Author Topic: Joe Cole  (Read 83571 times)

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
Joe Cole
« on: November 23, 2012, 02:46:35 am »
Surely deserves some praise for tonight after the stick he gets on a daily basis?
« Last Edit: January 3, 2013, 01:54:53 pm by royhendo »
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Re: Joe Cole
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 02:51:02 am »
Kneejerking works both ways like, played really tonight though. Looks a bit sharper than any time I've seen him this season.
:D

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 02:54:42 am »
Yes he deserves praise for tonight. He did well by anyone's standard.

He's not a long-term solution for us and will surely be off in the summer, but given how much we're paying him it'd be nice to get the odd performance out of him.

He seems like a nice and likeable guy and I've no reason to wish him anything other than the best.

If I were in his shoes, I wouldn't "fuck off and leave the club" to go to a shitty club that would pay me 1/3 the salary when I only have 2 or 3 years of earning left in my career. Especially given I'd genuinely prefer being at a great club and trying to prove myself.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 02:58:51 am »
I don't see why gets so much abuse. He seems like a good pro to me. Not saying we should keep him or he's even any good, I just don't see why people hate him so much.

He worked hard last night, got a goal and assist, fully vindicated Rodgers decision to pick him. Looked sharp as well.

Could be a good squad option after all.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 03:16:40 am by Bakez0151 »

Offline reds7

• Kopite
  • Walk on Tommo
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 03:11:13 am »
Put in a good shift, fair play to him - showed hunger and determination with his strike

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 03:19:31 am »
I don't see why gets so much abuse. He seems like a good pro to me. Not saying we should keep him or he's even any good, I just don't see why people hate him so much.

He worked hard last night, got a goal and assist, fully vindicated Rodgers decision to pick him.
I don't think it's a personal thing, he always comes across a good lad, and a lad that'd be a nice addition to a dressing room, nice and lively and game for banter. However, his performances were atrocious, and top that with his wage, it wasn't a nice combo.

Let's hope he can kick on from tonight.

Offline Kop10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 03:27:47 am »
I still believe if he's given a proper run in the side and support from staff/fans, he would deliver more than Suso from the right - in the short-term.

He might not look as fluent as Suso on the ball but he's got great experience and a knack of making the right runs/decisions.

He's a confidence guy and he'll build on tonight and show us more over the coming weeks.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 03:29:22 am by Kop10 »
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too. One year we came second." - Bob Paisley

Offline liverpooll

• I am right, you are wrong, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Just does not get it. Also does not get that he does not get it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 03:30:52 am »
Much rather have Joe Cole than Downing in the team. Especially since Downing is the more expensive signing and yet is a poorer player.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 03:31:37 am »
He seems to be one of the nicest footballers around and a good role model for the younger players, he came across really well in the America Tour diaries. He also had a really good game tonight but I still have my doubts that he can perform like that on a consistent basis, hope he proves me wrong though. At best I think he'll be backup to Suso on the right for the rest of the season which for the wages he is on isn't really enough.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 03:34:40 am »
I thought he could be a decent option in the final third in a Rodgers system. Finally showed he might be, tonight.

If anyone could post the gif of his goal too that would be boss

Credit to Suso and Shelvey as well for being on the same wave-length, I think Cole's movement made that goal though. Those are the types of goals we need to be scoring. Don't have much experience in that final third apart from Suarez.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 03:41:21 am by Bakez0151 »

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 03:35:15 am »
I still believe if he's given a proper run in the side and support from staff/fans, he would deliver more than Suso from the right - in the short-term.

He might not look as fluent as Suso on the ball but he's got great experience and a knack of making the right runs/decisions.

He's a confidence guy and he'll build on tonight and show us more over the coming weeks.

No way, give me Suso over him every day of the week. Has already showed he can make a contribution to the team and is able for the Premier League. He'll only get better so no need to halt his progress and development by playing a guy who is on his last legs. I don't mind Cole as a person, and he used to be a pretty good player. His wages are ridiculous though and that will always leave fans a bit concerned and add extra pressure on the guy. If he doesn't perform, which he hasn't in general, then fans are going to get a bit fed up with him. Played well tonight and well done to him. Maybe given a run in the side he could give good performances but I think the younger players are doing that already so no need to break that up.
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 03:38:26 am »
That assist had West Ham academy written all over, from the movement to the pass to the continuation of the run to little chip to the back post. If only we had him in his prime...
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Kop10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 03:45:24 am »
No way, give me Suso over him every day of the week. Has already showed he can make a contribution to the team and is able for the Premier League. He'll only get better so no need to halt his progress and development by playing a guy who is on his last legs. I don't mind Cole as a person, and he used to be a pretty good player. His wages are ridiculous though and that will always leave fans a bit concerned and add extra pressure on the guy. If he doesn't perform, which he hasn't in general, then fans are going to get a bit fed up with him. Played well tonight and well done to him. Maybe given a run in the side he could give good performances but I think the younger players are doing that already so no need to break that up.

Look, Suso is an amazing player but I don't think he's pulling up trees from out right at the moment. It can't possibly hurt to give someone else a run to see if they can deliver a bit more.

I really don't believe in sentiments when it comes to LFC. Suso's development won't go to pieces if he comes up as sub through the middle/wide right and starts cup games.

We need points on the table and if Cole gives us a better chance of getting them, then Suso will have to bid his time.

Of course Joey Cole might not be good enough and if so, fair enough. If he can be more productive than Suso though playing on the right of the front 3,  I'd play him there.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too. One year we came second." - Bob Paisley

Offline 6thSense

• 6th Sense? Nonsense more like.
  • Anny Roader
  • stadium work is gonna start in the summer of 2014
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 03:47:24 am »
Fair play to Joe. Well, any half decent/half fit forward can do a damage if there's a decent midfield base to work with. He had that tonight and picked up the right moments to shine. Tried some crazy things with success, fucked up easy stuff but it's hard to find a balance between reasonable and stupid if you're expected to make a difference.. Fitter. Still, with Joe's injury record there's a "good" chance he does his hammy the very next training session.. not reliable enough at this stage of his career. Hope I'm horribly wrong and he goes on a big run, fitter than ever. Seems a genuine lad. Must be on some special fitness program, so surprised with his improved work-rate tonight. Might be our wild card for some open games this season.. 10 to one shot
I never single out players for criticism - but there's no need tonight, because we were uniformly awful.

Offline RGF30

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
    • Insurance
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 04:05:18 am »
Played well enough, that being said he's not a long term or short term solution.  LFC won't decline with him leaving.

Offline liverpooll

• I am right, you are wrong, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Just does not get it. Also does not get that he does not get it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 04:17:12 am »
Played well enough, that being said he's not a long term or short term solution.  LFC won't decline with him leaving.
We need more numbers rather than further reduction of squad. I will also rather keep Joe Cole than Downing. And more importantly, we need to first get better players before we can sell our players which is particularly hard without Champs League. That's the reality and let's face it. Perhaps, Cole might still be a good option.

Offline L Redwing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 04:19:44 am »
Had a chance to meet him over the summer and he was a super nice guy. Ever since then I haven't been able to help cheer him on and hope he is successful with us. He seemed so glad to be back at Liverpool and wanted to make it work. So it was great to see him tonight do well.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 04:23:55 am »
Just one match changes the opinion of many. Good job Cole
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 05:06:45 am »
Pretty much. If we needed to move along his wages in January in order to replenish our squad, then last nights game was a real bonus.

First time in years that he's had consistently good touches like that...at least while playing for a team in England. Its always nice to see someone who is struggling have a standing ovation after a good performance, even for a night, they must feel like they're walking on the clouds.

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 05:19:46 am »
I fancied starting this thread but I thought I'd be shot down in flames... im glad someone else had the bollox...  ;)

I though he had a great game, and he showed a real hunger for his goal… I think hes a top squad player and at his age, he's worth having around. I wouldn’t necessarily get rid in Jan and if he has a few more games like last night, I feel we should keep him after the summer.

This isn’t a knee jerk after one performance either! He proved on loan in France that if he is happy with life and happy with his football he can be a player…
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 05:21:45 am by mingle »
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 05:34:28 am »
Always been a fantastic professional.  Watching the reserves one day and he started for them and the commentator was gushing about how professional he was and how badly he wanted to succeed here.  Can't fault him for effort.  He is just physically shot.  That was the fittest I've seen him and he was blowing out after 15 minutes.  Its a shame we never got to see him play his best for us.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline ReeNah

• Kopite
  • I bleed RED!
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 05:49:02 am »
Loved how Shelvey bowed down to score Asian style. It wasn't even a real header lol!
"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"
Benjamin Franklin

Offline Jamie1983

• Anny Roader
  • Ynwa!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 05:57:03 am »
he definitely gives us an option now off of the bench.

like said poster above, he is a big confidence guy so he needs to get some gametime coming up now, a few cameos off the bench if its a route or we need a goal.

I've been so patient with him its beyondwords, i've always hoped he would work out, but after the start of this season and another injury i had finally written him off.
Glad to see he's given me a glimpse of what he could possibly contribute to the squad!

Another mature head in our team can do no harm whatsoever, especially if he puts in the types of performances he did like tonight...the youngsters will listen and take note of the lovely runs he makes, doesnt matter how old or outta shape, u never forget how to make those runs, and be in the right place at the right time typa thing

ynwa joey!
When you walk through a Storm, hold your Head up high!

Offline Figsy Le Bon

• Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2012, 06:50:42 am »
Probably his best performance in a Liverpool shirt. My hope is that he can do a job for us coming up to January and  with a few more performances like that hopefully we can interest someone in taking him off our hands then
"Get over here. Now. Might be advisable to wear brown trousers and a shirt the colour of blood." - Malcolm Tucker

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2012, 06:57:28 am »
He did well last night.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2012, 06:58:20 am »
This is such a knee-jerk thread, if anyone said stuff like how he's a good option off the bench, a great player in Rodgers system in the final third etc.. Before yesterday they'd of been laughed at.

Absolutely amazing, nothing for 2 years and now he's good enough 'cos he had a good 70 minutes against Young Boys.

I don't get this 'he's a good pro' shite either, if he was a good pro he'd be able to run more than 10 yards without looking like he's just done the triathlon, I bet Lucas looks fitter than Joe when he comes back, I thought he smoked too? That's what half of RAWK says anyway, if he does how can you possibly say he's a good pro.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 07:04:00 am by -Willo- »

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 07:02:52 am »
I think that Joe's best performances came long before he signed for Liverpool.
They were delivered when he was a kid growing up at West Ham and locked into the Lampard/Redknapp academy loop.
In my view, his consistency started to go sour once West Ham had to hold another of their "keeping afloat "sell-off sales (they've always had to do business that way) and both Cole and Lampard sadly bogged off to join the Kings Road swells for quite a sizeable chunk of the Russian's dough.

Joe's been below his former high average for at least 5 years now.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:48:17 am by Johnnowhite »
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Figsy Le Bon

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 07:04:04 am »
This is such a knee-jerk thread, if anyone said stuff like how he's a good option off the bench, a great player in Rodgers system in the final third etc..

Absolutely amazing, nothing for 2 years and now he's good enough 'cos he had a good 70 minutes against Young Boys.

I don't get this 'he's a good pro' shite either, if he was a good pro he'd be able to run more than 10 yards without looking like he's just done the triathlon, I bet Lucas looks fitter than Joe when he comes back, I thought he smoked too? That's what half of RAWK says anyway, if he does how can you possibly say he's a good pro.

I think most people are simply glad to see some application from the guy for once, agreed though that anyone saying he's a good option for us all of a sudden will most likely need some serious physio treatment on those knees. As I say though if he can perform like that a few more times without getting himself injured I think we might be able to offload him to someone who'll pay (at least a portion of) his wages
"Get over here. Now. Might be advisable to wear brown trousers and a shirt the colour of blood." - Malcolm Tucker

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2012, 07:04:21 am »
The final piece of the jigsaw.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2012, 07:08:25 am »

So your basis for him not being a good pro is conjecture.  How about we take what commentators for LFC tv that know him personally have to say about him ?  He played a reserves game a few weeks back and he didn't look like he was coasting along, he was actually trying.  Everything else I agree with you, but there is nothing to say he hasn't been a good pro at the club.  As for his smoking habit, no one knows how true it is. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2012, 07:25:11 am »
The English Messi who ripped apart the 5th best Swiss Team with a magical display driven on by his mystical red power glove.

FFS people. There is a reason Cole was considered a success in France.

Perspective.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2012, 07:43:42 am »
Fair play to him, he did well. Doesn't change the fact that he's a drain on our resources, as we could have a real top class player for the wages he's getting. I like Joe as a person, seems a nice bloke and it's clear he's trying harder, but the fact remains that he's just not good enough to justify his cost.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2012, 07:44:20 am »
He was trying to impress Rafa.
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Online Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2012, 08:08:50 am »
Thought he had a great game - I would start him against Swansea to try to keep up the momentum...

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2012, 08:14:18 am »
Good game from Cole.  Let's hope good enough to fool some poor sap into taking him off our hands in January
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2012, 08:23:42 am »
He was man of the match, but one swallow doesn't make a summer.  It'll take a lot more to convince me he has any sort of future here.

Can't fault him last night, he even showed a touch of pace at one point.  Deserved his goal.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2012, 08:23:57 am »
Meh, it's just a final 'surge'.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2012, 08:26:30 am »
I wrote this in the pre-match thread.

"On the subject of Joe Cole, if he does get on the pitch tonight he'll have my support.

I don't know the guy, but everyone from the lads on TAW to LFC staff and players seem to suggest he's a decent lad, regardless of what you think of his leisure activities and general match fitness.

One of the contributors on the Guardian podcast who I believe is a ST holder said that he understood Cole has completely lost any confidence he brought back from France with him. Apparently Rodgers still has some faith and has been on the verge of 1 to 1 counselling Cole, even showing him videos of past games to remind him what he's capable of.

I didn't know that.

Whether we sell him, or he suddenly turns a massive corner our support as fans will only help. Case in point - when Enrique misplaces a pass or runs down a blind alley, you hear words of encouragement from around you in the stands. Look how he's thriving on that wave of belief. When Cole does the same, you hear a massive groan and insults that wouldn't be out of place in the schoolyard.

For whatever future outcome, let's hope he scores a goal and has a decent game."

Same thing for me now. I'm glad he had a decent game, for us, for him it can only help things.

Meh, it's just a final 'surge'.

LOL You could be right. What do they say? The brief show of normality before the final curtain.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:28:04 am by MushyP15 »
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2012, 08:31:47 am »
Joe Cole put the effort in last night, made a goal and scored a goal,,  however with his £90k a week he is on the list in January to go out on loan or be sold for buttons.

Liverpool FC do not have the cash for bench warmers, these Yanks are pulling the purse strings tighter and tighter, mirroring the other side of the Atlantic with their base ball team.

It's gonna be a rocky road over the coming months coming to the head in the January window closure.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2012, 08:32:33 am »
Thought he had a great game - I would start him against Swansea to try to keep up the momentum...
Better get the nebuliser pitch-side then.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg