Author Topic: Golf - how bad are you?  (Read 286761 times)

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Golf - how bad are you?
« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2009, 04:03:58 pm »
I am not as good as Kim Jong-Il.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2009, 04:39:42 pm »
am good at the middle, shite at teeing off and shite at putting. Middle game is excellent though. That's what you get for playing golf five hours a day on council fields when you're growing up I guess.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #162 on: February 25, 2009, 04:40:03 pm »
I've only ever played two full rounds. First one, I decapitated a wood. Second one, I ended up having sex on the 9th.
Don't know if that makes you better than me or what.

I would probably stop playing golf right now.

No matter how many years you play, under normal circumstances you are unlikely to have sex on a golf course again.

I don't remember seeing Tiger Woods getting some half way round St. Andrews

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2009, 04:40:57 pm »
am good at the middle, shite at teeing off and shite at putting. Middle game is excellent though. That's what you get for playing golf five hours a day on council fields when you're growing up I guess.

thats exactly why I used an iron off the tees for years

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: February 25, 2009, 04:49:04 pm »
I'm the worst you'll ever see.

Offline Crouchy

• Legacy Fan
  • Vamos!
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2009, 04:54:10 pm »
Takes me about 5 swings to actually hit the ball itself.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2009, 05:23:15 pm »
Takes me about 5 swings to actually hit the ball itself.

Ha.. likewise.

Offline A Day 2 Remember

• Legacy Fan
  • At The End Of The Storm - Are we there yet??
« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2009, 05:38:07 pm »
Like most people who play 15 -20 times a year i struggle to put 4-5 good shots together thus i usually end up being 1 or 2 over par on most holes. I find the shots i mis these days usually leave me with too much to do to get par or birdie.
Hitting out of the rough or chipping over a bunker or leaving a 25 foot put within easy putting distance is difficult when you do not play or practice enough.
5th times a charm

I want to read about a Welshman reclaiming our Kop and over engineering songs we have nicked. Priorities guys

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2009, 05:52:13 pm »
Like most people who play 15 -20 times a year i struggle to put 4-5 good shots together thus i usually end up being 1 or 2 over par on most holes. I find the shots i mis these days usually leave me with too much to do to get par or birdie.
Hitting out of the rough or chipping over a bunker or leaving a 25 foot put within easy putting distance is difficult when you do not play or practice enough.
u just need to get to a practice range or an open field and hit a few hundred balls every few weeks, practice certain types of clubs like irons one week and correct what you are doing wrong, then do the woods etc.... u might imrpove a decent chunk that way :D

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2009, 04:26:01 am »
anyone know some decent pitch n putss about dublin>?
whats the name of that one up on the hill in kilternan, right next to the old zinc mine/tower?

might head out for a bit of a lash on saturday

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #170 on: February 27, 2009, 09:11:48 pm »
played Leopardstown (south dublin) today, was the first game i have played for a few years ( i had a quick front 9 in bray tho last summer), and surprisingly went around at only 10 over ( i did play to 10/11 about a decade ago, but havent really played since), nearly got 2 hole in ones (one was a par 4), its a short course, so anyone wanting to get back into the game or play somewhere cheap n chearful (€20) then u should give it a go :D

Offline Fulla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: February 27, 2009, 09:13:50 pm »
I once hit a bogey on a par 4. That's probably the best hole I've ever played.
"You don't play chess with Kasparov" - Juande Ramos, 25 Feb 2009

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 27, 2009, 10:50:37 pm »
Im worse than all of yers, cant even hit the fuckin ball. My swing is like im swingin a cricket bat, ive just fucked it off.

Would love to be able to play though.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #173 on: March 5, 2009, 10:23:47 pm »
played my second comeback game today, was rubbish... apart from my new lob wedge, its ace... cost me a a whopping 20quid too :P   was in woodbrook, dublin....  found a driving range in greystones to actually practice my swing and get it back together

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #174 on: March 5, 2009, 10:32:35 pm »
Im good at Wii golf, shite at the real thing however
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #175 on: March 5, 2009, 10:33:49 pm »
Im good at Wii golf, shite at the real thing however
ahh... im good on the xbox, drastically tryin to get good again at the real thing, but its a work in progress...

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2009, 06:36:23 pm »
today i played in the pissin rain (in bray, wicklow).. barely was able to take the umberella down,
only played 9 holes as my brother was in a rush .. but it was all a part of my continuing to get my golf game back (i stopped playing pretty much for a decade.. I was using a borrowed driver too, my mates on (taylor made r7 draw)...

wel, i bombed most down the middle, and shot 5 over... (i play off 11)...
am quite chuffed, bit of confidence in my swing again :D

now all my gear is soakin wet and drippin off on my balcony!
have to sort that lot out later :P

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2009, 06:39:12 pm »
actually, i think i play off 10... not sure, cant remember.. thats how long its been..

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: April 24, 2009, 06:54:31 pm »
The crazy thing is I work for a golf company but have played maybe 3 rounds in the last 18 months. Just not bothered although got dragged out a month ago to one of those par 3 / short par 4 courses and the bug was starting to bite. It is always the same as a round after a few months lay off usually ends up with some decent shots but play too often and you just get annoyed with your inadequacies on the course. The golf course will humble CEOs never mind moi.

Decent enough to where I wont embarrass myself. Bogey golf is my goal, have a couple sub 80 rounds in my bag so who knows what my handicap is at the moment. My swing?

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #179 on: April 24, 2009, 07:03:52 pm »
I'm going to have to get a few rounds in before I go to Portugal, then hopefully have a few good days out over there.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #180 on: April 24, 2009, 07:09:12 pm »
The crazy thing is I work for a golf company but have played maybe 3 rounds in the last 18 months. Just not bothered although got dragged out a month ago to one of those par 3 / short par 4 courses and the bug was starting to bite. It is always the same as a round after a few months lay off usually ends up with some decent shots but play too often and you just get annoyed with your inadequacies on the course. The golf course will humble CEOs never mind moi.

Decent enough to where I wont embarrass myself. Bogey golf is my goal, have a couple sub 80 rounds in my bag so who knows what my handicap is at the moment. My swing?

sometimes your mind is not bothered by it, hence my decade away (i was also living in the centre of a city, and no easy access to play, college life etc etc).. but i didnt want to play until i drove past a course every day, it chipped on my mind.. then i went nuts. bought 5 clubs (and i did need them), a new bag, some tshirts... had to start off with everything again really... getting back into it. :D

I'm going to have to get a few rounds in before I go to Portugal, then hopefully have a few good days out over there.
id love to go on a golfing holiday, not sure how much it is to pack a bag in on the plane trip tho..

Offline Ecuared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: April 24, 2009, 07:10:34 pm »
Just bought myself a new driver. Taylor Made r7 Max, that was a demo at the golf shop, although it looks like it's only been hit a handful of times. Got it for $100 Canadian. Took it out to the range yesterday and I was pinging a good percentage of my shots straight-ish and about 240 yards, which represents a big improvement from my last driver which I never felt comfortable with (I actually used an old Persimmons for the end of the season last year).

I'm playing a round this Sunday and I would like to score under 90, which would be a realistic goal to aim for at this point in the season.
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #182 on: April 24, 2009, 07:13:57 pm »
Just bought myself a new driver. Taylor Made r7 Max, that was a demo at the golf shop, although it looks like it's only been hit a handful of times. Got it for $100 Canadian. Took it out to the range yesterday and I was pinging a good percentage of my shots straight-ish and about 240 yards, which represents a big improvement from my last driver which I never felt comfortable with (I actually used an old Persimmons for the end of the season last year).

I'm playing a round this Sunday and I would like to score under 90, which would be a realistic goal to aim for at this point in the season.
i was using the R7 Draw (not sure of what exact model it is), it is a very consistant club, it consistantly launches the ball high and straight :D
i like it, my mate is thinking of getting the R9, if he does, ill nab this one of him :D

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #183 on: April 24, 2009, 07:15:32 pm »

id love to go on a golfing holiday, not sure how much it is to pack a bag in on the plane trip tho..

I'm going there to work mate, and if you're there for a while you can get a good deal on hiring clubs.
I'm not sure how much it costs to fly your clubs over, but I've seen a good few angry people who have had their clubs wrecked by baggage handlers, etc..

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2009, 07:16:50 pm »
I'm absolutely shit at golf but I want to be good at it.

I went to pitch and putt with a couple of mates on Wednesday and I just don't think I'll ever be able to play a proper round of golf, I'll need to take a tent and sleeping bag with me.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #185 on: April 24, 2009, 07:17:07 pm »
I'm going there to work mate, and if you're there for a while you can get a good deal on hiring clubs.
I'm not sure how much it costs to fly your clubs over, but I've seen a good few angry people who have had their clubs wrecked by baggage handlers, etc..
i would be buying a big bag to enclose my bag into if im bringing them :D

im hoping to get to many euro aways next season, go a day earlier and cart the clubs with me :D
hope a few might be on for it too from Rawk :D

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2009, 07:18:53 pm »
I'm absolutely shit at golf but I want to be good at it.

I went to pitch and putt with a couple of mates on Wednesday and I just don't think I'll ever be able to play a proper round of golf, I'll need to take a tent and sleeping bag with me.
my mate started playing when he was 18/20... he lives in my home town, and plays once a week / month mostly, every year i play against him and he is much much much better than the previous year... its not bad to get playing and bashin it about, watch a few vids to pick up on technique, listen to people that know how to play and can help u, and get a few pro lessons to keep u on the right track ... u will enjoy it more and more..

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2009, 07:27:17 pm »
my mate started playing when he was 18/20... he lives in my home town, and plays once a week / month mostly, every year i play against him and he is much much much better than the previous year... its not bad to get playing and bashin it about, watch a few vids to pick up on technique, listen to people that know how to play and can help u, and get a few pro lessons to keep u on the right track ... u will enjoy it more and more..

Thanks mate, I will do. My brother is pretty good so I might try and get a few tips off him. I saw some adverts for lessons in the shop the other day whilst I was there so I may have a look at doing some when I have a bit more confidence in what I'm actually doing.

Thanks again.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2009, 07:31:03 pm »
Thanks mate, I will do. My brother is pretty good so I might try and get a few tips off him. I saw some adverts for lessons in the shop the other day whilst I was there so I may have a look at doing some when I have a bit more confidence in what I'm actually doing.

Thanks again.
ye your bro should have u generally in the right direction, keepin the arms relatively straight, head relatively down, a sound swing etc etc.. golf clubs often have group lessons with a pro,  might be cheaper and might be weekly or monthly, gives u time to practice what you were thought :D

even still, just watch some golf on tele, can see how they swing... and remember, the slower you swing quite often produces the bigger hit

Offline adamc_5*

• Kopite
« Reply #189 on: April 24, 2009, 07:35:55 pm »
Does anyone recommend a decent course around the merseyside/lancashire area which is good value for money and somewhere where an average player like me (without a handicap) can play?

Played Walton Hall in Warrington and Duxbury Park near Chorley last week. Both were around 15 quid a round but wouldnt mind finding some alternatives.

:wave
To the 96 that passed away at Hillsborough on that fatefull day. Now looking down with smiles so proud, you sing with us as we sing aloud. You held us, guide us, get us through, I know Istanbul was down to you. And though the future is unknown, one things for sure... You'll Never Walk Alone.

Offline myrlas