a tickle on the $53 million Powerball Lottery tonight over here.
ill add my name to the list for a new free driver...
good look in the lottery, what numbers are u choosin btw? :P

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: April 25, 2009, 04:18:19 pm »
I've never been a big hitter anyway. I can hit between 180 and 200 yards with my 5 wood, which I usually hit quite straight, so I'm quite happy with that.

Offline kev_goss

• Lost: Remote control puppy. Please help reunite a tearful child with his pride and joy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Goodnight sweet girl gonna miss you
« Reply #222 on: April 25, 2009, 05:50:42 pm »
I went for a game yesterday for the first time in 2 years, not a bad little 9 holes but i should have read up about the course before i went, found out the hard way didnt I.

Here is what i should have looked up..Peewit Golf Course, Ilkeston - A 9 hole course with some very adept ball pinching kids hiding in the hollows at peak times.
It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.
Dalai Lama

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #223 on: April 25, 2009, 08:19:53 pm »
Mum and Dad used to own the Golf Links Hotel opposite the eighteenth, so I was always able to practise down the 10th and 18th of an evening without paying, and get some putting practise in late at night. Borrowed me dad's clubs at the time, as he was an ex member of West Derby. From a very young age used to mess about with clubs and always played on the pitch and putt up in Bowness-on-Windermere (the 100 yard 18th up there over a "valley" seemed massive when I was 8 :-)

Used to get a pint in there occasionally after a game whilst waiting for the missus to pick me up. Eagled the 18th once.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline shippers

• Kopite
« Reply #224 on: April 25, 2009, 08:25:27 pm »
Used to get a pint in there occasionally after a game whilst waiting for the missus to pick me up. Eagled the 18th once.
Left the place a good twenty years ago. I think it's been through a couple of changes of ownership since then. Pub/Hotel ownership isn't the easiest thing. I think me dad would have been better sticking to the newsagents in bootle he had (though he got sick of getting broken into, which is why he got into the pub/hotel game). Didn't end well.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #225 on: April 25, 2009, 08:40:29 pm »
anyone know a good place online to buy a lot of titleist pro v1 balls ?
also, what would the srixon equivalent of the pro v1 be?

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #226 on: April 25, 2009, 08:41:54 pm »
Left the place a good twenty years ago. I think it's been through a couple of changes of ownership since then. Pub/Hotel ownership isn't the easiest thing. I think me dad would have been better sticking to the newsagents in bootle he had (though he got sick of getting broken into, which is why he got into the pub/hotel game). Didn't end well.

As was in there after golf as long ago as the late 80's. Shame it didn't work out for yer dad.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline shippers

• Kopite
« Reply #227 on: April 26, 2009, 12:19:28 am »
As was in there after golf as long ago as the late 80's. Shame it didn't work out for yer dad.
Well it killed him, so you could say it didn't work out. Stupid bugger. Mum and Dad really weren't cut out for the publican trade though. Not sociable enough.

Anyway..... fucking cheating bastards today.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #228 on: April 26, 2009, 11:56:02 pm »

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #229 on: April 26, 2009, 11:56:42 pm »
actually, does anyone know how much it is on average to bring golf clubs on a plane for a holiday??

Offline shippers

• Kopite
« Reply #230 on: April 27, 2009, 12:37:37 am »
holy furballs...

http://www.capekidnappers.com/media/media.html

Surely that's some EA Sports Tiger Woods Fantasy Course? I used to play with some tight sods who would spend ages looking for their tees. I reckon they'd climb down those cliffs if they sliced it.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #231 on: April 27, 2009, 12:40:53 am »
Surely that's some EA Sports Tiger Woods Fantasy Course? I used to play with some tight sods who would spend ages looking for their tees. I reckon they'd climb down those cliffs if they sliced it.
lol... thats in new zealand !! :D check out the website...

ive a tonne of tee's in my bag, but never any short ones when i need em :P

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: April 27, 2009, 01:06:27 am »
actually, does anyone know how much it is on average to bring golf clubs on a plane for a holiday??
I often have to work abroad. So when I'm booking my flights I have to check in with my main luggage bag, and because I take a couple of guitars (one semi acoustic, one electric - in cases), what I tend to do is weigh them and when I'm booking the flights, take that into consideration, and confirm that to which ever company I choose to fly with. Pay the excess on-line and usually don't have a problem doing that.

It's all down to weight. So just pack the clubs that you're going to use and whatever else you need.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 01:23:23 am by Terry De Niro »

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #233 on: April 27, 2009, 11:04:30 am »
I often have to work abroad. So when I'm booking my flights I have to check in with my main luggage bag, and because I take a couple of guitars (one semi acoustic, one electric - in cases), what I tend to do is weigh them and when I'm booking the flights, take that into consideration, and confirm that to which ever company I choose to fly with. Pay the excess on-line and usually don't have a problem doing that.

It's all down to weight. So just pack the clubs that you're going to use and whatever else you need.
sound :D

lucky i bought a light bag :D

Offline Lionel Rich Tea

• Anny Roader
« Reply #234 on: April 27, 2009, 11:10:25 am »
anyone know a good place online to buy a lot of titleist pro v1 balls ?
also, what would the srixon equivalent of the pro v1 be?

I bought 3 the other day for my mates 40th Birthday, £10.99! I couldn't believe it!

Incidently, slightly out of kilta but someone told me the other day they bought some used Pings and rang Ping up to get them reshafted and regripped. He took them to the local range and there was no charge, something to do with a lifetime guarantee. This can't be right can it? Unless there is more to it than what he is telling me? If that is the case then it has to be Pings everytime and that could mean bye bye to my Callaways!

Offline myrlas