Author Topic: The NHL Thread  (Read 595214 times)

Offline RedinToronto

• Anny Roader
  • Come on you Reds!
Re: The NHL Thread
« Reply #80 on: October 6, 2005, 11:39:03 pm »
Fucking shootouts! How the fuck did we loose that?!?!?!
2-1 with less than a minute to go and Quinn puts on our worst fucking players. What the fuck are the likes of Tie Domi and Aki Berg doing on the ice in the last minute with a 2-1 lead?!?!?! FUCK FUCK FUCK!
Not to mention the TERRIBLE shooters in the shootout. Lindros was way wide, and Allison looked more like a comedy act than someone actually trying to score (much like myself with the ladies, ah-oh!)
Let's hope we can beat those fucking Habs Saturday...
Liverpool Fc is hard as hell,
United, Tottenham, Arsenal,
Watch my lips and I will spell
Cuz they don't just play but they can rap as well

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: October 6, 2005, 11:42:17 pm »
Tie Domi is my favorite 'goon' obviously.

He's never been a great player (though he has been decent), he's a short guy but fights very well and gets a lot of penalty minutes. Good local guy too and does a lot for the community. He's got a really hot wife.

He's been with the Leafs since his career began in 1991 except for a one-year stint at NYR (I believe), in 92/93.
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team of Messiers...
« Reply #82 on: October 6, 2005, 11:43:13 pm »
Tie Domi was with the Rangers...he sucked here because he lost almost all of his fights.
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

ManU fans--your 1999 European Cup is safe and sound in our museum

Mark Messier--The Captain, The Legend, The Messiah...11 forever

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: October 6, 2005, 11:44:55 pm »
Fucking shootouts! How the fuck did we loose that?!?!?!
2-1 with less than a minute to go and Quinn puts on our worst fucking players. What the fuck are the likes of Tie Domi and Aki Berg doing on the ice in the last minute with a 2-1 lead?!?!?! FUCK FUCK FUCK!
Not to mention the TERRIBLE shooters in the shootout. Lindros was way wide, and Allison looked more like a comedy act than someone actually trying to score (much like myself with the ladies, ah-oh!)
Let's hope we can beat those fucking Habs Saturday...

Jesus Yuri calm down.

Kaberle and McCabe played 30 minutes, I think that's more than we should ask of them. You're saying to put them on more?!? The answer is to get 2 quality defencemen. Now.

I don't think he put our worst players out for the shootout at all. You should be happy that we played a very strong game against the favorites for the Cup. We limited them to 1 shot in the second period.

From what I just read of your comments you sound like a typical Torontonian knee-jerk, bandwagon fan :P . No offence :) .
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: October 6, 2005, 11:46:32 pm »
I think the Rangers may twat the Habs...then you'll get your chance
"They're the New York Giants; all run and no fun"--my brother at the Giants-Eagles game, Nov. 20, 2005

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: October 6, 2005, 11:49:20 pm »
[...] twat [...]

I thought you were an American ;D .

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: October 6, 2005, 11:50:55 pm »
Yeah, but talking to all these bloody Brits, you know...

Offline Bobby Fury

• Fountain of Musical Knowledge
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
« Reply #87 on: October 6, 2005, 11:56:21 pm »
My Blackhawks were pretty lame last night - 2 short-handed goals against them  :butt.  The Bulin Wall didn't look too impenetrable.  For some reason, the Hawks have had trouble with the Ducks since about 1996.  I don't think they have won a season series with them since before that time.

I think the Hawks will do OK this year.  They have a lot of young talent up front.  Their defense is a little lacking.  With all the player movement, it will be an interesting year throughout the league.
LFC - It's what's happening!!!

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: October 7, 2005, 12:16:26 am »
My Blackhawks were pretty lame last night - 2 short-handed goals against them  :butt.  The Bulin Wall didn't look too impenetrable.  For some reason, the Hawks have had trouble with the Ducks since about 1996.  I don't think they have won a season series with them since before that time.

I think the Hawks will do OK this year.  They have a lot of young talent up front.  Their defense is a little lacking.  With all the player movement, it will be an interesting year throughout the league.

Khabibulin will come good in the long run though and I was suprised the Flyers didn't move for him early on but we seem to rate Esche.  Time will tell on that one and letting in 5 on opening night is not the best start.  :-\

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 7, 2005, 12:19:29 am »

The Blackhawks have been a pretty anonymous team for a while now. They spend some money in the offseason though so we'll see if they can make the playoffs this time around.

Offline NY-AmericanRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: October 7, 2005, 12:23:02 am »
Rangers score in the first minute...

WOW

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: October 7, 2005, 03:58:21 am »
The fantasy league doesn't appear to be working ???

Or does it update the scores the next day.

Or does nobody actually know how to play properly?

Arrrghhh!

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: October 7, 2005, 08:54:55 am »

Arrrghhh!

I was trying to work out how you set your teams up.  At the moment, it appears you can play everyone and it doesn't prompt you to bench anyone. Strange.

Rangers score in the first minute...

WOW

Weekes let in a soft goal in OT in that one.

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Will there ever be a Rainbow ?
« Reply #93 on: October 7, 2005, 03:45:05 pm »

Arrrghhh!

Fantasy league scoring starts 10th October.
Come on RAWK lets ave it and you can bring your fuckin dinner as well.

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/ <-- Read this JFT96

MICHAEL SHIELDS YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Steve Biko, Aung San Suu Kyi, Nelson Mandela and now ScouserTommy37. Stop the repression!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: October 7, 2005, 03:46:05 pm »
I was trying to work out how you set your teams up.  At the moment, it appears you can play everyone and it doesn't prompt you to bench anyone. Strange.

Weekes let in a soft goal in OT in that one.

2 players must be benched.

"If Jamie Carragher were Italian, we'd build entire dynasties around him." Corriere della Sera

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 7, 2005, 04:26:18 pm »
Fantasy league scoring starts 10th October.

I noticed, thanks.

I got Ryder :P . I intended to get him before because he was on my watchlist but then during the draft I forgot. So last night after I heard he scored 2 more goals I got him on my team and got rid of Sergei Federov. :)

Offline yenners

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #96 on: October 7, 2005, 09:25:31 pm »
   Sundin missing from the leafs lineup is going to hurt the Leafs badly. Do all you Leafs fans think you have a realistic chance of picking up Lord Stanley's cup this year ?

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 8, 2005, 12:15:02 pm »
theCanadian was telling me the other night that either Ottawa or Philadelphia will win the east. ;)

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #98 on: October 8, 2005, 03:06:56 pm »
C'mon Leafs!  Can't believe we fudged up against Ottawa but as long as you bring back Lord Stanely's Cup, we'll forgive you!
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 8, 2005, 03:13:09 pm »
C'mon Leafs!  Can't believe we fudged up against Ottawa but as long as you bring back Lord Stanely's Cup, we'll forgive you!

;D

Sundin missing from the leafs lineup is going to hurt the Leafs badly. Do all you Leafs fans think you have a realistic chance of picking up Lord Stanley's cup this year ?

I'd say our chances are about the same as Liverpool winning the Champions League in the 04/05 season (at the start of the CL campaign). The Leafs will always do fairly well with Quinn behind the bench, he's a worldclass coach.

PS: When the Leafs finally do win the cup for the first time since '67, this city will explode. There will parties in the streets everywhere - it would be crazy. You'd see more people lining Yonge street for the parading of the trophy than you did for Liverpool's celebrations after Istanbul. It would be just incredible and something I and all other Leafs fan in Toronto are desperate to witness.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2005, 03:15:54 pm by theCanadian »

Offline kopkev

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #100 on: October 8, 2005, 05:25:46 pm »
youre all wasting your time watching the leafs et al, canucks are going to win the cup with the best forward line in the NHL bertuzzi,  naslund  and morrison, add to that defencemen like ohlund jovanovski and salo, only problem seems to be in goal as im not convinced with cloutier or the back up alex auld.

Offline Scarlet`

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
« Reply #101 on: October 8, 2005, 05:41:34 pm »
;D

I'd say our chances are about the same as Liverpool winning the Champions League in the 04/05 season (at the start of the CL campaign). The Leafs will always do fairly well with Quinn behind the bench, he's a worldclass coach.

PS: When the Leafs finally do win the cup for the first time since '67, this city will explode. There will parties in the streets everywhere - it would be crazy. You'd see more people lining Yonge street for the parading of the trophy than you did for Liverpool's celebrations after Istanbul. It would be just incredible and something I and all other Leafs fan in Toronto are desperate to witness.

Yeah ;) but Red does look better than Blue :)

...but count me in the party ;)
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 8, 2005, 07:28:35 pm »
You'd see more people lining Yonge street for the parading of the trophy than you did for Liverpool's celebrations after Istanbul.

Controversial.

Why, oh why does Gagne score 2 a couple of days before fantasy scoring gets underway!  ::)

A good win though, eh ScouserTommy?

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 9, 2005, 05:43:41 am »
Shit I'm pessimistic right now.

I know only two games have passed, and there is still 80 games left but I feel the Leafs lineup is very thin. They were fairly well organized against Ottawa for the whole game but tonight the defensive pairing of Aki Berg and Wade Belak was shambolic. Both those players were -3.

Quinn really need to improve the special teams if we are going to stand a chance against Ottawa on monday. We're missing Sundin big time. The other thing is that the Leafs won't ever be able to beat Ottawa unless Belfour is at his absolute best and the Leafs defence is playing competently. Tonight they were not. Kaberle and McCabe are getting way too many minutes.

Good having a hockey game on thanksgiving though :) . I'm still kinda happy because I'm just chuffed that hockey's back. The only real bright spot tonight for the Leafs was that all the youngsters played well when they were given chances.

My only concern thus far with the 'new' NHL is that it is losing some of the old things that are vital to the game. These two are fighting and ESPECIALLY hitting. The best hockey I've ever seen was last time in the playoffs against Ottawa. The Leafs just turned it on for about 2 minutes and gave Ottawa about 15 massive hits and were pummeling the Sens. It really gets the crowd roaring because we all love it. I think it may just be that players are afraid to do anything right now, but they shouldn't be afraid to hit - they just have to not use their sticks in suspect ways. Hopefully it's just a bit of a transition period.

Anyway, I'm not in panic mode yet but I'm concerned. The Leafs havent' really impressed me much so far in what will be a division with very good teams.

Ottawa look like Chelsea at the moment  :-\ .

PS: YAY! Edmonton just beat Vancouver in the shootout. (I think Edmonton is certainly my second team - I've got a soft spot for 'em.)
« Last Edit: October 9, 2005, 05:45:40 am by theCanadian »

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: October 9, 2005, 05:51:23 am »
Controversial.

Liverpool hadn't won the CL in 20 years.

The Leafs haven't won the Stanley Cup in 40 years.

The population of Liverpool and surrounding areas is 1,500,000+ ?

The population of the Greater Toronto Area is 5,500,000+.

Believe me, we would at least match it.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #105 on: October 9, 2005, 01:16:06 pm »
Mate, its the 9th of October. The eventual Stanley Cup winners will be raising the trophy in the first week of June. Calm down!

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: October 9, 2005, 02:17:38 pm »

The "Peoples club" of Canada. hahahaha

Offline Scarlet`

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
« Reply #107 on: October 9, 2005, 03:46:38 pm »
.......Aki Berg and......Belak.......what sort of "defense" is that?  It's like putting defenders that play for the Conference vs. AC Milan in the CL Finals or something...

We got to shape up badly or we won't even make it to the playoffs.  We'll slump like the Toronto Blue Jays...and why didn't we get more defenders? 

Oh, I do like our forward line though o.o we seem to be playing like Germany (in football) right now, trying to score more than the opponent does o.O

Offline ScouserTommy37

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: October 9, 2005, 03:48:52 pm »

Oh, I do like our forward line though o.o we seem to be playing like Germany (in football) right now, trying to score more than the opponent does o.O

That's sig worthy comedy that!

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 9, 2005, 09:46:06 pm »

Well, thank fuck we wont have to find out ;)

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 9, 2005, 10:19:36 pm »
Well, thank fuck we wont have to find out ;)

Not this season. As I said, it's as or less likely than Liverpool having won the CL.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 9, 2005, 10:40:02 pm »
I watched the goals of the hab-leafs game and you're right...there was some average defending there.

About the fighting and hitting thing - do you think that that is due to the tightened restrictions on hooking and holding.  What I mean is, coaches aren't putting out their real hard men because those guys tend (not always, though) to be slower or less agile across the ice.  In the past the tough guys have been able to break even defensively by hooking and holding but now they're going to caught for that almost every time.

Same with the big hitting.  Often a big hit does not necessarily result in gaining posession of the puck.  So...players are thinking 'if this hit doesn't come off and they still have posession i will find it hard to catch up with the play and get the puck back or negate them without hooking/holding'.

I'm sure it will even out as we go along.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2005, 03:43:19 am »
Bastard shootout again.

Kaberle and McCabe each got 3 points though, for my fantasy team ;D .

Entertaining game, shootouts are pathetic ways to lose and don't really count IMO. Thus the losing team getting 1 point.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2005, 04:50:45 pm »
Watched the goals from the Toronto - Ottawa game and it seemed like a cracking game.  The game seemed to see-saw one way and then the other and the shootout did seem a bit of an anti climax to it all.

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2005, 06:55:06 pm »
Watched the goals from the Toronto - Ottawa game and it seemed like a cracking game.  The game seemed to see-saw one way and then the other and the shootout did seem a bit of an anti climax to it all.

That's exactly how I'd describe it. Really a piss-poor way to end an otherwise excellent matchup.

The fantasy league standings don't seem to be updating. It shows the scores of last night's matchups but there are no standings. I wonder if it just updates this once a week. Don't see why it would be restricted like this though.

I should be in first place at the moment because I beat ScouserTommy 8-0 last night. :)

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2005, 08:50:36 pm »
The fantasy league standings don't seem to be updating. It shows the scores of last night's matchups but there are no standings. I wonder if it just updates this once a week. Don't see why it would be restricted like this though.

I should be in first place at the moment because I beat ScouserTommy 8-0 last night. :)

From what I can gather it is done on a weekly basis.  Week 2 runs from Oct 10 to Oct 16 so you're currently 8-0 up.  I'm 5-3 down to the Manc. :(

I got screwed on the goaltenders though!  Burke (his) plays 8 minutes and doesn't let in any goals yet Hasek (mine) plays a full game, ok let's in a few, but he wins that category! booo!

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2005, 10:04:16 pm »
From what I can gather it is done on a weekly basis.  Week 2 runs from Oct 10 to Oct 16 so you're currently 8-0 up.  I'm 5-3 down to the Manc. :(

I got screwed on the goaltenders though!  Burke (his) plays 8 minutes and doesn't let in any goals yet Hasek (mine) plays a full game, ok let's in a few, but he wins that category! booo!

;D

The Manc is actually an American I think, just one who is 'supporting' ManUSA.

How long have you been a Hockey fan and how did you get into it? (You live in Liv'pool right?)

Rather predictable that I win 8-0, being Canadian and all...  ;D  8)

Go Leafs Go

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2005, 10:51:18 pm »
;D

The Manc is actually an American I think, just one who is 'supporting' ManUSA.

How long have you been a Hockey fan and how did you get into it? (You live in Liv'pool right?)

Rather predictable that I win 8-0, being Canadian and all...  ;D  8)

Go Leafs Go

Yeah I know he's a yank but he supports Man Yoo so we'll settle on the Yank Manc.

I live in Birmingham, but am Australian.  Loved hockey since I was 13 or 14 and have followed and played it intently since then.  :)

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2005, 03:28:04 am »
GO LEAFS GO!!!

;D ;D ;D

Toronto 4 - 2 Philidelphia

I'm lovin' it.  :champ

Take that DK!!! :P ;D ;)

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2005, 09:52:32 am »
:(

Gutted about that actually.

I thought we might have rolled you as you were under a bit of pressure to notch your first win.  Toronto's always a tough place to go, though...especially if you're Philadelphia.