Author Topic: SPOILERS The Chainless Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon Discussion  (Read 1043922 times)

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
OK. Have a think about how you're behaving in light of the earlier post. If it happens again, then what do you think you're provoking the mods to do? CL final coming up and so forth... c'mon now.

Now. Nobody is hateful, or a narcissist.

It’s fine us all having strong views but let’s try and be nice to each other, myself included.

As I said, this applies to everyone, myself included.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Right. We'll try again. Please be nice people who do and say and write nice things to other nice people.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
Audience expectations subverted in the final season of Game of Thrones: "Bad writing! And Character x would never do that!"

Audience expectations subverted in Star Wars: The Last Jedi: "Brave writing! You're just too invested in character x to get it... let the past die!"

Good job, internet.
Pretty accurate that, apart from those - myself included in that - that'll just rip something if it's bollocks no matter how invested they were.

Someone said recently on here that D&D will now fuck off and ruin Star Wars. What's their to ruin? There hasn't been a very good Star Wars film since 1980.

Oh, and there is zero chance this will ever be remade. Dany burning down KL will forever be symbolic for what's happened to this show and the legacy of it. It'll be up there with Dallas, Dexter, and Lost.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:59:06 pm by Macphisto80 »

Online jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A petition to get Season 8 remade has acquired nearly 800,000 signatures in less than 2 days. Most people are only signing it as a pisstake but it goes to show that a lot of people are not happy with this season at all. 

Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
I mean, I've been pretty vocal about how I feel about it all, but a petition? Fuck off, that's just a shining example of modern day internet entitlement.

The best thing you can take away from this show overall is the production values of it, and how people working on a site located where I live can basically achieve industry standard feature length big budget quality sets and effects for TV. It's a sign of things to come and if there is one thing about series 8 of this that can come out with its head held up high, it's that it looks fucking fantastic and everyone involved in achieving that deserves immense credit. We'll have amazing looking TV shows in the future with things like Lord of the Rings spin offs and Mega City One, which is being produced on a stage that'll be as equally capable.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Oh, and there is zero chance this will ever be remade. Dany burning down KL will forever be symbolic for what's happened to this show and the legacy of it. It'll be up there with Dallas, Dexter, and Lost.
Comparing it to Dexter is abit extreme. I get people don't like it for whatever reason. I still enjoy it. Think some are going way overboard with the criticisms. People are forgetting this is a TV show reading some of the comments online.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
A petition to get Season 8 remade has acquired nearly 800,000 signatures in less than 2 days. Most people are only signing it as a pisstake but it goes to show that a lot of people are not happy with this season at all. 

Based on some of the arse-backwards theories I've read from some people, I'm guessing a lot of them wouldn't have been happy with any ending.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
. Dany burning down KL will forever be symbolic for what's happened to this show

Hard to argue with that.

Jumping the shark. Bobby Ewing's shower. Burning Kings Landing.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.

It is a really weird ask "I didn't like the series, so you should redo it." Any other show that people didn't like the ending of, is criticised but accepted. But with this so many people seem like they feel entitled to a "better" ending. There are a thousand shows people can watch nowadays, I'm sure some of them will be to each persons liking.

Fantasy shows and films seem to develop such a weird following of people who feel they deserve or get to have a say over the way a series plays out. Dislike something all you want and have all the conversations you want about how you'd prefer it to turn out, but to petition for a different ending or for something to be removed from 'canon' is just odd.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
One positive to come out of this nerdish shithousery is that I can add "earning one's character arc" to the list of expressions I use to mock millennial dipshits.

You’re only 2 years off being a millennial yourself. ;D But I understand the term millennial is now just used when “people younger than me doing things I don’t like”.

Surely “Earning ones character arc” just means characters not inexplicably doing things that render the previous weight of their development worthless..?

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Fantasy shows and films seem to develop such a weird following of people who feel they deserve or get to have a say over the way a series plays out. Dislike something all you want and have all the conversations you want about how you'd prefer it to turn out, but to petition for a different ending or for something to be removed from 'canon' is just odd.

This is true, I mean a horse can't even turn up at the end of episode 5 without people trying to crowbar in some epic reason for it being there, it has to be Bran doesn't it? HAS TO.

Jamie's face has to be stolen so that Arya can kill Cersei, it just has to! Its so epic!

Its because Walter White can't warg out of his cancer riddled body and in to a dog that Jessie gets to look after that means shows rooted in reality dont have to suffer the same fate of fans writing their own fanfic bullshit endings they get overly invested in.

Not saying this is a satisfying ending, or that it will be, but genuinely there is no ending which might've satisfied the GoT fanbase, not a single one. Its far too disperse.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
This is true, I mean a horse can't even turn up at the end of episode 5 without people trying to crowbar in some epic reason for it being there, it has to be Bran doesn't it? HAS TO.

Jamie's face has to be stolen so that Arya can kill Cersei, it just has to! Its so epic!

Its because Walter White can't warg out of his cancer riddled body and in to a dog that Jessie gets to look after that means shows rooted in reality dont have to suffer the same fate of fans writing their own fanfic bullshit endings they get overly invested in.

Not saying this is a satisfying ending, or that it will be, but genuinely there is no ending which might've satisfied the GoT fanbase, not a single one. Its far too disperse.

Brexit in a nutshell !

"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Comical to say the least,they should open up a go fund me and everyone of them pledge $100 each,I doubt even that would cover the costs though.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
This is the best tv show this millenium, isn't it? It trumps the Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I mean, I've been pretty vocal about how I feel about it all, but a petition? Fuck off, that's just a shining example of modern day internet entitlement.

The best thing you can take away from this show overall is the production values of it, and how people working on a site located where I live can basically achieve industry standard feature length big budget quality sets and effects for TV. It's a sign of things to come and if there is one thing about series 8 of this that can come out with its head held up high, it's that it looks fucking fantastic and everyone involved in achieving that deserves immense credit. We'll have amazing looking TV shows in the future with things like Lord of the Rings spin offs and Mega City One, which is being produced on a stage that'll be as equally capable.

It has done amazing things for the reputation of Irish film making,which to be fair has always been top notch.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Comparing it to Dexter is abit extreme. I get people don't like it for whatever reason. I still enjoy it. Think some are going way overboard with the criticisms. People are forgetting this is a TV show reading some of the comments online.

I honestly think that all the criticisms are valid (in here,I've never read about it anywhere else),it has still been visually incredible and enjoyable though.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
This is the best tv show this millenium, isn't it? It trumps the Sopranos and Breaking Bad.

No chance.

anyway, I'm one of those who blame D&D. HBO wanted more episodes, the writing and editing has been too rushed. A shame really, but obvious they (and maybe others in the production) wanted to move onto more projects.

But will be a long time before I rush to watch anything else they make.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan

No. No it doesn't. Even at its peak, it wasn't close.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Not sure about that,I think that D&D have fucked it up so badly that in time it won't be considered as good as either of those and we have so many new shows about to come out hat it could fall further down the list.

The Expanse could top the lot,I say could because I've not read any of the books and apart from the obvious I have no idea what happens in the next season.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
For what its worth, I'm enjoying the story telling. It is rushed but I have been entertained.

Personally, entertainment that annoys you and makes you angry is still entertainment. It is still worth your time. All the people complaining and re-writing episodes will eventually realize "this show had a huge impact on me".

If a form of entertainment leaves you 100% satisfied it is just weird ha.

Football is entertainment for most people. I have watched LFC lift 11 trophies in almost 30 years of watching them. Every season has annoyed me and I would re-write most. But complaining doesn't make it better.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
I watch it more to have a laugh at the bullshit inconsistencies now, I'm not actually upset about the ending or which characters are going to come out "good" or "bad", that would be fucking stupid for a show like this which always traded on a certain amount of unpredictability.

I'm pissed off with the terrible rushed last 4 eps we get, which have flaws too numerous to go through, particularly in terms of consistency and character development, did something happen to Varys and Tyrion  offscreen a few seasons back, which left them mentally compromised, so they are now trading on reputations of intelligence rather than any recent evidence of showing any?

I'm also pissed off because I loved the first few books and this is pretty much the only ending we will ever get, because GRRM is never finishing them.

Still if you like a bit of CGI, big battles and big explosions, then I imagine its a blast.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 04:23:20 pm by filopastry »

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
I like it better than Breaking Bad. And I like Breaking Bad, just think it`s still overrated.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........

It's not the best show on TV this week ;)

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Easily, in my opinion. No other show has given me quite as many moments that genuinely left me speechless.

The Red Wedding will go down as one of the most memorable and shocking television moments ever. I was totally transfixed during that beautiful build up to Cersei destroying the Sept too. Then there's Blackwater, Watchers on the Wall, Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards...all spectacular.

There's another thing that the show has done which I've never experienced before. At times it's made me genuinely nervous. There are moments where they build tension before some twist or conflict, where my heart races. I've honestly never experienced that level of immersion in any film or television series before. Game of Thrones has done it on many occasions.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Easily, in my opinion. No other show has given me quite as many moments that genuinely left me speechless.

The Red Wedding will go down as one of the most memorable and shocking television moments ever. I was totally transfixed during that beautiful build up to Cersei destroying the Sept too. Then there's Blackwater, Watchers on the Wall, Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards...all spectacular.

There's another thing that the show has done which I've never experienced before. At times it's made me genuinely nervous. There are moments where they build tension before some twist or conflict, where my heart races. I've honestly never experienced that level of immersion in any film or television series before. Game of Thrones has done it on many occasions.

Haha so true,the last one being "don't you dare kill that fucking dragon",much of the nerves have come from what has to be one of the greatest original soundtracks (Ed ginger not included) ever produced.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Is it fair to compare the Sopranos etc?

GoT is such a large scale show, with wars and zombies and tits and dragons and Sopranos was almost entirely the opposite.

If we compare "premium dramas" then I think I can name ten better shows easily. But Sopranos and Breaking Bad are far closer to each other than they are GoT, same with more of the highly rated shows over the years.

I suppose you could say Band of Brothers, but that's 10 episodes vs 70-odd. And Band of Brothers is untouchable.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
Biggest TV show ever? Without a doubt. For the time being at least. As I said, its opened doors for what can be done. Best ever? Could have been. I was of the mindset that it was until 3 episodes ago. Sadly, those episodes have done so much damage to it that I can no longer feel like I could rewatch it knowing where it ends up. This story is the cinematic equivalent of baking a delicate mousse or merangue. They prepared everything right, up until the end where they undercooked it and it all came apart.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I've honestly never experienced that level of immersion in any film or television series before. Game of Thrones has done it on many occasions.

This is bang on. Definitely forgotten to breathe during more scenes than I can remember in this show.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan

Betcha it is. They'll start reduxing TV the way they did with film franchises soon, I'm guessing.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It is a really weird ask "I didn't like the series, so you should redo it." Any other show that people didn't like the ending of, is criticised but accepted. But with this so many people seem like they feel entitled to a "better" ending. There are a thousand shows people can watch nowadays, I'm sure some of them will be to each persons liking.

Thats what pisses me off about Star Wars, younger generations trying to make the films something they never were. Weirdos the lot of them.

I'm not arsed how the series finishes, I don't expect films and shows to finish the way I want, if I did, I'd have to write it myself. I don't even have issues with Arya killing the NK, Euron taking out the dragon, Jaime killing him, I have an issue with how shit the scenes were written.

The destruction of KL was great TV, seeing the dragon in the distance burning everything was excellent.

Betcha it is. They'll start reduxing TV the way they did with film franchises soon, I'm guessing.

They've already started that with Magnum
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
One positive to come out of this nerdish shithousery is that I can add "earning one's character arc" to the list of expressions I use to mock millennial dipshits.

I never realised there were so many frustrated Film Studies graduates out there yearning to emulate 'Doctor" Mark Kermode. :D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
I never realised there were so many frustrated Film Studies graduates out there yearning to emulate 'Doctor" Mark Kermode. :D
(He is actually a Doctor)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
(He is actually a Doctor)

I know. Just amazed you can get a doctorate for simply going to the flicks. And then talking a load of bollocks.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Sopranos was phenomenal. Not really fair to compare the two, it’s like comparing Lord of the Rings with Goodfellas.

Sopranos has got an insane amount of great characters though that I don’t think GOT has
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
                             REMIX!

[img width= height= alt=source252c3bd786e44484.gif" border="0]https://s3.gifyu.com/images/source252c3bd786e44484.gif[/img]

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Sopranos was phenomenal. Not really fair to compare the two, it’s like comparing Lord of the Rings with Goodfellas.

Sopranos has got an insane amount of great characters though that I don’t think GOT has

Sopranos and the Wire are in a different league to most dramas which  don’t get anywhere close although Breaking Bad was the closest. GOT is probably next tier down.

If you opened it up to all tv shows then a lot of comedies would be closer still to that top tier but that’s a really tough comparison.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
One thing we should praise is Emilia Clarke’s acting, she’s been brilliant this season, even with the duff rushed script.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
One thing we should praise is Emilia Clarke’s acting, she’s been brilliant this season, even with the duff rushed script.

I thought her scene with Jorah was very good, I didn’t think she had that in her to be honest. Also the bells ringing scene I thought she did well, considering in reality she was sat on a metal device thing in a warehouse  ;D

On a separate note how much is Kit getting paid for this season? All he’s really said in 5 episodes is I don’t want it  ;D such a cushty part.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I thought her scene with Jorah was very good, I didn’t think she had that in her to be honest. Also the bells ringing scene I thought she did well, considering in reality she was sat on a metal device thing in a warehouse  ;D

On a separate note how much is Kit getting paid for this season? All he’s really said in 5 episodes is I don’t want it  ;D such a cushty part.

Lena Headey got paid 1m an episode - she’s brilliant don’t get me wrong, but she’s basically just stared out of a window this whole season.

Emilia’s been brilliant though and has helped carry the dregs of the writing to the end - she’s one of the very big focal points in every episode and the whole story, and this season she’s nailed it. Deserves a lot of recognition for it.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
As others have said, I think the main problems are that it's just been too rushed, and also the fact that the dialogue for some of the characters seems to have taken several steps backwards compared to earlier series.

Previously, events like the battles of King's Landing and Winterfell would have been the stand-out set-piece of a full series, now they only have an episode between them. Episode 4 had to deal with the aftermath of one battle while building up the next one, and didn't have enough time to do either properly.

I don't have a problem with how most of the character's have ended up, but the condensed plot means the last few steps of their journey has been too rushed. Jamie running back to Cersei, Arya giving up on killing Cersei, Varys betraying Dany, Dany going beserk - all of these things would have been better if they'd had a bit more time.

I know every would-be writer (or blogger) on the internet has had their say on how they think things should have been done, so I'll only mention one tweak I thought of - have Daenarys execute Varys' little bird alongside him. It shows an extra step on her taking a darker path, and could also be a call-back (either directly or indirectly) to Jon executing Olly.