Author Topic: Golf - how bad are you?  (Read 286748 times)

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
Golf - how bad are you?
« on: June 12, 2008, 01:58:00 pm »
Hi All

I've taken up golf in the last few years, but am strictly a VERY fair weather golfer (will only go out when the sun is splitting the rocks), and, as such have only played 15 rounds of golf in my life - and those on par 3 courses.

I've never had a lesson or any coaching, I've never been to a driving range, and the guys I play with are as bad as me, so it's kind of the blind leading the blind as far as making each other any better with advice.

Consequently, I'm fucking awful :D and was just wondering how bad other RAWK golfers are (or at least, how bad you were at a similar stage in your golf career as me)

No lies, no shame in this thread - lay your inadequacies bare for all to see!

I average (on a par 54 course) about 105, and my best ever round is an 89. While I will generally get a couple of pars on each round, I am equally likely to get a couple of 8's or even 9's (generally after a few drops for landing balls in lakes, rivers, forests etc) - but I enjoy it on a nice day, so it all evens out :D

So, is ANYONE worse than me, or am I just obviously, even after just 15 games, a REALLY bad golfer who will never get any better  :wave
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
Re: Golf - how bad are you?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 02:04:31 pm »
No one is worse than you but if you play more, you will get better, unless you have some kind of physical disability or have co-ordination problems or are otherwise a cretin.

I'm a 10 handicapper when playing regularly (i.e. once a week) and about a 12 handicapper at the moment, when I am not.  Was on holiday last week and player rounds to 9, 11, 10 and 12, so i was happy. 

So I'm much better than you, actually.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 02:15:02 pm »
I'm much better than you, actually.

Yes, but you're a lawyer, so have probably been playing weekly, for years, while billing clients for the time :D

Long term, I should be OK - I've generally got good co-ordination and can get reasonably good at most sports... but, I'm not concerned if I don't as I'm playing for enjoyment, and many golfers better than me (namely everyone) tell me that the better you get, the more frustating the game gets - and I'm not sure if I'd like that. I prefer laughing my way round rather than cursing my way round!

No one is worse than you

:D

Thanks for that.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 02:19:51 pm »
im an 11 handicapper, but i have been since i was about 13 or 14. i havent really played a competition since then, thats when i started working consequently :P

but, now i bought me own place,and there are 2 golf course's across the road, one behind and a par 3 behind too, all within 1mile radius or 2.

so guess who will begin again :D :D :D

tell u what tho, its not about being really good or really bad, its about having fun with your mates in the game, little small bets and fun.. if your mates are as bad as u, then you have all the ambition and drive you need for each game :D

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 02:22:27 pm »
I've only ever played two full rounds. First one, I decapitated a wood. Second one, I ended up having sex on the 9th.
Don't know if that makes you better than me or what.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 02:23:10 pm »
I've only ever played two full rounds. First one, I decapitated a wood. Second one, I ended up having sex on the 9th.

<insert inevitable hole-in-one joke here>

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 02:25:30 pm »
Ah golf..in my opinion the hardest sport to master. I agree with you that the better you get the less you can actually enjoy it as when playing in competitions you are always thinking about your score and knowing that just one or two bad holes can completely ruin your round. Really good game to play with your mates when the sun is out but my god you can get an odd tan from it.

Offline Blamire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well, it worked in Sweden.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 02:26:45 pm »
<insert inevitable hole-in-one joke here>

;D

Whilst nidge can't seem to get it in the hole.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 02:26:48 pm »
I'm dreadful. Really, really bad. In fact no, I'm probably worse than that.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 02:28:25 pm »
You won't get good by being a fair weather golfer thats for sure

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 02:32:13 pm »

It makes you better than me at persuading (I hope) ladies to have sex in public places, if nothing else.

[I'm going to leave it up in the air as to whether that "I hope" means I hope he persuaded the victim first, or whether I hope the victim was a lady)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:34:24 pm by nidgemo »

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 02:32:43 pm »
I'm dreadful. Really, really bad. In fact no, I'm probably worse than that.

Scores, Col, scores!

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 02:33:47 pm »
It makes you better than me at persuading (I hope) ladies to have sex in public places, if nothing else.

Oh, she was no lady.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 02:34:58 pm »
Oh, she was no lady.

A man then.

Fair enough.

Offline JohnnyDrama

• hey new members to RAWK: He's a really really annoying feedback tourist and thick. If you dont believe me, he even admitted it himself. Post-match angler
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 02:39:20 pm »
Im not to bad, me putting is fucking horrible tho. And when I tee of with a wood about 1 in 5 goes straight. Not to bad with me chip shots.
Greatest Band in the world.

www.myspace.com/brandnew

Offline That Kennedy moment

• "Down in 1...down in 1...or 2, 3, 4, 5, 6..... *pause* .....47, 48, 49..... *sigh*.....
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Why I'm here
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 02:42:37 pm »
I've found that - among me and the lads I play with - you tend to get better in the first two years, and then it really levels out there. You need to play at least six or seven times a summer or else you'll rust up mate. And make the decision now to always be strict on your score count (dropped shots, etc) or you're just kidding yourself.

I average bang on 100 for a par 72 course, and my best is 90. I'm going backwards now, but whatever… when the sun's out it's a brilliant way to spend 5 hours
'I'd rather have a quick wank, a cup of tea and read the Beano frankly.'
Cornelius, 8 September 2008

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »
Yes, but you're a lawyer, so have probably been playing weekly, for years, while billing clients for the time :D
Nah, it is reserved purely for mates.  Banter all the way around, beer and a bite afterwards and the occasional corporate tournament, if they have nice freebies.  As for getting frustrated, you do but the extent you let it affect you is personality driven.  I couldn't really care less if I had a bad round or missed a couple of putts, to be honest.  :wave

Offline Eluamous

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 02:46:09 pm »
I've only played once and I was absolutely atrocious, laughably poor. Made my mates who were also playing for the first time look like seasoned pros :-[

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 02:46:23 pm »
A man then.

Fair enough.

It's crucial to be able to distinguish between 'ladies' and 'slappers who will let you bum them on a public golf course.' Detail is all.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 02:50:50 pm »
I used to play years ago, haven't owned a set of clubs for a long time now though.

I was appallingly bad, but I did get one solitary birdie on a course in Hereford, chipped in from off the green on a par 3.

I once lost 13 balls in a single round on a 9 hole golf course, my score for 18 holes never went below 115 and I once took 79 shots to get round the 9 hole course at Aintree Racecourse.

I was brilliant at the driving range, 300 yard drives etc, but on a course I was a danger to myself and everyone around me.

Still not as bad as my brother in law though, he had a slice so bad he actually hit the ball backwards.
Legacy fan

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 02:57:13 pm »
Im awful but I plan on practicing quite a bit over this summer.

Whenever our company goes on corporate events there is usually a lot of golf played in the free time we have.

It can be quite embarrassing at times.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 03:04:02 pm »
I've been playing for a long time and I really should be better I think. Two weeks ago I got teamed up with a guy who was hitting his second shot from the fuckin' ball washer half the time which helped ruin the day.

Offline Robin Duke

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 03:05:22 pm »
Never played it apart from Crazy golf a couple of times and I was pish at that so I dread to think just how bad I'd be at the real thing  ;D

Offline LFC Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 03:06:33 pm »
I try and get out for a game every week, but like some others, I only prefer to play golf in good weather.

I play fine sometimes but I'm not too good.   I played well the other day though and got a few Pars and a Birdie so my game is getting better.  My Handicap is 26.
"The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they don't know the game" - Bill Shankly

Offline RedBoywonder

• The Big E
  • Legacy Fan
  • and could he play.....
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 03:26:28 pm »
16 Handicap
Justice for the 96.

Offline lillyred

• Main Stander
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 03:31:02 pm »
11 hcp.

Offline Blamire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 03:39:19 pm »
I understand most things in golf apart from this handicap lark.

What is it?

Offline Blamire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 03:43:07 pm »
The number of shots you are 'given'. So if you're playing a 72 par course with a handicap of 18 you should go round in 90. Anything under and you're playing better than your handicap. The lower the handicap the better the player, as you don't need to be 'given' as many shots.

Ah right, cheers.

Gonna have to get out one day and have a round, been to the driving range a few times and it was alright. Love the scenery of some golf courses.

Offline Cleary

• Smooth as babies bottoms
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll never walk alone
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2008, 03:47:21 pm »
No one is worse than you . 

So I'm much better than you, actually.

Fill him full of confidence!
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappionted with that attitude. I can assure you it is much more important than that"
 Bill Shankly

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 03:47:24 pm »
When my driver is doing the business - my irons are not. Vice versa

My putting is pretty decent though
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2008, 03:51:46 pm »
20 handicapper and I'm a lawyer so work out how bad I am.

My lads of 16 and 14 are 3 and 9 handicappers respectively and won't have a round with me anymore - although I am allowed to pay their club fees.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Cleary

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2008, 04:14:05 pm »
20 handicapper and I'm a lawyer so work out how bad I am.

My lads of 16 and 14 are 3 and 9 handicappers respectively and won't have a round with me anymore - although I am allowed to pay their club fees.

Sounds fair, your a lawyer!
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappionted with that attitude. I can assure you it is much more important than that"
 Bill Shankly

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2008, 04:20:27 pm »
Sounds fair, your a lawyer!

My rounds work out at about £100 each per year - their's work out at about 60p each because of how often they play.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 04:23:06 pm »
I'm off 11.

Ultimately, it's not about balls and clubs but sea views, good friends and most of all...getting leathered with your mates afterwards.

Off to South Wales next week for our annual 3 day comp, can't wait!
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline Cleary

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2008, 04:24:19 pm »
My rounds work out at about £100 each per year

Well at least your getting your moneys worth with the amount of times you get to hit the ball! :D
 Bill Shankly

Offline Gareth Keenan

• Kopite
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2008, 04:29:49 pm »
I've found that - among me and the lads I play with - you tend to get better in the first two years, and then it really levels out there. You need to play at least six or seven times a summer or else you'll rust up mate. And make the decision now to always be strict on your score count (dropped shots, etc) or you're just kidding yourself.

I average bang on 100 for a par 72 course, and my best is 90. I'm going backwards now, but whatever… when the sun's out it's a brilliant way to spend 5 hours

I think you need to be playing at least 2 times a week and probably more than that if you want to improve after the first few years.

I play off 11 but considering I play 3 times a week that's pretty shit. As you say I improved a lot the first 2 years but then hit the brick wall. I am actually going backwards at the moment.

I am a member at Southport & Ainsdale along with Blundells Hill. My handicap is at Blundells which is the harder of the 2 off the back tees imo so I might be slightly better than my handicap at other clubs.

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2008, 04:34:55 pm »
I was pretty poor for ages when I only played every couple of weeks but since playing regularly, I'm a lot better, so it will happen...16 handicap now, and my putting's still woeful.

Got a shag on a golf course meself once...fucking thought I was the only one until this thread!
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come
Lester Freamon

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2008, 04:38:02 pm »
I think you need to be playing at least 2 times a week and probably more than that if you want to improve after the first few years.

I play off 11 but considering I play 3 times a week that's pretty shit. As you say I improved a lot the first 2 years but then hit the brick wall. I am actually going backwards at the moment.

I am a member at Southport & Ainsdale along with Blundells Hill. My handicap is at Blundells which is the harder of the 2 off the back tees imo so I might be slightly better than my handicap at other clubs.

Would've though 11 at S&A would travel well Gareth, where's Blundells Hill, not come accross it before?

Offline Gareth Keenan

• Kopite
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 04:45:13 pm »
Would've though 11 at S&A would travel well Gareth, where's Blundells Hill, not come accross it before?

I live in Knowsley Village, Blundells Hill is in Rainhill which is actually closer to were I live. In my opinion Blundells is the hardest of the 2 and probably the toughest and best Parkland course in Merseyside on this side of the water.

S&A is by far the better course of the 2 but is not as tough as many visitors think.

Where about are you going to play in South Wales. I went there last summer, I played Machynys Peninsula, Ashburton along with Pyle & Kenfig. The back 9 at Pyle was as good as anything I have played and that includes some of the alleged world's best courses.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 04:50:28 pm »
I'll have to try it, not keen on parkland generally (though I'm a member of a parkland course, Chester) but always keen to play a new course.

We're playing Pennard, Machynys and Tenby. What was Machynys like? Bit nervous about that 'cos it was a bit of a wildcard, I considered Ashburnham but thought it would be a good but standard links whereas Machynys looks like it will be very good in a few years.

P&K is on my list but the cost of doing that along with Porthcawl and Southerndown was too much for some of the lads. I'll definitely get down to play it though.

As it is we got the three courses for a total of £80, staggering value.