Author Topic: Drink Better Beer - Belgian, German, Craft, Ales, Lagers all your hoppy goodness in one place  (Read 275532 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Duvel is rocket fuel
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
Duvel is rocket fuel
Just been the shops and got some for tonight.

They have also started making a less strong version called Duvel 666, as that is the %...

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Honourable mention for one of my favourites, Bruges Zot. The blonde one.

Although available in bottles in the UK, until fairly recently the only place I found it on draught was at Lowlander, the 'continental' cafe off Covent Garden. That was until a small deli, come cafe opened in Amble on the Northumberland coast. They have an array of European beers on draught, one of which is Bruges Zot. Pleased to say that whenever I'm in - which is often - the place is packed with happy drinkers.

Offline lfcred1976

• Anny Roader
Was at the Baltic Market on Saturday afternoon for a couple of hours and they had an Oktoberfest event on. Had a few pints of Dortmunder. Very nice.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Honourable mention for one of my favourites, Bruges Zot. The blonde one.
That's one that I have not tried myself, as I live in Limburg which is the other side of the country it's not readily available, although I have heard good things about it. 

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Might have been me, as I think it's the best lager in the world. Absolutely delicious. The big Tesco near me is still selling it (or was a few days ago)

Fair play.
Can't get it anywhere in store by me.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
Just come back from Belgium, spent a couple of days staying in Aarschot. Duvel I've had before, but for me I really enjoyed Jupiler which seems to be the beer of choice for a lot of the locals. Very nice drop.

Jupiler was the standard draught at what became my local bar (Au Golden) when I worked in Wavre Wallonie. It's pleasant but doesn't blow yer socks off which is no bad thing for a regular session slurp.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jupiler was the standard draught at what became my local bar (Au Golden) when I worked in Wavre Wallonie. It's pleasant but doesn't blow yer socks off which is no bad thing for a regular session slurp.

Same strength as Stella.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
somehow only tried Weihenstephaner for the first time, far superior to Erdinger imo
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Due to health reasons I have to watch my alcohol intake.

Rather than sit their empty handed any suggestions for a decent low alcohol  beer?

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Rather than sit their empty handed any suggestions for a decent low alcohol  beer?

I'm not a Brewdog fan generally but I do think their alcohol free or low alcohol beers are good - Punk AF, Hazy AF & Nanny State.

Shipyard Low Tide is good as well,

• Legacy Fan
I'm not a Brewdog fan generally but I do think their alcohol free or low alcohol beers are good - Punk AF, Hazy AF & Nanny State.

Shipyard Low Tide is good as well,

Thanks for that. It’s an alternative to bottled water (I don’t drink carbonated drinks) or twiddling my thumbs.

Not desperate enough to ask for ‘a nice cup of tea’ yet. ;D

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan

I only noticed this weekend Guinness does a no/low alcohol,no clue how it tastes.

• Legacy Fan

I only noticed this weekend Guinness does a no/low alcohol,no clue how it tastes.

Thanks for that. I’m not a fan of Guinness so it’ll be water or a probably rancid cup of coffee.

Offline Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader

I’ve tried all of the main stream brand’s no alcohol range. I’ve found the Birra Morettii to be the best of a bad bunch. You soon get used to the taste . I doubt I’ll go back to the alcohol version.
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'

It’s awful unfortunately. I had an alcohol free Heineken at the weekend that did a passable impression of the real thing, which in itself is a below-average lager.

I tried the alcohol free Doombar once and it was absolutely foul.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97

I had a six pack of the Sam Adams Just the  Haze IPA in Chicago.

If you can get it, let me know where as it was fantastic

• Legacy Fan
It’s awful unfortunately. I had an alcohol free Heineken at the weekend that did a passable impression of the real thing, which in itself is a below-average lager.

The last beer I had a few weeks ago was full strength Heineken and I would agree, that is a below average lager.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Why is it that non/low alcohol beer tastes so bad......??

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Why is it that non/low alcohol beer tastes so bad......??

I'm not sure the science of it, but there is a distinct unpleasant flavour that the vast majority of them have. The Brewdog beers aren't amazing when judged in comparison to normal alcoholic beers, but they do a good job of masking that unpleasant flavour.

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
I had a couple of cans of Beavertown Lazer Crush, alcohol free beer last week. It's an extremely fruity IPA and probably best suited to summertime drinking, but I would rank it alongside the Brewdog AF beers already mentioned.

I don't know much about Beavertown, but a mate was telling me that the company was established by Logan Plant, son of Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated

I don’t drink anymore so have tried a few. Don’t really enjoy lager anymore and don’t think much of the alcohol free lagers.
As others have mentioned some of the brewdogs are decent (Nanny State and Punk AF). I think the Guinness is slightly sweeter than normal Guinness but I thought it was good, certainly easy to drink.
My fav is Ghost Ship 0.5% by Adnams, because it’s fairly local to where I live you can usually find it in supermarkets and pubs around here but unfortunately I’ve never really found it in other areas
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)

The best lower alcohol beer I’ve had was a ‘table beer’ from Cloudwater. It was around 3% and tasted like a lovely, hoppy ipa. I think it was called ‘And Relax’. Cost a fair bit but was worth it.

But for non-alcoholic, the nicest I’ve tried was by Innis & gunn, a beer called Innis & None. Don’t know if they still do it but if they do it was great for 0%

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I tried a load of the low/non-alcoholic ones when I was trying to cut down drinking and lose weight.
They all tasted so bad that I decided I'd have to just drink less in general, but make it something nice when I did.

Speaking of which, the lager offerings in most supermarkets are so poor (Budvar is probably the best that's readily available) I'm trying a box of German lagers from Trembling Madness which seems to be popular for UK deliveries of European styles. Works out around £3 per beer which is decent if they're the good stuff. Got a fancy beer shop just down the road which is charging £4.50 for a lot of these.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 04:34:58 pm by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I don't know much about Beavertown, but a mate was telling me that the company was established by Logan Plant, son of Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant.
Beavertown used to make nice beers but since they’ve been bought out by Heineken and gone mass-produced, they’re tasting more and more like any old fizzy beer now. Inevitable really. They’re doing a ‘Doom Bar’ which went shite when it got taken over by Molson Coors.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Leffe does a N/A beer. No idea how it tastes though.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis

Full strength Doombar is worse. Totally rank. A triumph of advertising over quality.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline rothers

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
If your after Bruges Zot there is a great Belgium bar in my home town of Worcester(just south of Brum) that serves it along with Vedett, La Chouff & De Coninck on draught, not to mention dozens of bottled Belgium classics over 10%.

It’s fair to say you don’t get out of TripleB sober!

http://www.tripelb.co.uk/

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Has anyone mentioned Jupiler yet?

• Legacy Fan
I tried a load of the low/non-alcoholic ones when I was trying to cut down drinking and lose weight.
They all tasted so bad that I decided I'd have to just drink less in general, but make it something nice when I did.

Speaking of which, the lager offerings in most supermarkets are so poor (Budvar is probably the best that's readily available) I'm trying a box of German lagers from Trembling Madness which seems to be popular for UK deliveries of European styles. Works out around £3 per beer which is decent if they're the good stuff. Got a fancy beer shop just down the road which is charging £4.50 for a lot of these.

Well thanks for all your suggestions. I’ll have to try a few but with very low expectations of satisfaction. ;D

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Has anyone mentioned Jupiler yet?

think so, yeah you can get it in tesco, its good

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan

The Trembling Madness. No trip to York is ever complete without calling in here. Wonderful place.

Anyhow, in an effort to alleviate the deep depression of watching todays match, I've just ordered a dozen 'Winter Leffe' from here. It can't come quick enough.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
keep an eye on galway beer twitter

they usually have some good stuff out for xmas

200 fathoms mainly

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
After we beat Abu Dhabi, I was in Tezzers and saw some Blue Moon on the 'split pack' section for a reduced price and chuckled as I bought it. It's really nice - Belgian wheat beer, not at all hoppy, just a hint of mild citrus (not the overbearing grapefruit flavour of Brewdog shite and many other IPAs with the hated citra hop)

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm not sure the science of it, but there is a distinct unpleasant flavour that the vast majority of them have. The Brewdog beers aren't amazing when judged in comparison to normal alcoholic beers, but they do a good job of masking that unpleasant flavour.

I would agree about the Brewdog stuff.  It's actually drinkable, considering it's non/low alcoholic.

The majority all have a thoroughly unpleasent taste - clearly, there is something going on with them all.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
After we beat Abu Dhabi, I was in Tezzers and saw some Blue Moon on the 'split pack' section for a reduced price and chuckled as I bought it. It's really nice - Belgian wheat beer, not at all hoppy, just a hint of mild citrus (not the overbearing grapefruit flavour of Brewdog shite and many other IPAs with the hated citra hop)
Considering it’s a widely available, American-brewed wheat beer, Blue Moon is ace and really moreish. Can down a few and forget they’re near 6% though! Shame that it’s so expensive on tap as when it is, it’s usually lovely. They do a bottled Mango one you can get in Tesco that’s refreshing too.

It’s a lot of effort but chucking some fresh orange zest and finely chopped coriander in there really elevated the flavour. Can’t say I’ve ever been arsed to do it myself but I ordered one at an overpriced bar once and they did it and it was lovely really. I suppose similar to a Hoegaarden.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
someone bought me a 3 month beer subscription with Beer52, not got it yet, but seems very dear for 8 cans/bottles for £27? has anyone done that before?

https://www.beer52.com/subscription
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
someone bought me a 3 month beer subscription with Beer52, not got it yet, but seems very dear for 8 cans/bottles for £27? has anyone done that before?

Yeah I used to do it every couple of months for cheaper than that but cancelled. It's alright, nothing special. I get a £50 monthly box from Beermoth in Manchester where you know you're getting quality and limited runs. There'll likely be somewhere similar in Liverpool (if not, start one and make some cash).
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

As bradders says, much better subscriptions out there. Had a Beer52 box once and was completely underwhelmed. Quite like Brewser at the moment. Expensive but the quality and choice is good.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
i put the beer52's in the fridge and drank 3 of the cans, one was 6.7% pale ale and was decent at 440ml. the other two were dark beers. and wow. they were rancid. i never really knew how much i hated dark stouty beers. horrible. drank em anyway.

ive got 2 more boxes to come, and im going to select "light" beers. cos i just find them nicer tasting. but only reason i ordered them, was cos the voucher was going to get expired. I'm trying to cut down on drinking to be honest.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?