Author Topic: Golf - how bad are you?  (Read 288148 times)

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Golf - how bad are you?
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2008, 08:14:36 pm »
Just gotten back, and have noted a distinct improvement with my 9 iron - getting around 100-150 yards regularly, and fairly straight a lot of the time too. May not sound good, but it is for me! ;D

Only downside is a blister on my hand, sore arm and a fucked shoulder :D
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #121 on: June 24, 2008, 10:05:58 pm »
Could all the golf show offs get their own thread please - this one is meant to be for the shit golfers, not a sucession of -1 handicappers talking about paying £1000 to play the best courses in the world

;)
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline wickolfc

• Seriously Thick Feedback Tourist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "He's big an he's fuckin' ard"
« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2008, 10:11:55 pm »
Could all the golf show offs get their own thread please - this one is meant to be for the shit golfers, not a sucession of -1 handicappers talking about paying £1000 to play the best courses in the world

;)
Sorry Nidge, i'l leave now.

;)

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #123 on: June 24, 2008, 10:19:19 pm »

;)

this should be the nidge progression thread. :D

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #124 on: June 24, 2008, 10:19:50 pm »

will create a nidge cheerleading thread next :D

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: June 24, 2008, 11:01:37 pm »

;)

Sorry Nidge.

I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2008, 12:23:49 am »

I've gone under 100 in my last 3 rounds in a row.

I need to cut out the 3 or 4 silly 7's and 8's that now blight every round and prevent me going under 90.

(before anyone starts reading my aspirations of going under 90, and thinking "he's not that bad himself" let me remind you I am playing a local par 54 3000yd course these days :D)
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2008, 10:04:54 am »

;)

It was £200 for 3 courses & the hotel, and i'm off 19.1 at the moment.

;D
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2008, 10:52:39 am »
It was £200 for 3 courses & the hotel, and i'm off 19.1 at the moment.

;D

What would my handicap be?

Last 3 rounds on a par 54 have been 93, 100, 99

:D

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2008, 11:21:13 am »

Your penchant for spewing utter bullshit, most of the time.  :)

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: June 25, 2008, 11:45:34 am »
Your penchant for spewing utter bullshit, most of the time.  :)

I set them up, etc :D

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #131 on: June 25, 2008, 12:04:20 pm »
I'm playing on thursday so any bird , tree, rabbit or rambler better beware cos am shite !
and i play of 68.45367458499004 so there  :nirnir

golf is for shit players not smart arses who take it seriously
I mean honestly whats the point of going round in say par, where's the fun in that FFS 
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #132 on: June 25, 2008, 01:00:52 pm »

The maximum handicap per the USGA is 36.4 for men.

Extrapolating your scores to a par 72, your handicap might push the maximum..;)

But it would probably be around 28-30. Super high scores on one specific hole are discounted back to a maximum score of 9 on that hole.  This is called Equitable Stroke Control.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2008, 01:17:44 pm »
The maximum handicap per the USGA is 36.4 for men.

Extrapolating your scores to a par 72, your handicap might push the maximum..;)

But it would probably be around 28-30. Super high scores on one specific hole are discounted back to a maximum score of 9 on that hole.  This is called Equitable Stroke Control.

Different system in the UK.  There's no slope system here.
Maximum handicap is 28.
Generally, only competition rounds are used to calculate handicaps.
It's a simple calculation relative to Standard Scratch (SSI) for the course you play. (ie score minus SSI)
Most you can take on a hole (for handicap calculation purposes) is 2 over the par.

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2008, 04:02:57 pm »
Sounds like Nidge should move to the USA and get a higher handicap..:P

I used to be handicap chairman at the public course I played at for about 3 years. I went to a USGA meeting on handicaps.

We had the luxury of using either the regular handicap from scores turned in for non-tournaments or a "T" handicap for scores turned in during tournament play.

We also had the luxury before the golf season started of announcing certain "local rules" to the handicap syatem. What I instituted, with USGA approval, was a syatem that all stroke play tournament scores turned in would be entered twice into the computer. This is legal to do if announced prior, as we did. What this did was stop the "sandbagging" of those who turned in higher scores only to cash in during tournaments. Funny how the same ones seemed to cash in most tournaments.

So as chairman I could look at the normal handicap or "T" handicap and use the lower of the two as the handicap for the particular tournaments.

btw..per the millions of rounds entered into the USGA handicap computer that they have data for, there is a 2% chance of a player scoring 4 shots better than their handicap. So when a 12 handicap shoots 77, you can think he had a lucky day or..lol. Which is why we would put that 77 in twice and his tournament handicap might drop to somewhere in the 9 range.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2008, 04:13:45 pm »
Sounds like Nidge should move to the USA and get a higher handicap..:P

I used to be handicap chairman at the public course I played at for about 3 years. I went to a USGA meeting on handicaps.

We had the luxury of using either the regular handicap from scores turned in for non-tournaments or a "T" handicap for scores turned in during tournament play.

We also had the luxury before the golf season started of announcing certain "local rules" to the handicap syatem. What I instituted, with USGA approval, was a syatem that all stroke play tournament scores turned in would be entered twice into the computer. This is legal to do if announced prior, as we did. What this did was stop the "sandbagging" of those who turned in higher scores only to cash in during tournaments. Funny how the same ones seemed to cash in most tournaments.

So as chairman I could look at the normal handicap or "T" handicap and use the lower of the two as the handicap for the particular tournaments.

btw..per the millions of rounds entered into the USGA handicap computer that they have data for, there is a 2% chance of a player scoring 4 shots better than their handicap. So when a 12 handicap shoots 77, you can think he had a lucky day or..lol. Which is why we would put that 77 in twice and his tournament handicap might drop to somewhere in the 9 range.

Having been a club member in both countries (Hilton Head, SC in the US), I believe in both systems, you'll generally average about 3 strokes more than your handicap, with 1 good round in every 10 keeping your handicap level.

The US system tends to reflect how well you're playing currently.  The UK system tends to reflect your potential (ie moves you down quickly, but bad rounds don't take you up much).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 05:04:04 pm by JP-65 »

Online 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2008, 06:44:27 pm »
Just so people know how the USGA does it...

The USGA takes the lowest 10 scores of your last 20 rounds posted. Each time after you've posted 20 rounds, the new posted round deletes the oldest posted round in the computer.

You can get a temporary handicap after 5 posted rounds.

So if you play consistently, then your handicap is fairly current. If you play sporadically, then your handicap may not be as current.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2008, 06:56:28 pm »
Just so people know how CONGU do it, I had three cards put in when I first joined a club and they were +11, +15 and +16, the handicap secretary had a look and said 'fuck it...let's put him off 10!'.

The USGA way sounds sensible but over here it's more complicated, on the whole it's a mystery to me.

Anyway Nidge, you're doing well, your official handicap would be 28 although you may be better moving to the states or wearing a dress over here to get 36.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2008, 10:10:40 pm »
Different system in the UK.  There's no slope system here.
Maximum handicap is 28.
Generally, only competition rounds are used to calculate handicaps.
It's a simple calculation relative to Standard Scratch (SSI) for the course you play. (ie score minus SSI)
Most you can take on a hole (for handicap calculation purposes) is 2 over the par.

Is the SSI the other number on the scorecard?

There is the par, the yards, and then another number - always wondered what those meant - are they difficulty?

If I was trying to have an idea what my handicap would be then, I would take my average score (I always play on the same course) and the "SI" (which is what it's labelled on on these) which adds up to 171 on the scorecard and do what?

If they are a difficulty rating, is lowest number regarded hardest?

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2008, 10:14:49 pm »
Anyway Nidge, you're doing well

!!!!

Wow - I wouldn;t have thought so.

Though I am improving. From a 120 average when I first started, I've now played maybe 20 times and am now on an average of about 100. (again, remember this is on a 3000yd par 54)

I'll be pleased if I can get down to a sub 90 average playing once a week this summer.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2008, 10:17:36 pm »
Looked up the SI - or, as I now know, the stroke index - and 1 is indeed the hardest.

The course I play on, while a par 3, has 6 holes with an SI under 5 - does that make it a tricky enough course?

Harry certainly thinks so

I live 2 minutes away from it, you'll see the trees to your left where i launched my club into on the third hole, see if you can spot one with a silvery branch ;D.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:20:24 pm by nidgemo »

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2008, 10:23:58 pm »
Is the SSI the other number on the scorecard?

There is the par, the yards, and then another number - always wondered what those meant - are they difficulty?

If I was trying to have an idea what my handicap would be then, I would take my average score (I always play on the same course) and the "SI" (which is what it's labelled on on these) which adds up to 171 on the scorecard and do what?

If they are a difficulty rating, is lowest number regarded hardest?

Yup, Standard Scratch is what a scratch golfer would average on the course, so it's a 'degree of difficulty' indication.  If a course is Par 71, and the SSI is 74, the course plays 3 shots harder.

The stroke index should have 1 through 18 (for an 18 hole course).  These indicate the degree of difficulty of the individual holes on the course, although you will notice that evens are on one side of the card, and odds on the other, so it's not completely accurate.  So....the most difficult hole is SI 1, the most difficult hole on the other 9 is SI 2, and so on.  Often, this is compiled from the first 6 months of scorecard history from the members, and only changes if the course is modified.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:28:27 pm by JP-65 »

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2008, 10:38:35 pm »
Yup, Standard Scratch is what a scratch golfer would average on the course, so it's a 'degree of difficulty' indication.  If a course is Par 71, and the SSI is 74, the course plays 3 shots harder.

The stroke index should have 1 through 18 (for an 18 hole course).  These indicate the degree of difficulty of the individual holes on the course, although you will notice that evens are on one side of the card, and odds on the other, so it's not completely accurate.  So....the most difficult hole is SI 1, the most difficult hole on the other 9 is SI 2, and so on.  Often, this is compiled from the first 6 months of scorecard history from the members, and only changes if the course is modified.

Ah, I see.

The only hole I;ve ever birdied is the SI 1

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2008, 10:59:49 pm »

How bad am I at golf?

At the moment very.

Went to St Andres Uni, where Students could have a £90 annual membership. That was awesome, but never did any work. Used to play 4-5 times a week so got down to 7 Handicap.....now play off about 24 if I played enough rather than the token twice a year.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2008, 12:29:57 pm »
Ah, I see.

The only hole I;ve ever birdied is the SI 1

You'd get two shots on that, if it was a par three you've had a net hole in one, on a par four it's an albatross! Right Nidge, you're gonna have to ban yourself from this thread, you're too good!

Gus, I'm up at St. Andrews in October, any tips on nightlife (or golf I suppose)?

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2008, 04:04:30 pm »
Shot 49 on a par 33 or 34  9 hole yesterday - two pars, four bogeys, and three holes I'd rather forget about. Missed a couple of par putts and one for birdie Id've sunk with my own putter. Gradually getting better, just need some consistency now!

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: September 1, 2008, 01:47:05 am »
Shot 44 over the same course today - one par, five bogeys, 3 double bogeys.

I'm getting much more consistent...seems to have tied in with my refusal to play anything longer than a 5 iron!

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #147 on: September 1, 2008, 03:55:02 pm »
I played in my clubs Open Competition yesterday.

I tee'd off at 8am, so I had enough time to get to Villa Park afterwards, and managed to shoot 27 over with no pars & my worse round in over 12 months!

I wish I hadn't of bothered!
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: September 1, 2008, 04:35:09 pm »
i aint doing to bad at moment last round i played was 88 which i was happy with!

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: September 1, 2008, 04:41:00 pm »
Had my best round for awhile at Brocket Hall today.......+2 with a bogey on 18 when I misjudged the wind strength, and I lipped out a 15' birdie putt on 17.

Not bad going as it was windy, the course was soft, and I was playing 6900 yards..... ;D

Wentworth West on Wednesday, really looking forward to it in this form.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #150 on: September 1, 2008, 04:45:35 pm »
im heading out to bray golf course now :D
first time to play in about 2 years ! :D

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: September 1, 2008, 05:20:46 pm »
Had my best round for awhile at Brocket Hall today.......+2 with a bogey on 18 when I misjudged the wind strength, and I lipped out a 15' birdie putt on 17.

Not bad going as it was windy, the course was soft, and I was playing 6900 yards..... ;D

Wentworth West on Wednesday, really looking forward to it in this form.

My mate's there on Thursday.

Well done on the round, must have been a great knock, I had my best round a few weeks ago (+4) with a double (the 3 birdies helped) and a 3 putt on the last, like you I lipped out from a couple of feet.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: September 1, 2008, 05:34:54 pm »
My mate's there on Thursday.

Well done on the round, must have been a great knock, I had my best round a few weeks ago (+4) with a double (the 3 birdies helped) and a 3 putt on the last, like you I lipped out from a couple of feet.

Sounds like a nice round you had there, especially with a double.

Your mate should have a good day, it's a great club, with 2 courses that are very different from each other, it's in a beautiful spot and the restaurants are super.

I'm usually up there on Thursday, but playing Mon, Tues, Wed this week so skipping Thurs.

Offline stevied

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: September 1, 2008, 05:36:50 pm »
You'd get two shots on that, if it was a par three you've had a net hole in one, on a par four it's an albatross! Right Nidge, you're gonna have to ban yourself from this thread, you're too good!

Gus, I'm up at St. Andrews in October, any tips on nightlife (or golf I suppose)?
Went up there in August for the Eden tournament which was great, the nightlife isnt special theres a couple of bars that serve late,  the locals reckon get to Dundee across the water theres a bus every night, the golf is top class and the best part of it is that they just make you feel so welcome no heirs and graces top golf resort anywhere for me but nightlife is very limited
i can tip em but cant back em

RAWK Aintree tipping champ 2013

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: September 1, 2008, 05:40:24 pm »
I went to a driving range once.

The rest is history.

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• One leg, musical nostrils, itchy crotch. Is actually Louis Walsh.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 1, 2008, 09:40:51 pm »
In the last 12 months I have played 3 rounds; 94(68), 94(72) and 95(71).  Played in a company golf day on saturday and finished second scoring 35 off a 23 handicap...

Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2009, 03:27:46 am »
gonna play leopardstown GC in dublin friday (early afternoon after working the night shift until 7.30am, yikes!!)
ill have 3 hours sleep max b4 it.. need to get practicing before i play Druids Glen next month, i havent played much really since i was a teanager, but i defo need new clubs, so tryin to get some ebay now :D

Offline borg08

• Main Stander
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2009, 09:05:04 am »
About 7 years ago I played off a 5.

I probably play off a 55 now....

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2009, 02:59:09 pm »
About 7 years ago I played off a 5.

I probably play off a 55 now....
i can say the same too, i played of 10 or 11 when i was 17, now im 27 and i havent played 15times in the last decade..
so im trying to get back to it now.. :D

good thing tho, the area i bought my new appartment in is surrounded by golf courses, and the company i work for has an active golf society. (play one a month :D)

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2009, 04:02:33 pm »
i can say the same too, i played of 10 or 11 when i was 17, now im 27 and i havent played 15times in the last decade..
so im trying to get back to it now.. :D

good thing tho, the area i bought my new appartment in is surrounded by golf courses, and the company i work for has an active golf society. (play one a month :D)

Brilliant! - I'm just about to take golf back up again, too, after about a 15 year lay off.

I'm well excited - I saw a video about how to stop shanking (MATRON!) the other day - which was the bane of my golfing life. Can't wait to get back out there!