Author Topic: Raheem Sterling  (Read 109149 times)

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Raheem Sterling
« Reply #360 on: December 12, 2018, 10:39:57 am »
The guy was 20 at the time, all of 20 years old with his entire future ahead of him. He couldn't give us a few more transfer windows to figure things out? He just couldn't sit tight and wait until he was 23-24 and reevaluate his options then? What would have been the harm in that?

We took a risk and gave him games when he was just a little kid and had proven nothing. Then to act like that meant nothing to him?

Well he'd have one less PL medal and a fair bit less cash for starters. It's been a very good move for him so far. Things might have been different had Klopp come in when he was here, but Man City were a far more attractive proposition than we were in 2015. I don't blame him for leaving, it's just the manner he did it in (and his rat agent didn't help).
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: December 12, 2018, 10:42:44 am »
The guy was 20 at the time, all of 20 years old with his entire future ahead of him. He couldn't give us a few more transfer windows to figure things out? He just couldn't sit tight and wait until he was 23-24 and reevaluate his options then? What would have been the harm in that?

We took a risk and gave him games when he was just a little kid and had proven nothing. Then to act like that meant nothing to him?

You are acting like we did him a favour by bringing him to Liverpool to develop him, we wanted him because he was an amazing talent, wanted by every club in England.

He owed us nothing, and he made the right decision.

He's won numerous trophies whilst we've won nothing, and he's earned more money. He's not a local lad who supports us, so he's free to do as he wants.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #362 on: December 12, 2018, 11:02:46 am »
You are acting like we did him a favour by bringing him to Liverpool to develop him, we wanted him because he was an amazing talent, wanted by every club in England.

He owed us nothing, and he made the right decision.

He's won numerous trophies whilst we've won nothing, and he's earned more money. He's not a local lad who supports us, so he's free to do as he wants.

He owed us not acting a prick whilst he was under contract with us
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #363 on: December 12, 2018, 11:21:43 am »
He owed us not acting a prick whilst he was under contract with us

True, but we owed him, not leaking his wage demands to the press when he had 2.5 yrs left on his existing deal.  (Especially not halfway thru a season, in a move that destabilised him and us)

Sure those demands seemed huge ( and always would seem to be to the average fan),but Rodgers was labelling him the best young player in the world, or something, around that time
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 03:15:19 pm by markmywords »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: December 12, 2018, 03:08:04 pm »
Great player - but belongs with the mercenaries at Manchester City in any event.

You can see from the players that have been playing with us under Klopp and in our magical European nights how much playing for Liverpool means to them. Sure - many of them could move on for more money or prestige - but they have stars in their eyes when they talk about our supporters and playing at Anfield under the lights.

Raheem never had or wanted that connection - so it's not a big deal.

We got massive money for him at a time where 50m would be 75-80m now. Helped us refashion the team slowly but surely.

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #365 on: December 12, 2018, 06:39:16 pm »
Well he'd have one less PL medal and a fair bit less cash for starters. It's been a very good move for him so far. Things might have been different had Klopp come in when he was here, but Man City were a far more attractive proposition than we were in 2015. I don't blame him for leaving, it's just the manner he did it in (and his rat agent didn't help).

By that logic everyone of our stars, Mane, Salah, and Firmino should have left us in the summer. They were under no disillusion on who the favorites were entering this season to win the PL and it wasn't us, nor the demand their talent was felt at other clubs where trophies are much more certain. You would not have had a problem if they all demanded to leave and we just let them go?

Klopp or no Klopp our underdog status entering the season was undoubtedly true, even more the year before with Mane and Firmino, before Salah. That the likes of Bayern, Barca, City and Juventus all could have used a Salah or Mane and they all have a much better chance of winning a league and equally as good of a chance as winning the CL. But they didn't, I can't so for certain why, but it can't be for Klopp alone, he's just a single guy after all. No amount of charisma could overcome everything Liverpool faced entering the season. No, I could only speculate, but it could have only been the message Klopp was saying: of pride in competition, in the pride of overcoming the odds and the challenge of taking on all comers and coming out on top.

At 20 and his entire career ahead of him that pride should have been there, at least for a little while longer. Sterling was not Mbappe, he was not a certainty. He had a lot of promise, but there are a mountain of kids with a plenty of promise who stalled because their clubs didn't develop them properly. But we did develop him properly and that's where the mutual pride should have been.

It might not be entirely his fault, but letting a star player at all of 20 years old go is the lowest I have ever felt at this club. Even more so than the Hodgson era, when we at least still had a few more years of Gerrard and the hope a better owner would come. The closest we have ever been to being Ajax, or Porto, a complete stepping stone academy club with zero pride in actually winning it all. It might sound entitled, but we deserved better than that at the time. Even with all their fuck ups up to that point this club, FSG, Rodgers deserved better than that. At least they were trying with Lallana, Lovren, Can and Balotelli. That's my thoughts on the matter anyway.
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: December 12, 2018, 10:23:24 pm »
By that logic everyone of our stars, Mane, Salah, and Firmino should have left us in the summer. They were under no disillusion on who the favorites were entering this season to win the PL and it wasn't us, nor the demand their talent was felt at other clubs where trophies are much more certain.

Erm, no. Rodgers' 2015 team that just finished 6th and got dumped out of the CL groups and then dumped out of the Europa last 32 compared to Klopp's 2018 team that just reached the CL final blitzing all before them (including City). For players looking at a team's prospective success, it's not even a comparison.

City are owned by an oil state, they're the closest thing to guaranteed silverware for any player in this country while the Sheikh is in charge. There was a chasm between us in 2015, but under Klopp we've closed that gap considerably. Hopefully by the end of this season we might just have usurped them.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 10:33:24 pm by Grinch57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #367 on: December 12, 2018, 11:32:07 pm »
Erm, no. Rodgers' 2015 team that just finished 6th and got dumped out of the CL groups and then dumped out of the Europa last 32 compared to Klopp's 2018 team that just reached the CL final blitzing all before them (including City). For players looking at a team's prospective success, it's not even a comparison.

City are owned by an oil state, they're the closest thing to guaranteed silverware for any player in this country while the Sheikh is in charge. There was a chasm between us in 2015, but under Klopp we've closed that gap considerably. Hopefully by the end of this season we might just have usurped them.

Not many at the begginning of the seasons would have predicted how well our league season has gone so far. That City would be out of distance in January, where they most likely won't be now. Most were hoping we could repeat our heroics in the CL, but anyone who is honest knows the CL is always going to be kind of a crap shoot. That doing that well in back to back seasons was, and still is, a bit of a stretch. The point still remains there were better prospects than LFC in the summer of 2018 just like there were better prospects than LFC in the summer of 2015. Only a couple less really.

But it's less about the comparison in terms of results than it is about the ages. Sterling was young, much younger than Salah, Mane and Firmino are now. He had time on his side and should have given us more time to figure it out. Things can change quickly in football. Of course Sheikh guarentees silverware, that's my issue. At 20 he should have been much less focused on silverware and more focused on developing as a player and giving back some goodwill to a club that took a chance on him when he was a kid. I just don't think that's unreasonable to ask.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 11:34:01 pm by trimore »
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: December 13, 2018, 12:53:02 am »
I don't blame him for leaving, it's just the manner he did it in (and his rat agent didn't help).
That's how I feel about him. I don't hold anything against any player for leaving, it's their career after all. But the disgusting disrespect towards Brendan Rodgers and Liverpool FC that emanated from Sterling's camp at the time leaves a sour taste in my mouth. 

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: December 13, 2018, 09:50:57 pm »
You’d think he was Martin Luther King the way he’s being spoke about in the media this week, christ!

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #370 on: December 13, 2018, 10:14:44 pm »
Well it's a bit better than him getting berated for buying a family member something nice isn't it

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: December 13, 2018, 10:20:08 pm »
You’d think he was Martin Luther King the way he’s being spoke about in the media this week, christ!

Not at all, nothing wrong with praising someone for highlighting a big issue and speaking up for a massive institutional problem

Glad he's getting a lot of praise for it to be honest, its been a long time overdue

Offline petecolonia

• Anny Roader
  • Left of the Sinking Ship
    • Northern Independence Party
« Reply #372 on: December 14, 2018, 12:08:17 am »
He's handled this brilliantly I think. As an issue and what should be a common cause it's something well worth getting behind the lad on, exposing those bastards at their two-faced game!

Feel free to boo him for 90 minutes if it does the trick like..
Bunch of centrist wetwipes - Watching Britain sink into obscurity.

Keir Starmer will tank hard. Alan X says I'm a bore, but at least I don't mod forums. That's just sad.

Offline steampie

• Kopite
  • Truth yes, now Justice.
« Reply #373 on: February 21, 2019, 12:33:35 pm »
I'm trying my best to continue to dislike the guy, but he's making it hard! Great finish last night.
I think [naming your daughter] Fuckoffyoubitterblueshitebastards Becker has a nice ring to it.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #374 on: February 21, 2019, 09:51:55 pm »
Find it hard to dislike him now, he's clearly done a hell of a lot of growing up since he left us, as you'd expect for someone his age, and he's just so bloody good now. If only...
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline MartinSkrtelsBasement

• Kopite
« Reply #375 on: February 26, 2019, 04:57:01 pm »
Makes a cameo in this music video about black identity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDUPSNdmFew
Pirlo is a silent leader. He speaks with his feet.
—Marcello Lippi

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #376 on: February 26, 2019, 05:21:44 pm »
Never thought I'd see Dave on the main LFC board  ;D

Great young rapper and well in there by Sterling. Any bitterness I had towards him is long gone at this stage, still hope he ends up with only a League Cup this year mind.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: February 26, 2019, 07:39:53 pm »
He's been disrespected left right and centre by the scummy media in this country and he's done nothing but keep his head up and win. Don't like the way he left, don't like his dickhead agent and absolutely hate who he plays for but I think he's done alright considering

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: February 26, 2019, 11:01:09 pm »
Credit to his handling of the media, he left like a spoilt little prick though... nothing will change that to be honest. Imo there's a way to carry yourself and for a club that did a lot for him, he disrespected the fans and the club massively which was out of order, regardless of his agent

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #379 on: March 14, 2019, 09:30:14 pm »
They were chatting about him on the radio earlier.
About he's fast becoming world class.
With his consistency this season, and his decent showing last season, I reckon they're right. He might even be called it right now by many non-City supporters. Can't argue with his numbers. And credit to Josep.

Still remember the lad from when he was tearing up the youth teams and how we all rated him as one for the future.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #380 on: March 15, 2019, 01:52:11 am »
They were chatting about him on the radio earlier.
About he's fast becoming world class.
With his consistency this season, and his decent showing last season, I reckon they're right. He might even be called it right now by many non-City supporters. Can't argue with his numbers. And credit to Josep.

Still remember the lad from when he was tearing up the youth teams and how we all rated him as one for the future.

... and breathe.

I just showed you two superior wingers in one picture. Also, your source was most likely English radio, hence English media and we all know how they talk a bunch of shite.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 01:57:47 am by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #381 on: March 15, 2019, 09:20:07 am »
... and breathe.

I just showed you two superior wingers in one picture. Also, your source was most likely English radio, hence English media and we all know how they talk a bunch of shite.
Eh? Are you alright mate?
I only shared what radio said. I aint saying he's better than any of our forwards.

Let's take bias away for a minute and recognise the numbers and progress of this lad. This is after all the Sterling thread.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #382 on: March 15, 2019, 09:21:59 am »
His movement and game intelligence has always been very decent and that’s what’s getting him so many goals, especially in a team that create chances for fun. I’d say his technique and finishing is still not the best (probably improving) but so many of his goals come from him timing his runs perfectly to be in the right place at the right time.

Offline FCukBarca Haw-Haw

• Anny Roader
« Reply #383 on: March 15, 2019, 09:50:54 am »
His movement and game intelligence has always been very decent and that’s what’s getting him so many goals, especially in a team that create chances for fun. I’d say his technique and finishing is still not the best (probably improving) but so many of his goals come from him timing his runs perfectly to be in the right place at the right time.

Best English player atm

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #384 on: March 15, 2019, 10:16:52 am »
Best English player atm

Probably. Can’t think who else could claim to be. Spurs players have dropped off a bit, haven’t seen much of Sancho.

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: March 15, 2019, 02:07:53 pm »
Best English player atm
His current form, yes. He isn't a better player than Kane though.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: March 26, 2019, 01:59:17 am »
As others have said, I didn’t like the way he left us and the manouevering of his agent. But a lot has changed since then, we got a decent profit at the time, and for me it’s now water under the bridge.

He is a very good player and completely support him in his fight against depiction of black players by the media, and for his brilliant handling of the racist scum in Montenegro. Deserves huge credit for this.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: March 26, 2019, 09:25:03 am »
He's definitely taken a big step up this season. The way he was running at the Montenegro players was terrific, and it looks like he's finally delivering on the goals front for England too.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #388 on: March 26, 2019, 11:38:58 am »
Still think he acted like a spoilt brat giving it all the lies about Rodgers when he left, especially employing that utter scumbag of an agent to get out - and I hope we still give him dog's abuse when he plays here for Abu Dhabi, but I've been very impressed with the way he's handled himself against the two-faced British media and the fact he's become a default spokesman for anti-racism. Playing well for England too - he'd score bucketloads with Hendo giving him balls on a plate every week if he was still here!

Still doesn't deserve Footballer of the Year over VVD though - which he'll probably get if they win the title  ::)

Offline Cu Chulainn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: March 26, 2019, 02:00:34 pm »
Still don't like him, but he's become some player. He strikes the ball an awful lot better now than he used to.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: March 27, 2019, 02:22:42 am »
He's grown into a very impressive young man. I think anyone who still bears a grudge about his past actions when he was barely a teen and already feted as England's saviour should just let bygones be bygones.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: March 27, 2019, 11:06:43 am »
Nope. Still don't like him.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: March 27, 2019, 11:53:16 am »
He's grown into a very impressive young man. I think anyone who still bears a grudge about his past actions when he was barely a teen and already feted as England's saviour should just let bygones be bygones.
Is 20 years old barely a teenager now? Was he really being touted as 'England's saviour' back when Rooney was the main man and scoring for fun for the national team, and Harry Kane was emerging as a star? See this is the thing, it should be a given that racist chanting should be condemned and it's fine to say Sterling's been given unfair treatment if that's what you believe, but you don't have to make things up or build him up into a saint in order to do so.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #393 on: March 27, 2019, 12:42:52 pm »
Is 20 years old barely a teenager now? Was he really being touted as 'England's saviour' back when Rooney was the main man and scoring for fun for the national team, and Harry Kane was emerging as a star? See this is the thing, it should be a given that racist chanting should be condemned and it's fine to say Sterling's been given unfair treatment if that's what you believe, but you don't have to make things up or build him up into a saint in order to do so.

Nobody reasonable is building him up as a saint. He's actually brave enough to come out and challenge a lot of these things, which is really good to see. Of course it should be a given that players don't face racism, but they do and it takes someone bringing it to the front pages to start possible change. No need to use hyperbole to knock him down in challenging that, no matter how we view him.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: March 27, 2019, 02:46:25 pm »
He forced his way out, we have bought players who have forced their way out of teams. It happens. 20 year old making mistakes? Happens
His reasons to move, like most players reasons to move, were sound. And it has paid off financially and through medals.

The leadershop role he is taking in regards to matters that are much bigger than sport, is fascinating. It would be so easy to just be quiet but to stand up the way he has. Considering the current political climate, is brilliant.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: March 28, 2019, 02:38:21 am »

Oops, I meant "barely out of his teens". I am terribly, terribly sorry for my shocking lack of judgement.

There can be more than one England saviour, you know. And Sterling was hyped to fuck when he was at Liverpool both at club and national level. It's not surprising he drank his own bath water a little, and he has proven he can thrive at the highest level.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 02:41:42 am by GreatEx »

Offline Rich

• Kopite
  • RAWK Lurker
« Reply #396 on: March 28, 2019, 09:54:40 am »
He's a fantastic player and seems a nice person too. The media will do a complete 180 now, the fucking rats.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: March 28, 2019, 10:16:27 am »
Respect him a whole lot more than i do Suarez, thats for sure.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: March 28, 2019, 11:34:18 am »
Don’t mind him really, and he did make the right move for his career. People on here still suck off Suarez and he was involved in the Evra stuff, fucking bit someone, tried to engineer a move to Arsenal, and then bit someone again to try and leave us so I do find the difference in treatment pretty odd.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #399 on: March 28, 2019, 11:40:44 am »
Don’t mind him really, and he did make the right move for his career. People on here still suck off Suarez and he was involved in the Evra stuff, fucking bit someone, tried to engineer a move to Arsenal, and then bit someone again to try and leave us so I do find the difference in treatment pretty odd.

Think it’s also worth noting that he was a very young lad with some dickhead agent as a mouthpiece . Does anyone know if he still employs the same bloke?

I have no issues with him and the move has worked for both parties. Realistically, he wouldn’t of progressed the way he has at City if he stayed here I don’t think (puts on Tin hat)