Author Topic: #SHANKLY100 Bill Shankly - He Made The People Happy  (Read 4426 times)

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
#SHANKLY100 Bill Shankly - He Made The People Happy
« on: November 7, 2011, 12:56:29 pm »
Managers and our love affairs with them.

Part 1

To be honest, I'm shocked how many of the young un's can't even name Liverpool's first ever manager. They were W. E. Barclay & John McKenna if you didn't know. You always hear about the players such as Ian St. John, Roger Hunt, Keegan and Yeats but a manager is also vital to the team in terms of building it, running it and well, managing it and for Liverpool FC they have played major parts. A recent mate and me were having a chat and though seems to have quite a deep understanding of present situations, when I asked about Shankly, he could say nothing apart from the fact Shankly was a legend, which he is, and made Liverpool F.C. I couldn't bear that - There are not enough words to describe Shanks, you could talk on hours about the man and still would not run out of facts and knowledge about how big a legend he was and what he did for the club.

So I decided to write this lengthy read, a deep insight about the top 6 managers, and yes, that includes Bob Paisley, Joe Fagan, Kenny Dalglish, Rafa Benitez and even Gerard Houllier. An article which I hope aspires every young un to learn about these great men and gives them a deep insight knowledge.

Instead of just googling these men up or just having a look at Wikipedia, we look at what they meant to our hearts rather then a neutral view.

We begin with the legend himself :

BILL SHANKLY - A MAN OF THE PEOPLE

1) Introduction

William 'Bill' Shankly OBE was born on 2 September 1913. He was brought up in Glenbuck, Ayrshire which was a small Scottish mining town. He was the ninth of ten siblings and had quite the tough up bringing in the beginning. Bill later stated that the poverty gave him a slight sense of hope and humor that he could still achieve something in life, and did that to perfection, he did.

He had four brothers, Bob, John, Jimmy and Sandy who all had professional careers as footballers, and Bob also having a slightly successful career as a manager with Dundee.

By age 13, Shanks had dropped out of school to work in the local mine pits, emptying coal trucks so they may be sent back to be refilled. He stated that working in the mines taught him many lessons. They guys shared necessities, helped each other out in life and looked out for each other, as a team. There was no better lesson to learn and was the best secret to his success, in football terms to play for each other and as a team.

While he we was working in the mines, Bill's football ability began to develop. He soon was recognized by a bunch of scouts. He has started to play at wingback position for Cronberry Eglinton and Glenbuck Cherrypickers. When the scouts from Carlisle came calling, Shankly had no objection in finally fulfilling his dream to play football. In fact, he had the choice to either play for Carlisle or Preston, but the Cumbria Club it was. Signed at a £4 per week contract.

2) Footballing Career

- Carlisle

July, 1932, Shanks had been signed and on New Years Eve, 31 December 1932, he made his debut against Rochdale. It was on that day that Shankly's long professional career in the football assosication began. In 3 years at the club, he made only 16 appearances and when Preston came knocking again, he decided to move on to the Lancashire based club.

- Preston North End
In 1933, signed for a fee of £500.00, Bill became a vital player in the Preston team, helping them to promotion to the First Division. Then in 1937 and
1938, he played in two FA Cup finals, losing the first one against Sunderland but winning the second one against Huddersfield Town, 1-0.

Them playing days for Preston...
It was during these momentous days that he got a call up for Scotland against bitter enemies, as they beat England 1-0.

Unfortunately, the successful playing days were short lived as one day before his birthday, Britain declared war on Germany and had to base his football around many different clubs.

He played for many clubs in this period such as  Liverpool, Arsenal, Cardiff City, Bolton Wanderers, Luton Town and Partick Thistle and played a part in Preston's victory in the 1941 Wartime Cup Final at Wembley.

By the time, organised professional football began again in 1946, Shanks was now 33 and had come to the latter stage of his career. The best playing days of his life had been taken away by the war. Despite this, he wanted to play on but faced reality and in 1949 decided to pursue a career in management.

3) Managing Career
          - Carlisle United

Just after Shanks retired from professional football, in the same month he was appointed manager of the side he started his playing career, Carlisle United. From the lower tables of Division Three to challengers and coming 3rd - Shankly had the motivation to keep Carlisle rising. It was only due to financial disputes that he resigned but he had made his mark. His stats at the club are recorded at having played 108 games Shanks out of which he won 48 and having a win % of 44.44%. was eager and hungry for success and began to believe in his ability. Liverpool did indeed come calling.....

- Grimsby Town
Unfortunately for Shanks, and us - he failed the interview and in 1951, Grimsby Town got his signature.

The club was in decline and there was little hope for them. A team which was hanging bottom of Division 3, and had just suffered their second relegation in 4 seasons. A low ebb surrounded the club and Shankly had just inherited a poor, ageing group of players.

He still became a cult figure, drawing huge crowds and even playing for the reserves some times. In the 1952-53 season, Grimsby picked up 36 points out of a possible 40 in the last 20 games yet still failed to gain promotion and after that all went downhill. Some problems off the pitch and failing to see a 'lack of ambition' from the board - he decided to quit.

- Workington

After Shankly left Grimsby he went on to manage Workington in 1954–55, lifting the side from the lower end of Division Three North to a 8th place, their highest finish at the time, and for the first time above their local rivals and Shankly's former club Carlisle United.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 04:16:30 pm by MichaelA »

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bill Shankly - He Made The People Happy
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 12:31:17 am »
good start, look forward to Paisley, my favourite manager.
Yep.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 06:24:09 pm »
This is where I'll be writing my 6 reads if our LFC managers. Feel free to contribute to data and remarks.

Thank You.

P.S : If I may need some help or if I've written something wrong by mistake, please correct me, you scribes are here to help ;)
Out of interest, who are your 6?

Shankly. Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish, Houllier and Benitez?

Harsh on Hodgson ;)

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 06:36:41 pm »
Out of interest, who are your 6?

Shankly. Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish, Houllier and Benitez?

Harsh on Hodgson ;)

Obviously they'll be my top 6 and not uncle Roy ;D

Geez mate, only a manc would say Hodgson was the best manager of LFC  ;)

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
Re: #SHANKLY100 Bill Shankly - He Made The People Happy
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 04:16:41 pm »
#SHANKLY100